Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Options

Comments

• Karmil710
    Karmil710 Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2012
    Options

Good morning NJ/NY/PA Ladies! 

Joan:  I'm so sorry you are wiped out from your last tx.  Yup, it is cumulative.  But it's doing it's job...  A friend recently shared some tips from her onc nutritionist- one tip was to go easy on the protein- our bodies are still metabolizing the chemo and can not handle too much.

Orangemat:  Run, girl, run!  Good for you, doing a 1/2 marathon!  I'm 2 months PFC (TC x4) and yesterday I added a LITTLE jogging during my fitness walk.  Today my knees are KILLING me!!!!  I'm not sure if my joints are gonna let me get back to my usual routine.

CharB22:  Have fun at baseball's openning day with your sons!  My town used to have an openning day parade with all the kids marching in it, ending in a big carnival!  What chaos, what FUN!!!  Have a blast, rest when you need to, and bring lots of hand sanitizer!!!! 

Gayle56:  Congrats on the hair regrowth!  My TCx4 txs ended on 2/6- my hair is filling in fast.  It's probably about 1/2 an inch long, more black than greyLaughing.  I'm thinking of going topless by late spring!  Eyelashes are stubby little things, but are back- yay!  And eyebrows are not so sparse anymore! 

Peacock:  I too shopped the NYC docs, and ended up doing all my surgeries & txs in NJ, at Overlook Hospital.  Like you said, they were basically offering the same things, just farther away.  It's so fortunate that BC has a standard of care that is easily followed, for the most part. 

Reesie:  Good for you being at The Relay For Life!  Go girl!  Enjoy the beautiful day!

Take care everyone,

Karmil

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited April 2012
    Options

Karmil - go easy on the protein?  Oh no, it was protein that I am concentrating on!  Not too much, mind you - just an egg and cheese in the morning when I might have had a bagel. 

• CharB22
    CharB22 Member Posts: 87
    edited April 2012
    Options
    JoanQuilts - my tumor was 1.2 cm and I had a lumpectomy. Not sure why you got T/C - is that Taxol?
  • JoanQuilts
    edited April 2012
    Options

Char - it's Taxotere.  I know that different doctors have different preferences - that's the only way I can explain it.

• Neeners815
    Neeners815 Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi everyone!  I live in Jersey City :)  Wednesday I have my lumpectomy.  My original diagnosis is DCIS grade 3, so I'm hoping that nothing changes after the final PATH report and the two other biopsies that I'm having during my lumpectomy.  The plan right now is a lumpectomy, rads, then drugs for 5 years.  

• JoanQuilts
    edited April 2012
    Options

Welcome Neeners!  I am wishing you NO SURPRISES during your lumpectomy.  Where are you being treated?

• Neeners815
    edited April 2012
    Options

I am being treated at Montclair Breast Center.  They have been really great.  My surgery in the same building as their office and the MRI imaging area :)

• DocBabs
    DocBabs Member Posts: 54
    edited April 2012
    Options

If ever there was a forum where I fit in , this is it!! I was born in Peckville Pa spent my early years in Olyphant, grew up on Long Island, went to school and lived in NYC during the 60s and 70s, then moved to Tenafly New Jersey mid 70s. I see someone here posted from Moscow. I have relatives still in Gouldsboro and in Olyphant, Dickson City and the surrounding area. I had my surgery T NYU only because my husband works there and knows everyone. I went for my PT at Hackensack Hospital. Terrific department.I'm an avid tennis player, 4-5 days a week but I will be running (walking) in my first ever 5k Dirty Girl Mud Run in Scranton PS on May 5th. Anyone going to be around there my team is called Hope For The Breast!Stop by and say HI.

Barbara

• DocBabs
    DocBabs Member Posts: 54
    edited April 2012
    Options

Alexandria, forgot to metion that I'm in for a get together. It's great meeting new friends!!

barbara

• Karmil710
    edited April 2012
    Options

It's such a beautiful day in NJ today, & I'm down with an ear infection and bronchitis.  I started abx on Saturday, yuck.  Maybe I'll sit outside for a while to get some vitamin D the natural way:-).   I'm finding it hard to stay healthy these days, even thought I'm almost 2 months PFC and my wbc's are normal.  Hmmmm...

Joan:  I'm sure eggs and cheese in the morning are fine.  Ask your MO at your next tx for more info.

Welcome new NJ/NY girls, Neeners and Docbabs. 

Take care all,

Karmil

• Karmil710
    edited April 2012
    Options

Neeners:  I was at the Montclair Breast Center for a BRCA(+) support group a few weeks ago.  That place was amazing!  They had everything on site from MRIs to surgical areas.  When I was there on a Sunday I noticed a Dr seeing a rather distressed woman and her husband for an office visit...on a SUNDAY!  Now that's a caring Dr!!

Karmil

• JoanQuilts
    edited April 2012
    Options

Feel better Karmil.  Probably the ear infection/bronchitis have nothing to do with your previous treatment, which is a GOOD thing - it means you're getting back to "normal sick," LOL!

Did any of you Morristowners see Drs. Gendler and Glatt on News Channel 12's For Your Health over the weekend?  They were talking about breast cancer and reconstruction.  

• Neeners815
    edited April 2012
    Options

karmil - thanks for the welcome and I hope you feel better soon!  As far as Montclair Breast Center - the people are amazing.  The surgeon has actually given me her cell number; she's the one who has been through BC herself.  I'm very nervous about my lumpectomy on Wednesday.  I feel like I need a good cry to get rid of some of the stress, if that makes any sense. 

• Karmil710
    edited April 2012
    Options

Neeners: 
    Good luck on Weds!  That's the toughest part- waiting.  Waiting for the surgery, waiting for the results afterwards... but then you make a plan, and it's not so scary anymore.

You're in good hands at the Montclair Breast Center.  I didn't realize your BS had BC.  Mine did also. (Dr. DiGioia at Overlook Hosp.  BC is WAY too common.)  I think having been BC pts themselves, they are  more in tune with what we are going through.  Also to add stuff to your profile, go ontp MY HOME, hit "edit profile".  Put in what you can there, then for extra info, put it under your signature. ("edit signature") 

Joan, I hope I'm just "normal sick"  I'm def not "chemo sick" sick, but feel cr@ppy.   My temp is still 99.2, and I have a headache, earache,  cough, and sinuses so stuffed I can't really even blow my nose.  And it's day 3 of abx. Yuck!   I wish I saw the Morristown docs on channel 12 over the weekend.  They are not "my" docs, but would've been interesting, I'm sure.

Enjoy this hot day,

Karmil

• suebak
    suebak Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi all-  also live in Delaware County, Pa.  Being treated at Univ of Penn Cancer Center.  Looks as if Janet and I have the same surgeon.  Dr Brian Czerniecki is my SO, Kevin Fox is my MO.  So far, so good with my treatment plan.  Just went for my first mamo since diagnosis, and they scared the hell out of me.  Took more pics of left breast (the good one), more pics, then ultrasound.  Thankfully, the radiologist gave me the thumbs up.  I guess they were being very causious, which is fine with me.  I do believe my cancer had been missed for some time before being diagnosed.  I too, would love to meet some of the woman on this site.  I don't know how I would have survived with this site, the woman on here helped keep my sanity.

Susan

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of doing a race in Bloomfield, NJ on April 28, at Brookdale Park. Anyone here close to that area? It's at 10am, a 5k for both runners and walkers, so maybe whoever is close to the area would want to come out and meet up? I'll be the short redhead, not too slow but not too fast, with the goofy big smile. :)

• barbiecorn
    barbiecorn Member Posts: 86
    edited April 2012
    Options

Just wanted to say hi...I am from Clark, NJ - very close to Edison, NJ!!!!!

• chef127
    chef127 Member Posts: 226
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi orangmat,

I love Brookdale Park. I haven't been there in 30 years. My GF's and I would go there just to hang out, meet up w our Clifton friends and enjoy the sun and the beuaty of the park. I'm not from the area but pretty close. I used to love to run but I lost the ability to put one foot in front of the other at a fast pace.Bummer. I would love to see you run and see Brookdal Park again, I only wish I could join the race. If I make it I will look for that goofy smile and red hair.Smile and say HI.

I'lll be the one with the lopsided chest.

Maureen

• orangemat
    edited April 2012
    Options

Maureen, the 5k is for walkers too! I just signed up this morning, here's the website for it.

And here I am from my half marathon this past Sunday, in all my goofy glory!

• Karmil710
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thanks for the invite, Orangemat!  Unfortunately, I'll be visiting my son in Maryland that weekend.  Let us know where you'll be running next!

Hey Barbiecorn, I share exit 135 with you!  I got my wig at Wigs Naturally- Love the wig, love the wig place.  Did you stay local for treatment?

Suebak: I'm glad everything turned out OK after your mammo!

Take care,

Karmil

• orangemat
    edited April 2012
    Options

Karmil, is your son in college in Maryland? My son is a sophomore at UMD. And my daughter will be starting at Colgate in the fall, 4 hours in the opposite direction!

• Karmil710
    edited April 2012
    Options

Orangemat:  Yes, my son is a freshman at UofMd, College Park!  He is organizing a run to fight BC that weekend!   It's on Sunday, the 29th, and me and my whole family will be there running/walking.  I'm so excited for this!  I have a HS Jr also- he loves cold weather and is interested in going north for college, like your daughter!  (I also have a 10 yr old daughter, she rates colleges by how good the food is- she's been on too many college tours- Lol!)

• orangemat
    edited April 2012
    Options

Karmil, how funny is that! I knew it was a long shot, but I had to ask.... that run your son is organizing sounds great! My children have no interest whatsoever in running, but they are supportive (enough) of me and my efforts. My daughter came with my husband to my race on Sunday morning, which says a lot, since they left the house at 7:15am on a weekend!

• kayakgirl
    kayakgirl Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi

I live in Bucks County PA which is right across the river and slightly north of Trenton New Jersey. The breast surgeon I go to is Stacie Krishner.. She is one of the three women doctors that are the Comprehensive Breast Care Surgeons. Doctor Beth Dupree is the senior member of this group and she is a fantastic breast cancer advocate. However all three are very skilled up-to- date surgeons. Dr. Dupree founded the Healing Consciousness Foundatation for the groups patients to be able to receive holistic care while under treatment. My plastic surgeon is Bill Scarlett. Both Dr. Krishner and Sacarlett are local to the Bucks County Area. For follow up my medical oncologist is Dr. Kevin Fox at HUP U of Penn.

• kayakgirl
    kayakgirl Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2012
    Options

I live in Bucks County,PA which is right across the river and slightly north of Trenton New Jersey. The breast surgeon I go to is Stacie Krishner.. She is one of the three women doctors that are the Comprehensive Breast Care Surgeons. Doctor Beth Dupree is the senior member of this group and she is a fantastic breast cancer advocate. However all three are very skilled up-to- date surgeons. Dr. Dupree founded the Healing Consciousness Foundatation for the groups patients to be able to receive holistic care while under treatment. My plastic surgeon is Bill Scarlett. Both Dr. Krishner and Sacarlett are local to the Bucks County Area. For follow up my medical oncologist is Dr. Kevin Fox at HUP U of Penn.

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi Kayakgirl - I see your MO is Dr Fox from HUP.  He is an excellent doctor I hear.  All of my BC docs are at HUP.  I see one of his associates, Dr.Keerthi Gogineni.  She is relatively new to HUP. Wonderful oncologist!  Did you have chemo at HUP?  I hated chemo, but loved the nurses!

• JoanQuilts
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hey Jersey/PA/NY gals:  today is my last day of internship at Morristown Medical Center.  It has been a wonderful experience working with cancer patients, but quite a challenge too, as I dealt with my own illness.

5 out of 6 chemos DONE.  I am leaving for a girlfriend's week in Naples, FL this Friday, followed two weeks later by a 4-day weekend with my DH in the Bahamas.  We had planned that weekend way before bc reared its ugly head.  With my onc's blessing, I have delayed my last chemo by about 6 days so that I am not leaving for the Bahamas on the heels of chemo and I can feel well and enjoy myself.  The exhaustion has been overwhelming these last two treatments.  

May 17th is the date I am looking forward to.  Then a week of being tired and then hopefully I can start coming out of this funk.

I hope you all have a great day.  Thanks for letting me unload!

Joan

• Neeners815
    edited April 2012
    Options

Joan - have a WONDERFUL time in Naples!  And then the BAHAMAS!  How awesome.  Only one more to go.  You need to have a big party then!

Today I went for my post-op appointment at Montclair Breast Center.  I HIGHLY suggest these smart, careful, CARING women.  Loved all of them. 

• Gayle56
    Gayle56 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2012
    Options

Safe travels Joan.  I am sure you will have a great time.

Gayle

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hello, have any of you ladies gone to one cancer center for part of your care and another center for other parts of your care? I had bmx, chemo and exchange surgery at fox chase. Im still getting herceptin and have nipple/tatoos yet to be done. Im asking this question because I really don't like the fellow they have me see for my oncology follow up visits. When I finish herceptin in the fall, I want to find another oncologist but keep the breast surgeon and plastic surgeon at fox. Would this confuse things or be really unusual?