Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

LOL Judi --cute

dsgrl, it's always sumpin...............Have you tried probiotics?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,179
    Options

OK - SAS, I know you saw this on the Insomniac thread, but I think it's relevant here too. Any Judi is daring me to go ahead, so...

• JudiH
    JudiH Member Posts: 1,168
    Options

MT I love it! Wouldn't it be fun if eating pumpkin pie really "made you go". I would eat it every day. It's like going to a baby shower and guessing which "melted" chocolate bars are in the baby diapers. Who every came up with this pic as a great sense of humour!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Well now Judi, since you've been on Insomniacs and we were talking about our dogs eating foreign objects. Twice my dogs have had to eat pumpkin pie filling to help PUSH through something. For my Schatzi it was baggie and a tie. Even my friends stupid dog that ate glass was told by her vet to use pumpkin pie filling after he was released.

So it, might be worth alook.............for us LOL.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

You gals are so funny, but you did find something. This describes it's use in diarrhea and constipation in dogs. Still looking for human info.

http://raisinghealthydogs.com/discover-the-health-benefits-of-canned-pumpkin-for-dogs

Yup, bunches of web sites that have pumpkin in their lists for constipation remedies for humans.

Enjoy your pie :)

• minustwo
    Options

SAS - how funny about the dog guts. I've forwarded to my son. Guess I'd better buy some canned pumpkin for me. I was thinking about pumpkin muffins this week anyway.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Isn't life just a bowl of pumpkin. :)

• JudiH
    Options

Well now MT, you have to invite Sas and I for "pumpkin muffins" or at least Fedex them to us! I'm in!

• JudiH
    Options

Side Effects of Pumpkin Seeds

Last Updated: May 10, 2015 | By Meg CampbellSide Effects of Pumpkin SeedsA close-up of roasted pumpkin seeds. Photo Credit Chunumunu/iStock/Getty Images

If you're a fan of pumpkin seeds, you probably don't need to be convinced that extracting them from their pulpy web is worth the effort. Including whole pumpkin seeds in your diet -- chewy white shell and all -- is an easy way to boost your intake of unsaturated fat, dietary fiber, zinc, iron, magnesium and vitamin E. Although pumpkin seeds are undeniably healthy, they can be a source of undesirable side effects.

Pumpkin Seeds and Indigestion

The first thing you'll notice when you pop a few pumpkin seeds into your mouth is just how chewy their shells are. Whole pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of insoluble fiber, the kind that promotes digestive efficiency and bowel regularity. Despite these important benefits, whole seeds can be tough, stringy and difficult to chew thoroughly, which may lead to indigestion. Poorly chewed pumpkin seeds can irritate your esophagus as you swallow and eating too many may cause an otherwise unpleasant feeling of fullness.

You Might Also Like

Fiber in Pumpkin SeedsFiber in Pumpkin Seeds

Can I Eat Pumpkin Seed Shells?Can I Eat Pumpkin Seed Shells?

Pumpkin Seeds & TestosteronePumpkin Seeds & Testosterone

Flaxseed Vs. Pumpkin SeedFlaxseed Vs. Pumpkin Seed

Uses for Pumpkin Seed OilUses for Pumpkin Seed Oil

The Health Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds and PepitasThe Health Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds and Pepitas

Can Pumpkin Seeds Help You Lose Weight?Can Pumpkin Seeds Help You Lose Weight?

The Benefits of PumpkinThe Benefits of Pumpkin

Pumpkin Seeds & Blood PressurePumpkin Seeds & Blood Pressure

Salted Pumpkin Seeds NutritionSalted Pumpkin Seeds Nutrition

Omega-3 in Pumpkin SeedsOmega-3 in Pumpkin Seeds

How to Steam Fresh PumpkinHow to Steam Fresh Pumpkin

Pumpkin Seeds & Prostate CancerPumpkin Seeds & Prostate Cancer

Pumpkin Seeds Nutritional FactsPumpkin Seeds Nutritional Facts

Health Benefits of Pepitas Pumpkin SeedsHealth Benefits of Pepitas Pumpkin Seeds

Pumpkin Seed Butter NutritionPumpkin Seed Butter Nutrition

Gas, Diarrhea or Constipation

Eating too many pumpkin seeds, even when carefully chewed, can also lead to intestinal gas and diarrhea. Pumpkin seeds are high in fiber -- you'll get just over 5 grams from a 1-ounce serving of the whole variety, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture -- which means that some of their carbohydrates aren't fully digestible. When these undigested carbohydrates reach your large intestines, they're broken down by bacteria. Gas is a byproduct of this process, particularly for people who aren't accustomed to fiber-rich foods. Eating more fiber than you're used to can also lead to loose, watery stools. If you typically have diarrhea after eating pumpkin seeds, however, you may have a food intolerance or sensitivity. Constipation is also a possible, albeit less likely, side effect of eating pumpkin seeds -- the fiber you get from eating large amounts of pumpkin seeds can also stop you up temporarily.

Preventing Side Effects

Eating the seeds in moderation -- 1 ounce is the standard amount for an individual serving -- and with plenty of fluids can prevent digestive problems. Pumpkin seeds have also been known to trigger migraine headaches in some people. If you're not prone to migraines, however, you probably won't develop one from eating pumpkin seeds.

Avoiding Toxins From Spoilage

Although the unsaturated fatty acids in pumpkin seeds promote cardiovascular health, they also make the seeds prone to spoil quickly. Eating rancid pumpkin seeds exposes you to free radicals, toxic compounds that can increase your risk of cancer, heart disease and other chronic illnesses. Fresh, dry pumpkin seeds can stay in peak condition for about two months in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Seeds that smell musty, oily or grassy have probably gone rancid.

• JudiH
    Options

Sas, I've taken the liberty of posting the above info on pumpkin seeds. Gonna buy me some .... I love them!

• dsgirl
    dsgirl Member Posts: 193
    Options

MinusTwo, Love the "How pumpkin pies are really made". I do believe pumpkin helps "move" things along. My son and his friend ( at age 8-9 or so) managed to polish off a whole pumpkin pie at a Thanksgiving dinner party, they both ended up with diarrhea.

dsgirl

• minustwo
    Options

I am so NOT going to publish about the pumpkin seeds on the smoking thread. We'll just stay w/sunflower seeds there thanks.

• JudiH
    Options

Morning ladies. This is a first for me in such a long time, and I mean a long time. I made Quaker Oat Bran Cream Hot Cereal (supposedly all natural - no additives, no preservatives). Let's see if this works!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Praying for poop LOL

With the pumpkin seeds.......just don't toast them. I did years ago. A seed broke. It jammed into the gum between two molars. I lost one tooth and had to have a crown on the other. Most expensive snack ever.....................

• JudiH
    Options

Sas, I hear you about the seeds. Once I had a "wine gum" and end up breaking the tooth which resulted in root canal, and then eventually the tooth to be pulled. I like pumpkin seeds on their own but to be honest, they didn't make me go. AND I bought the expensive ones and also "pumpkin oil". I wonder if the oil does the same as the seeds but no damage to your teeth?

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Pumpkin Oil???? How would that be used?

• JudiH
    Options

Sas, I bought it at a store that sells only "pumpkin seeds and oil". You use it to make salad dressings. I'll find the link and post it.

• JudiH
    Options

Currency

• en

Welcome, Log in

Categories

Information links

Pumpkin Seed Oil

Styrian Gold - Pumpkin Seed Oil & Seeds Now Available in Canada

STYRIAN GOLD INC. Canada

Styrian Gold - Pumpkin Seed Oil & Seeds Now Available in Canada

Delightful, Delicious and Naturally Nutritious!

Styrian Gold Pumpkin Seed Oil is prized far beyond the borders of Styria, (Steiermark) a province in the south of Austria. This award winning, unrefined, 100% pure Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil, is thicker and has a darker green colour, compared to pumpkin seed oils pressed from North American pumpkins. The Styrian oil has a unique, nutty aroma, light, smooth taste and is praised for its palatability and flavour enhancing qualities. It is mainly used as a finishing oil for cold dishes, and is typically drizzled over salads, vegetables, soups and deserts. The oil and seeds are being used globally in creative ways by a growing number of chefs, to entice their customers.

Not a lot of Canadians know about this special Styrian oil pumpkin that is grown just for the seeds. Austrians have been pressing these shell-less and extremely healthy seeds into a beautiful oil for generations. Now we want to bring this great food to Canada so that Canadians can enjoy this unique, healthy and great tasting oil.

And, in case you haven't heard, the health benefits of Styrian Gold Pumpkin Seed Oil are quite astounding! Being naturally packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals vital for our bodily functions, particularly our plumbing, (which includes the liver, bladder, urinary tract and prostate) it is quickly becoming the wise choice for health professionals and health conscious people all over the world as a natural, wholesome, versatile and great tasting alternative.

A versatile and wholesome super food, it is a staple of the Austrian diet.

This website contains facts about the history of Styrian pumpkins, about the health benefits of pumpkin seeds, the fine oil, what to look for in the best quality pumpkin seed oils, the therapeutic uses of pumpkin seed oil, a list for further reading on the subject, and a test selection of recommended recipes.

Our Canadian company, Styrian Gold Inc., imports the oil and seeds directly from one of the oldest and most reputable oil presses in the heart of Styria. We carefully package these products at our facility in Alliston, Ontario making this fantastic, one of a kind oil and amazing seeds available to healthy conscious people through our growing number of health food stores and specialty food stores throughout Canada.

To see a list of retail locations where the oil and seeds are availible: click here

See our complete product list: click here.

Visit us on Facebook: click here

That's the information Sas!

• Rosieo
    Rosieo Member Posts: 200
    Options

Hi Ladies

Can someone tell me how to get ahead of the horrible constipation that comes with treatment.

I had tx on Thurs and on Sat was so bound up I could not get it out. Horrible. If someone call help me to do something so that it dosen't get to this I would appreciate.

Rosieo

• minustwo
    Options

Rosieo - First of all - tell your MO. The doc will give you drugs that won't contradict whatever else you're getting. Then there are WONDERFUL ideas in this thread. Go back & start at page one and skim what everyone has said. Different things work for different people, so many ideas will be valuable. Good luck.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    Options

Okay you guys..... I've read pages and pages of WHAT to do when someone is constipated.... I wrote down about 10 things to do.....

Now Sass, you know I've talked to you about this before, but transferring all of my knowledge, and I have TONS.... AND yours to my DH, is a problem of the ages!

HOW do you make an older stubborn husband (also Italian, which may explain the stubbornness) realize that his PROBlem is something he has to deal with daily? How can you explain that what he is doing, and eating, is contributing to his .... um .... pluggedupness?

He thinks that maybe 2 little bottles of water is enough fluid intake.... not counting the 3-4 daily beers. He can't stand fresh fruits or vegetables... Will MAYbe eat a couple spoon-fulls of canned mixed vegetables or canned fruits. Maybe once in awhile a small, tiny green salad.... (that's the extent of fresh veggies}

He will eat Prunes, or stewed prunes once in awhile, when he gets desperate. He takes Pepto-Bismol for constipation.... (Yes, I know, and I explain it is for diarrhea).... (I just hid that bottle that he had in the bathroom cupboard...... He rely's on those suppositories when he gets desperate...

I MENtioned maybe a stick of dynamite would be more efficient...

His main problem is getting stubborner and older, and rather irate & LOUD when I try & suggest that he may be doing something rather wrong!

So he doesn't take any medications... for anything.....) Maybe 1/2 of a Tylenol PM at bed-time... To help him pretend he sleeps.......)

Our PC told me to tell him to take that Fiber Therapy, and drink lots of Gatorade.... Well he TRIED it, mixed it up, let it set all day, then when it became the consistency of paste, he refused to drink it, and there it sits........ Said it must have been a "bad batch"

I explained it is supposed to do that inSIDE of you... not in the fridge.

I've exhausted all of my resources... and my knowledge..... It is much easier to deal with a 10 year old......... He will not see our PC unless he has an un-forseen emergency ...... for something like "heart-block" where he needed an immediate pace-maker...

So here we are.... same song, second verse.... It oughta get better but it's gonna get worse.... what now?

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Chevy, sympathies, I think it's men in general. Seldom do they listen. I know you have been dealing with this for decades. The stubbornness. He's ripe for a case of diverticulosis b/c of age and constipation history. Don't suppose he has had a scope? Read the section on diverticulosis and diverticulitis on the first or second page. Worst case scenario if he doesn't take steps to fix the constipation, he's setting himself up for a colon blowout. That could lead to a colostomy(temporary or permanent).

Sometimes with people that won't listen, you have to tell them the worst thing that can happen before they listen.

One time with a GI(gastrointestinal ) bleeder who wasn't doing anything two other nurses were telling him. I asked his nurse if she explained how bad this was. She said "I told him he had taken a turn for the worse". Blood everywhere--bed, floor, him, the nurses, the other bed in the room. Blood just dribbling out of his anus. I turned to him and said "Sir, you are going to die if you don't do what they say". He stared at me like that was a revelation. He became the most cooperative patient from that point on. Only did it that way once in 40 years. He was a lawyer. Used to being in charge and getting his way(well known in town).

"I told him he had taken a turn for the worse" and "Sir, you are going to die if you don't do what they say". One very politely correct did not get his attention like the second message.

Chevy consider talking to him about the worst. His colon ruptures and he has to wear a bag.

• Chevyboy
    Options

THANKS Sass ! Yes, I so ever not gently told him all this this morning! I know I shouldn't get mad, but I just do.... I TRY and explain things to him... but this morning he was told DO YOU WANT TO BE LIKE YOUR GRANDPA, AND HAVE A COLOSTOMY? OR LIKE YOUR SIL WHO'S COLON QUIT WORKING, AND SHE HAD OVER 1/2 OF IT REMOVED????

So I got out a plastic box, put the prunes, (soaking in water) a bottle of MO.... the stool softener.... and the Fiber stuff, and it is sitting on the washer. NEXT I will pour it all down his throat.....

I told him "I read how serious this can get!"

He says NOW that he will take care of it every day.... I even cooked some apples, with the skin on, with Agave, and 2 hard cinnamon candies and chopped it... He thinks it tastes GOOD! He would buy baby-food, to get his veggies!

I think he is NOW worried! In other words, I'm done.

I told him there is never any NEED for him to become constipated... No excuse... He is better today! I might have won this battle! Winking

He says he can't eat raw cooked vegetables or fruits..or milk products, including cheese..... He SAYS he gets "gas".... Same with beans, nuts, seeds, etc. In other words.... he eats what he wants.... and not much of that.... sweets, chips, cakes, pies and cookies are what he lives on.... Maybe 1/2 of a sandwich, or 1 baked chicken leg... It isn't because I don't COOK anything.... I'm always making homemade soups, stews, Risotto, and other Rice dishes.... He will eat a small bowl....

So next week, I'll let you know what this intervention has done.... Ha!

Rosieo.... after my surgery, and that anesthetic, I came home, and SAME THING! I took Milk of Magnesia, AND drank prune-juice! My advice to you is either do ONE or the other! Not both, unless you want to spend your whole day in the bathroom! You will get back to normal....

Sass will tell you to cook up a few prunes, and eat those every day.... Drink hot liquids.... preferably not Vodka...

Take good care....!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Oh,Chevy you go girl, erhhh no, husband go boy!.If scaring him is the only way to get him to do what he needs to do and it's works....your job, done it is.(Yoda).

Rosieo I agree with MinusTwo. Let us know if we have to have a meeting of the team.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Chevy, go gently with the fiber. Small amounts increasing slowly over minimum three weeks. A colon not used to fiber can get into an obstruction if the fiber is introduced to fast. Check back on page 24 and look at what I wrote on why prunes, raisins, and apricots work. The fruits in the digestive process through the gut breakdown into sorbitol in the colon. The sorbitol acts as a natural laxative b/c it draws water into the colon.

Of the cereals, Fiber One has the most fiber. If I remember correctly, it has 13 Gms of fiber in a quarter cup. The goal of fiber in the diet is between 25 to 30 Gms of fiber per day. It used to taste like cardboard. The company finally listened and improved it's taste.

When at all possible try for natural food sources, but when the blasting powder is needed you do what you have to do.

• Chevyboy
    Options

Thanks Sass! Okay.... too late on the "go gently with the fiber"..... Last night he said I put a Tablespoon of "that stuff" in the bottle... (8 oz.) And if I don't drink it I will save it for tomorrow"..... I said you can't DO that! Remember when you tried that last time, and it got as thick as jello?

Now I have an "exact" little measuring spoon on top of that bottle... Maybe he will get the idea...Loopy He is very happy with the Prunes, and the magical effects of doing the right thing....The gallon size bottle of Milk of Magnesia is waiting in the wings....Winking

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Chevy you are so funny. Ill send you a funnel :)

• dsgirl
    dsgirl Member Posts: 193
    Options

Good Morning

Just an update on my "C" trial and error journey, (C stands for constipation), I am one of those that need Coffee right away in the morning, and I remember Sassy mentioning in a post that a morning routine needs to include a visit to the bathroom, which was not on my list of things to do in the morning. I drink my first cup of Coffee, start brewing the next cup, (I brew a cup at a time with Melitta filter holder), get my breakfast stuff out, walking to fridge, pantry etc, and before eating anything I go to the bathroom and make myself comfy, and 99% of the time, I GO. What a simple solution. I am usually so hungry I eat breakfast standing by the counter waiting for my first cup to brew, then get busy taking meds, reading the paper, whatever, and that does not work for starting the day and having a BM. By the way,I do eat a protein bar at nite, and it did help my morning hunger, Sassy.

The things that has worked for me are, fiber supplement x2 daily, stool softenerx2 daily, and my new morning coffee routine. Hope this helps someone. I use the chewable fruit flavored supplement tablets, easier for me to get "down". "Oh, what a relief it is."

dsgirl

• sas-schatzi
    Options

...............................................image

disney colorful castle fireworks disneyland

• sas-schatzi
    Options

.........................thechive happy smile party excited ......................

...........................image