Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,179
    Options

Prune juice doesn't do much for me unless I drink large quantities. And I can NOT do stewed prunes, since they were often served when I was a little kid (before frozen foods when everything was canned) & required eating. No matter what my throat says, my brain would say "barf city". However, I can eat 3 dried prunes a day and usually I'm OK. In fact I found a grocery store to buy some at my first cruise stop - before I discovered the G&Ts work.

My docs all said plain Colace was a first line prevention for all my surgeries. (pain meds often cause constipation) It's just a stool softener, but usually that's enough to get me going (pun intended) after the little hard balls are forced out. And it's not addictive like a laxative. I probably still take one every month or two when the rabbit & deer pellets start to back up.

Judi - I'm going to get some Jujubes. I haven't thought of them in years.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    Options

Dried prunes - each one has five grams of sugar.

• minustwo
    Options

Wow Marijen, I never thought to look at the sugar. Both packages I have say 5 prunes are 15 grams of sugar. I rarely look at sugar in things, only sodium. Thanks for the tip.

• marijen
    Options

MinusTwo, you know how PetScans work? You don't eat carbs for so many hours, you fast, and then they give you a big drink of sugar water. The sugar goes straight to the cancer and inflammation areas in your body and then they scan. Cancer loves sugar, you need some glucose but not too much. Chisandy can explain it better. Just remember sugar feeds cancer.

• art15
    art15 Member Posts: 7
    Options

My wife is currently finished with 6 cycles of Carbo/Gem,(2015) before that, in her other breast, she had TAC chemo(2009)....she had gastro-intestinal problems ...

Her constipation was relieved by a fiber supplement from enzyme supplement we buy from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GFSVPU?psc=1&...

( this is essential enzymes by Source Naturals)

The fiber I can't find a picture of on Riteaid web, but it's not the over-priced Metamucil brand, it is THIS:

RiteAid Multihealth fiber supplement / psyllium husk 3.4gm / net wt. 48.2oz/ 114 doses/ orange flavor.

If you need a picture of it, I will post it. hope this helps

• minustwo
    Options

Marijen - I'm not hormone plus, so the sugar doesn't do much to my cancers. On the other hand, I do believe in "everything in moderation", so I haven't totally cut out anything.

• JudiH
    JudiH Member Posts: 1,168
    Options

MT, finally the Metamucil kicked in after I had a coffee. Then I had lots of jujubes to kick start tomorrow morning. Going to a birthday bash so I don't want "no problems"!

• marijen
    Options

I don't think hormone plus or minus has anything to do with sugar making a beeline for the cancer....

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Thinking(surmising) is not knowing.....................................Please post Evidenced Based Research. Thanks :)

• marijen
    Options

Here's one, there are plenty more.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/65763.php

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Marjean didn't say you were wrong. Just asked for backup. EBR is back up. Your link goes to an article. The problem with articles is the author can pick and choose from research about what they think is important. If the article author has a particular bias, the can sway the reader by links connections. The average person doesn't have the time or inclination to read studies in their entirety. Studies can be a PITA. They can be so dense with data, they are unreadable. Seems to me there is an old joke. Dazzle them.......

But, I agree on the sugar to a point. I suggest that you look at this link to a topic on weight. It was my topic. While waiting for any response to the topic, I got to reading on the Microbiome. You will have to do allot of study in reading to add to you knowledge, but I think you will enjoy the ride.

I stopped abruptly b/c the studies got to the point of defining diet. What it lead to was a Paleo diet. Likely, Mediterenean(sic), Japanese were of consideration, but I didn't go that far. I lost interest for the subject at that moment in time, b/c I went onto another thing.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/73/topics/832722?page=1

• minustwo
    Options

OK SAS wants research - Of course there are plenty of articles that one could pick to argue either side of any issue. However a couple of those sites that I personally tend to rate highly are quoted below. I did find several articles that surmize that sugar does fuel the growth of estrogen - but again, since I don't have hormone positive cancer - those aren't of interest to me. Sort of like the soy issue. Sorry of that seems selfish but we all have more info than we can possibly understand & remember even if we stick to our own specific cancers.

American Cancer Society: "A myth says: "Sugar feeds cancer." But the truth is that sugar doesn't make cancer grow faster. All cells, including cancer cells, depend on blood sugar (glucose) for energy. But giving more sugar to cancer cells doesn't make them grow faster and starving them of sugar doesn't make them grow slower." http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/features/how-you...

Mayo Clinic: "Fact: Sugar doesn't make cancer grow faster. All cells, including cancer cells, depend on blood sugar (glucose) for energy. But giving more sugar to cancer cells doesn't speed their growth. Likewise, depriving cancer cells of sugar doesn't slow their growth." http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/canc...

CTCA: "There is no conclusive research on human subjects to prove that sugar makes cancerous cells grow and metastasize." http://www.cancercenter.com/discussions/blog/does-...

• minustwo
    Options

Sorry SAS - we were posting at the same time. You are right, this isn't really a constipation issue.

• dsgirl
    dsgirl Member Posts: 193
    Options

MinusTwo, Thanks for the info on sugar, I am relieved about that, since I am 95% ER positive, and really am enjoying my stewed prune-golden raisins and apricots, it is very sweet, but I like sweet, it's all fruits, so should be fairly healthy? I use sugar in my coffee and teas as well, love raspberry preserves, more sugar, eat York mints, ok, I better stop, as you said it is a constipation thread. Glad you posted the myths anyway. If I grow tired of the stewed stuff, I am gonna try the easy remedy that works for you, MT. it may work for me too. I used to drink the tonic water as it helped with leg, foot cramps.

dsgirl

• sas-schatzi
    Options

HEY, WE CAN DIVERGE okay by me. Thread starter has lot's of say. Go with what you have :)

• sas-schatzi
    Options

interesting....................................

• sas-schatzi
    Options

MT I originally thought your posts would dovetail into the weight thread, but they don't. I did find the answers we needed re: the remedy. I took a pain pill so up most of the night.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

The question related to stewed prunes, raisins, and apricots used as a constipation reliever. The basic question is related to sugars. The link is to a list that ranks fructose in fruits.

http://fitnessprohealth.com/high-fructose-fruit/

The following is from above article: "Fruits with higher than 4 grams of fructose are considered high. Common high fructose fruits include all dried fruits(emphasis mine), grapes, apples, pears, cherries, pomegranate, kiwi and blackberries. Consume fresh, low-fructose whole fruit in moderation. Low fructose fruits include: strawberries, bananas, cantaloupe, pineapple, peaches, grapefruit, limes and lemons, avocados and tomatoes, apricots, mangos, and plums."

From the study "Mechanisms linking gut microbiota to obesity, IR, and type 2 diabetes" "Mice consuming high-fructose solution for 8 weeks showed a 27-fold increase in portal endotoxin levels, coupled with a significant increase in plasma inflammatory cytokines, hepatic steatosis, and IR, compared with water controls." Dried fruits would appear to negatively influence overall gut health, but the amount used is small. When put in light of the problem of constipation severe enough to require daily use of a remedy, one could choose the natural remedy or use an osmotic laxative.

YAY, Found an answer first try. Considering it's 5:30 am, that's very nice. The following was copied and pasted from this link. Our constipation remedy is high in sorbitol which is produced in a reduction of glucose.

http://patient.info/health/constipation-in-adults-leaflet

Sorbitol

Sorbitol is a naturally occurring sugar. It is not digested very well and draws water into the gut, which has an effect of softening the stools. In effect, it acts like a natural osmotic laxative (osmotic laxatives are explained later). So, you may wish to include some foods that contain sorbitol in your diet. Fruits (and their juices) that have a high sorbitol content include apples, apricots, gooseberries, grapes (and raisins), peaches, pears, plums, prunes, raspberries and strawberries. The concentration of sorbitol is about 5-10 times higher in dried fruit.

Osmotic laxatives

These work by retaining fluid in the large bowel by osmosis (so less fluid is absorbed into the bloodstream from the large bowel). There are two types - lactulose and a group called macrogols (also called polyethylene glycols). Miralax is a polyethylene glycol.

Conclusion:

Sorbitol is a naturally occurring, but it is also a manmade sweetner. The question under discussion is in re: to prunes, raisins, and apricots in which sorbitol is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbitol . Manmade sorbitol is an entirely independent study from our remedy.

Use the minimum amount to accomplish the goal of a movement. Use with caution in diabetics because of affect on blood glucose. For those that have irritable bowel syndrome, it may aggravate their condition.

Further study would be needed to determined affect on gut microbiota and dysbiosis. (gut bacteria and imbalance of gut bacteria)

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Sheesh, I spend my nights doing such exciting things...................

• dsgirl
    Options

Oh no Sassy, up all night, did the pain med at least get rid of the pain although it caused insomnia?

Thanks for all the info above, trying to digest it, no pun intended. I have found that coffee in the am also tend to send me to the bathroom for relief, the other stuff I use to stay regular, are making me feel slightly bloated, I am skinny, 5' 6", 114 lbs, but do show a gut, but it beats going 4-5 days with no BM, and then having to use a laxative, which cleans me out, then diarrhea for the next 2 days Normal body functions just worn out at this stage in my life I think. My blood glucose readings always in the low eighties, actually wake up in the morning feeling very hungry, and a bit shaky, and need food right away.

dsgirl

• sas-schatzi
    Options

dsg mostly it's okay. If I knew I was gonna have pain woulda taken it earlier ---like yesterday morning and then I woulda slept. Worked out well though. I was able to concentrate on finding an answer on why are simple natural remedy works :0 Always took it for granted. It just did. But they're is a real reason. Yup, coffee was the go to drug to get a go.................have a great day :)

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Let's see a simpler answer on the remedy. It's perfectly designed to do what it does.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Dsgirl, Have you talked to your doc about how you feel in the morning. A morning fasting blood glucose of 80's is normal(70-100). When you talk with your doc ask him if doing a protein/ and carb snack before bedtime would help the way you feel in the morning. Proteins take longer to metabolize. Would keep your blood sugar more even. Frankly, I would love that. All I'd do is pile on some Lbs.

• JudiH
    Options

Morning Sas! Here's one for you to start you day!image

• JudiH
    Options

• JudiH
    Options

Good morning Sas! I posted the above for your morning laugh!

• dsgirl
    Options

Thanks Sassy, I never asked any doc. about the urge, need to eat in the morning when I first get up. just figured it's been a long time since I had something to eat, and lived with it.

I do eat a granola kind of bar each day, will have to look if there is some protein in it, know there are carbs, honey usually, could certainly eat one at nite and see how it goes.

Judi, love the poster, don't think I could get in that position, lol.

dsgirl

• JudiH
    Options

Hi dsgirl! Thanks for the love of the poster. I just thought it was so appropriate. I do wish that I would have a regular bm. If I take Metamucil then I go then don't for about 3 days afterwards. Uggggh!

• dsgirl
    Options

Judi, it's so trial and error to find something that works for each one of us, I think I finally have what's right for me, but it took a long time, am using several ideas found in this forum. It just seems like such a
    "job" to remember to DO each thing every day, miss the days when I did not have to think about what I ate, but they are a thing of the past.

Good luck to you finding your "cure"

dsgirl

• sas-schatzi
    Options