Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ottawa ladies?

Options

Comments

• dragonfly55
    dragonfly55 Member Posts: 97
    Options

The Maplesoft Centre is a very nice and comfortable facility. They have tours on Thursdays. (I think afternoon) Location: 1500 Alta Vista Drive. Phone: (613)247-3527. Hours: 9:30-5 (program exceptions). I don't know if it's open weekends.

The Centre offers a variety of workshops and programs (focus on cancer and healthy living). I attended a positive visualization workshop. There are 4 in this series. I wanted another resource for my MRI. I found it to be a good session. She begins series again on Thursday. You register for one session at a time, up to one week prior. I am thinking of attending one of the cancer coping groups and maybe in the new year touching base with a cancer coach. Something to think about.

On Dec. 16th,they are having Christmas caroling. If you live close by, it might be a nice Christmas thing to do. They're serving hot chocolate.

For more accurate info, give centre a call. 613-247-3527.

Wishing you all good health and a festive season. Christmas is just over 2 weeks away!

• caro46
    caro46 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Dragonfly: I'm glad you went to the Maplesoft centre! Isn't it a nice place?  The lady who did the visualisation class is really nice... I am seeing her next tuesday at her office for hypnosis to help with anxiety and positive thinking... I have done hypnosis before for anxiety and it was very helpfull!  Can't wait to meet you at the spa!

Mich; Sounds like I'm in a similar situation you were a year or so ago! Thanks so much for telling me about your process,.

• maureens
    maureens Member Posts: 8
    Options

Homestar and other Ottawa ladies,

have not checked in for a very long while and have just been reading and catching up--you snooze and so much passes, like lunches for example.

Homestar, did send a PM to you though did not realize that you were in Ottawa as well or is this just an assumption.  I had my lumpectomy last week, December 9th, operating room #13--this made me laugh out loud while waiting to go into the room and had more than one person look at me as if I was crazy.  Dr Watters was my surgeon and I liked him a lot--vey open to questions, open with information and gave an air of confidence--hopefully this translates into good news.  i am now waiting for the pathology report to see exactly what I am dealing with--this constant waiting for the next stage is slowly driving me nuts!!!

Who is your surgeon?  I have read conflicting studies on the effectiveness of radiation of this type of tumour? 

Catching up with everyone is an eye-opener, women are amazing.

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate and all the happiness and best wishes of the season to all.

• maureens
    Options

oops make the surgery date november 30th

• Kyta
    Kyta Member Posts: 273
    Options

Maureens - hope you get your path results sooner than later. Dr Watters seems like a nice man. He did lumpectomy surgeries on my sister and my mother in law a couple of years ago.

Sandi - hope all went well today and glad to hear you got the ativan…hope it helped:) 

Have a good weekend everyone.

• dragonfly55
    Options

Hey all,

Maureen - Hope you get quick good path results!

Caro - Karrena (or Katrina, can't remember her name) is very nice. I enjoyed her visualization script and she has good intonation and pace. Let me know how it goes. I like to use alternatives to mess for anxiety, stress and sleep, if able. Are you taking any time off before surgery this week? I have a few hours available during the day this week, if you need help. (10-3)

How did my MRI go? Thank goodness for ativan!!! I found I was quite uncomfortable laying there, no matter what she did. The technician conscientious and caring. Everytime the noise started up I would be startled. Once I hit my head on the top of machine. She would have to restart set. My breathing started to speed up and get heavier, but I got control of my anxiety. Did that so well that I got a tickle in my throat. Needless to say I squeezed that ball. Once my coughing fit stopped, she injected the contrast and said it's critical you don't move. You don't want to do this again. I tried the visualization and just had the thoughts of your suggestions flow through my head. You would think that something that doesn't physically hurt would be easy. Well, it's another step towards moving forward.

Enjoy your weekend.

• dragonfly55
    Options

I just got back from going through car wash. I don't like them. I close my eyes and count. Maybe that's why I didn't like MRI. Good night to you all.

Wishing you good health.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    Options

Dragon, well at least it is over now....

• caro46
    Options

Hi everyone!

Just doing laundry today and something occured to me.... What kind of bra can I wear after mastectomy?  I know for the first week or so probably nothing but all I have is the underwire bras and I don't see them being very comfy to wear after surgery?

What did you do and what do you suggest?

Caro

• maureens
    Options

Caro,

I went into Marianne's a women's clothing store with a mastectomy section in the back--went in one day before i had my lumpectomy surgery to see what is out there--as I knew nothing and did not know what to expect.  The fitter was really good and had a couple of suggestions.  

the store is located in the mall at Carling Ave and Island Park.

• caro46
    Options

Thank you Maureen I'll check it out!

• micheleboots
    Options

I wore a tank top with a shelf bra in it.  But for the first few days you will be bandaged up.  You have to keep it snug as the pressure is what helps with the drains if you have them.  I wore the tank to for a while. Perhaps a couple of months.  I think you have to be 6 weeks past surgery before you can be fitted for a real bra and your prosthetic.  I went to a place on St. Laurent called Kellys mastectomy boutique.  I called a few times to Maryannes and every time they were rude to me.  So I kinda boycott that place..It's been two years so I guess I should get over it.  Your prosthetic is partially covered by ohip...I was able to claim the rest on my husbands medical.  What day is your surgery, I forgot.  Is it the 16th?

• caro46
    Options

Hi Michele

Yes it`s the 16th, I was trying to plan as much as I could but you think I have to wait before I think about bras?  I wasn`t sur about going comando (brawise lol).  It`s silly, I don`t have much to support as I am pretty small breasted, but I amso used to wearing one...  Just walking around with a thank top will feel strange... I guess it`s a small bump on the road!

Good night laies!

Caro

• micheleboots
    Options

mine have those shelf bra things...I am/was big busted and they worked for me ok...I mostly wore my husbands big old t-shirts for a while as well.  It gave me something to pin my drain to..Every night my hubby would unwrap my bandages and scratch my back and areas I couldn't reach.  Ah it felt so good.  YOu could aslo use a sports bra if you have one that fastens up the front...I wouldn't waste much money on something you wont wear for long..

• Kyta
    Options

Hi all

sandi - glad you made it through the MRI ok. Yes you're right, you'd think that a procedure that doesn't involve pain would be a breeze. Do you know when you'll get results?

Caro - I'm with Michele. Go to Kelly's on St. Laurent. The owner Diane is very nice (and started the company in honour of her sister-in-law who had cancer) as is her sales associate (younger girl in her 20s who's also a cancer survivor). Here's her website link:  http://kellysmastectomyboutique.com/index.php

I was so self-conscious going in for my appt, but they made me feel so comfortable. It was all very professional and they were very helpful. They recommend you wait close to 2 months to get fitted for a prosthesis and you'll buy bras there that have an opening inside to insert the prosthesis. As Michelle said the Provincial Assistive Devices Program covers about 75% of the max approved cost, and if you have insurance benefits through work, it will cover the balance. My work health insurance also covered 4 bras per year. In the meantime, post surgery I wore camisoles/undershirts….I bought several from Mark's Workwarehouse that worked well. I was small breasted so didn't have to camouflage too too much, but you'll definitely want to make use of scarves over shirts to help out if you're larger breasted on the remaining side.

• maureens
    Options

caro46,

Best of luck tomorrow, hope I got the date right.

Take care,

• Kyta
    Options

Throwing in my best wishes also Caro. Let us know when you're up to it how you're making out.

• dragonfly55
    Options

Carolyne

Best of luck tomorrow. We'll be thinking of you. Take care of yourself. (((hugs)))

Sandi

• caro46
    Options

Thank you ladies! I did all my last errands today and now sitting down with a nice glass of red... I just want tomorrow to be done and over with. Nervous about going to sleep and stuff but I'll try to not think about it till tomorrow am. 

I'll keep you posted as soon as I can, It'll be easyier with my new mini-laptop Wink, an early x-mas present from my partner.

Good bye and thanks again for all the support.

Carolyne

• micheleboots
    Options

luck to you...

• caro46
    Options

Surgery: done! feeling not too bad but the pain woke me up at 4! I guess the pills should be taken every 4 hours no matter what for the first few days?

• micheleboots
    Options

Carol...so glad to hear it went well and you are done that part of your journey...take care of yourself and just relax....enjoy the holidays a bit..

I must be nuts, but I have to take my son out shopping today....say a prayer for me.  At least it's only to Place D'orleans.  Not one of the other frantic malls.

• jelson
    jelson Member Posts: 622
    Options

Ottawa Ladies -  I wanted to thank you by proxy and draw your attention to this Christmas gift from Algonquin College and the Ottawa Regional Youth Choir and Darth Vader

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiDTufRNL10&feature=player_embedded

Julie E

• Kyta
    Options

Hi Caro

Nice to hear from you.Yes, I would take the pills as prescribed for a few days. How are you feeling? 

• micheleboots
    Options

Yes, Caro, how are you doing.  I hope you are getting the  rest I'm sure you need and deserve.  Who couldn't use  a little rest this time of year...just without the mastectomy.

Things are getting mad around here...I took my son out shopping on Saturday and he hit a parked car in a parking lot...stepped on the gas not the break.  The guy was a bit of an asshole..yelling that he should learn to drive in a parking lot with no other cars...He had a small scratch on his bumper no bigger than an inch...so I  guess we wait and see what happens.  Then to add to the stress my son is also trying to apply to collage...he is in a panic.  He is scared to make the wrong decision..luck for him his grades are in the mid 90s.  Pray for me that I don't have a stroke after this week.

• Kyta
    Options

Hey Michele - praying you won't have a stroke :) I understand the stress of going out driving with your kids when they're learning….the only thing worse is when they get their license and are out driving without you and you spend the night worrying! With his good marks, he'll have nothing to worry about! 

Caro - how are you? Many of us have been through mastectomies so can understand what you might be going through.

Sandi - any news on your MRI results and next steps? 

• caro46
    Options

Hi everyone

Michele, my step daughter just got her g1 and I would take her out on the small street in my neighbourhood but would not be able to go to a mall parking lot! youre a brave woman! I am scared driving in parking lots sometimes... people are so careless and drive faster than they have to!

It's day4 after the surgery and all I want is get out of the house! I am feeling cranky since yesterday... A bit down too... maybe the reality is just hitting me now.  I'd like to go shopping for clothes, everything I have is tight and makes it very obvious I am missing a breast. 

What kind of clothes would work? Michele, youare pretty similar size to me, what did you find worked at first?

• dragonfly55
    Options

Hi all,

This is such a busy, hectic, crazy time of year...

Michele, praying with Mich, and others you don't have a stroke this week. Your poor son... With his marks, he'll be accepted to the college of his choice. It's understandable to worry if it's the right one. You have to decide all this at such a young age. Your son is just starting to experience life. Did things work out, re: car?

Caro: (((Hugs))). Are you able to get out and about? I'm not familiar with the timelines after surgery. Did you pick up the free post-surgery camisole from Kelly's? Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• dragonfly55
    Options

Mich and others thanks for asking how things are going?

Yesterday, I was expecting confirmation and surgery date for lumpectumy (and radiation). Told I had to have mastectomy and SNB. I guess crossing my fingers for not having another biopsy worked. I was a little stunned. I went to this appointment solo. Last one my sister came and I felt this one would be simple. Was I wrong! Now I know why they say take someone with you to each appointment.

I will be having immediate reconstruction. BSSeems to like implants, but I am no in favor of that. I don't know what's best. Please tell me, is this my decision or the surgeons? Boy, this whole thing really sucks, doesn't it. I am so angry! Carolyne, I am feeling cranky and depressed with you!

Happy Birthday to me...... My b-days tomorrow.. I haven't figured out which part of this is my present from me. (think this is sarcasm)

I am so thankful for all you Ottawa Ladies. I look forward to another chance to meet you. Carolyne and Michele, we'll see you again.

Take care of you. Wishing you good health.

Have a Merry Christmas! Celebrate and share the love of family and friends.

May 2012 bring you happiness, health and love,luck and laughter.

(((hugs))) and best wishes sent your way.

Sandi

• caro46
    Options

Hey Sandy,

the cancer coach strongly recomended I look into the different type of surgery as it is your choice! There is so much options for reconstruction and my understanding is that some surgeons are more confortable with certaiun surgery and it also depends on who is the plastic surgeon they work with.

Personnally I found it a bit overwelming to have so many choices and went/will go with what they recomend for me...

I am a bit jealous that you are getting the immediate reconstruction... I find it quite difficult to look at myself with clothes on and see that flat spot... not that I had big breasts before but at least something...

Sorry I sound quite pessimistic right now, just came back from shopping for clothes...

All in all I am doing good considering I had surgery friday and really shouldn't complain! Thank you ladies for all the support!

Sandy, Hang in there I'll be thinking about you!

Who's your surgeon?

Caro