Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• Nas
    Nas Member Posts: 76
    edited April 2018

But my question is that how can we donate blood if doctors says we may have cancer cells lurking around?????? How is it possible???

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,581
    edited April 2018

This is from the American Cancer Society (notice that if you've had a blood cancer, like leukemia, then you never can donate because the cancer is of the blood itself, not possibly being carried by the bloodstream):

Some people who have had cancer are not allowed to donate blood for a certain length of time after treatment. This is done partly to protect the donor, but it may also add an extra margin of safety for the person who receives the blood. If you aren't sure if you are well enough to give blood, talk with your cancer care team before you try to donate.

While cancer has very rarely been transmitted through transplants of solid organs such as kidneys, there have been no reports of cancer transmission by blood transfusion. To check this, a group of researchers looked back in time at people who had received blood from donors who had developed cancer within 5 years of giving the blood. They found no increased cancer risk in those who got blood from those who were found to have cancer soon after donating.

This suggests that the chance of getting cancer from a blood donor with cancer is extremely small, if it exists at all. Even if cancer cells were present in donated blood, the immune system of the person getting the blood would destroy the cells. A possible exception might be in transfusion recipients with weakened immune systems, who might not be able to fight off the cancer cells. Because of this slight possibility, people whose cancer is thought to be growing or spreading are not allowed to donate blood for other people.

You cannot donate blood for other people if:

• You are being treated for cancer
    • Your cancer is spreading or has come back
    • You have had leukemia or lymphoma as an adult (including Hodgkin's Disease)
    • You have ever had Kaposi sarcoma

Different blood collection centers may have slightly different standards for allowing cancer survivors to donate. For example, the American Red Cross allows most people who have had cancer to donate if the cancer was treated at least 1 year ago and the cancer has not come back. (The time can vary at different blood centers.)

Potential donors whose cancers had not spread (in situ cancers) and required no further treatment besides surgery to remove the cancer may need to wait only until they've healed from their surgery and feel well again to donate blood.

If you have questions about whether you can donate, please contact the blood collecting center in your community.

• Nas
    edited April 2018

ruth,

Thanks for the information, isn’t it kind of good news that good immune system can fight cancer cells?? I take it as a hope, if someone else body with good immune system can fight cancer cells that I may transported to him/ her by blood donation, my immune system can do it as well..

• ruthbru
    edited April 2018

That is true, Nas! Another reason to exercise, eat right, get enough sleep, get recommended vaccinations etc. etc.... all the things that help build up the immune system

• opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2018

Happy Monday! First day back at work after 7 weeks and so far so good today. I'm a little tired but I hit the 5:30 am Zumba class so that is the more likely culprit. Since I have been teleworking the last month, I really haven't had to play too much catch-up today and that has been wonderful. I'm still sore but feel like at this point I am back to about 90% in terms of movement. 

Only problem is I got my PSs bill for my DIEP and it really wasn't pretty. Waiting to hear back from my insurance company about why they didn't cover more.

Hope you all are well

• ruthbru
    edited April 2018

I'm good. I have been busy subbing (it's spring so lots of teachers are missing for coaching etc.) and have some house repair/remodeling projects that I need to get started on ASAP. Right now I have a pile of mail on the kitchen table that I HAVE to get done before I can hang out the computer.....so, here goes!

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited April 2018

Just wanted to take a minute to say "Thank You" to all the wonderful ladies who held my hand over the last 5 years... this site was a lifesaver for me a long time ago!

Ruth, it's so great to see you supporting SO many people here. You are truly special and such a loving, helpful person! Your advice and guidance was useful to me and to so many - thank you for all your support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nisa, my surgery sister, thank you for starting this thread! I am so glad I found this safe place to share what I was feeling, without judgment and was provided with such incredible support!!

It's hard to believe 5 years have passed... it seems like a lifetime ago and at times, it feels like just yesterday. This is the 1st of what I hope to be MANY more milestones! Although I do not spend as much time as I used to here, I do try to read and catch up as much as possible. There are so many newbies... which is disheartening - but it's nice they are able to have this safe place - that I hope helps them as much as it did me, in their time of need.

I was up way before my alarm today and spent a little time reflecting on the last 5 years - a lot I don't fully remember. It was weird, in the shower was when I had my mini melt down this morning. It was like a flash back to the morning of my surgery and just a rush of uncontrollable tears. It was just like that morning 5 years ago... but today it felt "cleansing". I can't believe how blessed I have been over the last 5 years and how thankful I am for what I have experienced. Life is different now - you really don't sweat the small stuff and live for today. I have been able to travel to some places I never thought I would, I married the most incredible man who has been by my side through all of this, watched both my kids graduate college, was there for my daughters wedding and am now an all too young grandma! Life is good!!

Side note.... funny, we have a dove nest in our front evergreen that I have been stalking/spying on for the last several weeks - and the babies left the nest this morning for the 1st time!!!!! The weeks I spent home recovering, the birds in my yard really made the time pass. I spent hours just sitting outside feeding them and watching them maneuver around the yard - they were a huge part of my healing process. I thought it was a nice coincidence the babies left on my anniversary day :)

We will never forget what we have lived through and it will always be a part of our lives, even when others think it should be past us or we should move on - you never move on - life is different...it's an experience that has taught me so much. You don't realize how fragile life is until you face this. The experience has made me a different person - one who travels more, one who doesn't want to deal with bullsh*%, one who spends time doing the things I want to do with the people I want to do them with, I enjoy every sunrise and sunset and love watching the birds - I like the person I have become, even though others say I have changed, I know I have changed for the better!

Thanks for listening!!! Wishing everyone in active treatment all the best! Wishing the "veterans" many, many happy and healthy years to come!!!!!!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008
    edited April 2018

mjs, happy cancerversary! What a great, uplifting post!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2018

Congratulations, mjs!!!!!! So sweet about the baby birds.....I am thinking their leaving was NOT a coincidence......

I am glad if I was able to help you. When I was first diagnosed I saw a plaque which read, "It is what it is. It becomes what you make it." So I decided helping others out was one way I could MAKE something good come out of my experience.

What I think happens is, if you do go on and really live your life; that BC becomes part of your story and you never forget it but, much like childbirth, you remember that it was very painful, but you don't remember the pain itself.

I, too, have been more brave, tried new things I never would have tried, traveled placed I never would have gone, become friends with people (here and in 'real life') that I would have never known under any other circumstances. So the experience has actually made my life richer (something I never, ever, ever would have believed when I was going through it). I also am so, so, so grateful for every day. More time with family, friends, and I am especially thrilled to have been around to see my son graduate from high school, college, get a good job, buy a house etc. etc. and be a part of that all (now if only he'd get married and give me some grandchildren Happy). And I am so grateful for my good health and really work on keeping it that way.

I cry quite often, but they are happy tears. After a good checkup, when I hear a beautiful song, when I'm enjoying nature, or watching a sentimental commercial on TV. Heck, I almost cried during an exercise class the other day. Just because I was so happy to be alive, well, and able to do whatever I wanted!

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited April 2018

Ruth - thanks again! You are an inspiration!!! It’s funny I was never really “soft” until all of this... I find myself way more emotional (not at all a bad thing) and I did buy stock in kleenex since LOL. I guess soft is not the right word but I hope you get it... I know I am far more sentimental now too - great qualities if you ask me!

Keep doing what you are doing Ruth! Wishing you many happy and healthy milestones and hope you get that grand baby soon!!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2018

Well, he has a girl who's a friend, maybe a girlfriend (who can tell nowadays?), so maybe there's hope...... Loopy

• ruthbru
    edited April 2018

This kind of goes with our discussion:

• ruthbru
    edited April 2018

One more:

• opt4life
    edited May 2018

mjs, here is to many more yers of good health. All, have a great weekend

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited April 2018

mjsgumbas- congratulations on your 5 year cancer anniversary.

• opt4life
    edited April 2018

Well, not so great start to my week. Just had a conf call with my MO and my oncotype score came back high unexpectedly and so she wants me to do chemo again—Gemzar and Xeloda this time.

Of course my first reaction is absolutely not BUT how can I ignore the science that this will bring down my risk of distant recurrence.

This means a new port and possible hair loss...though I'm told Gemzar isn't likelyto cause it.

Of course, my MO gave me the standard language that it's my choice and I could just go with Xeloda alone which is a pill but the MO recommendation (and that of her colleagues which my case was presented to) is that I do both Gemzar and Xeloda today to head off distant metastasis.

Doesn't sound like much of a choice does it?

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited April 2018

That’s a very interesting question - they want you to do chemo again because your score is high but you haven’t metasticized? You could go to the Stage IV questions topic, or start your own topic. There is a topic on mucinous BC. Your question deserves more research.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

Opt, yuck, not what you wanted to hear, but I would totally go with the science. You want to prevent it from ever getting to the point of Stage IV. Hugs! Heart

• opt4life
    edited May 2018

Ruth, you are absolutely right. I've tried to come up with every excuse in the book today to not get a port installed next week but the hospital apparently has wide open availability for me to get a mediport placed. Grrr

So yes begrudginglygoing with the science and praying chemo keeps the beast at bay.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

How many rounds are they recommending? Can you do them dose dense with Neulasta shots to get it over with quicker?

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited May 2018

Hi ladies, after being on Aromasin for 10 months, I finally had a bone density test yesterday. The result was not what I expected - I have some osteopenia ... already! Not sure if prolia or zometa will be next.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

Are you doing weight bearing exercises every day? Taking Calcium plus Vitamin D supplements? Eating enough dairy and dark leafy vegetables? You may be able to counter mild osteopenia with natural remedies (a serving of dried plums....prunes.....a day can actually build bones).

• stephilosphy00
    edited May 2018

yes, seems like I did all the right thing, I walk at least 4 hours per day due to my job, Vitamin D level is at round 50 when I checked last time.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

Drats!

• Nas
    edited May 2018

Stephi,

Try to eat kale, it has same amount if Calci as milk, I eat it with everything, even im my breakfast sandwich ... my MO told me I can eat dairy with no concernbut Im a bit careful with that and try to get more kale instead if dairy.

• stephilosphy00
    edited May 2018

I have organic baby kale and spinach smoothie every other day! I try to avoid all the dairy because I am also concerned its safety for somebody like us. I only take calcium 800 mg per day, I guess it is not enough? I used to take 1200 mg but it made my blood calcium go sky high. Hmmm

• MarlaM
    MarlaM Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2018

I'm been on the forum now for about a month, but just now found this topic. Just wanted to say hi and thanks to all of you who have posted. It's so helpful to hear from others who have gone through this and from those who are going through it now.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2018

Welcome, Marla!

• jaymeb
    jaymeb Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2018
    Hi Ladies

I've been reading these recent posts.

Opt

I agree with Ruth. I would go with the MO. If I had a high onco score, I would have definitely done chemo. Don't want regrets later. If I'm not mistaken, are you back at work?

Ruth

Thanks for sharing info about giving blood. Our church has blood drives, and my daughter's Girl Scout troop always helps assist. Well, I was sure I couldn't give blood due to cancer history. I read your info, checked with my best friend who's a nurse, and confirmed I can give blood. Yayyyyyy👍👍👍😢

Nas

You're right about kale. I love it. You seem well. How are you feeling?

Hi Marla

Welcome. These threads are great, and you have a wonderful support system. Post anything you want. Vent anytime. We're here for you.
  • Nas
    edited May 2018

Tnx jaymeb, I think the news about blood is a great news and at the same time surprising, it doesnt make any sense with metastasis scenario.... when I asked my MO about chemo as preventative policy, I asked him what was the difference between me and normal person as we all have bad cells all our lives lurking around, why not everyone taking chemo once a year as preventage, he told me normal person has precancerous cells but once you are diagnosed with cancer you may have cacerous. cells in your blood. But how can we transfer blood with no issues????that doesnt make sense to me..........