Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Maybe a dumb flat question?

Comments

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited February 2015

they're going to start an angel page on the stIV forum. She was on there some and a vanity one and .....

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited February 2015

L: if you can print stuff off on color copier and mail,, that would be great.  I would like to get some good quality photos of her. Wondering if I "save" photos to my computer, and then send them to Walgreens for printing, if they would come out good? I checked her FB page last night,, no Hawaii photos,, and only a few of her,, but there is one good one of her with the Spam prize! And a good close-up,, the pic that used to be her Avatar here. Tomorrow I'll have time to spend on the computer so i will see what I can do.

ND:  I am sure DP was dancing in the Northern Lights. She is painfree now and her spirit is flying free.

Dawny:  YAY for TimTams and your Mum. 

M:  your Colin is amazing,, he is totally a keeper.

**waving to all**     {{{ DP }}}

Edit:  just saw Z post.  Good ideas about the windchimes, hook and flower seeds.  Yes,, dress BG like the boy in Christmas Story. Seems necessary!!  Only 33 when I woke up.   Come on down to the warmth.

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited February 2015

Dawny, I love your Mumma, and I love you for counting those Tim Tams!

I feel funny talking about myself and how I feel, since the important thing for me is DP. And I want to be positive for all of you. But I can't help thinking about how everything was botched. Our poor sweet girl.

Love to Bond and the DPs. I have been thinking about Bond going home to Toby and Reggie as well. I hope he snuggles close with them.

• javafriend
    javafriend Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2015
    Bobo, I think now is the best time to talk about how you are feeling. It is not just about DP, but about how she touched lives and the legacy she leaves with us, and your feelings are tied to that.
    Good Morning America just ran a story about using cosmetic samples in stores and how many bugs can be in them. It made me smile and think of DP. She would have liked the story.
    M-Colin is definitely a keeper. Downy, so nice of your mum to bring Tim Tams. I still have not tried them because I am primarily gluten free, but may try them anyway.
    Zills, definitely dress him like the boy in Christmas Story. The wind chimes are a wonderful idea.
    Everyone keep warm today. Yesterday, I took Rhapsody, my standard poodle to a local lake to hike and play in the snow. It was a balmy 35 degrees. I already told her we will not be going today or tomorrow because wind chills are going to be below zero. Brrrr.
    Lisa
  • bobogirl
    edited February 2015

Hey guys, G and I were talking regarding Bond. Should we do something for him? Or would he not want that?

I don't know what Bond would want. I don't know if he wants to be private. I don't know about his support system. What do you think, Z? What he would be comfortable with?

I was thinking that, for now, we could arrange for one of us to send him a care package each week. Just with things that could be treats. Tim Tams, fuzzy socks, kid art in my case... doggie treats... just a treat for him. What do you guys think? I just feel like I have to do something.

Z is doing the windchimes, Andrea and Idesim and Glennie are doing scrapbooks... I could organize the schedule for the care packages, if you guys think it is a good idea.

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited February 2015

I was wondering if anyone knows what DP's favorite charity was? Maybe we could ask Bond if no one knows and make a donation in her memory. Sometimes that is easier for the grieved family and it would make us feel like we are doing something for him and her family. As we dont know what Bond likes etc. and men are different about things like this do you think this would be an option we could think about?

• glennie19
    edited February 2015

Both good ideas.  Tim Tams and dog treats.  Kid art.  Card bomb.   It's hard to know with men, what they would like. Some wall themselves off from emotions,,,, not sure if Bond is like that.

Perhaps when the funeral plans are in place, there will be a notation:  In lieu of flowers, please contribute to ______. 

• ldesim
    ldesim Member Posts: 1,193
    edited February 2015

Morning all.. can't get her off my mind... trying not to be sad because she is not suffering anymore, and she always seemed to be in so much pain, which made me love her even more when she made us laugh and was concerned over our trivial things.

Will not cry at work.. have to keep saying that to myself.

Dawny, I'm glad you have your comfort Tim Tams :) I was thinking this morning... omg.. poor Bond.. he has to deal with all that crap she bought!!!!!! I'm glad she did it though.. she seemed to enjoy it. See? 18 Tim Tams makes total sense!! 11 does not!

Z, I would be very surprised if you weren't grumpy or out of sorts.. I know this has taken an emotional toll on you... I really think you need some Ben & Jerry's therapy. Plus you have a birthday party to prepare for, don't you?

I love the idea of shepard's crook... and I think forget me nots can be either annuals or perrenials.. but I have to wonder if bond will be ok with all of this... lol.. I had a vision of us all flying down there and taking over his yard... poor guy would probably move.

Regarding the care package.. Bobo that's such a nice idea.. does anybody know Bond well enough to do that? We might think we are being sweet and helpful, but he could think we're just huge pains in the arses (which, some could say we probably are Loopy). Guys aren't so much into flowers or cards.. so I veto card bombs or anything like that. I'm thinking a meal delivery or a gift certificate to a please where he can grab take out dinners or something... the way to a man's heart is his stomach. I think the grandmother would be more receptive to other things.. I wish we had her information.. she might probably appreciate our support?

Java. what a pretty name your sweet girl has, Rhapsody.. I love it... I feel like I've been cooped up for years with all this snow.. I cannot wait until I can go for a nice long walk without slush and ice... hell, I can't wait to see something green!!!!

M, every time you talk about Colin, I can picture your face beaming, it's the sweetest thing, but also, I never fail to be in awe of what he has achieved.. he is such a special person.

Glennie, I think we have a color copier upstairs.. I will see what I can do.. at the very least I can put them all in a pdf and on a thumb drive and perhaps have them printed out at CVS or something.

Ok.. the accountant is here and I didn't do any of the last minute crap that I had to get done before he ran reports. Oh well.. it is what it is.... I'll see you all later..

• Zillsnot4me
    edited February 2015

They are making the arrangements today so will find out. He's still getting pkgs from her shopping spree. Let's see how he reacts to the windchimes. I agree he probably needs some tlc. Just not sure if more pkgs will upset him.

Yes please share your feelings. That's what we are here for and it's part of the process.

I ate donut holes and oreos when my grandfathers passed. Not sure what it will be now. Don't remember my grandmothers comfort food and they were recent. D@mn chemo brain. Probably not spam but at least one bite in DPs honor.

It was me that was dressed up like the Michelin man. Had to walk the dog. Carried BG to car. Had to walk down street to daycare. Street parking not plowed.

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    edited February 2015

I think care packages are a good idea. Not cards and flowers but stuff a guy would like (and the dogs). Sign me up for one, Bobo, if you decide to go ahead with it.

DP posted a nice pic of her winning Spam thing on March 6, page 12 of this thread. Still looking for Hawaii pics, I thought there were some too, but haven't found any yet.

• SC60
    SC60 Member Posts: 403
    edited February 2015

I am eating real potato chips right now. Another one of my comfort foods. Gave up chocolate for lent and will probably eat everything in sight! Haven't had real chips in I don't know how long! I have given myself permission to eat whatever I want today! Except chocolate-that would be a bad idea. Lol

I couldn't venture to guess what Bond wants or needs. Each guy is different. Mine would welcome food and cards. That being said, my "other" daughter lives in the area. I know she wouldn't mind doing whatever I asked. So if we need someone local just let me know.

I think everyone has had great ideas and I will go with whatever ya'll decide. My heart hurts and I am going to rest now.

Thank you Z for being our communicator and our lifeline. I can't imagine how difficult this has been for you.

• prb1956
    prb1956 Member Posts: 401
    edited February 2015

No school today due to windchill. Kind of glad I'm home and not at work. Sorry you have to be there, Ideism.

I like the idea of gift cards to restaurants. That would be pretty easy to do and it's something he would probably use. A friend of mine on facebook just lost her mom. Something I had never heard of before - the funeral home took her mom's thumbprint, and then they put it on a gold charm. I like that idea and wonder if it's available. I bet the GP's would like something like that, and maybe even Bond.

• Zillsnot4me
    edited February 2015

I'm having my thumbprint made for the kids. Learned about it at bc support mtg.

Here's the windchimes. She loved fairies.

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

Oh wow PRB.. I love that... wouldn't DP just adore that idea? I think she'd love to know her fingerprint was imprinted in gold and worn on a chain... I'm getting teary again.

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    edited February 2015

Oh and love the charity idea. There was one thread that I was on that, like this one, evolved into a "family" of sisters who would chat about everything, not just BC. It got me through the tough part. Anyway - we lost one of our members to this fing disease and several of us made a donation to BCO in her name. It felt right somehow.

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited February 2015

How much family does DP have besides Bond and GPS? I thought her Mom was around too. I really hesitate to get too many things going, they will have so much to go through from the shopping and like someone said maybe more to come. I just remember when dil passed of course we were bombarded with food, cards, etc. and we loved all and the special sympathies, people are wonderful but it does also add to the duties of the ones left behind, example families always feel they need to send thank you cards out, (even when the card sender says not to, we always did). My son was in no condition to handle all this himself so I undertook that for him and it is huge! Guess that is why I suggested a donation in her name be sent to wherever and that charity sends Bond a notice they received it and it is done. But whatever everyone wants it ok with me too. Bond must just be overwhelmed right now and so heartbroken.

• SC60
    SC60 Member Posts: 403
    edited February 2015

The windchime is perfect

• glennie19
    edited February 2015

The windchime is perfect, Z.  Pizza is my go to comfort food. And ice cream. 

You know, I think Walgreens or Shutterfly makes actual scrapbooks.  Tomorrow I will investigate uploading pics and articles to have it professionally done in a scrapbook. I'm sure photos are doable,, just not sure about the articles. If they can't do articles, I will do myself.   I need a color scheme!  Suggestions? I know she loved dogs and fairies and pumpkins.

The thumbprint is a beautiful idea.  Made me weepy too.

• bobogirl
    edited February 2015

The wind chimes are more perfect than perfect, Z.

I am in for whatever is decided: care packages for bond (maybe wait a month before we start them? After any hub-bub is over? or gift cards to restaurants (we have to figure out what is in the area) or a donation to a charity. I am in. I just wanted Bond to have something for himself, a treat just for him. What will he do when he faces all those packages? It is draining to open packages in the best of circumstances. I remember when our princess was born -- it was a miracle! We were deluged with packages. I spent hours opening them. Poor Bond and poor GPs.

S, loved that you said 'real potato chips.' They must be so good!

Hugs to everyone.

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited February 2015

Morning girls, I am a little worried, like ndgirl, about overwhelming Bond too.I received a lovely email from him last night where he said that when he is ready, he will log on, to check in with us all and let us know how he is doing.

I remember DP was worried about him and how he didn't talk about it much and she wanted to have him talk with someone. I just don't want to impose on him. If anything, I think maybe just something small and simple, signed from all of us.

He mentioned in his email, that he really didn't know how popular and loved DP was in our group, so although she spoke of us and shared some of it with him, this was really just "her" place. I think he has been really surprised by the contact from all of us.

I keep picturing him standing in amongst all those boxes, with still more things arriving and just not knowing what to do with it all. Then there will be the influx of stuff, from all her friends, away from here.

DP always talked about her GP's and her Mother seemed to be on the peripheral, she mentioned her occasionally, like when the Mother and Gma would enter those county fair cooking competitions, but that's all I know about her.

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

Love it Z.

Here's my take... flowers for the funeral, a nice sympathy card from us. Let some time pass.. anybody who has lost somebody close knows that there is always people around at the beginning, but then it tapers off.... maybe he will log in down the road and we can get to know him. I like everybody's ideas.. but I really think it's all too much for them to process right now. I think gifts of the sort we are talking about would be more enjoyable after some time has passed? Just my opinion.. I will go with the majority regardless.

Weather actually hit the 30's.

Account reconciliations are still going on, it's been a very long day... wish he'd finish up already!

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

My comfort food, anything covered in cheese... lasagna, Mac & cheese, pizza.

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

Yeah M, I'm kinda regretting my email to him... I wish I had waited and just checked in a couple weeks from now.... I tend to get caught up in excitement easily lol

• Zillsnot4me
    edited February 2015

I know this sounds off topic but it's not. I'm working on a memory project.

Has anyone ordered from aliexpress.com? I think DP and I had a discussion about it. Do you think it's legit?

I'd say he is overwhelmed especially after making all those decisions today at the funeral home. And yes pkgs will be hard. The windchimes are from all of us but if you feel the need to send flowers, then do so.

• fiaranch1
    fiaranch1 Member Posts: 259
    edited February 2015

I cannot seem to stay away from this thread today .................... I saw this and it immediately reminded me of DP...............

I can only find comfort in the fact that she is pain free and she had Bond.

• prb1956
    prb1956 Member Posts: 401
    edited February 2015

I'm in for the windchimes and I'd like to send flowers too.

Here's a thought. I'm pretty sure by that one video that DP had windchimes. I wonder if we could contact the cemetary and have them placed there? Or would someone just take them? Nevermind.. someone would probably steal them. :(

I wonder if our need to be involved is because we are not there? It's so hard to know how Bond will handle all this. We don't know if he has lots of friends and family, or if he'll be sitting there by himself. For all we know, the grandparents might be making the arrangements.. they were like her parents from what she said. Her mom is obviously not in the picture since she was nowhere to be found during these last few weeks. Looking at her facebook page, Sheila had a few really close friends. I'm half tempted to message them to try and get some information on what they think... maybe they know him?

Just thinking out loud.

• Zillsnot4me
    edited February 2015

Who knew? Spam playing cards, spam flavored macadamia nuts, spam phone case, spam art with a $5000 price tag, spam costume.

I just sent them to the house. I'll let him know when they are shipped. And yes someone would probably snitch them if she's not cremated. We never talked about her beliefs. Yes he's with the gps making the arrangements. So many decisions.

Thankful I preplanned mine. It was hard but it's done. Catholic Church has lots of rules.

• glennie19
    edited February 2015

Z: you sent a cool array of SPAM products!  DP is smiling at this!!

Someone would probably steal the windchimes unless you could get someone to hang them really really high up.  Like a guy with a cherrypicker.

• ldesim
    edited February 2015

Z, I just ordered something from there about a week or two ago... I'll let you know.

• Zillsnot4me
    edited February 2015

we are just a bunch of frustrated women that want to make it all better.