Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Options

Comments

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591
    edited June 2012
    Options

Joan, I ordered nioxin system thru amazon and have gone thru 2 since finishing chemo in february. I also use the nioxin follicle booster, which was really pricey. Im not sure the nioxin is helping - I might have just as much hair without it, as im doing so many things to stimulate growth - vitamins, folic acid, biotin, biosil, high protein diet, olive oil scalp massage. I think when I run out if nioxin this time, ill see how I do without it before buying more. I am 19 weeks pfc & have about 2 & 3/4 inches sides and back but shorter on top. I had my husband measure it! Eventually, I will have to get it shaped, but for now am still wearing wig.

• Myna
    Myna Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I am a 48 yo female who has been a reader of these boards since January when I was first diagnosed with DCIS via stereotactic bx.  I finally got up enough courage to post here.  I am currently undergoing rads treatment (5 treatmts done, 29 to go).

I am located in northern NJ and was happy to see posters from this the NE.  I also wanted to provide some data on the doctors I used for my surgery and med/rads to assist anyone who is looking for feedback, as requested in this posting area.

I had been seeing Dr. Laura Klein from the Valley Hospital Group (Paramus, Lukow Pavillion) since I had a previous needle bx (another MD) that showed atypia, so she was watching me for any issues since 2009.  In Dec, 2011, I had a mammogram that showed clustered microcalifications in the left breast that required a biopsy.  So a stereotactic bx was done through a radiologist.  Told I had DCIS in January.  Since I felt comfortable with Dr. Klein, she did my surgery.  She did excellent work on my lumpectomy.  She is a oncoplastic surgeon who is specially trained for breast cancer surgery beyond the normal training.

My surgeon was most concerned about treating the cancer AND doing the least surgery that could safely be done.  I really appreciate her caring for me and trying to preserve my breast as it was possible medically.

I would be willing to share more info with anyone looking for a surgeon.

I wish you all the best as you fight this disease.  It has not been much fun so far.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012
    Options

I think Costco sells Nioxin.

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I think I am going to skip the Nioxin and just sing to my hair.  Tongue out
  • proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited June 2012
    Options

Joan, have not heard of singing to your hair but if it works go for it!  then again, my singing would scare the hair away~~

sort of think this is something were patience is best, will think....growing thoughts for you

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

I know, Iris, patience.  I've been through this before.  Like watching a pot and waiting for it to boil.  I am more mature (i.e., I care less about what others think) than I was 19 years ago and rather than waiting for a full head of hair, I am sure I will ditch the wig/hat/scarf when I have a "fashionably" short head of hair!

• njbhwgirl
    njbhwgirl Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2012
    Options

Personally I don' think anything makes it grow faster.. Don't waste your money.. 6 months after last treatment I had a head of curls on my head. THe best money I ever spent was go to a salon and get a keratin treatment. I gained about 4 inches of hair and had bangs.. I was ecstatic!!!! I ditched the wig and was able to feel the breeze in my hair.. I swear by this!

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

What's a keratin treatment and how can it give you 4 inches of hair???

• njbhwgirl
    edited June 2012
    Options

call Salon G on old post road.. the owner their is a cancer survior.. The keratin relaxes the hair that you have and it makes it longer. She knows which keratin to use. I swear by it... The normal charge is $300 but she only charged me $175...It was worth every penny..

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

Good to know - thanks!  Right now I have NO hair so I have time to save up!  :)

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited June 2012
    Options

Joan, go with the singing. :)

Myna, my BS was Dr Klein as well. Loved her. Thankfully I don't have to see her more than once every six months now, but still, I loved her.

Carry on.... 

• njbhwgirl
    edited June 2012
    Options

Joan: 6 months and you will have hair to your ear with Keratin. Mine came in really really kinky, curly.  My treatments stopped In August and I got my first treatment for hair in February. Yes. good to save up for!..Are you done with treatments?

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591
    edited June 2012
    Options

Njbhwgirl, I don't live near the salon you mentioned. Do you know the name/type of keratin treatment you got? I know some of them are pretty harsh, but id like to do it if there is a treatment that's not to hard on the hair. Thanks!

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

I had my last chemo 4 1/2 weeks ago.  I am afraid that my hair will not grow back at all since it was already thinning when the chemo started (male pattern baldness) - just my luck that I would be among 3% whose hair doesn't grow back after Taxotere.

Now when I had chemo 19 years ago I grew back some beautiful, thick, curly hair - I'm hoping for a repeat.

• proudtospin
    edited June 2012
    Options

Joan, does your hairdresser offer any suggestions?  Will ask mine next time I visit as she is pretty good at working with folks with issues although, mostly coloring problems where folks have done bad things at home and need things back to normal.

• njbhwgirl
    edited June 2012
    Options

shore1: sorry I don't remember but I will ask the salon if you want me to. I know the treatment I got was good for us  because the owner had it done every 3-4 mos herself.

Joan: god bless you going thru this 2x... I hope your hair comes back full and thick..  Mine came back the same way it was prior to chemo. The only difference was it is totally gray. No regular dye would remove it. A beautician told me I had to go to Sally Hanson and get magic grey drops and mix with peroxide and color to eliminate gray. This is the only thing that has worked for me since my hair came back. One and 3/4 years out and I am ready for my 3rd haircut...I hate getting it cut.. I still have shivers....For me losing my hair was the worst part of everything I went through. I know I am vain, but how I feel

• taismommy
    taismommy Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi all

I am very new to this site and BC :( . I was DX May 14, 2012 saw the surgeon May 15, 2012 and every other doctor in the world since then.

Anyway being from the Bronx, NY i am looking for a good oncologist. My BS is Dr Nella Shapiro and she is awesome, PS is Dr Heather Erhard she is also wonderful! lol ,..My surgery(double mastectomy) is this coming Friday but I still dont have an oncologist. My PS sent me to one but I didnt care for him, he seemed very distracted to me.

Any recommendations??? Why did i wait so long????

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi Taismommy - thanks for stopping by.  Don't worry - I didn't have an oncologist either until after my surgery.  What hospital are your BS and PS affiliated with? 

The first time I had bc (19 years ago) I was treated at Mt. Sinai but my oncologist is no longer affiliated with the hospital.  I am sure someone else will chime in with a suggestion.

Wishing you the best for your surgery!  Let us know how it goes.

Joan

• Gayle56
    Gayle56 Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2012
    Options

I am a Bronx gal too. I am using Dr. Puccio in Yonkers. Best of luck on Friday.

Gayle

• Karmil710
    Karmil710 Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2012
    Options

Come to think of it, I didn't have an oncologist until after my BMX either.  Have you asked your PCP?

Sorry I can't help much, I'm a Jersey girl.

Karmil

• taismommy
    edited June 2012
    Options

@Joan, My doctors are affiliated with Albert Einstein hospital in the Bx. Thanks for the well wishes

@Gayle, I will check to see if Dr Puccio takes my insurance. How do you feel about him? his practice? where in Yonkers?

@Karmil, my PCP is no help but I will ask my BS.

Thanks ladies

• Gayle56
    Gayle56 Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2012
    Options

Puccio is part of a group called Westchester Oncology.  His office in Yonkers is across from St. Johns Hospital - 984 North Broadway - Their number is 914-6206600.  My surgeon was Dr. Andrew Ashikari who has his own Breast Center connected to Dobbs Ferry Hospital.  Puccio's office is very helpful and he spent a lot of time with me in his office and also on the phone.  I never felt rushed.  He was recommended by my surgeon.

Gayle

• taismommy
    edited June 2012
    Options

@Gayle, thank you!!

• Chocolaterocks
    Chocolaterocks Member Posts: 94
    edited June 2012
    Options

My surgeon was also Dr. Ashikari from Dobbs Ferry- he really does great work- so I would imagine that his recommendations are really for highly qualified individuals who are tops. I drive hours for Dr. A...

good luck.

Chocolate

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited June 2012
    Options

I can't believe I'm only discovering this thread now. Another great group of women to keep up with, and lots of familiar faces. I'm in Central NJ, but I'm originally from CT (Ffld county) if anyone else is from there.

• njbhwgirl
    edited June 2012
    Options

taismommy: Good Luck on upcoming surgery. I don't think you get a onc. until after surgery so don't worry you have some time. I am not sure if you require chemo or not but if you do  and are looking into doing the cold caps, I believe there is a hospital in NYC that has the freezers for them. Look on the cold caps posts and you will get mucho help there. My onc. was from Memorial Sloane Kettering but I used their satellite office in NJ.

Please keep us posted !

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

Gosh ladies of this group -

I've always been a "big" little girl and have NEVER gone without a bra.  I tried it once after my BMX in the winter and didn't feel comfortable - too cold.  But today, in this terrible NJ heat I am going "au naturel" and I must admit it feels very comfortable!  This may JUST work out this summer - LOL!  (And who else can I feel comfortable discussing this with but with you.....?)

• proudtospin
    edited June 2012
    Options

Joan, I actually enjoyed the braless look during radiation, of course it was winter and I did wear lots of bulky sweaters but it was very...freeing!  (I am double d~~)

figured it was my little perk

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited June 2012
    Options

"little perk", ha! Laughing

Sorry, couldn't resist the bad pun... ok, slipping quietly back out now...

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited June 2012
    Options

I too missed this thread......and it looks like the NJ ladies are comin out in full force.

Nice to see all of you....Hope the in person one comes soon.