Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage 2 Sisters Club

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,594
    edited December 2013

Hello, I have been very busy with 'stuff'. I have been subbing a lot, taking some exercise classes, tonight I sang 'The Messiah' with a combined community school choir & orchestra, which was super fun! I am having company for Christmas (which I have not started getting ready for at all yet.....yikes!).

JDB, retail therapy is always excellent. Yes, I think being done around the holidays is a good thing, as things are going on & you don't have that much time to 'dwell'.

• Headeast
    Headeast Member Posts: 393
    edited December 2013

Nisavilla, you made me laugh! The same has happened to me when I hugged a friend this past weekend and I felt those hard balls i front of me. I am sure she felt the same way or worse! Lol! Oh well...

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited December 2013

Ruth, I've been subbing a little bit also. Plus, yesterday I bought myself a new sewing machine, Baby Lock Sophia! First new sewing machine in 20 years. I'm so excited that it embroiders. Can't wait to get started on my first project! So, I may not be around the boards too much for awhile. Busy sewing!

Nerdy

• jcolford
    jcolford Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2013

I have been following along but not posting much. With being back to work full time I find that by the end of the day I am completely exhausted and can barely keep my eyes open to keep up on all of the threads that I have been following. I finally got my appointment to meet with a plastic surgeon for February 27th and it is in another town so it looks like a road trip for me right in the middle of our Canadian winter. I was told that here in Atlantic Canada it can be up to 3 years for recon after mastectomy so I guess being BRCA1 pushes me more to the front of the pack. Hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to the coming holidays.

Cheers!

• atlbraves
    atlbraves Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2013

Yep, I've been lurking and reading, too.

Got through Round 1 of chemo, started losing my hair in earnest yesterday, and have Round 2 on Friday.

There is probably no "good" time to do treatment, but this time of year seems especially taxing with the holidays, winter weather, short days, etc.  I'm done for by 5 p.m.  Sheesh!

I hope everyone is doing well!

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited December 2013

good job atlbraves on getting your chemo underway. True there is no "good" time. Hang in there, chemo does eventually come to an end. It's just a necessary evil we have all had to endure.  Take care of yourself and keep us posted:)

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

The 'good' thing about doing it now is you will be done before it gets nice. You won't have to waste the nice summer weather feeling BLAH!

• Headeast
    edited December 2013

Ruthbru, I agree. I thought about that when I started chemo and now I am done and after surgeries and all it should be right before summer. 

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

Are you doing dose dense every two weeks?

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited December 2013

Awww so sweet to hear/read updates.  One girl just done with chemo and one starting out. Oh my dear, the hair thing was a killer for me. I hope you take this change with more wisdom that I did.  Yes winter chemo sounds better than summer. 

I had my pre-op today and am set for transfer on 12/27.  Can't wait to sleep of my tummy again! 

Hugs to all and extra ones for Headeast and Altgraves. May SEs be as doable as possible.

• NisaVilla
    edited December 2013

Jcolford - Meant to ask why the delay in recon in Canada?  Glad you don't have to wait as long. Is Atlantic Canada same as French Canada or has specific meaning?  We visited in August 2012 and loved it. Practiced my 20 French words and came back with 25 :)

• novagirl
    novagirl Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2013

Hi everyone! I'm stage IIB and would love to join this thread too. I just finished chemo on December 13th then it's off to rads sometime early next year. Wishing everyone a happy holiday season! 

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

Welcome, Nova!

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited December 2013

Welcome Nova!  Great group of ladies (and 1 hubby) here!!!

• NisaVilla
    edited December 2013

Welcome Nova!  Love your name. Some of us are recent graduates from chemo. Hope all went well for you, and that SEs go away and away soon!

• JDB53
    JDB53 Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2013

Good Morning Ladies!  Welcome Nova! 

Ok, so I just got off the phone with my wife, Mary Alice.  She just finished her last Rad treatment! They gave her a necklace. Hugs all around from the techs. The people at Morristown Oncology are wonderful!  Nova, Rads went well for her, and they will for you.  Nothing like chemo according to the Mrs. 

We cant thank all of you enough for your support.  We have made so many friends on this thread and others.  It made this journey easier having others who shared their experiences and suggestions and virtual hugs!  We will never forget you! My wife said she felt she did everything she could to kill the beast and she is not going to dwell on it but instead is going out and enjoy life again, starting tonight when we celebrate at a local establishment with family and friends. We will be checking in now and then. We wish we could meet someday and hug all of you.

Now as Claire in Seattle would say- on to the rest of our life!  Bless you all! Merry Christmas!

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

Congratulations to Mary Alice!!! Enjoy your celebration......I will eat a Christmas cookie in her honor, or two, or three.....Happy

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited December 2013

Congrats! Your posts have been insightful and touching. You are a wonderful husband.

• mjsgumbas
    mjsgumbas Member Posts: 323
    edited December 2013

JDB53 - awesome news for you and your wife!  Hope all continues to go well & yes... on with the rest of your lives!

Just a side note - a very close friend of mine who was diagnosed IIIb while pregnant - just celebrated 9 years - she is happy & HEALTHY and so is her son!!!!  She was my inspiration, strength & wealth of information  -  just like all of you!

I know we can all do it!  Many hugs and I too hope to meet some of you in the future!

• JDB53
    edited December 2013

Mjsgumbas

Thats awesome!

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited December 2013

Way to go Mary Alice!!!!!!  It is truly amazing when we sit back and realize all that we have gone through or are still going through.  I have a total new outlook and respect for the word "SURVIVOR".  All of you give me hope and the courage to never quit, give up, or take the easier path.  We all have to do what we have to, in the end...we can do it.  I will get there too.  Thank you for posting JDB53 and Merry Christmas and continued Gods blessings :)

• smrlvr
    smrlvr Member Posts: 117
    edited December 2013

JDB and. Mary Alice, congratulations!

• jcolford
    jcolford Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2013

Nisa, Atlantic Canada is basically the four provinces on the atlantic coast. New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland - all four are very small provinces so we tend to join together.

I am not sure why there is a delay and treatment varies across Canada.

• NisaVilla
    edited December 2013

I don't know why I no longer get notices via email about activity on this thread.  If you know how to fix, please let me know.  My profile instructions have not changed. And I do get notices for the exchange city thread.

Awesome Mary Alice and. Joe, a new stage ahead.  Congrats to both!  And what an amazing story about the pregnant friend with cancer.  Like Ruth, I am going to celebrate with Xmas cookies as I thank each of you for your support this year.

Now the big questions: What are everyone's New Year's resolutions?

Much love, Nisa

• Headeast
    edited December 2013

nisa, my new year's resolution is to live life as normal as possible, lose the weight I gained during chemo and not to take life too serious.

• ruthbru
    edited December 2013

New Years Resolutions: keep exercising, keep the weight down, actually plan and go on the vacation DH & I have been talking about for quite some time. Remember to count my blessings!

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited December 2013

Nisa, select My Favorite Topics from the menu and when you see your favorite topics listed, look over to the far right of the topic for which you want to receive email notification. There is an "Add email notification" to select if you desire email notification for each specific topic. Hope this helps.

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited December 2013

Welcome to the thread Nova!

Somehow this thread got taken off my Favorites list. I will try to list it again.

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384
    edited December 2013

Hello All, i was diagnosed since July 2013.  i wasnt sure what stage i'm in till after my SX.  Well, I was told I am stage 2 since the begining according to biopsy pathology report but my BS said that stage may always change after the SX.  I had SX on Dec 04, both my MO & BS didnt say anything about my new stage, so I guess i am stage 2.  May I join you guys from now on?  :)

• JDB53
    edited December 2013

Welcome soria123!  This is a good place to be but sorry your here. Lots on knowledge and kinship here. You will be fine!