Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any October 2011 Surgeries out there want to wait together?

Options

Comments

• MargieC
    MargieC Member Posts: 302
    edited September 2011
    Options

Ann --  I have had my vision get worse too.  I never needed reading glasses until I started this journey.  let me know what the eye Dr says,  Good luck with the PS.  I didn't remember all my questions when I meet with mine, but he gave me his email address for anything I think of and he has been great at answer those questions.

Wow I am 7 days from my surgery scary Yell

• MargieC
    edited September 2011
    Options

My company sends out a thought of the day and I thought this one is true to all of us.

Courage is being scared to death . . . and saddling up anyway.

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited September 2011
    Options

The the quote MargieC-very appropriate.

Clams-your wife is such a lucky women to have a man who takes it upon himself to reachout for support for both you and she. We sometimes forget how hard this is on the family of the BC patient. Good luck tonight,  that can be the hardest-the night before. Hold her tight tonight, reassure her that you love her and will always be there and together you two will get through all this.

My vision has been affected big time through all of this. Have worn glasses/contacts since I was 8, so eyesight sucked anyway, but now find that even with contacts in, I have to use readers to see small print-WTH.

• trinity927
    trinity927 Member Posts: 479
    edited September 2011
    Options

I'm having a bilateral mx  (with TEs) on October 3rd and DIEP sometime thereafter ... five days and counting ... to say that I'm a basket case would be an understatement of the century ... Cry

And, today is my birthday ... I joke with my family that this is the worst birthday gift I've ever received!  

• Maria_Malta
    Maria_Malta Member Posts: 667
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi all...watching the list grow and grow quite scary, as is the waiting. Yesterday I went to work, did a lot and felt really ok, today did the same but have this feeling in the pit of my stomach.....

NONETHELESS, all the best thoughts and vibes coming your way from the Mediterranean for your wife and yourself, Clams

For the rest, take it easy and before you know it we'll have come out the other end..Margie, great quotation!

Trinity...Happy Birthday

• MargieC
    edited September 2011
    Options

trinity927 ---  i so know what you mean - including the birthday part - my birthday was 9 days after my first chemo treatment.  I am 6 days out and really getting nervous. I had someone ask me today at work if I was getting excited about surgery and I asked her why I would be excited about surgery and she said after 4 months of chemo I will be cancer free once surgery is over and it was good reminder that even though surgery is scary I will be cancer free when it is done.

• survivor11
    edited September 2011
    Options

Trinity-we share the same surgery date. Wishing you good luck and healing thoughts. Big hugs.

• trinity927
    trinity927 Member Posts: 479
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi Dawn!  Thank you for your support and encouragement! 

I'm sending healing thoughts your way too ... as well as all the other October ladies on here ...

All I know to do right now is pray!   Everyone is definitely in my thoughts and prayers ...

HUGS!

Trinity

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited September 2011
    Options

Update on the ophthalmologist: The eye exam found nothing impressive -- no change in prescription of 10 months ago (even though I sense my vision is worse), and nothing bad behind the eye. He called it "dry eye syndrome" and said to freely use eye drops such as Systane 6 times/day. OK, that's a lot, but I'll try it.Shall we conclude that chemo and/or Herceptin causes dry eyes?

I signed the 11-page consent form at my PS pre-opo visit today, for Reconstruction with TEs. I haven't yet seen the BS consent form, and wonder if that will happen on the day of surgery instead of in advance since I have no more appointments. Got prescriptions filled and bought front-closure soft bras they recommended (Fruit of the Loom from WalMart) plus more button-down PJs. Now if only my house was as clean as I like. I thought I would clean all the blinds and windows, but never found the energy.I haven't packed for the hospital yet. 9 more days.

• Kelleyod
    Kelleyod Member Posts: 125
    edited September 2011
    Options

Trinity - Happy Birthday!!!!  Try to enjoy as much as you can. . . . .  focus on what is good!

Ann - interesting news and good too!. . . .I thought of you today as I was in Tampa at Moffitt Cancer Center . . .Systane is working for me (just plain old dry eyes - not related to bc at all) . . . .   give it a shot!

Clams - thinking of you two. . .  we are all rooting you both on!!!

Hugs, thoughts & prayers coming out to list .  .

• matahead7
    matahead7 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi everyone just found out  surgery date  Octoer 11,2011 BMX with implants with Diep following so I will be waiting with you,

• annalive
    edited September 2011
    Options

Kelleyod - Are you getting treatment at Moffitt? I may have to check there later for a PS who does DIEP surgery. Do you know of any? I'm actually in Lakeland, but I don't think any PS here does the DIEP flap procedure. If I opt for implants, I would just stay here with the same PS, I think, because I like him so far. He said he could refer me to Jacksonville for DIEP, but why go that far when Moffitt is a half hour drive and definitely in my insurance network! Of course, traveling far is worthwhile to get the right surgeon, but I'm hoping to find one at Moffitt.

Are most of you having just overnight stays for BMX + recon? That's what I get if all's well, and I guess I'll be glad to get home even though it seems like such a short stay. DH will be off work for a few days, and DD will be with me for 3+ weeks.

Praying for you all on the list. Innocent

• annalive
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Matahead7 -  Welcome to our October group. These ladies and men are great -- very supportive. I see you are joining GrandmaV with BMX on the same day.
  • survivor11
    edited September 2011
    Options

Forgot to tell you Trinity that I'm a Virgo to, Sept 1st.

AnnAlive, I stayed two nights in hospital after BMX and TE placement.

• Kelleyod
    edited September 2011
    Options

Ann -

I am!  Just PM'ed you the details!   He's a character - and I wouldn't be shocked if he DID do DIEP. . . .  As far as hospital stay, I'm told for Moffitt it's overnight for Mx and then any recon goes up from there. . . I'm looking at 2-3 nights . . . . and then hoping magic and mojo takes over at home!  hahahah . . . .   kelleyod

• kcobb
    kcobb Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2011
    Options

AnnAlive -- I'm having a Prophylactic mastectomy (other breast was removed in 2008 when cancer was discovered) and double DIEP and my doctors are expecting me to be in the hospital for about a week.  Also, my oncologist told me before I started chemo that I might notice a change in my vision and not to worry about it.  Boy was he right!  I noticed a big change -- the first few days after treatment it was almost impossible for me to drive or read but it would improve with time.  And then, another treatment and I'd start all over again.  Once my chemo was over it has returned to normal.

Today was Pre-op for me.  3 hour drive to have my blood pressure, temperature, blood oxygen and heart rate checked; chest x-ray, EKG, blood work and clotting time -- add another 3 hour drive home. So -- as far as the doctors (I'll have 3 surgeons working on me) and hospital go I'm ready!

For me, however, not so much.  Need to get the house cleaned, hire a housekeeper, buy pjs, bras and such; pack, cook and freeze some meals, etc. etc. If any of you find the "Easy Button" that will take care of all of this for all of us, please share!  LOL

• Judy67
    Judy67 Member Posts: 213
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Wow, went out of town for the weekend and pages of new posts cropped up.  I cannot tell you how much it helps to read everyone's experiences.  Trinity 927 - Happy Birthday!  I hope next year you'll truly be able to celebrate being on the other side of this experience.  Last night I played my last game of soccer with my women's team.  I was overwhelmed when I went to the game and they were all wearing pink soccer socks in my honor and had a pair for me too.  We played in bright pink socks that totally clashed with our uniform.  I have had the best support from friends throughout this experience.  I have a few family members who seem to have trouble processing and I think are afraid to call me.  Some of the family who I have talked to sometimes talk to me in somber, depressed tones and I am trying to be positive and matter of fact that this is something I have to go through and I will make it and hopefully come out stronger.  My daughter, husband, and I tend to use dark humor to cope.  My son is away at college and we spent last weekend with him.  He seems to be taking it all pretty well and is running in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Lubbock this Saturday with his physics team from school.  He's raised over $500 this past week.  He is most concerned about the surgery itself.  My PS said about 6 hours total, wow!  Thanks guys so much just for being here and I will be praying this month for each and everyone of you.
  • Danadane
    Danadane Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi October sisters,

I hope everyone is hanging in there. The ticking in my head is definitely getting louder as surgery gets closer. I'm now just basically sick to my stomach all the time with nerves (I guess it could be all the chocolate and wine though too!).

Thanks for the responses to my "total panic" email. I did meet with the PS....who by the way is 6'2" and gorgeous. There should be a rule that all PSs should be old and ugly. :) I was so nervous about flashing my saggy boobs that I kind of forgot to be mad! Anyway, he was actually quite nice. Of course he did the soft sell for implants, which is his main business other than TRAM.

I decided to go with the TE's for now with the plan of meeting other surgeons to investigate my other options (DIEP, etc) after recovery from the bmx. I feel good about the decision just wish it didn't have to come with all the anxiety.

Did my pre-op stuff today too. Not a big deal but it does kind of put it in your face that the day is right around the corner.

One last thing, I saw a couple things I wanted to pass on:

...for return home: plastic cups and bendy straws (may have seen this on surgery post but someone said it's hard to maneuver with our sad little arms after surgery).

...was looking at posts for feeling better after TEs: saw a suggestion for a book that seems highly recommended "The Breast Cancer Survivors Fitness Plan." I'll let you know after I've taken a look at it.

Sorry for the small novel. Sending everyone healing thoughts and peaceful dreams!

Thanks,

Dana

• LisaWade
    LisaWade Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2011
    Options

Wow thank you for all the understanding and support ladies you are awesome! I'm not crying today so I guess I'm handlng the the fact that I have to wait longer okay now... (k so not really but it looks like I am and that makes the family happier anyway... just don't tell them)

Happy Birthday Trinity!

I'm online a lot but since I broke my wrist back in December,and after my lumpectomy and SN  my arm and hand swell and ache really badly at times, so I may not get to post that often(sitting and typing really hurt sometimes) but I love reading and catching up on how everyone is doing and please know you are all in my heart, thoughts and prayers and it'ss been my honour to have met the ladies in the Sept group and now my lovely Oct. group as well you are all very special indeed

• MargieC
    edited September 2011
    Options

Ann-  Glad the vision issue is just dry eyes.  I am guessing that is my issue too.  I use to have dry eye all the time and now that I think about it it did effect my vision.  I picked up eye drops and are now using them regularly (one tip get drops that do not have preservatives - when using drops frequently drops with preservatives will dry your eyes.  I like refresh plus vials).  My PS told me 1-2 nights in the hospital since I am have BMX with reconstruction.  I have put together my hospital packing list.  My last day at work is tomorrow and then Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon DH and I will meet one last time with BS, clean the house, pack for hospital, grocery shopping, have BBB (by by boobies) party with friends and walk in the susan g komen race for a cure.  I have been told by some of my "sister" who have had surgery keep yourself as busy as possible the days leading up to surgery.

sending prayers and hugs to all my Oct sisters.  We are just days away from all of us starting to have surgery.

• Kelleyod
    edited September 2011
    Options

Margie - would you mind sharing your packing list here?  

• Clams
    Clams Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2011
    Options

Sitting in the waiting room.  Almost 2 hours in, another 4+ to go.  Yesterday and this morning she was much better than I thought she'd be.  Not much sleep last night but she was strong and brave and had her game face on this morning.  Incredible.  Now fingers are crossed that all goes well...

• MargieC
    edited September 2011
    Options

Kellyod --  here is what I have.  ---  I have been told by a number of "sisters" who have had surgery don't bother with magazine and books. 

eye drops

meds

slippers

robe and PJ (but I was told I probably wouldn't be aload to put the PJ's one)

bandana for head (since I did chemo first I have no hear right now)

tooth brush and tooth paste

MP3 player with noise cancelling headphones

ipad and charger

pillows for drive home

warm up with zip front hoddie to wear home

snacks for DH

----  List for at home after surgery

smooth move tea

colace

prune juice and prunes

green tea

paper tape (I am allergic to some medical tapes)

silky PJ (they make it easier to slide off furniture)

move clothes to dresser

move dishes to counter 

foods - protein rich good, fresh fruits and veggies

Hope this helps

• Maria_Malta
    Maria_Malta Member Posts: 667
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi all, Just checking in to say had my pre-op appts today...bloods, meeting anaesthetist (unfortunately NOT 6' 2 and gorgeous, Danadane!!!), chest x ray, ecg,blood pressure, etc etc also met physiotherapist and breast care nurse.  A couple of things they told me which could be useful:

for the first 3 weeks, keep tea, coffee, cups and so on, food/utensils we use all the time on the kitchen counter if they are normally kept in upper kitchen cupboards.

if clothes items (underwear/t shirts etc) are normally kept in a chest of drawers with large drawers, to take out a few clothes for the first week or so, so we don't have to keep opening the drawer and possibly straining ourselves.

for those of us having a bmx, we will probably have to sleep on our backs for the first 2/3 weeks.  it might be more comfortable for our backs to use a low pillow and place a pillow under our knees

to keep a small pillow nearby in case we need to sneeze or cough, as holding it against chest will cushion the strain. (also useful to use in car on way home)

to bear in mind that lymphoedema could happen any time if we are not careful, even once months or years have passed.  ie, to try and alter the way we do things (lower washing lines, careful about carrying heavy weights like buckets full of water,and so on)

to massage moisturising cream UP the affected arm, from wrist to shoulder, not the reverse.

to wear gloves for cleaning or gardening in the first weeks to avoid infection

to avoid dusting (fine dust could get inside bra)

Since I have no intention of doing any cleaning in the first fortnight I think I'll ignore the last 2 recommendations!!!

Bye all, take care of yourselves

• annalive
    edited September 2011
    Options

MargieC - I had picked up Systane because others on a Herceptin thread said their Oncs suggested it, and then my Onc's nurse said it was fine. But now I see it does have preservatives, so will look for Refresh or another without preservatives -- crazy that it contains an ingredient that will further dry the eyes! I'll have to take a magnifying glass to read the really fine print. You are really ambitious in your last days before surgery! I'm still fatigued from chemo and/or Herceptin, so feel like resting instead of cleaning the house. I will have a 21-month-old toddler in the house starting Saturday, though, so that will liven things up when my DD arrives with him.

Lisa - Sorry you have to keep waiting. You'll find things to do!

KCobb - All the good advice and support we get on these forums may be the closest we come to an Easy button! DD will come to the rescue, but there are certain things I'll have to get ready first.

• Danadane
    edited September 2011
    Options

Trinity-- belated happy birthday!

Maria -- belated congrats on the shrinkage ( boy, that doesn't come off right does it!)!

Annalive -- I just reread the last few days of posts since I've been kind of out of it and saw that you had to travel such a long way for treatment. Yuck! I'm guessing the drive must be miserable. Since you'll be in the hospital a few days will family stay near you at the hospital?

Margie -- would love to see the packing list too! I went to Target on Sunday to stock up on things and nearly had a meltdown in the bra aisle.

I've packed this stuff already:

- 2 small travel pillows for the ride home from hospital;

- lip balm

- lozenges ( for sore throat after surgery)

- mints

- face/body wipes (there were lots to choose from in the cosmetics aisle)

- slippers, button front pjs, robe

- eye shade

- ear plugs

- mp3 player with relaxing music (probably won't use but figure I'll take along).

Gigantic hugs to everyone!

Dana

• Kelleyod
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hello all. . .

My work "cancer buddy" sent me this yesterday . . . 

http://secondbasedispatch.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/the-10-commandments-of-breast-cancer1.pdf

I found it interesting enough that I thought I would share with y'all.  The 10 commandments of breast cancer!

Clams - keep us posted!  Glad she had her game face on. . . . the time is now to kick some booty!

Ann / Margie - WHAT?!  Preservatives. . . . ah man!  

Trying to get my act together today!   Thanks for the inspiration!

• annalive
    edited September 2011
    Options

Margie & Danadene - Thanks for your packing lists to ponder. Good for a jumpstart when it's so hard to concentrate.

Clams - Praying it goes well for your wife. I can imagine my husband doing the same thing -- browsing and writing messages during my surgery.

Danadene - You addressed me, but I'm not the one with the long drive and long stay. My drive is 20 min and stay is overnight. Smile

• Danadane
    edited September 2011
    Options

Maria and Margie -- I must have been typing and didn't see your awesome lists, suggestions. Thanks!

Clams -- Thinking of you both.

Kelleyod -- loved the link!

Hope everyone's hanging in there,

Dana

• Danadane
    edited September 2011
    Options

Annalive--- can I claim chemotherapy brain if I haven't had chemotherapy yet!! :)