STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Comments

• shellshine
    shellshine Member Posts: 930
    edited July 2013

When DH and I got engaged 25 years ago my dad gave us a check for $10,000. That was a fortune back then! We promptly put off the wedding and added that to our savings and bought our house. A year later we were married in a simple ceremony at our local Catholic church. I had a seamstress make my dress, a patient made my haku lei, another pt made my bouquet. No bridesmaids, just our best friends as maid of honor and best man, their daughters were dressed in sweet cotton summer dresses as our flower girls.

We had a small reception in my parent's back yard. I did my own flowers. We had it catered for 140 people, my brothers bartended wine and a keg of beer. My best friend paid for a night at a luxury hotel, then we flew to another island and stayed at a resort  - I had won the vacation in a contest. I think the whole thing cost $1000 back then, and it was BEAUTIFUL. It was the most beautiful wedding I ever attended!

DH's parents paid for  dinner the night prior - about 20 people. It was very simple and heartfelt. 

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893
    edited July 2013

Chickie looked at Sasha and Cooper for along time. Good beginning. Keep your smell on Cooper. As long as your smell is there, nothing will happen to Cooper. I wish I could share the first introduction of DS to our Brittanys. Baby laid on bed. Max sniffed baby. Max's son JB sniffed too. I trusted Max. Then the most amazing thing happened. Max laid on his back and pushed into the sides of the baby. Then JB did the same following what his senior did. We took a polaroid.  DH had now idea what it meant. The dogs were receiving and giving total submission to the new baby. Love the pic. All kinds of science caught in a pic-the joy of that moment to see one animal accept a newborn, that by Max"s lead, another animal his son JB, followed his action. Both laying by the newborn. Joy

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited July 2013

Leeza13. Welcome. I don't remember seeing you here before, but maybe it's my memory or lack there of.

Ducky- glad to see you again.

Flowers- glad your recovery is proceeding smoothly.

Chickie- I will doggy/puppy sit anytime!

One last thought on the cost of weddings---just remember it is late: if couples spent equivalent time working on their marriage as is spent on the wedding, might there be a lower divorce rate?

Mary, I hoped we helped in our own unique way..

• shellshine
    edited July 2013

PoorMaryGotAnEarFull!

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited July 2013

Well, she asked. Wink  Weddings are so much fun.... even if they are a lot of work.

Chickers!  I love the pictures!  Soooooooooo cute!  I'll bet little Coop gets lots of kisses on his little fuzzy face!

Welcome Lezza!   Nice to see you here.  Sorry you had to go through so much, but sounds like you are doing well.

And Sassy, that story was so sweet!  When our First Grandson was born, Chevy, our Australian Shepherd/Sheltie guy, couldn't WAIT to see him, while we were holding him...  So I laid him on the  Chevy's pillow, on the floor, and he curled up beside him, and licked the top of his head....  Then he just settled in there, watching the baby nap...  When it was time to go, he didn't want Chuck, our SIL to get near him... He put his nose on top of the baby, and  didn't want "them" to take him! 

Guess he thought he had his own "puppy" now.  I had to talk to him, and get the baby myself.  He just became Brandon's first best friend.  And they grew up together... best buds.  That reminds me of that cute commercial.... "my puppy-brother."

Shells......  My folks had moved away, so when we finally got married, I had bought my cute little cream-colored "sheath" dress, and a big Navy-blue hat, with matching gloves, and little clutch, and matching shoes.  DH had this suit from somewhere, that my Aunt shortened, and we went to a Justice of the Peace.  Didn't have any money, except a little,  to drive the next day up to the mountains, to stay in a little cabin!  It was so fun!  

My Mom flew in for our "ceremony" and his Mom had a little "wedding cake" .....  So  it was "small" but all I wanted was "him"....Smile  We were both just 20... and we made it work!  

So now 56 years later...  And I couldn't have asked for more... A little rocky sometimes, but you just get through it, the best way you can....  We're just really lucky.... and patient.... and  wits made of steel.... and perserverance...  and "talk to the hand"  and most of all... gratitude.

• marywh
    marywh Member Posts: 1,433
    edited July 2013

You all know I love the advice you give me.....

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,360
    edited July 2013

Enjoying all the wedding wisdom.  From one who has been married twice.  First wedding, white dress, big church, the whole number pretty much though in 66' it was not as costly as now.  Lasted ten years.....and I was single a week before my hubby now and I got married.  Very small and we went to a minister's home to be married.   The Reverend was Johnny Cash's best friend and my former father-in-law gave me away. 

All very interesting as I never gave up my former in-laws and remained good friends with my ex.  For me there was no question --  he was not the right one for me though I gave it every chance I could, but I could not be mean and vindictive to someone who had been such a large part of my younger years. 

Second wedding....cost virtually nothing and we have been together for 39 years now and married 38 of those years.  I think this one took. 

The dogs....and sas...I learned something new about smells and animals.  You ladies are fo sull of knowledge.

juliaanna.....great wisdom ensconced in your thought on the cost of weddings.  How true !!!

Good wishes for healing and happiness to all.

Jackie

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited July 2013

Good Mirning Hoolies--or was I here already? Do I know-Nope. My times and days have one into same day different weather. except for weekends  Ah rainstorms this afternoon--well last year no rain-to much heat, this yr rain and not as much heat--Thank goodness.

Oh chevy the other thread has so many chickens l on u Missy It still makes me think of the butxher wheb I was a chile--pick the live chicken and he'd cut his head off-sill flutterig around. Ick So I think it is like a slow torture, but I can withstand it.

I hope everyone is having a better or just plain good day. My eyes are closing like crazy. I hate this. Oh well TTYL

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2013

Cammi!  WTH did you just say?  Try that once more...  I try and decipher, but my decipher button must be broken.    I have an IDEA, but I don't like to think of what my Grandpa did!   Did we come from the sam fam damly?  (damn family?)     Go to bed little funny face! 

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited July 2013

Thanks for the stories. I can't seem to typn this mornung. Going to Dizzy Castle this morning with grandkids (12,6, and 3) Daughter is driving. I will just DRIVE them all crazy :) I didn't have to get up for work this morning, but was up at 4am anyway. So much for vacation and sleeping in.

• camillegal
    edited July 2013

Chevy I kind of know what I said but not sure now---hahha I might as wel do aklslddiiduijdmjfdps;cjdigvlcvid it mkes about as much sense, I think. LOL

But that's how we picked out a chicken--they were live and u pinted and the butcher picked it up and chopped of the head and they still be moving all over he place--it was so scary, especially for a kid--even my mom.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited July 2013

Chickie how cute is that, now tell me how you are and when your next treatment is?

Flowers, how do you feel?

Leeza can you and flowers meet?

Well of course I broke the oxygen thingy...the connection from the hose to the connector (tank) in my middle of the night I stepped on and snapped it off....not happy with their customer service, no phone number to call cept on the bill of course, hope I get a survey, they are like 10 minutes from my home, have to wait for a driver to bring me a whole unit and the connect...so stupid you would think I am not the only person who has snapped it but of course it is me, lol am doing ok cause not moving around just sitting on my bed, waiting for the dr. to call me...

and am going to make bracelets to take to chemo for patients (women I guess) to have....with sayings like hope; faith;strength;courage;believe and other words you could think of that you would want....my way of giving back?

• marywh
    edited July 2013

Mri came back clear-Whoo-Hoo!!! Going out now to get dd a bitrthday present. Be back laterxoxox

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893
    edited July 2013

I got up , then said I was going to lay down for just a few more minutes. I slept through my appointment. Picked up Path report at med records. NoNmalignant.  I see him tomorrow 310pm to see what he wants to do. Yay to a point :)

• shellshine
    edited July 2013

Sooooooooo happy for you Sas. Very happy - Yay!

Mary you are so much fun - I want to see a picture of that porch.

They are supposedly coming today to work on our patio covering - wrote the check for materials 2 weeks ago... taking longer than expected.

It's raining - today is my first day "off" from school - lots to catch up on and major job hunting. Nice to relax, though.

• savgigi
    savgigi Member Posts: 245
    edited July 2013

Hooray for good reports for Mary and Sas!!

• veggy
    veggy Member Posts: 4,150
    edited July 2013

For Sas and Mary!

• gmafoley
    edited July 2013

Great News from you both!!! I would find a happy dance pic for you but on my iPod so HAPPY DANCING!!!

• veggy
    edited July 2013

more happy dance!

• gmafoley
    edited July 2013

Thank you Veggy I couldn't do that from here.

• veggy
    edited July 2013

Your welcome!

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited July 2013

For Mary and Sas. You both need to celebrate big time.

Mary hoping your porch is done soon.

Shells - woohoo you'r done. Happy job hunting. Any prospects?

Sas - I snored sitting upright in the club chair yesterday then leaned over on the arm and slept more but then was useless for a couple of hours. We spent yesterday morning tearing apart a 900# round bale of hay for the goaties and putting it in shed, bags, trash bags so we were both pooped. I can sleep anywhere but sometimes not so good in the bed. Give me a comfy couch corner or better yet the junction of couch cushions and I'm gone. A trait I inherited from DM/GM.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited July 2013

Sorry hit submit rather than preview.

Welcome Lezza. Welcome to this crazee bunch. I'm NW of Ft. Worth.

Blondie - Does the unit have an emergency # on it? It should because anyone with would not know where to find your bill in an emergency. Did you get a concentrator? You need portable/E tanks also for power outages. If this is permanent you need to notify power company so you get priority service. Also your provider should make sure you're stocked for bad weather - snow, ice (LOL right now). Get them to send extra pieces of anything that you can replace yourself - cheaper on them in the long run. I think Medicare in the last 1-2 years has limited the # of providers so hopefully you got a good one. If not, raise some ruckus. Hope they gave you good instruction. My social worker took care of these notifications for our patients so there might be more. There was also some 411 they had to notify.

Chickeofnewpup - Cooper looks like such a snuggle bunny.

• camillegal
    edited July 2013

• camillegal
    edited July 2013

That's for Sas and Mary--not the one I picked but it's going to have to do.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,360
    edited July 2013

For Sas & Mary:

• ChickaD
    ChickaD Member Posts: 971
    edited July 2013

Yay for Miss Sassafras and MissMaryMary!  BIG happy dance for both of you  xoxo

Welcome Miss Leeza!

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2013

Yes Gals!  Congratulations!!!!!!!!  That's great! 

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited July 2013

Doing my own happy dance for Mary and Sas!

• marywh
    edited July 2013

Thanks for all the happy dances! Made me want to go out and shake a leg, BUT might get dizzy so Ill let you girls just find more happy dance pictures...