Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

"The most ENCOURAGING things said to you during your journey"

Options

Comments

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    Options

The most encourgaing thing said to me during my journey, is from fiancee at the time,(we were planning our wedding when diagnosed)"I LOVE YOU more than the breast, I want U to live and you will" I still get emotional, we were married and I have been cancer free for 17 yrs (Praise the Lord). msphil (idc,stage 2, 3 nodes involved, Lmast). God Bless

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,966
    Options

Awesome, msphil. Congratulations on both your good health AND your great guy!

• pebee
    pebee Member Posts: 96
    Options

It was within the first two weeks of my diagnois, and someone ordered a chest x-ray. the only time that was open was late on a Friday at our hospital - a non-profit, but not affliated with a religion.

I went in - the technician must have seen my diagnois and before she lined me up, she held my hand and said "I pray for every woman that comes through here with this diagnois.  I do it every day before I start my shift.  I pray for all of you to have a swift and safe journey though this hell".

She was one of the first medical people who said this, and it gave me back my courage.  There were others who had been in this room, and others would follow me.  It helped.  It helped alot.

• ruthbru
    Options

After bringing me into a private fitting room, the beautican who was going to help me choose and fit me with my wig asked if it would be OK if she prayed for me before we started. Then she told me her story, how she herself is a breast cancer survivor, and how her business was really a mission to her.  What a wonderful testimony to me that I could get through this, and then use the experience to help others as she was doing.

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    Options

I'm not sure how uplifting this might be for anyone else, but this made a world of difference to me when I was first DX'd, back in March.

I was at the intro meeting for the Avon Walk, something I had planned on doing this year even before receiving my DX, let alone having to go for a biopsy on some suspicious calcs found at my routine mammogram a couple weeks before. The meeting was on a Tuesday, and my appointment with my BC was the previous Thursday, so like I said, it was really fresh.

So I got to the part in the form where you check off whether you're a survivor or not... and was stumped. I hadn't had any treatment or surgery or anything yet, so I DIDN'T KNOW!! I totally broke down crying at this point, a complete basketcase in front of all these other women who didn't know me at all. A kind woman came up to me and asked if she could help, and between sobs I told her my situation. Her response was simple and straightforward: "You're a survivor from the moment you get diagnosed."

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,700
    Options

My wonderful BS hand-makes cards for her patients.  When she met me and DH was with me and she heard about our history together, she started to call us "super-couple!"  That made me feel good since she was confident with us supporting each other, we can get through anything!

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    Options

This was not said to me during my journey, but it is something that I saw that I wanted to share...

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”

~ John Lennon

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    Options

I LOVE reading such uplifting stories from all of you who are willing to share them..PLEASE keep them coming....I know that they are just what some of our sisters need to hear right now...

God bless!

Tori 

• kks_rd
    kks_rd Member Posts: 99
    Options
    "I love you Kat. I just met you and already I just love you!"  This was from a lady who came by my door today collecting money for the local BC charity... I explained to her that I was currently funding my own battle with BC and she gave me like three hugs, asked for my name so she could add me to her church's prayer list, and told me she loves me.  It was a little strange but honestly this lady was a fellow survivor (4 years cancer-free) and SO personable and enthusiastic; it was really quite uplifting!
  • SheChirple
    SheChirple Member Posts: 95
    Options

I'm newly diagnosed and waiting for my BMX on 11/28.  All my plans are made and I'm just waiting.  One of my co-workers said "you are amazing.  When we are at work you are just all business, like nothing is wrong, sometimes I just forget.  You sooo put me at ease that way. You are amazing."

That made me feel good, that I can at least appear that all is normal.  Most everyone treats me like usual, which is exactly what I want and need right now...to NOT be thinking about this every minute of every day.

• dreaming
    dreaming Member Posts: 219
    Options

My son was a Senior in High School, and the first day of my chemo, that I was going to be getting at home, his friends from the football team came to sit and keep me and my son company, one told me"We want to tell you Mrs L. that you will do great, the most popular girls at school , all had a mastectomy and chemo" I white lie, that made me smile and be less afraid.

All this months of treatment they will sit quietly keeping us company. Young people are great.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

A friend, who is a 5 year survivor, told me "I found that there were angels along my path every step of the way. And you will find this to be true, as well."

She was SO right! It helped me open my eyes and focus on the blessings in my life, not just the challenges. I have met so many angels already, and I'm just starting out!

The other thing that has comforted me, encouraged me, and lifted me up - are the words - the AMAZING words that family and friends have left on the Guest Book on my Caring Bridge page!!!

• kks_rd
    Options

Bump!

I thought of one - although it's more of an act than something said.  There's a young man with whom I've worked for about three years; I was his boss for about a year.  Shortly after my diagnosis, he approached me with two pink ribbon pins and asked me to choose one.  I must have looked confused but he said nothing until after I chose one.  He then said, "And I will wear the other one."  This simple act of solidarity was just one of the first shown to me by my colleagues... I am really have been blessed... since then, this guy has transferred to another department (and moved to another shift, so he can be home with his new baby) so I won't see him as often as I used to.  But every time I do, he's still wearing that pin.  (Mine is pinned to the tote bag I take with me to the hospital.)

• negirly
    negirly Member Posts: 199
    Options

I was having a horrible day, was in treatment and found out my husband was having an affair (started before I was dx'd) and a man at starbucks said "I like your haircut" I replied "it's not by choice" and he said "i know"....Makes me cry just thinking about the kindness of strangers....

An older gentleman approached me at the mall and said "If you tell me your name I wil pray for you" I did and he walked away (like an angel) - in the background r.Kelly's song was playing "the worlds greatest"...

• ruthbru
    Options

there are truly angels amongst us

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    Options

I call it "encouraging" -- I received an invitation to speak at a Transition to Wellness panel to be held this Thursday at my Breast Cancer center.    Apparently those who know me - and my oncologist - recommended me.    Maybe this is bragging a bit, but it sure "made my day".

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    lovemyfamilysomuch Member Posts: 762
    Options

Brag away sista!  xo

• pickle
    pickle Member Posts: 70
    Options

I had a lot of encouraging things said to me but the most encouraging was when it was time to take the sterstrips off my mastectomy site. The steristrips are really hard to remove and I was scared that I would reopen my scar. My husband started a bubble bath for me, poured me a glass of wine and said we'd soak them. We both got into the tub, sipped our wine and as the strips started to soften my hubby gently peeled them off one by one. When we got them all off my husband put his hand over my scar and said " the surgeon did a beautiful job and I am so grateful that he is a master of his craft" I just knew at that point that I /We would get through this. We did it together every step of the way.

Hugs to all

Beth

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    Options

Beth, that was just beautiful...thank you for sharing such a touching story...

GramE-that is just awesome!  Like LMFSM said, "Brag away"!

Kat-that is one exceptional young man and friend that you have there!

kward70-I agree with Ruthbru...there are angels around us...they are just waiting for us to notice them.... 

I love everyone's stories....

God bless... 

Tori 

• cheryl1946
    cheryl1946 Member Posts: 62
    Options

I love all these comments,I've laughed out loud and cried

Thank God for this site.

• kks_rd
    Options

Keep 'em coming girls!!  Thanks Tori for starting this thread :)

• ruthbru
    Options

and we can play the part of an angel too, by helping someone else along the way.....

• Miles2Go
    Miles2Go Member Posts: 17
    Options

Funniest queston came from my 4-year-old granddaughter, because I told her I had a "weed growing in my body" just like they grown in the garden~ and a very special doctor was going to take the weed out of my body.  Following surgery (on the phone), she asked me if the doctor took my weed out; I said she did, to which my granddaughter replied, "What special tool did the doctor use?"  I told her it was complicated and we'd talk more later, to which she said, "Okay, Gramma."

Encouraging.  1)  My husband, (emergency admission to the hospital 4 days before my scheduled surgery) as he talked to his admitting physician,  "I am going to be across the street in the surgery center next Tuesday if I have to remove my IV myself."  Now that's commitment!  (He was released prior to my surgery.)

2) Steadfast love & emotional support from my husband as my diagnosis became our diagnosis ~ and mutually his diagnosis became our diagnosis, with positive thinking and verbal expressions which continue and shall!  

3)  My daughter's love & emotional support; she told me decades ago, "Mom, everything is temporary."  (Translation:  there are better times ahead.)

3)  From my massage therapist who weekly reminds me of what a strong woman I am, what an inspiration I am, with integrity.  We've known each other for years.

As supported in love by family and friends I am, I am grateful to be equally supported by you, women who support each other in love on BCO, giving us a forum to express thoughts and feelings otherwise kept to ourselves.  Self-expression is a great healer.  Thank you, CMG 

• bc50
    bc50 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Thanks for starting this thread, Tori.  I'm starting chemo in 2 days and really needed to see these posts! 

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,508
    Options

Wonderful thread....I need to go back to the beginning and read all the comments...just read this page....

• Patriotic
    Patriotic Member Posts: 30
    Options

What a great thread. I have tears in my eyes trying to recount all of the inspirational people I've met on this journey. The top 3 encouraging words were:

1. "You are the toughest woman I know. You are gonna be fine."

2. "Negative people must be banned during treatment." (house cleaning accomplished!)

3. "Human beings are made up of flesh and blood and a miracle fiber called courage." (George Patton)

• SheChirple
    SheChirple Member Posts: 95
    Options

pickle...you made me cry...and that's not easy.  God Bless that man of yours.

• CharB22
    CharB22 Member Posts: 87
    Options

I was diagnosed 3 days ago, but on the way out of the surgeon's office, my dh said, "You are not battling breast cancer, you are surviving it."

My other favorite it is from my college roommate - a 9 year survivor. She said to me, "You are so strong. I survived this and you will too."

And finally, from my surgeon: "This is only a bump in the road. You WILL be fine."

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    Options

CharB, my BS's nurse said the same thing to me as well: "This is just a bump in the road. Youi deal with it, and then get on with your life." This comment didn't minimize my ordeal of having breast cancer, but rather gave me the confidence to know that I would, indeed, be fine.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    Options

A comment that encouraged me to live my life..."Don't ruin today by worrying about what might happen tomorrow." I know...easier said than done, but I think that it is a good goal to shoot for.