Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• Hope99
    Hope99 Member Posts: 120
    edited March 2018

hi ladies

now I'm in Taxotere, forth treatment after FEC-T protocols, DID you hear someone feel the tumour become bigger with taxotere? I feel like it's become big and circle, too much pain and the first time I watch my nipple goes inside due to change in the tumour location! or maybe new tumour is appearing! I'm afraid sisters, tomorrow my appointment with the doctor to see me and I will told him all history. did anyone can explain the possibility of tumour to grow more?

• jaymeb
    jaymeb Member Posts: 241
    edited March 2018
    Hi Ladies

Just lurking on this thread to see how everyone is? Hope, I wish I could answer your question, although I didn't have chemo. From what I've heard from others about chemo, anything can happen. I feel you'll be fine. Please let us know what your MO tells you.
  • ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,581
    edited March 2018

Hope, I don't know either. I think that is a 'doctor' question. Let us know what you find out. Sending a hug your way.

I am good. I just got back from a week's vacation in Florida with 3 old friends (we started teaching together in 1975 and still get together once or twice a year). I spent today unpacking, going through mail and grocery shopping as the weather is forecasting some nasty weather coming in sometime tomorrow and lasting for a couple days. I will have to think about palm trees and ocean waves as I shovel snow and more snow!

• jaymeb
    edited March 2018
    Hey Ruth

Still wide awake. That's great you still get together every year with your teacher friends after so many years. How long have you been retired from teaching? Have you always taught in a public, or private school? Or both?

As you know, so much has changed in the school systems over years. Would you teach now in this day, and time? I know at least four women who stopped teaching only after several years. I cannot believe some of the stories. I cannot believe how students can display so much disrespect to their teachers. It's awful!!!! In my day, we were taught to respect authority from our teachers as well as our elders.

We were to say ma'am, and sir. No ifs, ands, or but's. I've always been more partial to private schools, as my daughter went to Catholic school from pre-school to 8th grade. She is now a freshman in a big public school. She loves it, and is doing very well. It took me awhile, but I adapted. I do see both pros and cons in public and private schools. I do feel our Catholic school gave her a good foundation.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think of our generation of kids now, and the schools overall? Although Reece has a good head on her shoulders, I worry all the time. I've been wanting to ask you for awhile your opinion? I hope I'm not putting you on the spot. I welcome any words of advice and wisdom.
  • ruthbru
    edited March 2018

Hi Jay, hits is my 5th year of being retired. I taught middle school special education for 38 years, had a 7th grade advisee group every year and coached Pom Pon Girls for the first 17 years of my career. I still do some subbing at my old school, not because I have to do it for the money, but because I still love the kids and the school atmosphere. What I love the most about subbing is that I do get to hang out with the kids and teach without all the endless paperwork, meetings and being a political football.

Kids have a lot more pressure and baggage today and you do have to get them to buy into what you're doing. They just aren't going to do stuff because you tell them (which is both good and bad, I guess); but I know most of the tricks of the trade so haven't really had too many discipline problems. I love kids.....just look at what the Florida kids have done in the aftermath of the shooting at their school. Amazing, poised, articulate and they give me hope for the future.

My son went to Catholic school from pre-school through 6th grade and I, too, felt that it gave him a great foundation. If your daughter loves school, gets involved in activities that keep her busy & hanging out with kids who share her same interests, and you go to the conferences, volunteer to a a chaperone on the band trip or make cookies for the soccer team (or whatever that keeps you involved with her school career), and welcome her friends into your home.....she will do fine, and you will too. Smile

• opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2018

Howdy all, I let the month get away from me without stopping in. I’m prepping for BMX and DIEP surgery happening in about 48 hours. Feeling nervous and anxious but at the same time hopeful and positive.

I am actually looking forward to being out of the office for at leaast 6 weeks. I wouldn’t suggest having cancer to get time off...but I’m certainly going to try to relax and release during my recovery.

Got my firestick all lined up with movies and my kindle overloaded with books. My Mom and best friend are coming to vosit for a couple weeks so I’ll try to enjoy them before they both start to get on my last nerve.

Hope everyone is doing well as they can through treatments, doctors appts and life in general.

Peace and blessings

• ruthbru
    edited March 2018

Good luck, Opt4. Let us know how it goes.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited March 2018

Good luck Opt4Life! Hope you have a speedy recovery and find comfort during your healing.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited March 2018

Best wishes, Opt!! Checking in. All is good for me. I am glad you enjoyed your trip, Ruth.

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited March 2018

Good luck opt4life. Make sure you get up walking as soon as possible! Take the pain meds on time to keep ahead of discomfort. Although my pain was taken care of with Tylenol 3s

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited March 2018

Good luck Opt4life. Praying everything goes smoothly. My mom and sisters were great supporters last year. My hubby was incredible, and kids (teen/young adults) kept life a little normal. Don't be afraid to ask them for anything you need and don't feel bad about it. They want to help. My mom insisted on spending the night on my couch after my chemo treatments. That was a little weird for me but I saw her concern and as a mom I understood. It worked out great. She is a night owl and was good company when I was wide awake from steroids. She also cooked all my favorite meals so that was a bonus for all of us! She stopped staying with meduring the taxol portion when she saw I was doing well.

I had my hystoscopy today. Pretty uneventful and I feel pretty normal. No cramping, minor bleeding, and a slight headache from the anesthesia but no major issues. Gyn said things looked good but I don't really remember the conversation or getting dressed for that matter. Lol. Results in about a week.

• jaymeb
    edited March 2018

Opt4Life

Saying prayers for you. It looks like you're prepared for activities to keep you busy. That's what I did, binge watched on my television, mostly IPad. My daughter showed me on the technical stuff. Although it was great to have company right after my mascectomy, it wore me out. Did any of you ladies feel overwhelmed at times by friends, loved ones, etc? Opt, please get as much rest as you can. I'm recuperating from reconstruction, and it wears me out. Do ask for help, my loved ones, and friends were my saving grace. I'll know you'll be fine. Please post as soon as your ready to let us know how your procedure went.

• jaymeb
    edited March 2018
    Ruthbru

Thank you so much for responding, and I feel much better. She does keep busy with Girl Scouts, helps teach Faith Formation on Sundays, different sports as well. She's an A student in all honors classes, however, she has no interest in any academic, or other clubs I think would be beneficial to her.

When she was five, I insisted she play the piano. She liked it at first, then got tired of practicing. I would put a timer everyday for 30 min on the piano. She was doing well, then second grade, no more. Really bothered me. I wish more kids would appreciate music.

Ruth, here I go again, but do you ever think it's ok to insist a child stick with anything that they don't want to do? Even, when you think it's good for them in the long run? Colleges look for being well rounded, as well as good grades, SAT and ACT scores. Not sure if the ACT's are in every state?

I wanted to ask your opinion , Ruth on these freshman, and sophomores. Do you think they should start taking the PSAT as early as they can? Not sure how theses important tests work in all states. I just want her prepared to get in the colleges she chooses. I'm probably getting way ahead of myself, but I would like to hear what you have to say, Ruth. Hope I'm not bugging you. Oh yeah, I can't believe how much college costs are soaring😳😳😳😳.

If you don't mind me asking, how many kids do you have? Maybe I'm worrying about this too soon. IDK. Sighhhh.
  • ruthbru
    edited March 2018

Jay, I will PM you with my thoughts (in case other people aren't as interested in kids stuff as we are. Smile)

• jaymeb
    edited March 2018

Ok, thanks Ruth

• opt4life
    edited March 2018

Good day, in recovery but being moved from ICU shortly. Pain being managed well now after switch from morphine to oxy.

PS says all went well and flaps look good. Next up, lunch (after 40 hours w/o food) and a walk about the halls. I’m skeptical about that cause legs feel like jelly still.

All in all feeling okay.

Peace and blessings

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited March 2018

Awesome Opt4Life! Continued healing!

• ruthbru
    edited March 2018

Drink lots of fluids & move around as much as you can handle.

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited March 2018

Opt4life-Great to hear you are moving around. Enjoy your walk. Keep moving.

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited March 2018

Awesome opt4life. Yes try walking daily! Keep ahead of the pain and drink lots of fluids

• jaymeb
    edited March 2018
    Hi Ladies

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I'm still recuperating from my exchange, and reconstruction. Today was exactly two weeks ago, and I feel much better. The itching was awful, now that has subsided.

Opt4life

Glad your surgery went well. How are you feeling? Are you at home yet? When you're feeling better, I wanted to ask you a few questions about your surgery. Get plenty of rest, and as these ladies have said, fluids, fluids, and more fluids.
  • opt4life
    edited March 2018

Hey Jay and everyone, I'm home actually—checked out Saturday. Only taking valium, a blood thinner and anti-biotic. Valium makes me a bit sleepy so a 2 or 3 hour nap is required.

I started teleworking a little bit today. My boss, a great person, says do as much or as little as I want...no pressure. So I answered some easy questions via email, set-in on a Skype meeting (that really didn't need me) and chatted with some colleagues about a new project they’retrying to sell to our organization's leadership. That was my 'workday' today.

I did not and will not do anything that requires in-depth thought, research, stress, etc. Everything can await my return to the office in 6 weeks.

I'm in mild discomfort, drain is leaking a bit, and I am still doing the bent over shuffle to go to the frdige, bathroom, etc, Have appointments with PS and BS tomorrow and then I am going to a restaurant with my dress full of drains and all and having a nice lunch with my Mom and best friend.

All things considered feeling okay.

Everyone,peace and blessings

• ruthbru
    edited March 2018

Glad you surgery girls are feeling better. I, happily, have no medical news to report. I have subbed almost every day since I got back from Florida, but don't feel too sorry for me. Next week, DH and I take off for 10 days in Arizona. Hopefully it will finally be spring by the time we get back to N.D.

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    edited March 2018
    Ruth, glad you are subbing to pay for all these trips! I am jealous. Have started walking again now that the snow is almost gone. 56 today! Had a clean colonoscopy. Yay! Have to go every 5 years since I have had polyps in the past and had an uncle who passed from colon cancer. Also went for wellness check that was fine and now I don’t have another appt. until summer. Happy almost spring!
  • ruthbru
    edited March 2018

Congratulations, Peregrine. I do have some good medical news to share too as I 'passed' my annual mammogram (yea and whew).

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited March 2018

Wooo hooo!! Congrats on the clean results ladies!!

• helplesslyhoping
    helplesslyhoping Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2018

It has been a while since I posted. I was diagnosed with IIB at age 38 and will be 42 in a few months.

My chemo, radiation, and surgery were successful. I take arimidex now and am *not* a fan, but it is better than recurrence.

I do struggle with anxiety, depression, and fatigue related to the med. I also have a lot of muscle weakness, fragility, and skin issues locally due to the rads.

That being said, I am thankful to be here each day.

Hope all of you are well.

• Nas
    Nas Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2018

joined the club 3 months ago at age 38, still in shock.....

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited March 2018

Welcome Nas. So sorry you have to join the club. I will be 2 full years on Aromasin/exemestane in April. I started anastrozole in October of 2015 but within a few months my SE's were off the charts. Exemestane has been much easier to tolerate. Almost to the half way point of 5 years on these meds. Congratulations to Ruth and clear colonoscopy for Peregrine!

• jaymeb
    edited March 2018
    Hi helplesslyh

Like you, I struggle with anxiety, and depression. I was diagnosed last Feb of 2017. I didn't have chemo due to a low onco score, however I did have radiation. I've been on tamoxifen almost a year, and have fatigue as well. After radiation is when I was at my lowest, and afraid of reoccurrence. I was told each day would get better the further out I get. I didn't believe it at first, but as time went on, I'm at a much better place. I see you did all treatments, which should give you some piece of mind. And you're right, like you, I'm thankful for each day. Being on these threads have been a big help as well. As we know, even with all the support of our loved ones, nobody truly understands but we who have gone through it. Vent anytime you want. We do understand.