Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ALL THINGS Gloves and sleeves

Comments

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227
    edited May 2014

Thought I'd update again about the Medi 95 thing. They are being discontinued because Mediven came out with a new glove, the Harmony, so I got one of those to try. The material is softer and is supposed to massage your skin, a la Solidea sleeves, I guess, but there's no chevron pattern. I generally wear a dorsum pad under my glove, but am trying this one without one just to see what happens. Perhaps the magic massage material will help! 

At any rate, quite a comfortable glove thus far.

Edit: Has anybody heard anything on Lymphedivas gloves lately? I emailed offering to beta test and never heard back...

• floaton
    floaton Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2014

I recently got a harmony glove to try from my fitter, and I like it as well.  It is softer than the custom I tried before it, and doesn't turn my fingers too blue.  It is also helping with the swelling between my fingers and thumb as I was working on a collection there.  My only complaint is that it pushes a bit more than I'd like on the web between my middle and ring finger.  

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited May 2014

Thanks for the medi info!  Didn't know about this!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited May 2014

I just got my new Harmony sleeve from Medi. The fabric is lighter and where you bend your arm is thinner so it feels better. My concern though is that the lower part of the arm isn't as tight, almost lose… which is where I need the compression. I also used to get the long size, I was right on the cusp. This seems to fit correctly in length but I would think if someone really needed a long sleeve they might have issues. I'm afraid I will not be wearing Medi sleeves anymore

Anyone else try these? I am so disappointed. 

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited May 2014

I tried before it, and doesn't turn my fingers too blue.

"not TOO blue ?"  Unacceptable in my book.

HILDY
    I diunno.  Try josh@lymphedivas.com

He'll let you know.

I LOVE the Farrow glove ( see brightlife direct) if you can get away with wearing such a  lightweight. The BLK is very nice.

My other 2 customs made me worse.

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited May 2014

Purple is correct..........no amount of 'blue' is acceptable.  We have enough 'blueness' in our heads over LE.  We shouldn't tolerate it in our hands as well.

• aunt_paula
    aunt_paula Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2014

Hi everyone--

I have spent the past few days reading this thread, and my head is spinning with all the information! I have bilateral LE, mild to moderate on the left, and mild on the right, and my therapist has said she thinks a sleeve with strap will be best for me, since I have a lot of upper-arm and shoulder trouble. I am really intrigued by the Solidea bilateral sleeve, since it seems to cover the worst areas for me. I have some elbow and hand issues on the side with the shoulder and truncal/breast issues. I'm not sure what my insurance will cover in terms of sleeves, but I know it doesn't cover any gloves or gauntlets, so I'll be out-of-pocket on those. It's really helpful to have this thread in looking at different options. I really like my therapist, but she doesn't specialize in LE, so I'm hoping that between the fitter and what I can learn, I can find something that will work. I live in a very rural area, and there are no certified LETs within a couple hundred miles in any direction, so I am grateful to have her, but kind of on my own to a degree. I'm thinking that I will let my insurance cover whatever it will, and then maybe try the Solidea as well (with fitter's input, for sure), and maybe the Solidea glove? I'm also thinking of trying Juzo sleeves and gloves. I'm not sure what the fitter keeps in stock, so am just kind of thinking out loud.

• lago
    edited June 2014

aunt_paula I find I can purchase them online for cheaper than my insurance covers. I have a very high deductible. The two sites I use: 

Brightlife.com

Lymphedema Products.com

Brightlife has specials from time to time. I just started using LymphedemaProducts noticing their regular prices can be lower than Brightlife. Maybe others have better sources.

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited June 2014

aunt_paula, I have the bilateral Solidea in both neutral and black, and they work pretty well for me, and I have had LOTS of problems with other sleeves. The wrists are relaxed enough to not make the hands swell too much, so the lighter Farrow glove is all I need now. Much better than my "custom" Juzo sleeve & glove! I finally DID get the fitter to work with Juzo to get a better fit that relaxed the wrist to relieve the hand swelling, so now I am able to go without glove for many hours each day, which is such a relief when I am trying to do anything in the kitchen or garden (definitely wear protection in the garden!). Anyway, the bilateral Solidea has the lowest compression and is not actually truly "medical" grade compression, but I have found that lower compression works better for me than higher compression anyway. Overall, I am happy with them, I got them from Brightlife. They were quite good to work with as I tried on and returned about a dozen different sleeves and sizes and materials before finding these. Good luck!

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited June 2014

If you're comparison shopping for prices, include BandagesPlus.com as well--sometimes they come out with a really good deal. But you can't beat BrightLifeDirect for customer service.

Since we're all different, I'll just throw in my experience with the bilateral Solidea. The wrists are relaxed, but the area just above the wrist is a bit "gathered," slightly looser than either wrist or forearm. So for me, it caused swelling in the area just above the wrist. Sometimes you just can't win! The other problem I had with it is that I have truncal LE as well, and the piece across the shoulders, while it was quite comfortable, pushed fluid forward into my axilla--nasty business! Made me really sad, since it's actually lovely and the fabric is just luscious. 

Hope it works for you, Paula!
    Binney

• Linda-n3
    edited June 2014

Binney, your comments about the wrist of the Solidea are spot-on. I also found that the top of the sleeve where it becomes the cross-the-shoulders piece hits right at the super-sensitive nerve spot that was damaged during ALND, and some days I can be distracted from the discomfort, other days not so easy. Of course, ALL my sleeves hit right there, so that has been a chronic problem for all of them, but as they tend to slip down during the day, and the Solideas do not, I tend to notice them more.

• lago
    edited June 2014

So does anyone have smaller wrists? I need to find a new sleeve since medi95 is being discontinued and the Harmony new size is too big for my lower arm and wrist and doesn't come in a smaller size (I swell in the lower arm and initially in the wrist area too).

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227
    edited June 2014

Hi Iago, 

I have smaller wrists, but I'm the opposite in that I need the wrist to be a bit looser I end up with double compression at my wrists. 

I would really love Solidea to come out with a glove--I sometimes wear the gauntlet under my glove because I love that chevron material so much....

• Linda-n3
    edited June 2014

lago, I also have small wrists, but the double compression caused hand swelling, so I need to have more relaxed wrist. My first custom sleeve was made to fit the smaller wrist, but I could not get the swelling in my hand to go away, so when they added over 1 cm to the wrist measurement, the hand swelling is completely gone, I rarely have to use a glove, and  the wrist swelling has decreased considerably. If you have swelling at the wrist, is it above or below where the sleeve ends? It may be that you need to experiment a bit with this. Good luck.

• lago
    edited June 2014

My wrist swelling has been gone since I started wearing the sleeve in December 2010. I don't wear a glove. Haven't in at least 2+ years per my LE MD recommendation. My hand doesn't swell, never did. My fingers will swell in humid weather but that's normal. Mine did that before BC. In general I don't swell anymore because I wear my sleeve religiously every day (and I'm a bit lucky). I also exercise. It keeps the fluid moving

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    ahdjdbcjdjdbkf Member Posts: 188
    edited June 2014

I went for a 2 hour MLD on my right arm today. It is not covered by insurance so I haven't gone for a long time. But I'm grateful I could do something to hekp myself today. My arm is much smaller and my hand is moving a lot better. Even if it doesn't last, I'm grateful for it today and to know that there is effective help out there.

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited June 2014

Mariasnow, Good for you and thanks for encouraging us that all is not lost. maybe try wrapping to keep the nasty swell beast away for a few more days.

• purple32
    edited June 2014

so when they added over 1 cm to the wrist measurement, the hand swelling is completely gone,

Linda

That is Great !  And so encouraging.  MOST of my swelling is in my wrist and hand.  It's got me thinkin'.

• denise-g
    edited June 2014

Okay, this has probably been asked and answered hundreds of times - but are there any cooler sleeves out there?  I wear the Jobst Bella Lite and Gauntlet that work pretty well for me (finger swelling under control and it keeps my wrist down), but they are HOT!  I used to wear the one piece Mediven 95 which was a lot cooler, but too much wrist swelling and aren't they quitting that one?  I know they are all HOT, but any suggestions would be appreciated!  

• lago
    edited June 2014

I wear the Mediven 95 but they no longer make it. There are a few places that still sell it. They do have a replacement design. It's really nice but unfortunately for me the lower arm is now loose. Smallest size is size II so I need to find a new brand.

Here's a link to the new medi sleeves:

linky 1 (lower left of page)

linky 2 (may still have medi 95 in stock too)

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited June 2014

When I kayak for a week each July, I take along every sleeve I own, because laundry doesn't happen except with river water.  So I go through a lot of sleeves, old and new.  I find that my Lymphedivas are coolest out of the  four brands I own, including Jobst, Juzo, and Allegro.  I often dampen the sleeve (with river water; oh well!) and find that the Divas sleeve dries fastest with the most evaporative cooling effect.  Too bad the top always rolls, which makes me crazy.

• floaton
    edited June 2014

I have a question about solaris tribute night sleeves - I'm thinking about looking into one but do they have the same stitching pattern as the jovi pak?  When I tried the jovi, it left a huge "v" of fluid right below my elbow crease that was no fun to try to get rid of.  I've tried a circaid measure up as well but even with finger/hand wrapping it makes my hand swell so bad I've given up trying to use it.  Thanks!

• purple32
    edited June 2014

Good Q Floaton

Hoping someone will reply.

Let me ask-  do you wear a glove ?

• floaton
    edited June 2014

Yes, unfortunately I graduated to a glove a couple of months after wearing a gauntlet once my fingers started swelling.  I finally tried the farrow you suggested (lymphedema and reynauds thread - thanks for your help there!), and I'm glad I did since the material is nice but I've (begrudgingly) noticed days I'm wearing it I find myself rubbing my hand by mid-day because it's achy.  Which is kind if weird since if I don't wear anything for the day it doesn't seem to ache.  (I'm having some weird nervy pain that gets worse with too many days in a row of compression :(.  The farrow does work great for my finger swelling tho.  So mostly I'm back to the new medi harmony glove which now that it isn't brand new is kinder to my finger color, helps with finger swelling, and doesn't make my hand achy.  I didn't ever get the glove that goes with the measure up since my le pt and my fitter didn't think it would work for me.  Now that I think about it, I didn't ask them for a reason why.  Ugh, I want my brain back :(.

• lago
    edited June 2014

I don't wear a glove/gauntlet anymore because my hand/fingers don't swell but when I did I preferred the glove. I am on the computer a lot and I found it easier to type.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited June 2014

floaton, comparing the Jovi and Solaris stitching patterns, I'd say they're just about exactly alike.  But it's likely the fit, rather than the stitch pattern, that's giving you trouble. Can you have your LE therapist check the fit for you? Jovi will make adjustments, but they charge, so next time you might want to order from Solaris--slightly better customer service. (For the prices they charge they should all be bowing down to the customers, if you ask me...)

In the meantime, is there a Swell Spot you can use for the elbow area? Might be a cheaper fix.

Nothing about this is ever easy, is it? Be well anyhow!
    Binney

• denise-g
    edited June 2014

Carol - thanks for the info about sleeves and cooling - appreciate it so much!!!

• floaton
    edited June 2014

Binney, thanks so much for getting back to me on the jovi v Solaris pattern thing.  For now, my pt said she'd advise a Reid sleeve due to the similarities of those other 2, so I guess we'll see how that goes.  I tried a swell spot with wrapping once and didn't love it, I could retry in the future but lately I've been unable to wrap at all due to pain/numbness/tingling in the heel of my hand that any pressure make worse :(.  Have a call into my md to see if I can see someone about it, guess I'll have to deal with this next.  Thanks again!

• denise-g
    edited June 2014

I LOVE the summer so everyone can ask me what I did to my arm.  I'm

always honest and try to have a short teaching moment (2 lines or less) about

Lymphedema and Breast Cancer.  Got more than I bargained for today at a local

restaurant when the restaurant owner asked me about it.  She proceeded to tell

me for about 15 minutes all the people she knows who have died from cancer and

all kinds of other horror stories.   She had me captive in the booth and no matter

what I did, I wasn't able to stop her.     

Are you all honest or do you make up stories so you don't end up in that kind of

situation??

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,462
    edited June 2014

Trying to access last page (41) testing by posting this. 

The Mods