Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Comments

• shellshine
    shellshine Member Posts: 930
    edited October 2013

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited October 2013

I love all kinds of seafood - except for seaweed. I just cannot bring myself to eat it. One of the things I love most in Hawaii is the fresh poke - and they even sell what I consider to be really good poke at Costco!!

We've (I use the word "we" extremely loosely as I really haven't done a d*mn thing) got the house ready to start moving stuff in. That's what I was supposed to be doing today - instead I'm sitting on my butt at work doing really nothing. We needed to staff the center as they are doing electrical work in the building. So IF something I support should be affected then I'd have to work. Otherwise, I've got one project I can do some work on. But I can only edit a firewall configuration for so long before I start seeing letters and numbers upside down and backwards - then it's time to distract myself doing something else. I'm hoping to spend some time tomorrow moving and doing a little painting (two walls in the kitchen and the master bath). I always think I've got more energy/time than reality proves out, though, so I'll probably only get done about 1/4 of what I intend.

I don't know what houses are going for here in the NW now. Once we got our house I quit looking as I didn't want to find something I liked better for less money and get all depressed. I'll probably look again soon, though, as my BIL is looking for a condo, and he relies a lot on hubby and me to point him in the right direction. When we bought our house it looked like prices had stopped rising - at least at the rate they were.... But jobs are still doing well up here, so my guess is that come spring housing prices will start back up again. I doubt at the same rate as they did this year. At least I hope not, as I'd hate to see another crash happen in our lifetime.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited October 2013

Housing is doing OK here but access to Ft Worth from here is the pits. 4 lane controlled access (a misnomer) which in Texas means magnet for wrecks. We've been assessing our insurance, esp. flood insurance since house paid off. I went to tax appraisal and house value is down some but then I think it was wayyyy over inflated. Housing in FW I think is still going gangbusters esp. suburbs out towards airport and straight NW towards Denton. 'Course Dallas area esp. Collin Co and north is great. Allen ISD just recently built some super duper football stadium. Our little town finally built a stadium (though I think not the greatest use of tax dollars) to replace the "bleacher" stadium they had. Making some $$ back in renting it out.

Poke I don't remember eating. I had both the Hawaiian and Chinese influence from neighbor/landlord and a teacher that became a dear friend to my DM. Not so much the Japanese esp. in cooking though I do certainly love it also. I buy Hawaiian cookbooks when I find them, more the community type. I have had fun reading back on the Honolulu Star Advertiser's food column archives. Reminds me I need to eat up the salmon I cooked the other day.

• gardengumby
    edited October 2013

Last Christmas we were in Hawaii and had the WHOLE family over for Christmas dinner. My son made poke. My MIL who has never eaten a fish she hasn't wanted overcooked actually tried some - I almost fell off my chair when I saw her eating RAW FISH, as 2 nights earlier I just about broke my heart overcooking some ahi so she would eat it. The difference, of course, was that my son (who she adores) made the poke - it's a different kettle of fish (pun intended) when cooked by her DIL LOLOLOLOL :D

For the most part we get along, but we've had a few "avoid each other" times over the 35 years, but by and large I think she's odd and she thinks the same of me... LOL

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited October 2013

What is this poke you're talking about? A fish? My dad would go in the woods springtime and cut greens, he called it poke. Mom cooked it like spinach. Remember the song Poke Salad Annie?

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2013

Yes! Elvis Presley sang that!

I looked it up on Google Images, and yes, it is a Poke plant, growing tall, kind of like the taller Dandelions you see... I don't have sp.check on Internet Explorer, so don't know if that's right....

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2013
  • gardengumby
    edited October 2013

aaaaahh - different poke. What I'm talking about is pronounce po (long o) kay (long a). It's a hawaiian way of fixing fish (often ahi). It's raw fish with a variety of other ingredients - usually garlic, ginger and soy sauce are among them - sometimes fish eggs. It's something that many people need to aquire a taste for but I loved from the first taste. Hubby wouldn't eat it until it was cooked for a long time, but he's converted now, too. It's probably my grandson's favorite food.

Edited to add:

Here's one recipe for it...

Ahi Poke Recipe

Ingredients:

2 large sashimi grade Ahi tuna steaks (1 1/2 lbs.)

1 shallot, sliced

1/2 cup chopped green onion

3 Tb. soy sauce

1 tsp. sesame oil

1 tsp. chili garlic sauce

1 Tb. sesame seeds

Directions:

Pat the Ahi dry, then neatly cut it into small 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a bowl.

Add the shallots, green onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, and sesame seeds.

Gently toss. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.

*For another variation, omit the chili sauce and add 1/2 tsp. wasabi paste and 1 tsp. honey.

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2013

• luvmygoats
    edited October 2013

Poke sallet grows wild here. One growing right beside goat yard with huge berries. Goats won't eat it. If you goggle poke salad the image that comes up from Google Images looks just like my plant. Nice assortment cause besides it is a long area of ragweed. Sneeze. :)

Been out chopping out wild grapevines that are invading my hedges. Goats do love them.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited October 2013

looked it up too.......it is also a fish........usually marinated, and eaten raw....but can be pan fried...

• shellshine
    edited October 2013

I like mine with a little mayonnaise and chili over room temperature brown rice, with a sprinkling of dried grated nori. image

imageimage

• shellshine
    edited October 2013

I think we should plan a Hawaii get - together in a year or two - take our time to find a nice beach house to rent and chillax. If we plan it far enough in advance, we might find some great airfare, and maybe a donor foundation to help those that could use a little fairy dust.

• luvmygoats
    edited October 2013

Shell - I have always wanted to go back but my DH is not a traveler. My DF and DM separately after they divorced did go back, she with hubby #3 (long story) and DF went back for business. We lived on Kalanianaole Hwy just outside Aina Haina.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893
    edited October 2013

Hi I had asked Kira re:LE and flying. The following link is where she reposted her PM response

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/64/topic/811841?page=1#post_3747682

Binney4 reposted it to Bonfires as a kindness in case I didn't see. I'm putting the link here for future reference as binney answered several questions while she was on Bonfires.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/7/topic/763848?page=154#idx_4609

• marywh
    marywh Member Posts: 1,433
    edited October 2013

Im coming back. Soon I hope. That was my favorite place ever for vacation. Dh and I do things on the spur, who knows I might need a break after ds wedding. It might just tire me out and I need a vacation:). Be prepared Shells.

• di2012
    di2012 Member Posts: 871
    edited October 2013

Got an email Thursday with air fare to Honolulu for for $112 one way....I was ready to hop a plane and find a place when I got there!

• spookiesmom
    edited October 2013

UGH I don't eat anything that swims.

Seems like I remember my dad saying you had to get the poke greens when young and tender, then mom would change the cooking water several times. Geeze it smelled bad

Lgoats , maybe that's why the 4feets aren't eating it?

• luvmygoats
    edited October 2013

Spookie - and you live in Florida, land of the fishies. Everything that hangs into, over, through the fence is cleared but that poke sallet. I refuse to cook for them! They will eat most anything except stinging nettle and one tree that has the nastiest thorns. Came up in one of the fence lines. Don't know what it is. I have 1 doe that will eat anything - no hesitation - but would not get near that tree when I took her walking for grazing one day.

• ChickaD
    ChickaD Member Posts: 971
    edited October 2013

imageHad fun at clam bake tonight, but oh so tired...lol

• spookiesmom
    edited October 2013

yep, can walk 1 1/2 blocks to Gulf. No swimmy things!

Do you have locust trees there? They have nasty thorns, is a very tough wood. I have a walking stick my great grandfather made from locust branch.

• luvmygoats
    edited October 2013

Spookie - I don't think so looking at google images. Will have to look closer at leaves tomorrow.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893
    edited October 2013

Chickie how did you get my picture. Chit, was my Skyp on?

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2013

You guys, where did Cammi go? Have any of you heard from that little kiddle?

Since my Husband is Italian, he grew up eating almost anything that didn't run away! I remember his Aunt cooking up Chicken Feet, (Now Cammi would say she knew they were good for SOMEthing!)........and even Pig ears with cabbage! And they would all go out in a field and dig up dandelions, and then have to come home and CLEAN them! Cooked, they weren't so good, but in a salad, they were delicious! But you know in THOSE days, people didn't have much money, so they all grew their own gardens, and I don't want to talk about the Chickens. Or the frog-legs....EEEeeeeks! And I won't eat Rabbit. EITHER!

One time my FIL saw mushrooms growing up against a tree in the irrigation ditch next to us... So he went over there, brought in a bunch of mushrooms, and cleaned them, and fried them with bacon grease and fresh garlic. Well he didn't die, so we decided to give them a try! They were the BEST mushrooms in the world! But for some reason, those dead tree stumps don't grow them anymore! sniff......

Littlegoats.... my DH is not a traveler either! I don't think it is the hassle as much, as it is the thought of FLYING! UP THERE! Millions of miles above the GROUND! We are such home-bodies..... but I want to go see my DD & GS's in Orlando next Spring. I'll go with our other Daughter, if he doesn't want to make the trip. I LOVE Orlando, but really miss our little dog-face, as soon as we get out the door!

Spookie, I've heard of Locust trees, but I just remember Locusts! Those big things that were all OVER the place! THEY would eat every living plant thing around!

My DH was talking to our neighbor.... YOU know.... the Ex Navy Seal? With the Great Dane that think he's a kitten? He was carrying around a pouch, and showed DH what was inside. 2 SUGAR GLIDERS....I can't believe this huge hulk of a man has 2 little Sugar Gliders now! WTH? He said his X-girlfriend sold them to him for $400 !! Is that for real? I mean I can't imagine what you do with Sugar Gliders...! Aren't they like little furry bats? Or Hamsters with wings? I KNOW what they look like, but I don't know what you DO with them, except watch them sleep....! I can SEE the Great Dane, but not these little twerp bat things. They are cute.... I know!

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited October 2013

love that Chickie!!!  How is everyone?  Off of chemo this week also cause of the heart catherization, hate to get off the schedule..

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited October 2013

Sandy......message for you on a Thinking Out Loud.......hope it helps a little......hugs

• Chevyboy
    edited October 2013

CAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmi ?????????

Is she lost?

Good to hear from you too, Blondie! I know.... I love organizing, and schedules, and just keeping order.

So Chickers, did you even leave your house today? Ha!

Last night I made a BLT Pizza! It really was good..... Fresh pizza dough that I didn't make, diced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and then after I baked it I sprinkled fried bacon bits and cheddar cheese, and just put it back in to melt. I drizzled a little ranch dressing over the top...

Okay, that's your cooking lesson for the day.... just call me Martha.

• ChickaD
    ChickaD Member Posts: 971
    edited October 2013

Miss Chevy..I am a social butterfly this weekend!

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited October 2013

Now I know what poke green are - learn new things very day.

Hope you are having a good Sunday. Ours had a funny twist. While I was doing the Bible reading in church I saw a man enter, slightly oddly dressed for church. Realised he had blood streaming down his face. Some one went out to see what another person who appeared wanted. Man moved up the front behind where out minister was sitting. We had a video clip being shown at that time. I went and asked minister if he had seen person behind him, he didn't realise about the blood so told me to ask. I went and sat with the man and talked to him. He said he had had a theological difference of opinion with somebody. Do you want me to clean your face I ask. No but could I have some tissues to stop it getting on my shirt. OK I say and go out. Find out from J.. who had gone out earlier told me that the police where on the way because the man had been over at the church across the road and had caused a disturbance in their service. The man had said he was a Scottish Presbyterian and that was why he had come to us, great I had thought you won't like our theology then because we are one of the liberal/progressive parishes of the city. I went outside to see the police appearing over the road. Told J to make sure man doesn't leave and go and meet the police who tell me he had actually assaulted the Bishop - it is an Anglican Church over the road - Episcopalian in the US . Man appears. Good morning gentlemen he says holding his hand out to shake the officers hand I am ......... Guess what, I totally missed the sermon and every one was wondering what was going on. Anyway police took him away. I would think the man had some sort of mental illness. We get all sorts coming into our church even during services as we are in the city.

So that's my muddled story of Sunday. Went out for lunch and a drive then home to do some more genealogy - I research DH writes up.

Had better get dressed as I have to go up the road for a blood test - have a CT scan tomorrow.

• shellshine
    edited October 2013

Found this in last week's paper when I was cleaning up:

Blondiee - I'm headed out to the other posts to figure out what's going on with you.