Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Maybe a dumb flat question?

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited February 2015

just noticed my hibiscus is bloomingimage

• AndreaJ50
    AndreaJ50 Member Posts: 704
    edited February 2015

Glennie, serene view.

Spookie, lovely flower. Everything is brown around here. But it could be worse; it could be White!!

Just found out my blood shows that the Measles vaccine I had 48 years ago is still working. Glad my mom was smart enough to immunize her children.

Bobo, oh duh. I didnt realize the steam mop had a "mop" part, lol!!

DO hope you're doing well. Keep thinking about you dear .

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited February 2015

Very pretty, Spooks!

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited February 2015

Morning ladies! In the bag for DP, whatever is happening for her. I hope there is some serious Princess treatment, going on at her house!

Bobo, I can't possibly do that 33x2, I would be bereft of clothing, because I'd use up all my quota on shoes and bags!LOL Now, I don't care what anyone says, one of my fave outfits in the Winter here, is black cigarette pants, with a black turtleneck and flats, so even at my age I will be wearing black next to my face.

Z, I am all about health by stealth and I don't have any kids here, just Colin! I hide greens, in things that are unexpected for him. I have never encountered an adult, with such finicky taste in food. I grew up with only 2 real dislikes, brussels sprouts, which I love now and Capsicum which I still find disgusting.

Huge fan of the White Magic spin mop, but sorry Bobo, gave the steam mop away. I could have used it on the slate tile, but can't use it on oiled timber, so not an option. I do have one of the small hand held Shark steamers, but I don't use it much.

Spookiesmom, I love Hibiscus, is that normal for this time of year, for you?

Glennie, I love that area, is it really possible that there are Alligators in your lake? What kind of water is it? Fresh, or is it sea water? My next door neighbor gets out with his trimming saw and calls out to me that he's doing a little "View Enhancement".So he trims back branches, that are obscuring the view.

Got my bloods back and have a note saying Mild Neutropenia, no action required. Looked it up and seems it is WCC and Neutraphils very slightly below the very low end. Must make that appointment with the Rheumy.

Got an email from the husband of my friend who had her surgery yesterday to remove a huge tumor on liver. She discovered it when she was in the bath a few weeks ago, she could feel it through her skin. They thought it was a couple of cm, but it was 6 cm and it is the same BC she had 3 years ago. She's in ICU and doing well. She sent me a pic of her legs in an apparatus that helps prevent clots, by bowing up and massaging her legs, just before she went in for the surgery yesterday. I told her she gets all the cute outfits! Shitful, awful disease.

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited February 2015

Oh, M, I am so sorry for your friend! That is awful! Mother F! Sending you hugs.

• glennie19
    edited February 2015

M: it is fresh water.  In FL, it is always possible that there could be gators.  People end up with them in their swimming pools in South FL!  This is a small pond,, so fairly unlikely,, but you never know, and I don't take chances.  If you come to visit, I will take you to Lake Alice in the middle of the University campus where there are a LOT of alligators!! It is impressive.  I am thinking of getting a trimming saw. That would be handy.

I've seen those compression thingies,,, they are interesting! Crappy disease. What happens now? Will she need chemo?

You need to see Rheumy! I saw mine. Getting the x-ray tomorrow. 

• ldesim
    ldesim Member Posts: 1,193
    edited February 2015

Dire day.. dire. I cannot lift my arms right now. Joe fixed the neighbors mini snow blower and we used it to clear up a lot and it even helped clear out the little alley way on the side of the house, which we have to keep clear because that is where oil delivery comes. Still lots of shoveling, was out there off an on for about 4 hours. There is just no where to put the sh!t anymore. Our house is up high, which is great, because it takes us out of the flood zone and the expense of flood insurance. All of our neighbors are in a flood zone. But the drawback is.. lots of stairs all around.... which a snow blower does no good with. They announced today, we've had 5 feet in 10 days haha. As much as I like history... I had no desire to be a part of this historical event :) Might invest in one of those little snow blowers.. but damn do they let off a lot of fumes.

I am laughing over M even trying to live with 33 items for 3 months... just the selection process alone would be hysterical. :)

Pretty pics Glennie!

That's about all the typing energy I have... hoping DP had an uneventful round of chemo and is getting the extra home help.

• Ariom
    edited February 2015

oooh, ldesim, your poor arms. I am sorry. I can't even imagine 5 ft of snow at my door, much less that it could be deposited in 10 days, that's outrageous! I hadn't even thought of the fumes from those snow blower thingies, that's awful.

Glennie, let me get this right, there are alligators walking around, looking for a pond like yours, or a backyard swimming pool? Holy shit and you gals are nervous of our wildlife? How could you ever let your kids out to play? and dogs, OMG can your dogs go out, no wonder our Ava pees in the kitchen! Doesn't anyone kinda report these things wandering around in your neighborhood or are these the things they have in movies that actually live in the drains and the sewers, come on now, I am letting my imagination run away here. I did see an episode of Billy The Exterminator who had to pull a monster out of a back yard pond, but that was in Louisiana somewhere. I know a lot of you liked Steve Irwin, but he only jumped on the back of crocks that he had at the wildlife park, I don't think I have ever heard of these guys walking the streets of Queensland.

Yes, Glennie, my friend is supposed to start chemo tomorrow, but I am betting it is delayed for a while. She had a "Champagne & Shave" party organized for next week, but I don't know when that will be now.

Has anyone heard how DP is doing this evening?

Thank you for the hugs Bobo, right back at you! M x

• glennie19
    edited February 2015

M:  it is not usual for that to happen,, I'm just saying it can and does sometimes!! The Fish & Wildlife officers get called to capture the gator and move it far away!  I have NEVER seen one in MY backyard.  It is the law to have a fence around your pool, so small kids do not fall in and drown, so it is rare for a gator to get in one,, but it does happen.  Usually they want to stay away from people.  But then there are stupid people who FEED them and then they get used to humans and no longer afraid, and that's when problems can really happen.   I will not tell you any more scary stories about alligators. 

Tell us about the kangaroos that will kick the shit out of you!  LOL!!

Bummer on friend starting chemo.  Cancer just sucks.

• spookiesmom
    edited February 2015

M, I was in a ritzy golf course neighborhood taking kids home, there was a gator sunning itself on the fairway. Sucker had to be 8-9 feet long! We don't see them strolling down the sidewalks much, but it has happened.

What usually happens is a gator wil take up residence in a pond or other fresh water. Then the humans think it's cute to toss it marshmallows. Not real filling chow for a gator, so it goes looking for food. Haven't seen that cat lately? Dummies walk their dogs past the gators territory. Hmmm, lunch!!! Then the trapper is called, and more shoes and handbags are made.

They are all over the state, but it's not like you see them every day. I've been in this house 30 years, never seen one around here. But that doesn't mean they aren't. There's a wildlife park up the street, don't know who is living there!

I'm on a peninsula, very heavily populated. Glennie and Bobo are farther north, population not as heavy. And I "think" they are fairly close to Ocala National Forrest, so they would have more chances for encounters

• glennie19
    edited February 2015

ldesim:  OMG that's a LOT of snow.  Are you ready to move to FL yet?   There's a place near me for sale!  Happy

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited February 2015

So sorry about your friend M, it just never seems to end does it?

Spookie, I love your flower, sometimes I will buy a hibiscus in the summer and try to keep in house, doesnt work real well.

I should not be complaining with all M's friend and DP are going through at the moment but now this damn cold has moved to head, nose running full blast, the whole nine yards... feel like crap but hey this will pass in time. Going back to bed.

Worried about DP, so had to check in.

Keep the beautiful pictures coming ladies... but not responsible for what Idesim will do to youBawling just watched the news and saw the mountains of snow to contend with, they were saying it is illegal to dump it in the harbor but may have to. Unreal weather all over.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,921
    edited February 2015

Idesim, That snow is just awful. I can't imagine having to shovel and shovel and shovel. I'm glad you don't have to worry about flooding when it melts. We usually have rain in the lowlands and snow in the mountains, but this year it's too warm and it's rain everywhere. Bad news because our summer water comes from snow melt.

I don't have good feelings about alligators. I think I'll stick to bears. One year we had a cougar in a city park. It was there for quite a while before they managed to catch it. We had a deer one morning in the little downtown of my neighborhood. The bar patrons who reported it had some trouble being believed until other people called in also.

M, For the record, I wish I could wear black. I think it used to look good, but now it just makes me look ill and depressed. Your turtleneck and cigarette pants sounds like an outfit I would love.

Hoping DP is not too miserable after chemo. Hope she checks in soon.

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

There was some show about alligator catching in FL.. Gator boys or something like that. Not sure what part of FL. They had gators in pools, in creeks, in bushes and in basements... I can't imagine anybody being stupid enough to feed them!

They shut down the subway system at 7 pm tonight and through tomorrow, so it appears another day off. No shoveling for me, no matter what happens... my armpit, upper arm and chest wall on the surgical side are all pretty sore and I'm afraid of injuring myself at this point. The area feels swollen, but it doesn't appear to be, there does appear to be a little fluid.

That hibiscus is the prettiest pink! Did you make your quinoa muffins Spookie?I

Wren, I personally think a bear is just as scary as gator... cougar is pretty damn scary too come to think of it.

Hoping DP is ok too... hopefully Z might have an update!

Laughing Ndgirl :) Hope you're getting plenty of rest and feel better soon :(

Glennie, like I told Bobo this morning... I can't deal with gators or palmetto bugs... I would freak. the. hell. out. if I saw a palmetto bug. My brother used to live in Tampa he had a couple of stories that made me sick to my stomach. I would take 5 feet more of snow over that haha.

M, I'm sorry about your friend.. geez I feel like I say that a lot. 3 years out was it? What is her prognosis? I am peeing myself over your gator reaction. Loved Steve Irwin.. he was such a nutcase!

Andrea, I never realized measles vaccines lasted that long.. interesting. And you're right.. white is not a fav of mine... counting the days until my world becomes green again :)

• glennie19
    edited February 2015

Spooks:  Paines Prarie, just south of town,, has LOTS of gators.  We don't even need to go all the way to Ocala.  And Lake Alice right on UF campus has quite a population too. There was an article in the paper a year or two back. Student was walking his dog by Bivens Arm,, and gator grabbed the dog. Student fought back and saved the dog. That was brave!!!

Bears and cougars just as scary to me as gators.  Do not wish to tangle with any of them. I 've just had more exposure to gators. Going down river in canoes,,, gators swimming alongside.  That was in Girl Scouts!!

Palmetto bugs are gross, but at least they are small enough to squash.  (sorry Bobo) I do apologize to the universe if I kill one or kill a spider, but I can't stand having them in the house.

• spookiesmom
    edited February 2015

Ok, here's a roach story. We hadn't been here too long, I opened the microwave, a roach was in it. Slammed the door, turned the oven on, cooked its sorry self.

There is Absolutely. No. Way. I could deal with all that snow. Bugs and gators any day.

I bought some different cherries and made the muffins. The cherries sank to the bottom, muffins were good

Spookie is only 10" tall. And all white. I'd never find her

• spookiesmom
    edited February 2015

Picture DH the city boy from up north in a canoe on the Myaka river. Says, WOW look at all those logs! How come there's so many logs?

Uhhhh, don't go swimming Yankee. Those logs bite

• spookiesmom
    edited February 2015

Lete know if you can't see this wellimage

• glennie19
    edited February 2015

When (now-ex) hubby and I drove across Tamiami Trail from Miami to Naples, he was pretty freaked seeing all the gators on the side of the road. Course, we are in a car, traveling 70 MPH,, sooooooo ,,,, not sure why it was a big deal. But he is a New York City boy.

Picturing your DH in a canoe,,, oh boy,,,,

You would  totally lose Spookie in the snow. 

I heard the neighbor yelling around 5:30, calling for the puppy. he got away and almost all the way to the road. She sounded so upset that I ran outside (yes, I'm supposed to be working) to see if I could help catch him, but she managed to snag him.  He is so small, he can sneak out really easily!

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

Small enough to squash?? EWWWWWW! omg.. Spookie.. you baked a bug. Thanks for recipe.. going to try it, maybe this weekend!

• Ariom
    edited February 2015

Oh Spookiesmom, I am peeing myself "Look at all those logs!" " Those logs bite!" bahaha, that would be me, totally oblivious. I love that story. I will be telling that one at the next dinner I go to!

I can see Bobo going into shock over that roach in the microwave, she's not going to appreciate my story either! Here goes!

I had to look up Palmetto Bug, it sounds kind of colorful and exotic, holy shit it's a cockroach! OMG, I hate those suckers. When I first moved to Sydney to be with my 1st Husband, Bec's Dad, we found a little house near the water, just out of the main city of Sydney, he worked at the Sydney Opera House, so I spent my evenings alone, in tiny house. We had just moved in and I was unpacking boxes when I heard a rustling sound, thought it may be a mouse, but no it was a HUGE cockroach. I emptied almost a whole can of bug spray on that sucker, but it didn't slow it down, so I actually put the big can of spray with the concave bottom right on top of it and waited for new husband to get home to show him. He was suitably unimpressed, he'd grown up in Sydney and I was soon to discover that roaches are just part of the landscape there. You can spray your house with carcinogenic spray, they will move to the house next door till the levels of poison drop, or the neighbors spray and then arrive back at your place with another 5000 relatives. If you made the mistake of leaving a teaspoon with sweet tea or a knife with honey on the bench and walked back in switching on the light, you'd witness the fastest exit of a sea of gross things disappearing into every nook and cranny. It was truly mind boggling, they are so disgusting. I learned heaps about them as I tried to eliminate them, but the more I learned the creepier they became. I read of an old safe, in a derelict bank, that had not been opened for many years, apparently when it was opened the only thing in it, was a box of good old blue carbon paper and lots of deep blue roaches, that had survived by eating that carbon paper. I kid you not! Urggggg, I hate those things.

Hahaha Glennie, I do the apology to the Universe when I kill bugs too. We have these humongous ants here called inch ants, they are also called bulldog ants and are of the bull ant family. I actually seek those out and destroy because I have heard so much about the sting, I never want to get one. They are so big that you can actually see them walking out on the patio, in the distance. Yuck!

I make blueberry muffins and the blueberries fall to the bottom too. Is there a trick to making them mix right through the muffin? Not that it matters, just askin'.

• Ariom
    edited February 2015

ldesim, I am not sure yet, of the prognosis for my friend, it all happened so fast. It was just a few weeks ago when she was telling me she had the same Dx as me, (DCIS grade 3 over 1cm) 3 years ago, but her surgeon had insisted on doing an Axillary clearance, nothing in the nodes, but he only got a 1mm margin in the Lx, he also had her do chemo, which I have no understanding of, since she insists she was told, pure DCIS, no invasive cancer was found or reported in her pathology. Fast forward 3 years and she has this tumor on her liver which is 6cm, PET scan shows no other problem areas and surgeon says he didn't see anything in the abdominal cavity. She was informed it is the same cancer she had 3 years ago, so it must have been IDC, because you can't possibly get DCIS in the liver. She is due to have chemo again for this one. I have no clue what all that means, since I thought I had a fair handle on this DCIS thing. M x

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

omg.. I should not have read M's roach story.... I am going to have nightmares about a swarm of giant blue glowing roaches now.

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

That doesn't make sense at all, M. Not meaning what you posted didn't make sense.. but the situation your GF is going through doesn't make sense.

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

From what I understand.. things will sink if batter sets too long. I think coating in flour too also helps to aid in non sinking.

• glennie19
    edited February 2015

Blue roaches,,,, OMG,,,,, That must have been a sight!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,921
    edited February 2015

Houston has the same problems with roaches and palmetto bugs (called tree roaches there). I couldn't sleep until I looked every place I had ever seen a tree roach. By the time we moved that was a 30 minute ritual.

What they told your GF doesn't make sense, but sometimes cancer doesn't. I have heard of stage IV women who didn't have a tumor in the breast. Their BC spread to other organs, but no primary.

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited February 2015

Saturday she was chatty. Nothing Sunday. Heard she pooped on Monday and home health said what they couldn't do. And she had a bad night/day. Not sure if she started taper or did chemo. Will try again after I drop kids off.

L be careful. Glad you're not swelling. Keep that arm elevated. Do you know how to do MLD?

Thanks for the recipe. Will have to try it. Anyone tried the Cheerios with ancient grains-spelt, quinoa, etc?

This week is V week at school. What can he take for show and tell? X was xtra cheddar goldfish and that's how it was spelled.

Going to have tea with an Irish stay at home mom that has twins! Looked at peppa pig stuff online all day yesterday. Really need to finish cleaning and make a good dinner.

Took over an hour to get allergy shotyesterday. Grrr. Homework and basketball practice. Had frozen waffles afterwards. Putting chicken in crock pot now.

• dawny
    dawny Member Posts: 588
    edited February 2015

Hey all, come to see if DP has checked in.

M was related by marriage to quite a big star! Jon English is very well known! Wow!

I am feeling a bit freaked out by the gator stories too. But I hate to tell you M, when we were on holidays in Port Douglas a couple of years ago, DH went for a run nearby along the golf course, a guy cutting the grass, stopped DH and said, watch out for the croc that was on the 9th hole yesterday!! DH didn't know if he was just joking, but when he got back, he asked someone else and found out it was true! Must be something about golf courses they like.

Glennie your pics are lovely, I'm not sure you need to move to M's house for a nice view, you have one already!

Nice flower Spookie, certainly a nice weather flower.

Sorry for all of that snow. That is some crazy ass amounts you are getting. I certainly didn't think about fumes either, something M and I have never pondered lol!

Yes, coat the berries in flour. I made some white chocolate and blackberry muffins the other day, and just coated the blackberries in the dry flour mixture, before combining the lot with the "wet" mixture, turned out pretty well. Although DD asked why they couldn't be just white choc, no fruit. Typical.

Thanks for the quinoa muffin recipe, I will try that, it only has one egg, I can usually substitute 1-2 eggs ok, any more than that and it is usually a total failure.

Bobo, meant to get back to you on suggestions for lunch box ideas from the freezer. I have in my freezer: cheese and bacon rolls, hidden veggie scrolls, shredded chicken, doughnut muffins ( or muffnuts as DD calls them) mango muffins, choc chip cookies. Ok some of those things may not be a 10 out of 10 in the healthy stakes, but they are all home made, so I have tried to make them as healthy as possible. I have to make most things due to the eggs and peanut allergies. I take DS tomorrow for his tests, fingers crossed, but as he is 14 now, he prob has them for life.

Off to get some yoghurt started in the Thermomix, it has has to sit undisturbed overnight, wrapped in a blankie, lol. X

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited February 2015

Dawny do you use the powdered egg sub? Can't remember the name. It only worked in homemade goodies. Blackberry and white chocolate sounds yummy. What is hidden veggie?

I hate fumes too.

Lovely flower. Trees are budding and rumor is bulbs poking through. It's usually shunk love month but haven't seen but one or two on road. Haven't smelled any on farm. Have no idea how dog would react. Prefer not to find out. She'd be banished for sure!