Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• JudiH
    JudiH Member Posts: 1,168
    Options

Hi dsgirl! You are so right about the "warm water" working. I started drinking hot water every morning and it works 90% of the time. Doesn't work if I have had jujubes/liquorice before hand. However, all of these work really well! I also heard that if you slice lemon in the hot water it is also effective in weight loss!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

Judi - you're eating licorice for breakfast? Darn girl - you're having too much fun in Florida.

• JudiH
    Options

MT, you are so right .... licorice for breakfast. lunch, snack .... loving it!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

• JudiH
    Options

Merry Christmas to all and may you be blessed!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump :)

• Mikie1956
    Mikie1956 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Being new to this problem, just started first round of four rounds of AC and then 3 days of anti nausea meds and steroids, so I experienced this problem for the first time. Plus it was over Christmas which made it worse.... My solution was 2 cups of Traditional Medicinals Smooth Move Tea and 2 capsules of magnesium at night...all clear the next morning....have not tried other meds but will sure incorporate the apricots, prunes with yogurt. Sounds delicious..

• sas-schatzi
    Options

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Mikie, Sorry you are here and all the trouble, Just found out tonight that yogurt isn't the best thing. Unless it's guaranteed to have the probiotic culture. Look at the ingredient list. Always knew it should say culture added. But tonight's learning was that commercial yogurt ain't what we expected. Sugar/corn syrup etc. Both mess with the bacteria of the gut.

Think Probiotics. Really high quality..............Tuffy in todays's market. I get Bluebonnet. But am dismayed on the whole supplement industry re: quality control.

Pop in on the weight thread..............the studies on microbiota----bugs that live on and in us...... a few years from now every doc is going to key in on this. It's exploding(pun)...........

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Mikie, I love Traditional Medicinals.........each tea actually does what it says it's going to do. My first experience with them was in the early 80's. Made the mistake of drinking sleepy tea when I was nursing my son. Very bad. He ended up okay, but never did that again. He loved their Easy Tea.

• corky60
    corky60 Member Posts: 453
    Options

I've been reading all these suggestions for quite awhile and now can contribute something.

A naturopath I had recommended Metagenics UltraFlora IB for use after antibiotic treatment. There are 60 billion live organisms. Once my gut got back to normal I switched to Metagenics UltraFlora Balance with 15 billion live organisms. This is an expensive brand and should be kept in the refrigerator. I order them from Vitacost and they're shipped in a cold pack. I also use a prebiotic, Fiber Choice assorted fruit tablets. Be careful, these can make you gassy.

This treatment plus occasional use of stewed prunes and apricots do the trick.

• brithael
    brithael Member Posts: 150
    Options

New to this thread, not new to this problem. After surgery, I just took the stool softener and miralax and did fine. Now that I'm on TC, can't seem to move it all, just bits. Read through this entire thread and will be trying many things to make sure it all comes out right in the end.

Loved this so much, thought I'd repost for those who might have missed it. Five Constipated Men

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Thanks Corky. Our Biome's thank you :)

Birthael, Yes, everything coming out in the end is our goal from start to finnish. Love a good finnish. Five Constipated men is a hoot. Have seen it before, but it's always fun seeing it again. I had it in the topic box at one point. I'm going to put your link there Thanks.

• dsgirl
    dsgirl Member Posts: 193
    Options

Hello all,

Nothing but good news to report from this end, (pun intended), doing the warm water drink upon rising, then before coffee and breakfast I "go", still eating the apricot, prune, golden raisins on my greek probiotic yogurt later in the day, and loving it still, and am happy to report I don't have to even use the chewable fiber supplement, (too bad I stocked up on it, but sometimes in a small town it is hard to find). Throwing away the calendar I HAD to use to keep track of my "moves". Thanks bunches to all contributors to this thead, and a special Thank You to MinusTwo and Sassy for keeping this thread alive.

A grateful

dsgirl

• minustwo
    Options

dsgirl - oh my, throwing away "THE" calendar!!! I don't have a 2016 calendar dedicated to "moves" yet, and it's been worrying me. I think maybe I'll try transitioning to a notebook, but it's just not as visual. After my Mother's stroke, my Dad kept 3 note pads on 3 clipboards 3x5 size with entries for every single day of her life for 12 years listing: 1) what meds were given & what time; 2) when there was a poopy diaper & the consistency & how large; 3) the time the nutrition bottle was changed for the feeding tube. She lived to 90 but was a total vegetable, so his focus was on getting it right. And he kept every single paper for the entire 12 years. After all my jokes about his 'papers', and my grown son's comments about Grandpa's conversations being limited to Grandma's BMs, I'm horrified that I'm still considering keeping a Poop Diary, but...

• sas-schatzi
    Options

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

How did we miss these stocking stuffers ?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jameskicksa/12-celebrated-works-of-poop-fiction-b2tp#.sy0wMD12W

• dsgirl
    dsgirl Member Posts: 193
    Options

Sassy, love the goat meme, MinusTwo, Wow, 12 year diary in the subject. I was sooooo worried that my kids would be cleaning out my house some day when I am gone, and find these calendars, thinking back, my Mom's mind was alot on keeping regular as well as she aged, she passed away at 84, and it seems our phone conversations involved alot about keeping herself regular her last 2 years. My Dad had passed away 2 years prior to her passing, also at 84 of age, and he passed while trying to start his mower, he had brought it into the bathroom, no less, as it would not start outside, oil was too cold he had told her, and after a few pulls ot the cord, he sighed, and passed on. Aorta aneurysm. They both smoked until the day they died, but enjoyed their lives fully.

dsgirl

• minustwo
    Options

Love the lawn mower story. My Dad was still climbing on the roof of a three story house to remove leaves when he was 88. And he was taking care of my Mother at home - mostly by himself. I finally got him to stop climbing only by telling him that if he fell, I would make sure he & Mother were put in different nursing homes and would never see each other again. That worked, but he still fell down the inside stairs trying to maneuver a 27" TV down around a curve. He broke his collar bone & lay on the floor for 8-10 hours because he couldn't reach a phone & of course Mother was a vegetable. He did just fine for many more years. Sure glad that stubborn isn't hereditary - LOL.

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    Options

You guys are making me laugh. My 92 year old dad was raking leaves and fell into the giant junipers and got stuck. Finally my brother heard him and pulled him out. He had juniper bits sticking to his clothes and scratches all over but he was okay. I shouldn't think it was funny but I laughed when my brother told me. You can't stop some of these old men from doing what they want to do--or what they used to be able to do.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

I coined a word in the 70's not long after taking my psychology classes. Lot's of new concepts and words were learned i.e. the word egocentric: thinking only of oneself, without regard for the feelings or desires of others; self-centered. The suffix centric: in or at the center; central, lent itself to be used in many ways.

My dad was centered around his bowels. He could get any conversation to move(pun) towards talk of the bowel. The word I coined was Bowelcentric. To mean: the center of a person's existence was around the working of their bowel.

Loved the stories too.

• JudiH
    Options

Ladies, thanks for the laughs on a Friday night. Best time yet. My mom was always constipated and talked about gm's. My older brother would also sigh as he was so "proper". When he became cancer stricken and couldn't go, he commented that he finally understood what my mom was saying. Funny, tonight as I finally went, I thought of my mom and all her troubles going to the bathroom. Geez, another 20=30 years of this .... oh this should be fun. Hmmm, maybe I'll be in a diaper and won't give a "shit"!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

No no no you want to give a shit

• sas-schatzi
    Options

To anyone that has a serious shitting problem, we give a shit, and want to help you shit. But in the mean time joking about shit, alleviates some of the focus on shit. But we are deteriorating in the use of our language. We usually say POOP. It is more universally acceptable within societal acceptance of the descriptive word for excrement.

• minustwo
    Options

OK - OK ...Poop, Poop, Poop!!!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Laughing :)

• sas-schatzi
    Options

OMD what would I doo with out you and judi

• JudiH
    Options

Ha, ha, Sasi .... the word "poop" sounds like I'm talking to a toddler and watching my p's and q's! O.K. clean it is!

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    Options

You guys need to cut the crap.Loopy

• minustwo
    Options

Ellelou - thanks for my laugh of the day. Actually wishing I could have more - crap that is. Just ate three prunes - my go to solution when things get hard. (I know, my own fault for skipping salads the last 3 days, but i was with my cousin from Phoenix who brought her daughter to MDA for scans)

To everyone who doesn't usually follow this thread and is looking for relief - there really are LOTS of very good suggestions. We know it's a serious issue, and hope you'll read previous posts for ideas. Sometimes we just have to cut loose (of course, pun intended).

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Serious now, really New study links fructose and sucrose to BC an recurrence. We had a discussion awhile back about . I will try and find it. OH VEY it's always something.

https://iquitsugar.com/breast-cancer-fructose-sugar/

Page 24

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/781867?page=24

No clue how this fits into what we are doing with the prunes, apricots etc.