Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Open Letter

Options

Comments

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 381
    edited July 2017
    Options

Illimae, I am very happy to know that you have the right guy standing there with you. Warmest wishes to you.

• colt45
    edited July 2017
    Options

Honeybeaw,

Thank you for bumping the thread. I like to keep it easy to spot for the new folks who come here looking for support. You help with that. Once again, a kind soul does something for others here. Bless you.

• colt45
    edited August 2017
    Options

Bump

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited August 2017
    Options

Colt

I do think this is a great post and it gave me so much hope and support when first dx, so I think it needs to stay out front for all to see

• colt45
    edited August 2017
    Options

HoneyBeaw,

I wrote it for you. And so many others.

• Monalisa17
    Monalisa17 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    Options

This almost made me cry. What a lucky woman to have this type of guy. Thanks so much.

• colt45
    edited September 2017
    Options

Bump

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited October 2017
    Options

Bump

• HoneyBeaw
    edited October 2017
    Options

Bumping

• colt45
    edited November 2017
    Options

bump

• colt45
    edited December 2017
    Options

Bump

• Georgia1
    Georgia1 Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thank you Colt! Beautiful words.

• Pharmgirl69
    Pharmgirl69 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    Options

I'm new here and recently diagnosed. Thank you for the bump. Thank you colt for those words you wrote. Those words brought a tear to my eye. Thank you. I hope this post continues to be bumped for many more years to come.

• HoneyBeaw
    edited December 2017
    Options

Bumping

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thank you, Colt, for this lovely post. And for still being here years later to give it a bump. You and your wife are fortunate indeed to have one another.

I am lucky enough to have a very supportive husband and a few close friends who are helping me get through this. But I'm not sure any of them would take the initiative to join a message board on my behalf, let alone construct such a touching and eloquent tribute.

I hope you, your wife and family are all well and have a wonderful holiday season and a healthy, happy New Year.

• colt45
    edited December 2017
    Options

Magari, Pharmgirl69, Georgia1,

All blessings of strength to you as you take care of business 1 day at a time, recover and move forward to better days.

HoneyBeaw,

Thanks for being vigilant in bumping this thread. You never know who needs to see it or when. The closer to the top of the stack it is, the more likely our new friends will see it.

• colt45
    edited January 2018
    Options

Bump

• HoneyBeaw
    edited January 2018
    Options

Bumping

• PVM
    PVM Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2018
    Options

Beautiful & touching, brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for writing something so beautiful. Wishing your wife continued healing. God bless you both, as well as all the beautiful warriors out there like me fighting a battle we did not pick but shall win!!!!

• colt45
    edited January 2018
    Options

PVM,

Blessings of strength and healing to you

• colt45
    edited February 2018
    Options

Bump

• Georgia1
    Georgia1 Member Posts: 188
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thank you Colt! Hope more women see this.

• colt45
    edited March 2018
    Options

Bump

• colt45
    edited April 2018
    Options

Bump

• HoneyBeaw
    edited April 2018
    Options

Bumping...........But might add that in March I was 1 year from my last Chemo Treatment and doing well............On to another 20

• colt45
    edited April 2018
    Options

HoneyBeaw,

Great news! Another milestone achieved on your road to recovery. Keep moving forward.

• Warrior2018
    Warrior2018 Member Posts: 212
    edited April 2018
    Options

This brought on the tears. Admittly that happens offten with all these crazy hormones! But the lens through which your see your wife, is truly one of grace and beauty. I'm also one of the lucky ones that has supportive family and friends but my DH isn't as eloquent. We sometimes fight because he doesn't know or predict my needs (how could he!) or we argue because he wants to do more for me and I'm trying to be strong and do it all, prove to myself that I'm stronger because of all this. But seeing your words and the fact that they are kept in the forefront, it is just the sweetest and will always be a reminder to me to not take any of this craziness, pain, love, struggle, confusion and support for granted. Thank you for writing this.

• colt45
    edited May 2018
    Options

Warrior2018,

This is cut and pasted from a previous reply I made in this thread. I wanted to share it with you because I hear what you’re saying about the struggles with your husband and I might understand what he is trying to deal with at least on some level (though I do not pretend to know precisely what anyone else is going through). Anyway, here goes:

“I bump this post every so often in case it gets buried.

I think we men are just scared. We're scared for you because we love you and we're scared for us because we need you.

Desperately.

We don't always show how we feel. I dunno. Maybe sometimes we can't. Can't because we aren't good at it. Can't because we're afraid to try....because it might cause us to just fall apart.

I suspect that some men are barely keeping it together and can't really get themselves to stare this in the face-----not because we don't believe you'll be okay... but because even the thought that something dares to threaten you is too much to bear. It's not something we can fix. In many, many cases you'll be fine despite this. But it just exposes us to our utter lack of power in this instance and that frightens and angers us.

What is left is merely to hold, hug and support. And I pray we all get better at that for no other reason than you need us to.

We love you. Our means of delivering that message is often clumsy and inadequate-----but if there was some machine you could hook up to us that showed the burning desire we have that everything gets better for you-----you'd see our that our hearts are beating FOR you. They always have. Always will.

I pray you all get that needed warmth.

You amazing, beautiful people deserve it.

Love to you all.”

God bless you in your recovery as you move on to better times.

• HoneyBeaw
    edited May 2018
    Options

Well Said,Colt

I to think that is the case with many loved one when facing something horrible happening to someone you love .

• ThreeC
    ThreeC Member Posts: 70
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hello All, This is my first visit to this topic. How wonderful to read on Mother's Day.

Colt- your initial letter was simply eloquent. Every time I venture to this site, I have a little recharge of my batteries. There are so many topics and areas of support.

When we get on the breast cancer train it feels like it's going to fly off the rails....So much is thrown at us, our husbands or wives, our children...even those who are adult children. Then there are the times it seems like the train is almost stopped while we wait, watch & worry. We don't mean to exclude our loved ones but it is easy to not pay attention to the way this train ride effects all our relationships. My husband has been at my side throughout this whole trip. I know there days my crazy hormones or lack of, change my normal personality. I also know it is hard at times to be able to share enough that others can understand. There are also times I don't want to share. I want the other me, the one just going through daily life, but not riding this crazy train. I do believe it is harder at times to be the one not physically ill, wanting to help and not knowing how. All any of us can do is our best...

Thanks for your support to all on this journey.