Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• boobookitty
    boobookitty Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2013

Victoria, 

I wear a glove on my right hand, I am not sure if it is considered medium.  It is a medivan 95 111 CCL 1 760.  It is off the shelf. 

• dassi52
    dassi52 Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2013

Nice idea, Victoria. Sorry for misunderstanding, and no, I have size small.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited May 2013

NEED ADVICE!!   What to say to people who ask and how not to get violent?

Spring FINALLY broke here in Ohio.  First day out with bandages and shorter sleeves and first year with LE.  Conversation with teller at bank who knew I had BC and I've known for several years:

Teller Debbie:   what happened to your arm?

Me:  I have Lymphedema, a gift of breast cancer.

Teller:  Well, it sure beats the alternative.  (I feel the anger building)

Me:  I have to remind myself of that because it is for the rest of my life.

Teller Debbie:  Well, at least you have a life...

I darn near went over the counter at her, but she had my money in her hand.

During the winter I got asked a couple of times - one time I said I got bit by a dog,

other time - hurt my arm.  But tired of that...how do you all respond?  HELP!!

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited May 2013

Teller: Well, it sure beats the alternative.

Grrrr!

I would have said:  " Which alternative ?  Not getting BC or not getting LE?!"

I was out walking on a college campus yesterday and someone  said : " Cool sleeve ...what for ?"

I said " Thanks- nothing you would want, I'm sure." I smiled and strolled on.

I know other laides will feel differently , but unlesss someone ask me " Is that LE?  and I think its because they have that concern, I am not  here to be gawked at or tell all my biz.  Thats why there are HIPPA laws.  I will be selective in what/who I *choose* to tell.

In the case of the bank teller, I see her as totally rude, and the " education" I would like to give rude people is to be careful who they ask because they just might get a rude response  BACK.

• dassi52
    edited May 2013

On one of the posts, here on in another forum, someone came up with the answer "shark bite" which I really love. That'll leave those rude people openmouthed!

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited May 2013

I just love Shark Bite and it works because shark bites really do happen and it sounds so mysterious and capitvating. You would be able to just see their brain twirling when you say it. I can't remember but I think I used that one before.

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited May 2013

Why do we feel we have to continue to be polite when people continue to be stupid?

• purple32
    edited May 2013

My sentiments precisely, beatmon

• denise-g
    edited May 2013

Awww, thanks for all the great advice!  Love the shark bite! HA HA HA!!!

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited May 2013

I'm one of those who thinks these are often great opportunities to educate. I feel indebted to those women before us who made BC a subject that could be discussed instead of whispered about, as though it was shameful, by speaking out about it. And I'm convinced that the only way to make LE less humiliating for all of us is to be candid.

I love the joking answers (my favorite is "Trapeze accident") and I use them at times, but after the laugh I unload as much information as I can before their eyes glaze over and they retreat into end-stage boredom. If I'm mad at them for saying something stupid, their squirming boredom is my revengeWink. But more often than not I get, "I never even heard of that!" amazement. They won't forget it, that's for sure.

I'm not advocating that everyone goes around spouting LE--we're not always up for it, and some women never are. That's understandable, and it's fine. But I do advocate that we work hard at never feeling humiliated by our garments and the public's ignorance about it. I sure didn't know anything about it before my first "swell" experience, and there are plenty of times when I still can't believe what a SECRET this rotten condition is.

Denise, that teller really threw some crummy lines at you, and I'm so sorry. I can feel your rage! I thought your line about this being for the rest of your life was simply perfect. You could have just repeated it, louder, until she got the point. People just don't know what to say.

Hoping you're feeling a bit better this evening, Denise. Chocolate helps!
    And hugs,
    Binney

• purple32
    edited May 2013

But I do advocate that we work hard at never feeling humiliated by our garments

That's a great goal to work toward Binney. I agree completely, and admit that it's been  a struggle for me.

I have to say though, I am still nowhere near the point that I care to educate the kind of person who has an exhange that the teller  had with Denise. I have 100 leaflets from the LE TX ACT that I plan to distribute in Boston.  I feel that is much more educational. I just honestly believe , with all my heart that a person ( such as the teller) is not needing or seeking an education- they are being  a jerk, and invite any kind of a response they may get...the kind of a response they really wont forget!  Perhaps I am caught in the angry stage ? ( I dunno')  In any case, I feel the anger is justified when someone is a jerk.

Do we have to react with anger ?  Not always, but sometimes, to deny our feelings is to deny ourselves.

We're all different, and it can be looked at in different ways.

There is nobody I respect more than you when it comes to the topic of LE , but I refuse to attempt to 'edify' someone at the expense of my dignity, and that's just how it/I would feel. 

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited May 2013

I guess I agree with both of the above comments.  I have LE but it has not swelled to the point that anyone sees it but me.  Course if I misbehave, I know it and get pain.  

You are right, even my lovely "cancer educated personal trainer" seems to be sort of casual about what could happen if my LE is mistreated.  Education is really important it seems to me.  Binney has helped to educate us all.  Purple has every right to be angry but she is directing her anger in a way to also educate as many folks as she can reach.

Thank you to both of you as I search out how to contribute to the education of the dumbos in my life~

• denise-g
    edited May 2013

Okay, you've all convinced me...I am going to be better prepared to educate.  I've always considered myself an educator, but when it comes to stupid stuff during cancer, my anger always takes over!!

Thanks for all your input...sending hugs out!!   Denise

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited May 2013

I so agree with Binney - thanks.  Before I read Purple, I was thinking about the LE act and how it would have been a good time to hand her a brochure about contacting her congressman.  So Purple where did you order the brochures from.  Since I've been more compliant with wearing  my sleeves lately, I've been getting more questions about my arm, it would be great to keep a pile of those in my purse and just hand them to everyone that asks.  :-)  Hope you all have a sunny lovely weekend!

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited May 2013

Funny, but reading this thread yesterday got me thinking, and this morning it dawned on me that a good answer would be to say 'I'm an elite arm wrestler in world competition, and this is my compression gear to help keep my muscles in condition.'  But then, this afternoon a woman I see quite often saw me in my sleeve for the first time, as I dropped by her shop on my way home from the gym. She asked 'what happened to your arm?' out of genuine concern. Well, I completely forgot about my arm wrestling line...took the time to explain LE instead.  I'm with Binney on the longer term need to give much greater voice to LE, and I agree with her that these kinds of education opportunities can be an important part of that.

• purple32
    edited May 2013

She asked 'what happened to your arm?' out of genuine concern.

Carol

PLS NOTE :I am in100% agreement with you on that one.    I was referring strictly to the rude @itch that  Denise posted about. < and others just like her   > I didnt want to add insult to injuy fo Denise !  I think that's VERY important!

LINDA

please vist www.lymphedematreatmentact.org

They will send you FREE ' cards'  if you request them.

THX  !

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited May 2013

Thanks Purple, should have thought of that site Tongue Out

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited May 2013

Purple, it's been my experience that some people ask about it out of genuine concern, and others are just rude. I'm sure not denying anyone's experience of having to put up with people who are clueless, and the idea of finding opportunities to educate on LE only works when there's a receptive listener.  When I sense there's a genuine caring question, I answer accordingly.  Otherwise, I've got my 'elite arm wrestler' line all ready to go!  

• denise-g
    edited May 2013

I am getting my lines down too!  I've now had more experience with this as I have had about 3 more

inquiries about "what happened to your arm?"    Because of all of your help, I am getting better discernment of what to say and to what person to say it. 

If it is some total stranger who just seems nosey, I will say "shark bite" or something flip.

If it is someone I know, like running into a gal I used to work with years ago, I will try to educate her more while I have a captive audience.

And if it is young girls, like the sweet younger woman who generally seemed concern, I will use it as an opportunity to instruct about breast cancer and lymphedema...and don't let them tell you that you don't need a mammogram until you are 50.

WHEW!  This is a lot of work!  And the brochure idea is great! 

• dassi52
    edited May 2013

I just realized there's nothing like work. My newest gloves were kind of very tight on me and numbed my fingers a bit, so I would remove them after two hours and then I would go around without which is not so good. Today I put them on for work and I was so busy that they stayed on from 7.30 to till around 2. I didn't have time to feel bothered by them. The result was great. My fingers looked better than ever. So the secret is being busy and keeping those things on! When working in the kitchen with water etc, I find that invariably some water seeps in, no matter how many layers of protection I put over the glove. If I could figure out a way to keep it from happening, I would probably be better about wearing the glove  for housework. Who has a good idea? Maybe use the Imak? I know some use old gloves, but I don't have any yet. 

Re educating others about LE. I tried it with a very intelligent CA patient, but she was not ready to hear. That made me upset, I admit. Lots of people do not know I had CA, because I didn't feel ready to advertise it either. I hate being looked at as "poor Dassi who has/had cancer". As a result, I can't go and now educate everyone. When there is an opportunity (like a nurse in the hospital), I do it. It really depends on who asks. If it's genuine concern, I may explain some of it but not all. And to think that last year this time, I had nothing! I didn't know how lucky I was. 

• purple32
    edited May 2013

I had nothing! I didn't know how lucky I was.

Ain't that the truth ?!
    I had other issues, but I still had no clue who lucky I was !

Glad you are wearing the gloves more.

I dont think the IMAKS are the answer.  They will get wet instantly and  provide you no protection.  There are other ladies on here who seem to have had some fair ideas.  Perhaps they will come on again.

Right now, I confesss to using my husbands hands when needed ! Surprised

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited May 2013

Purple, I love it! Nothing like an extra pair of hands! Yep, DH and the kids get called on for some of the messier jobs.

Dassi, I get a lot of mileage out of a long-handled scrub brush for kitchen work. And a tongs for fishing things out of the water or holding on to messy things I'm working on. The less I have to change out my gloves the happier I am. I've never used kitchen gloves, but some women do find them useful, if you can get a size large enough to fit over your compression gloves. Everything I put over my gloves seems to make my hands sweat.Tongue Out

Looking forward to reading other ideas here!

Be well,
    Binney

• purple32
    edited May 2013

out of a long-handled scrub brush for kitchen work.

The most practical and common sense idea I have seen to date (DOH!)
    We wont mention it to my husband just yet  :>)

• dassi52
    edited May 2013

Purple, great idea but my DH is not too cooperative and I don't have kids at home anymore. All marriedWink so no complaint. Binney, I do use a brush for some things, but it doesn't quite work when I hold a veggie in my hand under running water. I tried a vinyl over the glove and on top of that rubber. Yes, it's sweaty but I could handle it for a limited time if it really worked. However, some water always seems to find its way in after a while. That is still the best solution when I clean a bathroom or kitchen floor. We have a lot of tiled floors here and cleaning is always WET. I do have carpet in the bedrooms, so that's not an issue.

One of the problems with wearing all those layers is not just that it's hot and sweaty but it is also cumbersome. GRRR... If there's anyone who has additional solutions besides getting a cleaning lady (I wish), let's hear. If we get some additional good suggestions, maybe it could be added to the SUSO site. 

When I mentioned the IMAK, I meant that it would be worn with protective gear over it. This way, if the IMAK gets wet, I still have a dry Farrow to put on afterwards. If my Farrow is wet, I have to wait because you can't put it in the dryer! (unlike the IMAK) Even a little pressure is better than none.

I would like to tell you that it has been very hot here for the past few days, but I had no trouble with my glove. It didn't make me especially hot at all. At least something positive as well.

• purple32
    edited May 2013

This way, if the IMAK gets wet, I still have a dry Farrow to put on afterwards. If my Farrow is wet, I have to wait because you can't put it in the dryer! (unlike the IMAK) Even a little pressure is better than none.

That make sense, dassi- yes, but I do hope someone else has add'l suggestions.

Also, it may sound like a no brainer, but can you put all your vegs into a colander strainer and let water run over them while you walk away and do something else.  ( like give your husband a pinch, perhaps  :>) Surprised

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited May 2013

Oh guess what a GP from my church said to me today? You should put tattoos on your sleeves ha ha! I responded with "they make them.. You want to buy me a set?" Then just smiled.. GRrrrrr

• dassi52
    edited May 2013

Great reply, Gma! Maybe she'll think next time BEFORE she opens her mouth.

• dassi52
    edited May 2013

Good news for a change. My LET measured me today and all was well. Hand stayed the same and looked good, and arm has no swelling at all. And she wrote me down for two gloves per 6 months, rather than one I got first time. While it is much more expensive to get the gloves here - they're imported from England, I figured out that all I pay per glove is about $33, the rest I get returned by the health fund. (If I bought in the States, I would have to find someone to bring it to me, and I wouldn't get any refund even though this would save the health fund lots of money. Apparently, they don't want to work with any other than Israeli currency) The main thing is - the gloves were ordered, and I will soon be the "proud" owner of more Farrows so that I can recycle the really old one into "fit for housework".

Does anyone know if compression garments are tax deductible in the States as a healthcare item?(If your insurance doesn't cover the costs)

• purple32
    edited May 2013

dassi

DME and associated medical costs would be tax deductible in the U.S.  HOWEVER, you have to spend a small fortune before they let you deduct medical expenses.  (ONLY that which EXCEEDS 10% of your annual income)

This is the latest from the IRS website :
    If, for a taxable year, you itemize your deductions on Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF), you may be able to deduct expenses you paid that year for medical and dental care for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents. You may deduct only the amount by which your total medical care expenses for the year exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. For years beginning after December 31, 2012, you may deduct only the amount by which your total medical expenses exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income. You figure the amount you are allowed to deduct on Form 1040, Schedule A. However, individuals age 65 and older (and their spouses) are temporarily exempt from the increase. This exemption for seniors applies to any tax year beginning after December 31, 2012 and ending before January 1, 2017 if the taxpayer or the taxpayer’s spouse attained age 65 for the tax year.

• dassi52
    edited May 2013

thanks Purple for the IRS information. There's always next year...