Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ottawa ladies?

Options

Comments

• rachel11
    rachel11 Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hello Ottawa Ladies!

I am from Orleans, and have just recently been diagnosed with ductal carcinoma. I am meeting my surgeon, Dr. St-Jean, on January 20. He works out of the Montfort Hospital. Has anyone been treated by him previously??

• Snobird
    Snobird Member Posts: 34
    Options

Dragonfly, There is a good reference for types of recon on this site. At the very top of the page go to treatments and side effects, then from there go to surgery and then to reconstructive surgery. There are very good explanations of types and options. Basically a DIEP takes skin, fat and blood vessels from the abdominal area and transfers it to the breast area to form new breasts just like a TRAMflap except that it severs the blood vessels and then reattaches them in the new position. A TRAM actually takes part of your abdominal muscle with the blood vessel attached and tunnels it under your upper abdomen and chest skin before placing the abdomen tissue in the breast area. The TRAM has a longer recovery and can seriously compromise your core muscles and can lead to bad back and or hernia complications. I know that there are several ladies from Canada who have had the procedure but I also understand that it is not available in all provinces. I'm not Canadian so I can't refer you anywhere but hopefully someone here can.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    Options

Dang. I lost my post...oh well.  let me start over...Rachel, I am also in Orleans, how funny.  I had Dr. Benois St.Jean.  He was amazing.  I am so happy with him.  He made me feel comfortable and did a good job of calming my many fears.  I have a friend whose husband had him as well and loved him too.  You're in good hands.  I hope that after my recon my scars are as nice as the ones I have now.

Sandi, there is a site you can go to and get all your info on recon.  www.breastreconstructioncanada.ca   The Dr. in the video is Dr. Guey who is here in Ottawa and is who I will have.  It gives you lots of good info.  I wanted the DIEP, as I don't like the idea of taking my stomach muscles.  I kinda need those muscles so I can work on my great abs...

• rachel11
    Options

Thanks Michele!

Glad to hear that Dr. St-Jean is nice. I know that I will have lots of questions for him so hopefully he is a patient man.

What is a typical wait time from first appointment to surgery? What type of tests can I expect between now and surgery. I have had an ultrasound, which was inconclusive, and led to my biopsy,which is when my cancer was diagnosed. What can I expect as I face this life challenge??

• micheleboots
    Options

Rachel, I was diagnosed in spring 2009.  I had my MX in mid July.  I think it was only about a month from seeing Dr. StJean to having the surgery.  It was postponed for a week when he had a patient who had a much bigger tumor than me.  It is sad, but I felt like I was'nt as bad off as someone else and I took comfort in that...I know, sad.  I also had a bone scan, a MRI, abdominal ultrasound and back/chest xrays.  I was only in the hospital one night like most of the ladies I know.  The surgery is scary, but easy all the same.  You will get you pathology reports about 10-14 days after surgery.  Then if you need chemo it will start about 6 weeks after MX, or at least that was my case.  It is scary as hell starting out on this path, but it goes faster than you think it will.  The waiting is the hardest part.  We are here for ya.

• caro46
    caro46 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Hi rachel,

It all goes vcery fast once you get started! I was diagnosed on Sept 21st and had surgery on Dec16th.  I am going back to work on January 9th and I feel like I just started on this path and it's already almost done.  You'll get a head to toe check up, bone scan, chest x-ray, abdo ultrasound etc... It's a lot and it happens fast thank god!

Keep posting on here it's a great source of info and comfort.

Good luck to you and any questions are welcome!

Carolyne

• rachel11
    Options

Thanks for the information, it's nice to know what is ahead of me. My appointment with Dr. St-Jean has been pushed back by two weeks to February 3, so that's a bit frustrating but it will come quick enough.

On another topic, I have two daughters, ages 10 and 6, my DH and I have decided not to tell them about the BC, unless we absolutely have to. I am wondering if the surgery can be kept on the DL (down low)?

• caro46
    Options

Hi Rachel,

I have 3 daughters; 10, 11 and 14 and a step daughter 16, I kept them in the loop from the beggining.  I think kids sense when there is something going on and if we don't tell them they might be worrying and trying to figure out what's wrong on their own and that could be stressfull and very scary... Also my sister had BC for the first time 5 yrs ago and didn't tell her kids, my niece told me that she worried a lot as she tought her parents were going to divorce (going to appts togheter...) then she tought her mom was going to die until she had a major panic attack and told her dad who decided to be honnest and tell her the truth.  When y niece learned of my diagnosis she made me promise I would be open with my kids...

By no means do I want to pressure you in any way but I just wanted to share my experience.  when I got my diagnosis I also spoke to the social worker at the Women's breast health center and she gave me lots of good tips on how to talk to the children depending on their ages.  Another good resource is the Maplesoft Survivor center, they have cancer coaches who can help a lot with that and who can provide support to you and your partner.

I think the more you surround yourself with supporting people the easyier it will be to get through this!

Carolyne

• micheleboots
    Options

Rachel, my Dh wanted to keep it hush hush as well.  It was far more stressful for me before we told the kids.  They sensed something was up.  Once I told them it was a huge weight lifted from my shoulders.  The took it so well.  My son was 15 and my daughter was 9.  I noticed a huge change in them after that, for the better.  They started helping out more around the house.  Just something to think about...Kids are stronger than what we give them credit for.

• micheleboots
    Options

opps, forgot to add.  When we told them, we didn't mention the word Cancer to them at first.  I told them it was a lump.  My son was old enough to figure it out.  Later when we told my daughter, she got upset again, but then I reminded her of all the other people we know who have had cancer, who are living normal lives so many years after being diagnosed.  After all Cancer is just a word, not a sentence.

• rachel11
    Options

ARRGGHHH!! First appointment with surgeon pushed back by another two weeks. My family doctor said that I would be seen on an urgent basis. It will be two months from the time I was told I had BC to when I first get to meet my surgeon. Is this a normal wait time??

Just venting a bit.. this is getting to be very frustrating!

• rachel11
    Options

YAY! Surgeon's office just called and the conference that Dr. St-jean was to attend has been cancelled so I have rescheduled for February 3. This eases my mind a bit.

• micheleboots
    Options

Glad to hear it Rachel.

I got some exciting news today.  I saw Dr. Guey today to talk about my surgery.  He told me that my surgery is going to be observed by a bunch of Plastic surgeons.  He has a few coming from all over Ontario to see him do his stuff.  This includes the Chief of Plastic surgery for the province of ON.  So I know he will bring on the big guns to create my new guns...I expect to have the best tatas in town.  Also he said that I am booked for the first procedure of the day..first in, first out..such a relief.

• caro46
    Options

Whoo hoo Michele!

I'd feel very confident if I were you! For sure he'll do his best work with all these people watching!

God for you too Rachel! Waiting is the worst so if there is less of it that's good!

Lots of drama in my end... family stuff I really could do without! But Mother one day mother forever...

On a more positive note, I attended an arts for wellness class at the Maplesoft centre on tuesday and it was so much fun! 3 more to go and I am really excited to se what's next week!

good night all

Carolyne

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    Options

Hi all. Still at the hospital I go home tomorrow. So my cathereter was pulled out yesterday but my bladder was retaining too much so they put the catheter back in. Today they took it out, and IV drip should be taken out. I'm not on too much pain. The worst thing about this is I'm a belly sleeper so to sleep on our back is. Really really hard for me.

I had a bad migraine last night that I couldn't control with tynelol but then they gave me an injection that got rid of the headache and put me to sleep.

I feel good today, haven't showered yet, but u get the typical bed baths

Staff are amazing, the food is not so great, but today I can have proper solids.

I think with the drip out I should have a nice walk today. Yesterday I got a bit light headed. I am excited to go home, I can see now why ppl like recliners its really great for your back. I don't have one, but it's ok, I'm going to be staying in my bedroom. It's fully equipped with room service lol.

I haven't had a bowel Mvt yet but taking the stool softners.

Li is starting to look better. I haven't seen my boobs yet or my stomach,,,tomorrow.

• micheleboots
    Options

Red, so glad to hear you are doing well...keep up the good work.

• redninrah
    Options

Michele- dr guay and his colleague are awesome!!!

• micheleboots
    Options

I like them so far...

Hope your first peep show is what you hope it will be...are you big busted?  I'm a C.

• Kyta
    Kyta Member Posts: 273
    Options

Red - glad to hear all went well with your surgery and that you're feeling better. Hope your recovery is uneventful.

Michele - great news that the PS will have an audience….very comforting to know he'll do his best work!! When is your surgery date?

Caro and Sandi - hope you're both doing well. Sandi - hope you've had your questions answered about reconstruction and feel ready to go next week. Caro - how was it going back to work? Are you feeling ok?

Rachel - Sorry to hear you're joining our little club. Glad you still have the Feb 3rd date but I'm sure it still feels like forever for you. When you're first diagnosed, the waiting is so hard. Re telling your kids….it's a personal decision but have to agree with the others that telling the kids something about what's going on will be easier on you and them. I found a great booklet about how to tell your kids from the Women's breast health centre at the Civic.  

Got home late last night from Cozumel. Had a great time but no fun coming home to this shitty weather. Got a call this aft from the PS. My exchange to implants was supposed to happen on Tuesday and I was so psyched for it but it's been pushed back to Feb 7th….I'm not happy, but what can you do. 

• micheleboots
    Options

Mich, welcome back...what a yucky welcome Mother Nature is giving you...I know the doc will do his best, whether he has an audience or not..but somehow I feel better now.  It is in two weeks, on Jan 27.

• redninrah
    Options

I'm a large b. hope I like what I see.

• Kyta
    Options

Sandi - I think you're home today or tomorrow from your trip….did you have a good time? I'm sure you had a lot on your mind while away but I'm hoping you were able to relax and have some fun. Surgeries on Wed right? Are you feeling ok?

• coni
    coni Member Posts: 181
    Options

Hi ladies it's been awhile since I posted. Welcome to the new ladies,not the best place to join but a great place to be encouraged.

Nin- I'm glad u r home now! I hope u r not in a lot of pain.

Has anyone had their heart function go low on herceptin? Mine went from 77% to 53% and I'm only on my fifth dose... I see onc tomorrow, I hope he dosent say I have to stop.

I've been thinking lately about reconstruction, diep not an option for me.. Can anyone recommend a great surgeon? My bs for my mastectomy, didn't spare any skin on my chest. I'm thinking of having implants but I don't want them cutting me other places...

• redninrah
    Options

Coin- I sent u a MSG ....I'm nt at home. I am still here. I had a complication so it was redone.

I'm at the civic, where I'm spending most of my time recovering from back pain induced from the cheap assed soft mattresses they have.

Its been torture here. I wouldn't have claimed if I went home on friday but my back has been playing up since. And don't u just hate hearing we are sorry we r now the beds are crappy.

I go to hospital with a normal ack and leave with back issues.

Ok enough venting. It's nice to be inside than this cold weather...

• redninrah
    Options

Sorry I meant coni, my sleep cycle is messed that I sleep during dy and night am awake.

• micheleboots
    Options

Red, what day did you go in?  What type of compliction did you have..Was it all a redo?  Not so sure I even want to know...

• redninrah
    Options

Michele- dr guay is puzzled- he sed it's very rare.

He took me back up and fixed me up.

The blood vessel was mechanically rubbing on my chest wall so it got bruised. My foob became rock hard.....

• coni
    coni Member Posts: 181
    Options

Oh Nin- I'm sorry I didn't know U went back to hospital! I hope u r doing better I'm praying for ya

• Kyta
    Options

Red - sorry to hear about the complication. Hope whatever he fixed works for you and that you get out of the hospital and into your own bed soon.

Coni - I've been dealing with Dr Rockwell for tissues expanders/implants and would recommend her. I like her quite a bit, and she was highly recommended by the BS. My onco has also said positive things about her.   

• Kyta
    Options

Sandi - how are you? where are you? I think your dye injection is tomorrow and surgery on Wed. How are you doing?