Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Open Letter

Options

Comments

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 381
    edited September 2013
    Options

Bump

• belleeast
    belleeast Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thank you... I needed to read this today.

• colt45
    edited October 2013
    Options

Bump

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    edited October 2013
    Options

dont be fooled by colt. he is a freak. read some of his earlier posts. he needs to go away, and let his wife, if he has one, do her own posting here. i think he is just some kind of a freaky stalker.

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    edited October 2013
    Options

apparently, i have no proof of this, as when i go to his member page, i can only read several of his last few posts. but about a month ago, he was really disturbing to several women on another thread, and i am just disturbed by seeing him back here. i wonder if moderators would consider making everyone submit their pathology report as a condition to become part of this group. i think that i wouldnt put it beyond some men to be freaky lurkers here.

• colt45
    edited October 2013
    Options

Bump

• colt45
    edited December 2013
    Options

Bump

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited December 2013
    Options

@Colt45, that was lovely, thanks so much.

My hubby listens to public radio at work.  To the Best of our Knowledge had a story about the Scar Project.  He called me, all choked up, to tell me how much he loves and admires me.  It was very touching.  What a great support.  We need men like you.  Hope you and your wife are doing well.  ♥

• Michele2013
    Michele2013 Member Posts: 232
    edited April 2014
    Options

bump

• faerywings
    faerywings Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2014
    Options

I am just seeing this today and what a beautiful post, Colt. I am blessed in so many ways to have a very supportive family and friends. I might not have a lot in the material aspects of life, no fancy vacations or designers clothes, even grocery shopping is a difficult due to a very tight budget. But when you see a post like this, it makes all of that disappear.  

I hope that you and your wife and girls are doing great!

• colt45
    edited June 2014
    Options

Bump

• RaiderGirl
    RaiderGirl Member Posts: 235
    edited July 2014
    Options

Im brand new here. I have not posted anything about me (yet). But I had to reply to your post.

I hope you know just how perfect your letter is .A moment of compassion even from a stranger can matter deeply to a person in emotional pain.

Your words took my breath away.

• Srh242
    Srh242 Member Posts: 139
    edited July 2014
    Options

bump

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited July 2014
    Options

has anyone heard from Colt lately? I often think of him, his posts were so heartfelt

• colt45
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi, Lily.  Though I post sparingly and am here less, I still lurk to check in on the friends I made.  You are 1 such friend, always kind and supportive.  Thank you for that.  My wife is doing well.  I do think about you, too, and so many of the other great ladies here.  I answer PMs as I receive them and I hope I do help some folks like so many here helped me (to cope and better support my wife).  All positive things to you.  So nice to touch base.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited July 2014
    Options

Colt that was so beautiful I want to print it out where I can read it often...u r a special man

• colt45
    edited September 2014
    Options

Bump

• Luvmydobies
    Luvmydobies Member Posts: 476
    edited September 2014
    Options

God bless you Colt! Your wife is a very blessed woman to have such a loving and caring man. I'm sorry I just came across this post. I'm so glad that I did. I have a great hubby and he was wonderful during treatment however he just can't understand why I still worry about aches and pains and I worry when I just don't feel right. I know my anxiety and stress contribute to a lot of my not feeling right though. Sometimes I just want him to hug me and tell me it's ok instead of getting frustrated when I'm crying. He eventually comes around but it's when I'm in the moment that I need him to hold me. He says he's just trying to push me to overcome my fears. I still wouldn't trade him for the world. I know this isn't easy for him either.

Anyway, thanks for beautiful words. I feel like I just received a hug from a very genuine friend even though we don't know each other. So I'm sending a hug back to you and your wife. Glad she's doing well! 

• colt45
    edited September 2014
    Options

Love going out to Blondiex46 and Luvmydobies... and all the ladies here.  

I bump this post every so often in case it gets buried.

I think we men are just scared.  We're scared for you because we love you and we're scared for us because we need you.

Desperately.

We don't always show how we feel.  I dunno.  Maybe sometimes we can't.  Can't because we aren't good at it.  Can't because we're afraid to try....because it might cause us to just fall apart.

I suspect that some men are barely keeping it together and can't really get themselves to stare this in the face-----not because we don't believe you'll be okay... but because even the thought that something dares to threaten you is too much to bear. It's not something we can fix.  In many, many cases you'll be fine despite this.  But it just exposes us to our utter lack of power in this instance and that frightens and angers us.

What is left is merely to hold, hug and support.  And I pray we all get better at that for no other reason than you need us to.

We love you.  Our means of delivering that message is often clumsy and inadequate-----but if there was some machine you could hook up to us that showed the burning desire we have that everything gets better for you-----you'd see our that our hearts are beating FOR you.  They always have.  Always will.

I pray you all get that needed warmth.

You amazing, beautiful people deserve it.

Love to you all.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited September 2014
    Options

Colt ditto

U are so good with words, men would love 4 u to relay their feellings I am sure, u say things so eloquently.  Thank u, what a wonderful man u r

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited September 2014
    Options

colt i so wish you would run a cancer partners workshop as you are so empathic and eloquent!

Great to hear from you x

• Srh242
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thank you Colt. Great words. I

• colt45
    edited October 2014
    Options

Bump

• colt45
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Bump
  • Srh242
    edited December 2014
    Options

bump

• colt45
    edited January 2015
    Options

Bump

• songbird68
    songbird68 Member Posts: 127
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi Colt, thank you for this beautiful letter:)

Hope all is well for you both

x x

• Sabel
    Sabel Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2015
    Options

Beautiful letter...

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited January 2015
    Options

Ditto

• KJE54
    KJE54 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options

Thank you, I have tears in my eyes from reading your letter. Twenty six years ago I was diagnosed and my husband left my two children and myself when I was diagnosed. I prayed to survive for my kids and am blessed - they are both married now with children. Now I've been diagnosed with two new breast cancers and hubby #2 left four days before this diagnosis. How wonderful to hear your love for your wife and her courage! This challenge opens up friendships and family relationships - so many blessings I cannot count! I know I can either have a pity party or a celebration of life! God bless everyone for your honest heartfelt stories, you are never alone!