Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ottawa ladies?

Options

Comments

• Kyta
    Kyta Member Posts: 273
    Options

Dragonfly - Sorry to hear your news. As you said, when you're expecting one thing and get told something else, it can be shocking and disappointing. And yes, lesson learned, for the next few months anyway, bring someone with you to your appointments!! Re your surgery timing, having reconstruction at the same time, and the type of reconstruction…..it's all completely your decision. Unfortunately though, coordinating surgeons' schedules can be a problem. Depending on the severity of your cancer and how quickly your BS may want to get it out should also influence the decision. I think there's pros and cons to immediate vs delayed reconstruction and you have to decide what's best for you. If it works out, I think having an mx and immediate reconstruction is a great option. Speaking for myself, I was in a state of shock when I found out I had BC and needed a mastectomy. The BS suggested that I may want to consider a BMX,but I just couldn't deal with anything else at the time, including reconstruction, so I opted to just have the uni mx which was scheduled quickly. A year later I had a prophy mx on the other side and started reconstruction (TEs to implants). It was the right decision for me, but another person may feel completely differently about what to do.  Let us know what you decide and good luck.

Caro - Feeling cranky is normal…..you've been through a very traumatic experience. Looking in the mirror and seeing yourself after a mx is not easy….it's like going through a period of mourning. It takes time to get used to. The good news (if you can call it that) is that it will get easier. You'll get used to the way you look and knowing that it's temporary helps….and most importantly, you know that the cancer is out!! Re clothing, my 1st and 2nd mx a year later were both around this time in the winter. Layering in cold winter months makes it much easier to camouflage. Scarves come in very handy and loose shirts until you're able to get a prosthesis. Also keep in mind that you're your own worse critic about how you look in clothes….most of what you notice and are concerned about, will not be obvious to others.

I've been working my ass off at work the past few weeks preparing for being away for awhile. As of tomorrow I'm on holidays! I need to get my shit together for Christmas. Took the last 3 days of the week off plus next week between Christmas and New Years. Then our family is going to Cozumel the first week of Jan. I'm back at work Jan 13 and 16 only, then off on sick leave for my exchange surgery on Jan 17th….I can't wait to get rid of these tissue expanders and get implants that will hopefully feel much better.

• dragonfly55
    dragonfly55 Member Posts: 97
    Options

Wow Mich - what a busy and exciting time for you. I thought I was tired before reading your post ;-).

I may be taken somewhere warm for a week (Cuba or Mexico?) if I can fit it in. I was offered a vacation to Hawaii (with cruise of islands then a week stay at resort) after surgery, but that went out the window after Monday's news.

Caro - my surgeon is Dr. Arnaout. She is very nice. She is a strong believer in breast-saving if possible and I've been told she is careful with her decisions. That was good to hear. She seems to favour implants for recon, as it is shorter surgery and not as hard on your body.

My surgery date is Jan. 18. I go on 17 to get dye injected for SNB. On Thursday, 22, I see PS, Dr. Boyd. I have a day to learn about reconstruction, so I am grounded in my consultation. I am falling asleep in the middle of posting... Don't know how I'll stay awake to reads?#~¿¥^%?z! Any input appreciated.

Take care. Wishing you good health!

• Kyta
    Options

Hawaii sound wonderful…if you can swing it, go for it!! Good luck with your appt on Thursday. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I can speak to my experience with tissue expanders and I think Michele is scheduled for DIEP surgery soon.

• dragonfly55
    Options

Thanks Mich.

My grandkids (2 1/2 and almost 4) sang me Happy Birthday at 7 a.m. Just told Jason (in excited tone. He was being grumpy) it's my birthday. He said,"again. Does that mean your not old any more?" ...."Are you getting younger?" I wish. LOL. I love the way kids think!

I don't know what types of recon surgery the PS does. This seems to be the one thing I may have some control over. There are times I feel so angry and helpless (you can't change what is.) so I have today to find out a bit about surgical options.

With todays freezing rain, time for indoor research. We need old man winter to visit at least by Christmas Eve by 5pm. And snow through the night so when we wake up we see a blanket of snow glistening in the shining sun. I'm dreaming of a white Christmas......

• Kyta
    Options

Happy Birthday Sandi!!! Hoping by next year's birthday this whole BC crap will be but a distant memory for you.

I hate freezing rain and happy that I didn't have to go to work today. Not crazy about snow either and have to say I'd be ok with a green Christmas which apparently is a real possibility this year. 

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    Options

Sandi, Happy Birthday...It's to bad your vacation to Hawaii is a no go...Could it not be changed to go a little later?  Sounds like your grand kids singing to you is a real treat..

I came home from work early.  I wanted to be off the roads before the crazies hit the road...It wasn't to bad until I was coming down my street and slid past my neighbours house...I wasn't driving fast at all.  The main roads are not to bad. I too, don't mind a white Christmas, but I do feel guilt for thinking that,,,my daughter wants snow so bad.

Carol, how are you doing?   getting used to the new you will come..I found it hardest in the bedroom..if you get my drift.  It's hard to feel sexy when you feel like a cow with one udder, not the sex goddess I use to be...hehe.

• Kyta
    Options

Speaking of bad roads, my husband just ditched his car in front of our house…it's hung up on the stone wall at the end of the driveway. Waiting for CAA. Drive carefully if you're out tonight.

• dragonfly55
    Options

Well, it looks

Like last nights post disappeared in cyberspace.

Mich, hope car and hubby are okay after yesterdays hang up.

Michele, roads sure are better today, no more sliding. I hate icy roads.

Carolyne, how are you feeling/ doing? I bet it's busy around your place. Is your Mom there? Has your daughter been cooking more meals?

Rednirah, bet you'll be glad when the Christmas shopping/returns is done at Bayshore. Does the "optometry" business get busier too.

Coni, How is the house hunting going?

Nanababy, how was Vancouvelr?

• caro46
    caro46 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Hi there!

I`m doing pretty good physically speaking... Today I went to two christmas shows at my kids school and everyone who knew I was having surgery as surprised to see me there! The pain is really... almost absent! I do have some fluid build up tho, the nurse said to keep her informed if it gets worst and it did a bit today... I almost looked like I had two boobs! I`ll call her tomorrow.  It does look like there is still lots of room for more and so i hope it`s just because I didn`t wear the annoying tensor bandage today, it`s back on no for the night.

Mymom is still here and cooking like crazy! Soon I`ll post on here to offer her food to you ladies! My frezer is slowly filling up!  My girls actually were very `normal`` this wek.  As much as they were expecting me to be out of it, by the time they saw me on Sunday they had a hard time believing that I had surgery... god only knows what they were expecting! A little funny: I switched to Percocet on sunday as suggested by the visiting nurse and it made me so stone I told the girls they could do my make up! (I never wear make up!) so when they were done I looked like a hooker! lol

Sandi, Do you have a surgery date? I know it`probably in previous posts but I`m on an ipod and it`s very difficult to navigate ...  If you ave any questions about the surgery I had I`ll be happy to tell you about my very recent experience... Just let me know and we can either meet or talk on the phone.

Michelle, I hope your hubby is ok... I had to smile at the idea of sliding past your neighbour`s house!

Be good Santa is coming in 3 more sleeps!

Carolyne

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    Options

Dragon- Bayshore .....nightmare. My clinic, extremely busy, ppl want to use up insurance, or get contacts for parties..... Students coming back , so yes I'm working till Xmas eve and then all next week until new yrs eve.... Parking is so bad at mall.....

• micheleboots
    Options

Hello ladies...Sounds like everyone is feeling some Christmas love/stress...

Red, this is the first time I havn't worked on Xmas eve...I kinda wish I was..I love that day. People for the most part are happy...mostly panicked men shopping..All they want is a little help with suggestions and to know if it can be returned if they messed up.

Carol, take it easy and feel better soon.  Sounds like your girls had a good time making their mom, one hottttt mama..I hope they took pictures.  You could use it as your avatar.

Sandy, I hate it when I have the time to type out a long post then...zap....it's gone.  That's why mine are short but sweet..that and I am a sucky typer/speller.

Well I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday....I'm sure the boards will be quite for a few days...I wish everyone a pain free and healthy holiday as well.  Gentle hugs for you Carol.Kiss

• maureens
    maureens Member Posts: 8
    Options

Ladies,

A happy Christmas to all.  Liking the snow more than the freezing rain we had Wednesday.

Mich, hope the care is fine a repair bill is not the Christmas gift we want.

Carolyne, sounds like you've come through surgery with great style by way of your daughter's 'tool chest', as my husbands calls my makeup.

I received my early Christmas present yesterday, I guess I was not a good girl--my tumor is malignant so now I wait for an appointment to talk about radiation therapy.  On the positive good margins were achieved--think I'll need to cling to that as my life line.  Feeling crappy today but I will get my Christmas on!

Thanks for giving me a place to feel 'normal' and not be the elephant in the room.

M

• caro46
    Options

Sorry to hear your bad news Maureens.  I see you still found something positive tho! I guess that's what we have to do when this "crap" (pardon the language) hits us, find the good sides...

I had to go to emerg today as I had quite a bit of fluid build up and the visiting nurse didn't like that.  At the hospital they said there isn't much they can do about it for now, not enough to drain and I don't have any signs of infection. But this evening I am not feeling very good and I am kind of getting anxious about this. I wonder why the surgeon didn't put a drain in? Anyone in the same situation?

On the other end, had a nice dinner with my partner, brother and mom, waiting for the kids to come over from their dad's tomorrow. Then it'll be christmas!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Caro

• Kyta
    Options

Lucky for us the car was pulled out the next morning and there was no damage, so we were very happy!

Maureens - I'm sorry for your news. When was your surgery? Sorry if I missed a previous post of yours that provided the details. I'm sure you're disappointed and understand why you're feeling crappy. Good luck with whatever treatment you'll need.

Dragonfly - how did the appt with the plastic surgeon go?

Caro - I had a drain with mx and thought that was pretty standard. If you can get away without one that's a good thing…. I hope you don't have any further problems with fluid build-up. Wishing you good healing:)

Merry Christmas everyone and wishing you all a healthy 2012!!! 

Mich 

• dragonfly55
    Options

Maureens, What a time to get such crappy news! I'm sorry that it's happened to you. Good margins means no more surgery, right ? Did you have a lumpectomy or mx? When do you see the oncologist (is that the person you see for radiation and chemo? Hope you were able to have a good Christmas Day and keep your mind off things for a while.

Red, you deserve some time off. Do you get a break. When's your surgery? Coming up soon isn't it? (I know it's posted...
    but I lose my text as soon as I look back as well as so many other times... Set back of my cell phone)

1 of ? texts

• dragonfly55
    Options

Gee, I can't believe how tired I am. From averaging 2-5 hours a night to pass out sleep and exhaustion doing non-physical things like reading and texting here.

A belated "Thank You" for my birthday wishes. Today, I am feeling my age: older, tireder and fatter. My birthday was fun with my little grandkids. I missed a surprise birthday party for me though. I couldn't figure out why it was so important for me to be in Perth on the 21st.

Christmas Eve, we went to friends and Midnight Mass. Christmas Day, we celebrated with more friends. We had a nice time. Lots of good conversation and food. Boxing Day was so beautiful. We went for a walk, had a snowball fight and relaxed in the hot tub.

We are going away to the Riviera Maya Jan. 6-13. To get away from the snow, stress and surgery to come. It may be the last time I wear a bathing suit for a while.

2/2

• dragonfly55
    Options

Caro - How are you feeling? Are you still experiencing fluid build-up, etc.? My BS had mentioned something about drains, but I don't remember what she said. It's nice when the kids back home for Christmas. I could hardly wait for my kids to get home from their dad's at Christmas... Reflecting back - Has your Mom stopped cooking? I can still remember my Mom's cooking. The best! I can cook, but never like her. I would have liked to see you "new look", courtesy of your girls. I'm thinking of going to a "Look Good, Feel Better' session. It is offered once a month at Civic, General and QCH hospitals.

• dragonfly55
    Options

I can't believe it's just a few days to New Years Eve. We are going to a Chinese auction "party." We each bring that "unwanted" Christmas gift to the party. Throughout the evening you earn points. Then you can bid on any item(s) you want and can afford. It should be fun.

New Years Day, my DD turns 25. My little man, grandson turns "4" on the 18th.

Add to this a trip to Mexico Jan. 6- 14(3am).... For rest and relaxation and vitamin D.

Pre-op Jan. 16, dye injection 17, surgery 18 (J's b-day)

The following I think may be self-indulgent. When I think about mx, I know it is to remove a risk to my life. Reconstruction is to give me a replacement breast. Which, for me, I prefer.

My appointment with PS was not quite what I hoped for. She says I do not have enough fat. (I also lose some due to vertical ceasarian scar. (Re: blood vessels) If I have free flap surgery, she said I would be an "A" cup. (I'm DD now). A pedical flap, I may be small "C". I don't think I want implants. I am not having my right breast removed. She will reduce it in a couple months to match the other.

(possibility for fat necrosis, so I may end up with implant later). What is DIEP? I'ma little stressed and having a hard time looking at and understanding this stuff. I have a tendency to get keloid scarring. She said she does fine stitching. But there is not a lot you can do for scarring.

Please bear with me as I rant. I hate this. I have an ugly c-scar and now i'll have ugly chest and stomach scars. My face has aged 10 years.....i've gained 10 pounds..... Some of my friends talk to me for a few minutes and are gone......or people I barely know ask me how I am feeling. To which I respond. "good.". I find this whole thing hard to talk about, except here. Okay. Rant done.

Thank you for listening.

• caro46
    Options

Hi Dragonfly,

I hear you re.: the learning curve is pretty steep when you have to learn about all this stuff in a small amount of time! I don't know yet what the reconstructive surgery will be like, I still have to meet with the PS.  I know it will be implants but I'm not sure what the options are...

Will you have someone to help you after surgery? I hope youre having drains, the fluid build up has caused me the most stress since the surgery!  I had to go to emerg on tuesday to have the fluid drained.

Got to go for now but I have more to say so I'll be back later!

Carolyne

• Kyta
    Options

Hi ladies

Caro - sorry to hear the fluid is still an issue for you! Although drains are not fun, they serve the purpose I guess. Hope the draining you had yesterday does the trick. Besides that problem, are you feeling ok?

Hi Dragonfly - sounds like you're having a tough go of it. The time before surgery is the worst because you're forever worried about it…it's just kind of hanging over your head. You'll feel better after surgery…honestly it'll get better. I'm glad to hear you've booked a trip. That'll help keep your mind occupied. I've been to the Mayan a few times….where are you staying? I'll be in Cozumel Jan 4 to 11 and my surgery is on the 17th (exchange to implants) one day before yours. Sounds like you still have a lot of questions about reconstruction, so will you still be having immediate recon?

• micheleboots
    Options

Hello ladies...wow, I wish I was going on a trip...

I spent the day on my sofa today.  I pulled something in my neck/back shoveling the other day...I am in big time pain...gd snow..when will winter be over?

Carol, gosh I hope you feel better soon..

Mich, glad to hear no damage to your car.  We didn't hear from the other driver my son hit...phew.  Can't realy afford to fix someone elses car.

Good news in the house...son got accepted to both Ottawa U and Carlton..double phew.

Any big plans for new years..we are having friends over.  I hope my neck is better before then.

• caro46
    Options

Michele, for your neck do the doorway stretch. (I assume you have the blue book for exercises after surgery?) I used to have trouble with my neck and my massage therapist recommended that and it works wonders.  If your neck is really stuck you might have to do it a few times but it eventually works.

Having the fluid drained felt wonderful! I hope it won't get as bad again.

Do I ever wish I was going away too! I could really use it! I loved having my mom over but I was happy to have my house to myself again! I do have a freezer half full of yummy stuff and am really thankfull for her help.  She was a bit upset I decided to stay here (was supposed to go to Qc with her) but I needed to be close to my doc and nurse... Speaking of nurse... the one who comes to my house is wonderful and very comforting.  She called as I was having an anxiety attack about the fluid build up and made me feel so much better! I was worried I was over reacting to this and she told me to go to the hospital and let them decide if I was over reacting or not.

Dragonfly, I get how you feel... and as the other ladies say on this blog, it does get better after surgery.  Are you getting a visiting nurse? that's a big help because I believe they send someone who is familiar with BC surgery and they know what they re talking about.  I found it really helpful to understand what is happening in your body after surgery, the meds and exercise etc... Even with the fluid build up she was able to give me a good idea of waiting vs going to get it drained.  Hopefully you're having drains and you wont have to deal with that.  Again if you need to talk or need any kind of support please do not hesitate to let me know and I'll be happy to help any way I can.

And thatks for the concerns and words of encouragement from the rest of you|!

Good night

Carolyne

• redninrah
    Options

Hello ALL- and yes ive worked all this week!!! the mall is still busy, im thinking to myself, ppl go homeeeeeeeeeeeee! LOL. ITs all good, im offering a service to all those who need it, so im glad my clinic is open. From ppl who want to party with CL or ppl who have broken glasses over xmas.

The advantage of being in a mall, is that i get to see the sales........note to all, some of the prices are the same!! they just changed the stickers to say BOXING DAY SALE , ya rite!!!

im working all next week, and then Jan 9th..........SURGERY!!! yay!! ill be off for 6 weeks.

Gt way to spend my winter, no ski ing for me LOL

I had no drains with my masectomy, but i went in every 3 weeks to get drained...LOL

Life is good, and im just happy to be cancer free!!! and to be around ladies like you all

BIG HUGS!!!

• caro46
    Options

Hi Red, Nice to hear from you! You also had Dr. Lorimer, I just remembered... Did you ever ask him why he doesn't put in drains? I'm curious to know, I'll ask him at my apt next week.

I was shopping for snow pants for my daughter and was very disapointed in their so called sales! Sports Chjeck advertised 20 to 60 % off on everything in the store... well it was all 20% off and very few items for 60% off.  Drives me nuts! So I ended up shopping at Canadian tire and walmart and they actually have awesome sales!

Michele, how is your neck today? I hope it feels better soon, nothing worst than a sore neck!

Quiet day at home with my daughter and nieces, just watching tv and doing some crafts.

Have a nice day everyone!

Carolyne

• redninrah
    Options

Caro- Um, i just heard some drs do and some dont........i think maybe with drains theres more chance of infection...but thats just a medical opinion....not 100% sure.

• dragonfly55
    Options

Hey!

I'm in a better frame of mind today and I am not totally exhausted.

Michele... That was pretty heavy snow to be shovelling... How's your neck and back? Did you try doing the exercises Caro suggested? When is your surgery? What is Diep? Congratulations to your son!! Now he just has to compare benefits and decide. Enjoy New Years with your friends. Wishing you quick healing and pain relief. Take care.

Mich...

• Kyta
    Options

Michele - great news for your son about school and that you haven't heard from the driver of the other car! Too bad about the shovelling injury though…hope you feel better soon.

Red - sorry but I've forgotten….is your Jan 9th surgery for reconstruction?

Caro - glad you're feeling better and that you're happy with the homecare nurse. I didn't have a nurse visit after surgery although I think I got a call from one a day or two after surgery to check on me. I did have a great experience with a homecare nurse earlier this year though. I was on IV meds for an infection from my tissue expander (which was eventually removed). She came daily for about 6 weeks and was such a sweetheart.

Dragonfly - get lots of rest…..hope tomorrow is another good day.  

Re New Year's eve - no plans for us. DH and I aren't really into New Year's eve parties and he wants to watch the hockey game between Canada and USA so we'll probably stay home, which is fine by me. 

• redninrah
    Options

Much- yes

• dragonfly55
    Options

Mich- my text message left before I finished. Then all thoughts left my brain. I am so absent-minded and accident prone lately. I got a nice burn on my left arm.. Got to be more careful. With all this cold weather the appeal of Mexico increases. I hear those warm winds calling me. Only days away now. I go to the General on the 17th to get the dye injected for lymph nodes. Where is your surgery? My PS thinks the pedicle tram is what I need if I want to use my own tissue. It uses muscle and fat. She me get me to a small "c". Who would think I would ever think about breast size, exceptmine feel very heavy rightnow. Just was called. Got to go. Take care... All thebest for 2012.

• dragonfly55
    Options

2012 and winter has arrived.

Mich have a great vacation!

Carolyne, how are you doing?

Red, good luck with your surgery next week.

Michele, how's your back? When is your surgery? I don't know what I am doing any more. Not too sure about this pedicle tram. What is DIEP (is there a straight forward explanation)

Wishing all you Ottawa ladies a healthy, happy year!

Take care.