Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

This link is to a thread done by Rock. It's the go to list for chemo

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topic/706846?page=1

• JudiH
    JudiH Member Posts: 1,168
    Options

Hi Sas! Just wanted you to know that I got a call from the surgeon's office who did the "colonoscopy". I told the secretary that I had to get the results from my family doctor as no one call me back. She said she had to check with the doctor first to give the results over the phone. Seems like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing! At the hospital the surgeon says to call the office for the results but the secretary doesn't seem to know this. Like really. But she did say to me that "if I'm still having a problem with constipation" to speak with my family doctor. Seems like the surgeon just likes to give "meds" to take care of a problem but family doctor is on board with me .... Metamucil.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,175
    Options

Judi - and it the Metamucil working to your satisfaction?

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Judi, ---------Not good that the scoper didn't do an office appointment to review results. Bad practice. Particularily in your case. A long term problem as you have had, they should do an explanation about how they perceive your colon has weathered this assault. Plus, he should tell you what the long term plan of treatment is. If insurance isn't a problem, I'd schedule an appointment

Did we know you were getting scoped?

So Happy you are done with this!

Please, read from the beginning. Many member's have offered pearls. MT can attest to that one. She's one of them.

• Pamela79
    Pamela79 Member Posts: 1
    Options

To keep my bowel healthy, I take smoothie almost every morning. I keep things simple; I just mix water with apple, organic carrot, blue/blackgerries, banana, raw honey, sea salt, and fresh grinded flaxseed. Since I am vegan, I also add 1-2 tbsp of unhulled hemp seeds as milk substitute. I have regular bowel movements, and due to high fiber content, the smoothie keeps me full for hours.

It is also important to avoid diary; it is one of the number ones causes of constipation.

Note: you need a nutri-bullet juicer for the smoothie and a grinder to grind the flax seeds

Let's fight (removed by Moderators) together!

• crs003
    crs003 Member Posts: 18
    Options

I was having problems with Zofran in particular. I asked my nurse if it would be ok to try not taking it after treatment (I took three doses every 8 hours) since I had not had any issues with nausea. She approved of trying it out. Now I don't have the kind of problems I had before. I'm not taking any meds now, just what I get before treatment. So it may be worth asking if you can stop taking a medication, or give it a try.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump for a better go, Lot's of info from the beginning written by many members that can be helpful. Pick and choose what works for you :) sassy

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump, bumps, it's coming out in lumps, you need too start at the beginning to find something to use or you bottom's going to hurt :(

• lmoore4
    lmoore4 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Metamucil

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

What fun science is :) Came across this article while searching something else.

We have discussed Probiotics--good bacteria. Most people will recognize good bacteria as being found in yogurt. Scientist have made a connection between certain colon friendly bacteria and brain health. Particularly, anxiety. This article is pretty layperson friendly.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/06/gut-bacteria-on-the-brain/395918/

How and why this is important to our community? Because of the treatments we receive i.e. chemo, antibiotics pre & post surgery, and antibiotics for complications of each, our gastrointestinal ( mouth to anus) flora is altered. Certain antibiotics  alter the intestinal flora of the vaginal area. The dreaded 'yeast infection'. For several decades the concentration of thought was to replenish good intestinal flora of the GI tract and vagina. What the article identifies is the brain came be affected by changes in the GI flora. We have another reason to consider replenishing good bacteria  of the gut when are body is exposed to chemicals

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump-lot's of suggestion from the beginning. if one doesn't work try another one :)

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• JudiH
    Options

Hi Sas! Hope your summer is going well. Really hot here in Ontario ..... humidity is the killer. Submitted my stool sample and awaiting results. Don't know how long it takes as I submitted it on Friday and now Wednesday. I'm thinking by tomorrow I should have some something.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Hi Judi, did I send you a pm or post about the microbiome. Remember when I said that a person couldn't have resistance to a bug in a foreign land or something. It's back there when we were working on your poop. WELLLLlllllllll, I started some reading on another subject, and that lead to something else. They're has been an explosion of interest in bacteria that lives on us and in us. Hours of reading. Anyways, my statement whatever it was, was wrong. LOL That's very nurse like wasn't it. Brain is disconnected. OCD is off. :)

Summer's been great. Knock on wood, first time somethings not wrong since 2008. Not quite sure how to handle it.

I get to be 65 tomorrow! 7/30/1950

• JudiH
    Options

Happy birthday Sas .... you are at a young age and at great place in life. Enjoy your day! I hear you about the first time since somethings not wrong .... good way to life. ThumbsUp Have fun tomorrow ... do something out of the ordinary since you are in good health!

• minustwo
    Options

SAS - Happy B-day. I'm not sure what you said that is now wrong, but what is right?

I've been trying to lurk on the Insomniacs thread which you mentioned to me some months ago. Ii want to follow Rose from Death & Dying, but no way can I keep the pace. I'll just have to drop in now & then.

Judi - hope the sample comes back A+ grade poop & no problems.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Thank you Judi & Minustwo  YAY another year. I'm 6 years out  from BC dx. another YAY. Oddly, not worried about the thyroid cancer of 2014 and all the other CHit.

Important, Follow my Toradol thread. NSAIDS are showing up in allot of research as a game changer for cancer. Only found the connection last week or so.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump, Lot's of suggestion form the beginning to the end. We just kind of socialized on the last page.

• JudiH
    Options

Well Sas, how is your BIG year going? Well I hope. I know I'm have the BIG 60th in November. God, where has the time gone? Anyways, I spoke with the doctor's office and sample "inconclusive". Apparently, the lab says I didn't fill out something. I know I did but I'll do a repeat. But going to a different lab this time. Will keep you posted.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Judi we will meet here in DEc with MT and celebrate. Having some fun on the research page. Right up your alley. It's on the microbiome of the gut. (bacteria of the gut). Hope the test comes out okay(punnnn)

Yoohoooo Waving MT, Are you still lurking? Ready to jump in?

• minustwo
    Options

SAS - of course this thread is on "my favorites". Your post reminded me I need to eat 3 prunes tonight. I am lurking on your Insomniac thread. No way I can keep up but I want to keep track of RoseValley. Everytime I think I might jump in and say something, I read the several new pages I forget what it was or someone else has already responded.

Judi - are you really going to be the big 6-zero? You sure look great. Well then you definitely need to delay the mammo & go to Bangkok. I loved 60. I decided I could do pretty much whatever I wanted since I earned it & paid my dues & deserved it. And this was before BC. So then my Mom died that year, my best friend the next year and my Dad the next. I spent much of my time sorting stuff, calling the Salvation Army, getting houses ready to sell, etc.

Oh oh SAS - sorry I'm off track again. I do hope new people or those in need are finding this thread. There's such good info.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

no, I love catching up.

• JudiH
    Options

Thanks MT. I think we all look great when we get to this age plus. You know what, we own it! So sorry to hear you had to go through so many losses. Mine have all been before this age so keeping my fingers crossed.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    Options

AhHA! Here is where I need to be for answers to my very new problem. I have been on painkillers for several years and NEVER have I had any issues with constipation. But, all of a sudden? Now I find myself chitin pine cones as someone else called it here on this thread. Very hard stool. I drink a lot of water (always have) but have not taken much for this issue except a generic OTC stool softener which gave me cramps.

So, gonna try the good old prune route. Does this work for hard stool? I do go but not all at once. Takes me several tries before I feel done cause it hurts to pass the stuff out of there. No hemorrhoids yet but remember having them when pregnant over 30 years ago and don't want to go through that again if I can help it!

Suggestions?

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Hi April, Long time no see :)  Hate it when they're is trouble in the end. They're is several parts to your question. Fill in the blank , cut& paste to another box.

What do you take for a pain med?________________ How often do you take the pain med?__________

Last dose?______

Have you changed your diet within the last two weeks?_______________________________________________

Do you know how many glasses of fluids you drink a day?________________Coffee/tea?soda?_______________

Antibiotics within the last 3months/ what/why?______________________________________________________

Did you start any new meds within the last month?__________________________________________________

What meds do you take?_______________________________________________________________________

Any Left side abdominal pain?__________? Abdominal pain elswhere?___________Any bloating?____________

Any change in stool color?____________________________________________________

Have you noticed any streaking of blood on the hard stool?____________________________________________

When you were taking pain meds how often would you evacuate?_______________________________________

What's your immune status?_____________________________________________________________________

Do you have grandkids? (just kidding)

I did a review after the thread was going awhile(around page 8. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the greateast success was with the stewed prunes and apricots and other things. Would love to say they're is gin in the recipe like that arthritis recipe, but they're isn't. Take a look at page 10, I did a review of laxatives and stool softners. They're stool softerns/ laxatives, and combo drugs. You'll see in reading that lot's of folks use Miralax. I have concerns about Miralax b/c of micro-absorption.

IMPORTANT: this is a review. It will help Identify if you have had a new onset condition change that will help you decide if you need to go to the doc. Not every episode of constipation needs a physican look, but a condition change does. I can't suggest what you take. sassy

• sas-schatzi
    Options

April, I guess you found what you need --good luck :)

• sas-schatzi
    Options

• sas-schatzi
    Options

• JudiH
    Options

Ha, ha. Now picture this is me but only 50+ years older!