Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Maybe a dumb flat question?

Comments

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited February 2015

I didn't think they had a paper label but it has been a long time since we were in the grocery business, gee I actually remembered something right! Missed a dr appt cause had days mixed up, damn cold/ flu or at least that is my excuse

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,921
    edited February 2015

ndgirl, I was remembering the same thing. The label is printed on the can.

glennie, Hormel might have copies of the publicity around her win. Perhaps even a photo from Hawaii.

idesim, Are your cards RFID? If so they have a little speaker printed on them. Those can be read from inside your purse anywhere. You can get RFID blocking card holders or make one yourself with aluminum foil. Definitely report as identity theft. A poster on another thread had her cards read while she was having coffee in a mall. They were charging airline tickets to her card. Often they will put thru a small purchase to make sure the card is active. When it is, they follow up with something big.

I'm happy to contribute to the costs involved with the scrapbook. No talent at all in that area. I remember loving cold spam sandwiches when I was a kid, but would only eat it now if it would make DP's cancer disappear.

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited February 2015

Birdie, that's why I would eat it too.

ND, I was afraid I missed an appt this week, and I don't have a cold or flu. How are you? Can you drink warm salty liquids, like soup or miso?

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited February 2015

Wren:  what is RFID? Do I need to wrap my wallet with aluminum foil? 

I too, would only eat spam if it cured cancer.   I will keep looking for pics!  Good idea about Hormel.

ND:  you still have cold?  It is soooo freaking cold up there by you.  Like Bobo says,, soup!!

• ldesim
    ldesim Member Posts: 1,193
    edited February 2015

Interesting.. I'll just leave my f'ing cards at home.. you know the old immigrants probably have it right, don't trust banks, put the shit in your mattress or in the walls lol.

Nd, did you end up going to the Dr. like you were supposed to? Sorry you can't seem to shake the damn thing.

I sent an email to Bond (Z, thank you again), and I got a bit teary as I was typing it. This poor guy.. he's gonna be like WTF is with these women lol. I told him he didn't have to reply as I know he is probably overwhelmed by everything, but we all just wanted him to know there we are here for whatever him or her or GP's may need and that he may never get an offer like this again, so take advantage :)

finding it hard to concentrate today... I went to the bank and reported the fraudulent activity and they are taking care of it. I opened a new account and will leave the old account open with a small balance for the time being. The general manager at the bank was from Britain!! I was big time loving his accent and he had the prettiest blue eyes and some seriously long ass lashes! He was gorgeous, I was jealous :)

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited February 2015

I don't know exactly what RIFD is, but it's some kind of scanner thing a crook can carry, and scan your cards or DL while you both are walking around in a store. Crooks can also put some kind of skimmer thingy like on the gas pump, or an ATM to capture your card #.

I'm ordering a purse tonight that has this blocker stuff in it. It's from the Lighter Side, $19.99.

• glennie19
    edited February 2015

I know about the skimmer thing on the gas pumps.  I think that is how my card got hacked before.  Just did not know about scanning you as you walk around the mall!  How crazy is that?

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

It's friggin ridiculous is what it is... SOB's taking money from hard working people.

Here's an article... Spookie careful what you are buying.. it might not actually block.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-are-rfid-blocking-wallets-which-should-you-buy/

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

Mixed results for shields

The absence of a flood of fraud reports linked to the cards is not proof of their security, though, according to Kevin Fu, a University of Massachusetts at Amherst assistant professor who has published research on the topic. Because the contactless cards in circulation in the U.S. represent only 3.5 percent of the total debit and credit cards in use, they have not yet presented a big enough target to lure many crooks, especially when traditional magnetic stripe cards are so easily counterfeited.

Shields or wallets marketed as RFID-blocking devices can make it more difficult for someone with an electronic reader to read your cards, but they don't entirely block transmission of card data. When Recursion's security experts tested 10 types of shields and wallets currently being sold to protect contactless cards, they found that none blocked the signal completely, and there was dramatic variability even among samples of the same brand. Using a different approach, Recursion's experts created a credit-card-sized jamming device for the wallet that prevents cards from responding to any reader.

Our reporter offered her own homemade shield constructed of duct tape and lined with aluminium foil. It provided better protection than eight of the 10 commercial products, including a stainless-steel "RFID blocking" wallet selling online for about $60.

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

That's from consumer reports btw.

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited February 2015

I couldn't get onto the Email a Patient page last night either, so I also sent an email to Bond. He will be overwhelmed with all our contacts. I hope we don't upset him too much.

S thank you for sending the edible arrangement and for including me. PM me and I will transfer money for it.

I too, can't understand, how this can be. The rise of all the bad in the world and this beautiful Angel, is the one suffering, I will never ever be able to reconcile this injustice. I went down to a beautiful spot yesterday, sat on a deserted sandy beach and cried for all the pain, all the shit our girl has had to endure, for the dicks who made her journey harder and also for all of us, who have been brought together, by this shitful, insidious disease. We are all the better for knowing DP and also for finding each other here, but I still just keep asking, why does anyone, especially this gorgeous girl, have to go through this and to suffer so much, when there is so much evil all around us, prospering? Sorry for the rant, just feeling so helpless.

• glennie19
    edited February 2015

I was just reading reviews on wallets on Amazon. Many of them are also faulty. People tested their badge readers at work thru them, and they scanned just fine thru the wallet!  FAIL!

The best one I found over there was Sharkk aluminum RFID wallet. So far, the best reviews.  And then you should probably wrap it in aluminum foil !  It's a crazy world we live in.

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

Don't apologize M, I feel exactly the same way.. I don't want to offend anybody that has certain beliefs either.. but it all just makes no goddamn sense when there is so many horrible people in the world.

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

And then wrap THAT in duct tape sheesh.

• spookiesmom
    edited February 2015

I haven't carried a real purse for years, too much weight for my shoulders. But now I need to start again. This is very small. I only have a debit card, and never much $$$ in my account

• SC60
    SC60 Member Posts: 403
    edited February 2015

Thank you all for the offers of money for the edible arrangement, but it is not necessary. Paid with a credit card so that doesn't count, right? Lol Seriously, not a problem.

I still feel a bit lost, so I think I will make comfort food for dinner. Mac and cheese should help!

• javafriend
    javafriend Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2015
    Hi ladies. I am Lisa. I have been a silent lurker for a while. I just want to add my thoughts and positive energy for DP. You all have been a lifeline for me as I have gone through chemo, bilateral mastectomy and now radiation. Thank you for letting me be a part of your lives and friendships.
    Lisa
  • ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited February 2015

Hi Lisa, welcome, it is such a sad time here right now isn't it?

Yes both DH and I have been in to dr and going again on Friday. I am not as bad as DH but still feel crappy, no energy, upset tummy to a small degree, yep can eat soup and tea, cough isn't so bad now but here comes the headache. Got z packs but don't think they have done much yet. It is damn cold here now -25 tonight but nothing unusual for this area. I should have been out last night with my camera the Northern Lights were beautiful! Love when they dance! Hard to get good pics in town with the street lights.

We have a little card for our passport, like a drivers licenses that lets us into Canada and Mexico and we keep that in a special sleeve, guess we better protect the credit cards too. Damn crooks

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited February 2015

I'm coming to dinner. Love, love Mac n cheese.

My spam can the wrapper is slick plastic and will come off. Did you see all the different varieties? Who knew? No recipes:(

Also saw bourbon Vienna sausages.

Will check out my cards. New fangled ones that you insert, not swipe. I try to operate on a cash basis. Carry a diaper bag. Eyeing a pink/orange storksac but pricey.

Stay warm. Snow squalls. Didn't hear any thunder snow. Roads icy and covered in spots from drifting snow. Boy home again tomorrow. Hope the allergist is open. He has a follow up.

He tried a Reese cup last night. Tiny bite. Spit it out. Cadbury chocolate might have almonds. Broke out two hours later while petting cat. Benadryl helped.

Do Aussies make rice Krispy treats with chocolate?

Hi Lisa.

• bobogirl
    edited February 2015

Yeah, Z, what is going on with your boy? Better after Benedryl, and no other symptoms? Woke up worrying about him last night.

Hi Lisa. M, I was having that feeling last week. I have been okay moment by moment with our DP, managing, and I thought I was making myself helpful by organizing little art projects and care packages from the kids. BTW, M, your card for our princess got here yesterday! It is wonderful! And little surprise! It was very welcome in this week -- you know what it's been like for her. And... it is the only card she received from a grandma, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I was getting by about all of it, but last week I hit some kind of a wall. It came to the front of my mind that I did not understand why she has to suffer so much. I know we have been working on this actively for weeks now, trying to advise DP and cheer her on as she tried to get straight answers from her Fucktards and get into palliative care. We tried to make her feel okay about taking pain meds to relieve her own pain. But, you know, I think all that for me was just a way of dealing with this larger issue. I don't know why she has to suffer. I hit a wall about it last week -- tried to do my yoga and meditation practices through it, and concentrate on our DP, she is the one suffering, not me -- but I was crying and crying. It definitely does not seem right that she should have to ever have suffered at all.

And now I'm going back and thinking about how poorly things were done, and how she has suffered, when I should be looking forward.

S, I wish I could have some of your mac and cheese. XXX

• bobogirl
    edited February 2015

I reply to myself, FFS, someone has to do it. M, forgot to add that when she was opening her card -- she was ripping it open, with gusto -- W boy was dancing around in the background, saying, Who is it from? And before I could answer for her, she just said to him offhandedly, in a very bossy and officious way, 'It's from Moira.'

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

S, I missed you sending the edible arrangement... you should let us chip in. Mac & Cheese is one of my favorites too, it is one of the ultimate comfort foods, I hope you made enough for all of us too :)

Hi Lisa, you are always welcome here to lurk or to chat or complain or whatever you'd like :) How many rads do you have left and how are you feeling? Rads was the worst for me out of all of them, not pain wise or anything, but because it was just so annoying having to go for 30 treatments. You need to treat yourself to a little treat after each week you finish.. it gives you a little something to look forward to (don't start Bobo!!). If we can answer any questions for you, feel free to ask.

Bobo, I think we are all doing the same thing, I know I am.. it's a phase we have to go through unfortunately, but we have each other and we'll get through this somehow. I'm trying not to get angry but am having a very hard time of it. Love the story of the princess being all princessy with her card from M. :)

I'm second guessing having emailed Bond.. I hope it wasn't intrusive, I don't want to add to his stress levels.

Z, is this it? Ebay Storksac

Gonna go make some dinner, not really hungry though.

*hugs*

• SC60
    edited February 2015

Yes, made enough Mac and Cheese for all! Made sure I took a bite for each including DP, Grands, and Bond! Did you all like it as much as I ? Lol

• SC60
    edited February 2015

I reply to myself-FFS only one Grandma card? If not too late I am a grandma and I would love to send her a card! Also just got the ultimate wedding card! You all look so lovely Bobo! See I'm smiling while I write this! You all made me smile!

Hi Lisa

• prb1956
    prb1956 Member Posts: 401
    edited February 2015

Did you know DP had a fundme site? I didn't, or if I did I forgot. Her beautiful picture is on it.

I thought we were supposed to send the emails through Bond so he could read them??? Geesh, I better get with the program.

I love mac n cheese also. It was my favorite food as a kid, and always homemade. I have a knock-off recipe of The Outback Steakhouse's mac n cheese that I really like. Haven't made it in years.

Ndgirl - I grew up where there were lots of northern lights over the bay...sometimes the tips were dancing from florescent green to pink. Simply breathtaking. I would love for dd to see them one day. No such luck here in the city. Oh that reminds me. Years ago, one of my co-workers built a house about 30 miles from here...out in the country. He came in one day all excited and explaining what he had seen the night before. He didn't know what they were!!! So I told him, oh silly boy, those were northern lights in the sky. He said.. good, cause he though Jesus was coming! LOL

• glennie19
    edited February 2015

FFS, only one Grandma card??  ** someone needs an @ss kicking**  I LOVE how she told W boy, "it's from Moira"!!  You go Princess!!

Will have to check the Spam cans again. DId not notice that the cover would come off. There is turkey Spam too.

Worried about Boy and his allergies. Broke out from petting the cat? Yikes! Can he pet cat then wash hands and not break out?  Neighbor's son has to do that with Ava,, he pets her and then immediately washes hands and doesn't touch skin,, especially face,, and then he is usually OK.  He LOVES Ava and wants to pet her. He is 20, so he can make up his own mind. **I am not corrupting a young child**

The Mac and Cheese was very yummy.  Did you notice I took seconds?

It is not right that DP has suffered so much and that her dicktards were such idiots. Karma will come back and kick them in the @ss for being such fucktards.

Hi Lisa!!  **waves**

Hang it there, everyone.  Stay warm.  (((hugs)))

Edit:  I did not know about the Fundme site!

• Zillsnot4me
    edited February 2015

from bond

Good evening we got plenty of emails and the fruit basket any and everything is been very lovely from you guys

I read her the emails I know she heard me even though she couldn't respond but I know she can rest easy knowing how many people love her

• SC60
    edited February 2015

Thanks Z. I believe she heard every word and knows she is loved. Weepin

• Zillsnot4me
    edited February 2015

Good evening you can let all of the ladies of the group know that sheila is gone to a better place. I read her emails to her and I hope she found that some peace at the end

• spookiesmom
    edited February 2015

Now I'm crying