Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

February 2012 Chemo

Options

Comments

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    Options

Karen:  Talk to your doctor. I would think at least you would want to wear a lymphedema sleeve for the flight. Congrats on that wonderful trip!  Sounds lovely. Enjoy every moment of it.

Btw, on the flight drink lots of water and get up often and just walk down the aisle of the plane. If you drink enough water, that'll keep you walking to the bathroom.  Flying dehyrdates you and sitting for a long time can lead some to a blood clot in the leg.  Most likely though, your feet will fall asleep. Plus, there's swelling with flying.

Susan

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

What she said! LOL.  I hope you enjoy the trip. Hope your niece is doing well with the weather they are having now. After you go through security, buy yourself water. Because they don't come around as quickly as they should. And like grit said walk at least a bit. 

For packing pack color coordinateing things. Lay out your clothes. Since you will be with family you can wash things. I plan my outfits with a clean blouse or tshirt every day. Pants can make it more than one day. Pack one extra top as those usually get dirty or spilled on if you are anything like me.   1 skirt for dress up. Ask your niece and SIL if it gets cold at all. So you won't pack more than one sweater or light jacket. Be sure you can handle the suitcase by yourself. Put a bright duct tape over part of the zipper or lock to make it hard for anyone to open it. It also helps you find your luggage fast cause it will stand out. Carry your meds with you. If you check a bag, don't bother with a big carryon. Take a big purse that fits under the seat. Good luck and have a blast. Send us some pictures. Much love. 

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227
    Options

Karen, what a fabulous, thoughtful thing for them to do! You must be so excited! I would definitely wear the sleeve and also a glove or gauntlet, because it's pretty easy for your hand to swell up if you are wearing a sleeve and no hand protection.  I would be happy to send you one of mine for the trip if the sizing matches. Otherwise, see if there's any way you can just borrow one from the breast center? They are expensive. 

Hysterectomy and prolapse-hoicking surgery is all done. Yay!  They didn't mention, however, that they blow up your abdomen with gas and it takes a couple weeks to out-gas, so to speak, and in the meantime your clothes don't fit at all.  Good thing I have lots of  maxi dresses with minimal waistlines! 

:)

Just visited my PS for what I think is my last checkup, and got to show off my Vinnie nips. He said they were the best he's ever seen, and you have to figure that he's seen a lot of tattoos over the years. Even took pics so I can join his array of nipple mug shots. It cracked me up. 

Hope everybody is well! The Rose of Sharon is in bloom around here, which always heralds the beginning of the end of summer (that was confusing, but you know what I mean, right?) 

• FLDREAMER
    FLDREAMER Member Posts: 136
    Options

Hildy, glad the surgery is over and in time, the gas should be gone.   Sounds horrendous.  LOL at the nip pic comments.   
    Yeah, summer is coming to an end.  I'm not happy about that.   And since my trip will take me to Hawaii almost all of September, which is good, it also means I will miss the somewhat good weather here in Illinois as it comes to an end.  October onward is always cooler than what I like.   Ideally, I would have went in the middle of winter but that wasn't an option due to cost and others who will visit her then.

I won't be buying a sleeve or anything else for this trip.  Since retiring from my job, I am still waiting for my pension check to come in. They won't even mail it till Sept 1.   I am so strapped for money I borrowed some from my daughter to make it till then.   I am struggling to adjust to living on half of what I used to have.   Frugality was never my cup of tea but I'm learning now.   

My surgeon's office says I don't need a sleeve or anything else, that since I've had no problems so far, it isn't a concern.   So I wasn't planning to wear one after all.  If you really think I should anyway, then sending me yours would be fine.  However, aren't they specifically fitted to the patients?   

I have been super sad a lot since retirement.   Can't put my finger on it.   But as with everyone, there are good days and bad.  I savor the good and know the bad will pass.    Hope all are doing well.

• FLDREAMER
    Options

Are any of you technology challenged ?

I received a Kindle Paperwhite earlier this year and never tried to use it before.  But the other day I charged it up to give it a try.     So far I hate it!   I think I prefer good old fashioned books instead of these e readers.   I suspect I will either sell the Kindle on Craigslist or give it to someone.

And, my cell phone has terrible signal problems.  It's a cheap prepaid provider.  So, in view of my upcoming trip and something i've been planning to do, my daughter helped me buy a Smartphone.   Everything is touch screen.  I just got it yesterday and HATE it also.  So far.   The keypad for texting is too sensitive and tiny and my old arthritic and neuropathic fingers don't get along with the keys.   I'll give it another day or two and it is going back.   Feeling frustrated.

• moonflwr912
    Options

Fldrmr, keep on trying the Kindle. It took me a couple of weeks before I quit reaching up to turn the page. On my first ereader it only had a button on the bottom so it was frysting. I had that one 2 years. My newer one I've had for 3 years now. It is Wifi enabled. I love it. I have buttons or I can flick the page. But the best part is the connection.  I can get a library book at 2:30 in the am! I love that. It's a lot like the paper white in that it uses eink so it stays charged for a long time. One thing i did was get a cover for my reader that opens like a book. That made it better in my mind! LOL So keep trying. It will be worth it. I spend less money on books now. And I have room in my house. 

LOL

Hildy, I'm glad your sx went well too. Heal quickly. I am only using a cane now and have only 2 more PTs! Yay. 

Much love to all. 

• FLDREAMER
    Options

Thanks Monica for the encouragement on the Kindle.  I will keep trying.    I've had my new phone for two days now.  It's a Smartphone (I guess.).   Anyway, I didn't like it at first but starting to now.  I can do FB, emails, radio, texting of course, google, internet, everything imaginable.  I can use voice activate on google if I want.  Neat.   And it has GPS.   All will be nice when traveling to Hawaii.   

I'm settling into retirement better now.  Less sad.   I spent lots of time the past couple of days reading back thru these CA pages.   Wish I had had more energy and time when we were going thru it all.   I miss the people who don't post anymore.  Find myself wondering how Adrian (Firstcall) is doing as well as Margo (Lumpy).   And the others.    

MLB:   I  never received the foobs you thought you might mail.  I would still be interested if you want.  Hope they weren't mailed and missed me somehow.   If you need my address again, let me know.   If you don't have them after all, it's okay.   I made note of the website where I can order them (bosom buddies) and others and will contact them also.    

Monica:   When I return, I'm gonna have you do a tarot reading on me.   And I still want to drive up and visit you.   I might even drive all the way to your city and get a room for a night or two.   Once the car repairs are done, a nice fall road trip might be fun before winter sets in.  Hope the knee is doing better each day.

My swimsuit is B.M.  (before mastectomy) so I intend to just improvise with shower poofs to insert where my breast should be.   I don't swim much so I don't plan to buy a new suit just for this trip to Hawaii.  Money is too tight just now.   I fly out on August 31 and my old job won't even mail me my big pension check till after September 2nd.  Tried to even talk to supervisor to hasten it and they said no can do.   But it will go into my ckg acct and be avail remotely.  Just can't shop before my trip is all.

I've made notes of stuff everyone referenced over these threads.  Now I have the time and energy to research or read further.  Reading back pages made me appreciate all of you even more, and thankful we 'met.'   And I appreciate that I am still alive and 'kicking'.   

Can you believe it's now 2 1/2 years since we all first connected here ?    Glad we're all still around but wish no one had issues anymore.  Thinking of all of you.  Hope you are doing well.   

• FLDREAMER
    Options

To those of you who still post here on occasion.    

Have you considered setting up a private Facebook group that we would use to keep in touch?    Those who were on here can easily become part of it if they wish by a 'friend' request.   We would have a reference on here so if any of our friends came back for some reason, they would know it exists and could request to be part of it.  (See the last page of January 2012 chemo group to see what I mean.   They can be found on page 8 or 9 of this forum now.)      

I don't have any idea how it would be set up.  My idea comes from the January 2012 group.   I posted much less frequently on their site as I thought that's when I would start chemo.  They have a private Facebook site now.   Set up around Christmas in 2013 with a special title.   Former members of their .org group can ask to be included and they are.   A small group of us keep in touch regularly that way.  With CA questions or updates on what's happening in our lives.

The advantage is it's easier to get updates and go into it.  Plus it is private whereas what we post on here is visible to anyone who browses the site.   And if we post on here infrequently, we disappear to pages farther and farther back.   The disadvantage is for anyone who hates Facebook and wants no part of it for some reason (or if they can't get it?)

What do you think?

• moonflwr912
    Options

fld. That's a great idea. Everybody chime in. 

Much love

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227
    Options

I'm up for it! Great idea.

• ali68
    ali68 Member Posts: 644
    Options

Hi everyone, well it's been tough but things are getting better. My daughter who has despression and eating disorder is going to uni? My GP and the college gave a good reference and she had ok exam results.  She is going to a great uni in London ( very lucky girl) my eldest daughter will keep an eye on her. My youngest daughter got ok exam reaults and is doing A ' Levels at college. 

Me , well I'm up and down with depression but I'm doing good. Hubby is the same and I know our lives will never be the same as it was.

Hope you are all doing ok ? Xxx

• moonflwr912
    Options

Hey Ali! Glad to hear about your daughter. Things going pretty well here. Fldrmr are you home yet? Or still traveling? Take care and much love. 

• FLDREAMER
    Options

Ali, glad to hear about your daughter going to uni and that the other is there also to keep an eye on her.

Depression:  I have it also.  Even when things are going relatively well, it is always welling just beneath the surface.

I am in Hawaii as I type this.   I arrived on September 1 and will be here till Sept. 22.  Then I go to Phoenix to visit my former sister-in-law.  I will be there 4 days and back home in my own town on Sept 26  or 27.   

It is beautiful here.  I am glad I came.  I've been to the beach three times since I arrived.  And, last night, while my niece was gone, I actually walked there with her dog.  We didn't go in the water but it was a nice walk.  I am sad because I don't have the stamina I used to have.  The walk required resting on benches as they became available and resting as I walked back to her place.   Her place is about two blocks from the ocean but to me, that is a long ways.    I'm not complaining though.  I'm glad I'm still around.   Just wish I had more energy.   

I suggested we set up a Facebook site (private) for our group.  but I don't know how to do that.   Oh well.   Hope all of you are doing fine.

• ali68
    Options

Fldreamer, glad you are away and enjoying yourself. I can set it up with the help of my kids haha. Will let you know how it's going. Xxxx

• ali68
    Options

Ladies, if you want to join a group for us on facebook, private message me on here with your e--mail address and I will contact you when it's set up. Love to everyone xxx

• FLDREAMER
    Options

Ali, I sent you a pm with my email address.

I'm still in Hawaii, having a wonderful time.  But so sleepy at the moment I can't keep awake.

Will touch base again another time soon.

Aloha,

Karen

• ali68
    Options

Hello, I have set up a private account on Facebook for us girls to keep in touch. Some of you gave me your e-mail address to add you. I tried but couldn't find you. The account is Ali Morris. Can find me with e-mail alimorris1994@gmail.com  hope you can join xxxx

• Myleftboob
    Myleftboob Member Posts: 983
    Options

Hi Everyone

Ali

My email address is maureenlong2003@yahoo.ca.  Would love to join the FB group!

Haven't popped by in a while.  Had a consult last week with a recon surgeon.  He's really recommending DIEP as I have a lovely belly to work with but I can't bear the thought of the recovery time.  Also, while he's been practicing for over 24 years, he's only been doing this procedure for 2 years.  He was at least honest and said his failure rate right now is 25%.  I'm going to see one more for a 2nd opinion but I'm really leaning toward the implant.  I figure if I don't like it I can always go the DIEP route and he agreed.  I was thinking if the DEIP failed, it would be a hell of a journey starting the expander/implant route. Hard to believe I'm only dealing with recon 3 years out but I needed time off from anything BC related you know?

I'm happy to hear any opinions on the matter though.

• ali68
    Options

I have tried to add people with their e-mail address but comes up with no results. Are you all using e-mail address which has a facebook account? Silly question I know but not sure why I can't you.

If you put in my e-mail address you can find me. Alimorris1994@gmail.com and the pic is the bike. Can someone try and see xxxx

• Myleftboob
    Myleftboob Member Posts: 983
    Options

Mine is linked to Facebook for sure.  I just looked you up and found you!  I would prefer a closed group if possible because I don't talk about BC stuff on my personal page much.  I'm sending  you a friend request now.

• ali68
    Options

great someone found me. Well it's only for friends and then we can make a group or I don't know. What you think

• ali68
    Options

sorry friends from chemo girls

• ali68
    Options

So we have the page and I made a closed group called" chemo group" which I can add you when you are on the Ali Morris page. There is me and  myleftboob. Hehe xxx

• dltnhm
    dltnhm Member Posts: 420
    Options

Thanks Ali! 

You were right - my regular email wasn't/isn't tied to my Facebook. 

I sent you a request. :0) 

Diana

• moonflwr912
    Options

Ali I sent a request. I'm Monica

Is there a Sandra on here? I have a request snd I can't place her. 

Fld how was the Hawaiian trip? Tell all! LOL

• FLDREAMER
    Options

Ali:     I just sent my friend request.   Yes, please let's keep that group very private.  That's the whole idea that we can 'share' our innermost feelings and thoughts that our non bc fb friends don't understand.    The group that inspired my recommendation of this is titled as follows:    Happy Crappy Xmas - Chemo January 2012.   I think you can find the thread but can't read anything unless accepted as a friend.  

My Hawaii trip was wonderful.  I loved the islands.   Beautiful beyond words.    I was blessed to have use of my niece's car quite often so I could explore on my own.  I will elaborate further on our FB page.

Hugs and warm thoughts to all.    I am approaching the 3 year anniv of my dx and surg.   Lots of mixed emotions!

• FLDREAMER
    Options

Moon (aka Monica)    I finally mastered my Kindle.  I also have an Android phone now and get Kindle on it also.  I've become an avid reader again for the first time in years.  Since I'm retired now, I've been going to the library.  I've also been getting audiobooks so I can listen as I do tasks around the house or while driving.  It has helped me 'escape' from the blues.   Although my vacation was wonderful, I've felt a bit of a letdown returning to normal around the hometown and the cold weather, of course.  (I hate anything below 65 degrees.... lol

• FLDREAMER
    Options

Myleftboob/Maureen:

You commented above about the possiblility of doing recon and the various options.   Although I had a full mx, I chose not to do any reconstruction.  So I can't give you any pros or cons.   I wish you well in whatever you decide.     I still mourn for my missing breast and sometimes wish I had done the recon after all.   But I just felt I couldn't go thru the time and discomfort involved, not to mention the expense.   Since I turn 72 in December, I'm just glad I'm still around.   (most of the time...lol)

• moonflwr912
    Options

fld, yes! I love my ereader. I love books too but the ereader is easier to take with me. And yes I know I can read on my phone and sync them, but it sucks up so much battery.  That's why I prefer the ereader. Since I have always had a book in my purse (and yes, I buy my purses to be able to hold one! LOL) this is no different. LOL

I'm not fond of the cold either. We will definitely gave to get together sometime!

Much love

• lumpynme
    lumpynme Member Posts: 497
    Options

Hello! i have been awol due to many many life things getting in teh way--mostly michael's health which is a whole nother post, money issues (as usual!) and moving a few times---

i see there is a fb page for us?? where ???? my email attached to my fb is mammak_54@yahoo.com which is NOT the email attached to this board.....would love to catch up with you all!

today; i go for my first mammo since tx in 2012---i know--i'm way overdue but----

i'm not worried yet there is this teeny niggle in teh back of my brain.....i quit my arimidex way back when so - well---

anyhow- would love to catch up!!!! i'm a full time stay at home caregiver for michael now so am online alot!