Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Options

Comments

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited May 2012
    Options
    scaredycatwoman, who was your surgeon at Cornell/Weil? I believe that's where I went for my second opinion. I got the same info but wasn't all that thrilled with the doctor, but for the life of me I can't remember his name. It's barely over a year ago, but all that time seems to be a blur now... guess I was in shock....
  • Snoopsmom
    Snoopsmom Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hey, BeeGee.....I go to Morgan Cancer Center too! I live in Macungie so it's only a few minutes' drive away. Who did you have for rads? My RO was Dr. Alyson McIntosh. As you said, they all coordinate their treaments and everything is in one place which makes it very easy. I'm glad to see another Lehigh Valley gal here.

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited May 2012
    Options

Scaredycat:  I am so sorry you're having so much trouble getting a consensus.  Can you tell us more about your diagnosis - there's no information in your signature line - so that those of us with similar diagnoses may be able to share our experiences?

Take a deep breath - you'll get through this.

Joan

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited May 2012
    Options

I have an MO at Hackensack (McNamara) and I love her.  But I did not need chemo so perhaps not helpful to you. I think I know your frustration as I did see 2 dif oncos and 2 dif radiation centers first.

I am very happy with McNamara, my RO was Loren Godfry and I was also happy with him.  Basically happy with the Hospital if that means anything to you

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2012
    Options

scaredycatwoman... It is common knowedge that "A" Adriamycin is hard on the heart.. MSK is big on using "A" for everyone. They are a top center, but my MO who used to work for them said that they make decisions that are in line with MSK and not necessarily best for the patient... TCH is newer and very popular. Adriamycin is the most potent drug, but depending on your diagnosis may be overkill.

• beegee
    beegee Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2012
    Options

Snoopsmom, I grew up in Macungie.  You know where Dries Bldg Supply is?  The house of my childhood was where Dries is now.  Anyway, my RO is Dr. Blauth (sp?).  

Scardeycatwoman, I'm sorry that you are going through this difficult decision making process with such conflicting recommendations from all the doctors.  And I see where you're coming from with thinking you're using up valuable time trying to get different opinions.  It would be good if even two of them matched!  I had adriamycin in my first treatment along with cytoxin and taxotere.  When I got a new oncologist, he took out the adriamycin and lowered the dose of the other two.  I was glad that he took out the adriamycin b/c of the toxicity to the heart that I had heard about.  Overall, my response was near complete, but I wonder if that first dose of adriamycin was what did the trick.  I'm praying for you, and am confident that you will make the best decision for you.

• Karmil710
    Karmil710 Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2012
    Options

Scaredycatwoman:  I also went to Dr. Moore at NYH.  She also recommended ACT for me.  I too, was scared of the cardiac complications from Adriamycin. 

I ended up using Dr. Bonnie Guerin at Overlook Hospital.  To me, Dr. Guerin was the voice of reason.  She was my 3rd MO opinion.  I shared what the other oncologists recommended with her, and she worked with me to come up with a chemo plan that would be effective, yet not have such potent side-effects.  (I was node (-), so opted for T/C.) 

I think you are smart for not doing a course of treatment that doesn't feel "right" to you.

Good Luck!

Karmil 

• candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi, I am an "oldie" but I had everything done at St Barnabas in Livingston. Any questions? feel free to ask. I have my 6 year cancerversary tomorrow!

scaredycatwoman, has any decisions been made?

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591
    edited May 2012
    Options

Just chiming in - I had AC x 4 & taxol with herceptin x 12 weekly. Herceptin is continuing every 3 weeks for a year from when it started. I've thought very little about cardiotoxicity even tho I know its a risk - Im so much more scared of BC than anything else, so for me, im glad I had aggressive chemo. Scardycatwoman, I hope you reach a treatment decision you feel confident in.

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hello to ALL....I have used this site many times through my BC......I was diagnosed in 2008 and told by the radiologist in Millburn that this was cancer...of course I looked for a Breast Doctor......at that time I had moved to the Shore...but came to St. Barnabas in Livingston.....had a needle biopsy that was benign...but my mamogram had been a level 5 ..... the radiologist wanted me to go for a MRI.....but the breast Doctor kept saying it was NOT cancer....needless to say the following year my husband and I came to the conclusion she was not on things....so I shopped for another Doctor and this time wanted to stay close to home.....so I want to Dr. Mark Schwartz located in Oakhurst and Brick  after going for a Mamo at Ocean Medical Center.....between the Radilogist and the Doctor they were convinced that I needed a Excisional Biopsy....that did yield the answer....it was Cancer.....after that the Doctor wanted me to do a MRI which showed four large spots...in Dec of 2010 I had a mastectomy at Ocean Medical Center.....all went well and the margins were real clear....my oncologist was Dr.William Lerner and I did not have to do treatment....I was still at stage 0 the breast was removed because the four spots could go invasive......I did have a Total hysterectomy last May it was robotic by a gynocologist oncologist....my cancer was Er+ pro+ I have to say it took a LONG time to get over the Doctor at St. Barnabas....I am now emotionally healed.

• proudtospin
    edited June 2012
    Options

Sandcastle, glad you eventually found docs that you were comfortable with.  Guess I was lucky, I ended up in Susan McManus office after my mamo showed nasty stuff.  She was good, although she thought it was something that would not need surgery or rads, after the first lumpie, I needed 2 more to get clear margins.  Did the rads and have been clear since.  I confess that Monday is my 4 year from diagnosis mamo and you better believe I am nervous.

Tommorrow I do my "pre-mamo-spa day" which has been doctor approved!  Massage, facial and gym to calm me down.

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

It gets better Iris (? - Proud to Spin).  Although I was diagnosed with a second primary breast cancer 19 years after the first, I stopped getting nervous before my mammo/sono a number of years ago.  Time really does help to heal this wound.

• proudtospin
    edited June 2012
    Options

Joan, I confess that I am less nervous now than the first year but still figure no reason to push it!  What are vacation days for if not to use them.  You have an amazing story and glad to see you are hanging in, hope to see you this Sunday?  I forget now who is coming but looking forward to another get together.

yeap, name is Iris!  Mom did like flowers lots

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

Ugh, Iris, an "amazing" story, LOL?  I only wish it had been panned after Breast Cancer - Part 1, with no repeat performance requested!

Is tomorrow the get-together already?  Sorry, I won't be there.  Next time maybe?  :)

• proudtospin
    edited June 2012
    Options

no the getogether is a week from now, I just seem to have a bunch of things on my plate and trying to stay organized

house bound today while I wait on a delivery person who is due between 9 & 1......11.30 now....bored, I would rather be out and about!

• sandcastle
    edited June 2012
    Options

Bump!

• sandcastle
    edited June 2012
    Options

Just a Playful bump to the top!

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

Thanks Sandcastle!  Looking forward to a beautiful Jersey weekend  - baseball playoffs (my son), maybe the community pool and growing my hair back!

• njbhwgirl
    njbhwgirl Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2012
    Options

Joan: 

Thanks for starting this thread and I am so happy that your treatments are done.  It is such a pivotal moment.  I read each and everyone's post.  I am also from Edison.. I am from south side. and you????

Okay here is my story:  I was diagnosed in Feb. 2010.  I originally went to Dr. McManus and I hate to say this but she was dead wrong.. She misdiagnosed me.

My mammo showed something suspicious in both my left and right breast. The radiologist told me definitely check out the left but the right was just fatty tissue. I went to Dr. McManus because she treated my sister who had DCIS twice and thought it would be a good thing to have a doctor who already had treated a family member. I remember the day vividly when she said I was an easy read.. My breasts were not dense and that she concurred with the radiologist. She felt I had pre cancer - stage zero  in my left breast with no node involvement and the right breast was  just fatty tissue.  I can still see her putting up my images and showing me each breat. She sent me for a biopsy of LEFT BREAST only. Two days later she said sorry it is stage I and no worries we will just do lumpectomy and possibly radiation. She said 100% there was no node involvement.

Okay I was all set for March 3rd to do the lumpectomy and somehow my cousin convinced me to get 2nd opinion. I conceded and went to MSK in NYC. The first thing the surgeon, Tari King said to me is that she would be remiss if she did not biopsy my right breast. The reason she said this was because my mom, 2 aunts and 2 sisters all had breast cancer.  Dr. McManus knew this and still did not feel the necessity to order a biopsy. This  is where I hold her responsible. She knew my family history and still did not think to do a biopsy of my right breast.

Well,, biopsy later, the right breast had cancer and I could not save it because cancer was in 2 quandrants.  I had double masectomy and yes there was node involvement.. 1 node... I was stunned as was the surgeon. Dr. King also said she thought 80% chance of no node involvement.

I had chemo at MSK in basking ridge with Dr. Attieh-Graham and had reconstruction surgery at MSK with Dr. Joseph Disa.  Was I happy?  Yes because they diagnosed me correctly? Do I think they are the best all around the tri-state area? NO...I think they are cookie cutter and will not go outside the box and agree with other posters that you get the same treatment as the next person..but they possibly saved my life so I have to stick with them.

I did get nipple reconstruction and I went to fantastic tatoo artist in Baltimore,MD who gave me life like aerolas.  Okay so at 57 yrs old I got my first tats.. WHOO HOO

okay that is my speel and I am just happy to find mY JERSEY GIRLS

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012
    Options

I went to Dr McManus... she also told me no node involvement, even after surgery, but a week later pathology showed one node.. I do think this is fairly common, so I don't blame her for that... One thing that did happen with me is that she wanted a MRI before doing my lumpectomy and after the MRI showed some suspicious areas, we had them biopsied and she said they were nothing... so I went forward with the lumpectomy. LATER I found that one of those suspicious things was a pappilloma and the radiologist recommended it be removed, and "if the patient refused, to have close monitoring".. well, the patient (me) wasn't even told... so that irritated me and was one of the contributing reasons I opted for BMX.

• sandcastle
    edited June 2012
    Options

OMG!! It should open a persons eyes to hear of Doctors who have not seen what the big picture was.....that is what happened to me at St. Barnabas in Livingston...a Doctor for two years said it was NOTHING....even though I had a level 5 mamogram and Ultrasound....needle biopsy benign......she should of taken me to the next level...she never did get along with the radilogy dept.  a person who hated to be challanged...GLAD we finally moved on.....Liz

• sandcastle
    edited June 2012
    Options

I am going to bump this up....I really like to hear what hospitals and Doctor's everyone uses.....thanks Liz

• proudtospin
    edited June 2012
    Options

I use Mcmanus as BS who is at St Peters these days but went to Hackensack for my rads and onco, Loren Godrey as radiation and Donna MacNamara for onco

(slightly confusing on the names for one with a foggy brain like me~~

really like the setup at Hackensack and the office staff is great at calling back on stuff!

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,027
    edited June 2012
    Options

Had a good experience with Dr. Mc Manus at St. Peters and really like my Onc Dr. Salwitz at Central Jersey Oncology and my Rad Onc Dr. Baumann at Princeton Hosp.

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

Does anyone know where to get Nioxin shampoo at a good price locally (as you can see from my avatar, I need it!).  One lady on the Hair, Hair, Hair thread said Bed, Bath and Beyond but I think it may be hit or miss.

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,027
    edited June 2012
    Options

Joan, I just checked online.  Walgreen's carries it.

• proudtospin
    edited June 2012
    Options

you should be able to search it on line as well, think maybe Harmons might be a good bet

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

I know - I can find it, it's just so darned expensive.  I was hoping to find it at a discount store somewhere.  Is it even worth the price?

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited June 2012
    Options

If Bed Bath & Beyond has it, you can always use those great 20% off coupons that never expire...

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hey you're so right Esther!  But first I want to make sure it'll turn me into Goldilocks, before I plunk down my $20+ minus 20%.  :)