Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Maybe a dumb flat question?

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited March 2015

well, me at the dog park again. 2 girls come who have 5. Very active dogs, never slowed down or went to anybody for pets and scratches. They all seemed nice, not aggressive toward people or other dogs. The girls said they did chill easily, and needed sweaters or coats. And they were FAST.

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited March 2015

Andrea, when our last dog passed away I decided I wanted a pair of Italian Greyhounds. I hunted around and found a breeder who was in the process of moving and she required a home for a pair, which were Mother and young Son. We made arrangements for the breeder to come and assess our house, meet us and to bring the dogs for a weekend, to see how they might fit with us. I have to tell you, it was an eye opener for both Colin and me. These little dogs couldn't learn to use the doggie door, we tried everything, me on one side with food, Colin urging them to go through from behind. The Younger one would stand on the rug in our living room, eye ball me and pee right on the rug, even though the door was open for him to go out.They were very nervous and flighty, maybe all this was due to the way they had been raised in the other home, but I called and had the breeder come pick them up. Neither Colin or I had ever had a difficult time like that, with any other dogs, so we knew these two weren't right for us.

Obviously, there will be positive stories from others with "Iggys" ,as they call them here. This was just our limited experience.

That's how we ended up with Dex, who I found at the shelter. He is a West Highland Maltese cross, doesn't shed much and although he has some issues from neglect, being badly treated and probably even having been beaten, he's a great little dog.

• AndreaJ50
    AndreaJ50 Member Posts: 704
    edited March 2015

Lol, you ladies are great. What would I do without you?? Thank you for the advice on the greyhounds. Have to admit I was a little worried that since we dont have a fence that if it got out the door it would be off in a shot never to be seen again.

Back to the drawing board. This is tough because Lucky was a great dog. He was such a perfect fit and so easy to have around.

Well, just got the 5 a.m. call that school is closed to day in anticipation on impending bad weather. We have officially lost a day from Spring break. I am not convinced it was necessary . But I am no weatherman...just an old Canadian who walked through snow storms to school every winter..uphill both ways, lol.

• SC60
    SC60 Member Posts: 403
    edited March 2015

Andrea, I would love for you to come see Allie! Finding a new member of the family is so difficult. We love our Great Danes! They are big couch potatoes who think they are lap dogs. Years ago I adopted a black lab/Newfie. He was like Nana from Peter Pan and one of the best dogs I ever had. He would lie in the front yard, paws crossed and watch the kids play. The kids could lay on him like a pillow and watch TV. My point is that you will find the perfect fit for you all. Just takes time and an open heart.

Sorry about school being cancelled today. I would hate losing any part of spring break. I too walked to school in the snow uphill both ways! And I was in NY! Lol hopefully this will be the last storm of the season! It is raining here, but should have ice/sleet/snow by the afternoon. It will be a mess, but I think yesterday's 74 degrees just teased us. Or possibly gave us a preview? I am ready for the beach!

We really need to meet in the spring! I would love to do lunch! are you going to NOLA

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited March 2015

There is an Italian Greyhound across the street from me.   He is really sweet.  Ava, who is afraid of big dogs and merely tolerates most small dogs, LOVES him.  She will cross the street to see him. He is really the only dog she likes.  He is an inside dog, and they do not have a fenced yard. He seems pretty frisky but walks well on the leash.

Rescued Greyhounds are good apartment dogs. They are very calm and used to being confined in kennels before racing,, when I lived in NYC, they were a recommended apt dog.  (realizing that you probably don't want a dog that size!)

Has it really been 2 weeks?  OMG,, it still doesn't seem real.

**waving to all**

• AndreaJ50
    edited March 2015

Well the snow came finally. I guess they knew what they were talking about. We have not had a bad winter here. Much, much worse north and south of us. And ridiculously bad for ldesim.

The Italian Greyhounds I was looking at online said they were calm...and were missing one leg. Of course I would change theur names to Tripod. Something I would not mention in the application, lol. However, my husband wants a fluffy mutt, like Lucky.

I used to have Great White Pyrenees with my first husband. Great dogs with children, and didnt eat us out of house and home surprisingly. But the hair OMGosh!!! One time it walked by my toddler (who must have had a sticky face) and she looked like SANTA!!!!

Also had a couple of Collies. I spent my days brushing dogs back then, and vaccuuming. But they were lovely dogs. Now unfortunately we have to get only small dogs in case we have to move to another rental. Otherwise I would have brought home all the pitbulls from the shelter!!!

DP would have liked all this dog talk. I picture her crossing the rainbow bridge and being loved on by the dogs greeting her there. I know Lucky would have come running to meet her.

I really want to go to NOLA. Cant believe my DH is going there in April for a conference too. It will depend on a few things, but I am hoping to go and meet you all there. SC and Glennie how will you fit your dogs in a suitcase?? Lol.

Bobo, are you bringing your kids to NOLA?

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited March 2015

almost 2 ft of snow. Garage door froze shut. Enough room for cats to get under.

Kids playing train/kitty. LM already sliced lip on box. Two empty boxes, four chairs in a row, two belts, a leash and collar.

All I want to do is eat. Maybe some hit chocolate will quell cravings.

DH had to get tractor unstuck. Not back yet. Not sure if all help showed up this am. Police saying stay home. Wonder what Walmart policy is.

Kids probably home again tomorrow. Minus temps. At least snow is powdery. Not sure how much fun LM will have.

Decided on BBQ and potato soup. Will try some of those recipes later. Thanks! Was review week. Dr Suess bday celebration.

• AndreaJ50
    edited March 2015
    Z, you have had a much worse winter than us. I hope we all have a nice spring and summer after this.
  • bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited March 2015

S, I am in the bag!

Andrea, how about a very banged-up and unattractive-looking mutt from the pound? Those can be the best ones, I think. But also I agree about the big greyhounds, is that what they are called? I love them. What about a beagle mix?

I am trying NOT to bring the kids. Arranging it now; we'll see how it goes. Either way, I am looking for lots of v fun adult time. DLLP will watch the kids if it comes to that.

V stressful time at work right now! Z, you sound like you are having snow fun at home! You are great mother. XXX

BTW, M, it is not funny, but in my stressful few days here I have been thinking about Dex going rogue and smiling. :)

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,921
    edited March 2015

Andrea, NO beagle!!! They are unbelievably loud. Remember how the huntsmen can hear them from afar when they find the prey. Look on petfinder.com. You can search by size, breed, gender, distance from you, etc.

This is what KLM does with left behind items on their flights... https://www.youtube.com/embed/NK-T_t166TY?feature=player_embedded

I think this is a beagle but extremely well trained.

• Ariom
    edited March 2015

That's fantastic, Wren! What a great dog, but i agree, not at my house. That baying they do, is so loud.and they are easily lost because they get on a scent trail and just go forever. We have them at the airport for sniffing out food in bags that isn't allowed into the country.

I have read, but can't answer, have to dash I have a busy day, with Pink Ladies first at 10am, a meeting at the bank and then lunch, will catch up later. Have a good evening. M x

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015

I'll 3rd that, NO BEAGLE!!!!!!

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

I had a beagle mix when I was a kid. He wasn't loud.  Maybe because he was a mix.

• ldesim
    ldesim Member Posts: 1,193
    edited March 2015

I don't know much about dogs.. but my neighbor across the street has a Beagle... "Henry" and he is always getting loose and running out in the Marsh and he does "bay" an awful lot... also.. my GF had an Italian Greyhound and it was always getting loose and always peeing on the kitchen floor.... in fact it passed away a couple of years ago when it ran out in the street and was hit :(

Sorry for sending my weather you way Z. Poor LM, a cut on the lip like that will be very sore.. I paper cuts worse than any other cuts and the lip is just an awful place. Are they good about clearing roads? They are with us and it was still very hard to travel the same day as the storm... sometimes worse still the next day when it gets all icy. I feel for you and I'm glad you prefer food over alcohol. This would test any parent's patience I think!

I think it will take a couple of weeks for DP to get over that bridge as she will "ooo and awe" over everything she encounters :)

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited March 2015

Poor beagles, they are getting a bad rap! M! You are very busy but I tried to skype you.

Update on MD pending! It is a lulu. Gird your loins!

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

oh,, don't leave us hanging!!  We need to know!!  My loins are girded !!

• AndreaJ50
    edited March 2015

Well, it seems my DH got tired of waiting for me to decide on a dog. He called a breeder and put his name on a waiting list for upcoming litter. So, if we are chosen, we will get a little black and white puppy the same kind as Lucky was. I guess I am not the only one missing him. DD is happy. And today is her birthday, and a snow day. So of course she is happy.

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

Happy Birthday to DD!!   A puppy is very exciting.  Just be sure it is a good reputable breeder. You don't want health issues from puppy mill pups.

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015

Chemo brain here, what was Lucky

• AndreaJ50
    edited March 2015

Lucky was a Bischon/Shih Tzu or as they call them here a Shi Chon. He was perfect. Not expecting another Lucky, but that combination seems good.

Glennie, how do I check out if it is a good breeder and not a puppy mill? They have a good website and the photos of the place look good.

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

How long is the application?  Good breeder,, expect long application.  You want vet records that pup is ok, no health problems. Spooks can probably tell you more than me.

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015

Just because they have a nice site doesn't mean much. Ask for names of people who bought previous pups, contact them. Ask THEM not the breeder about any health issues. Talk to vets in the area, ask about the breeder, how her pups are, what if any issues. Of course, you want to see mom, and dad if you can. Conditions at their home. Clean? Not cages all over, stacked up

Be aware these are "designer" dogs, cannot be registered with any reputable kennel club. There is a CKCnot to be confused with the Canadian Kennel Club. That's a good one, I'm sure you know!!

You really don't have much else to go on, no pedigrees, registries, to tell if they are puppy mills, or BYBs.

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

who needs papers??  Ava has no papers and she is the bestest dog in the whole world.

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015

Oh, I agree. But it is a way to track a dogs health, and it's breeder. Spookie came from a BYB. I'm not proud of that, but I don't have 2-3 thousand to spend for a dog. And she is healthier than some of the fluffs on Spoiled Maltese forum.

Forgive me, but it really pisses me off when idiots breed two different breeds, then charge BIG bucks for a mutt. They call them "designer" dogs Goldendoodles, maltipoos etc. Be honest, go to a shelter, adopt a mixed breed for less $$$ try to put these asses out of business.

Sorry Andrea, it's a pet peeve.

End of rant.

• AndreaJ50
    edited March 2015

Oh I agree with you Spookie, I have tried to find a dog at a shelter, but they only have big dogs it seems.

I will try and research it first. My two dogs were from BYB and were very healthy....until recently.

So far we only have given our contact info and got on a list. No application yet.

They also have a FaceBook page. I can check to see references there.

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015

A lady on my street founded Dunedin Doggie Rescue. Her group goes to kill shelters and pulls the dogs. I saw her tonight with a mini Aussie.

When I was ready for my new baby I asked her where to find puppies. She highly recommended Pet Finders.

I had to go farther than I wanted to, way over in the Panhandle, 8-9 hours. Just me an an 8 week old pup on the return trip

• Ariom
    edited March 2015

Hello ladies, just got in, had a great day and got heaps done. Pink ladies meeting was great, 15 turned up, we opened the bank account and the meeting with the bank manager was quick, then 12 went for a fun and very loud lunch. I had some more running around to do, but everything is done and dusted.

Bobo, I am sorry you tried to Skype me, you have to message me or send an email, for me to turn on Skype. I have a lot of Skype buddies and if I have it turned on all the time, my computer notifies me every time any these people log on, so it can be distracting. I am up for a Skype session just about anytime! let me know when you want to do it. How is our Princess?

MD news, don't keep me in suspenders!MedicatingI am ready to receive!

• Zillsnot4me
    edited March 2015

We broke the record of -2. It's -8. Boy home again today. Need to get allergy shots and bread. Hadn't plowed road by 6 pm last night. It's 3 miles to town and I know the horse farms have been on it. Wonder if his game is cancelled for tomorrow.

Celebration is still on for 11 tomorrow.

I think we need to do another cookie bomb to Bobo's dad.

Bobo and I have upped the anti for Saturdays game UK vs FL. Timtams! Go Big Blue!

Good luck with the dog hunt.

S was it your last infusion?

• Zillsnot4me
    edited March 2015

our local no kill shelter is in the top ten for $25000 from purina for a newI cat shelter. She's the only volunteer from Ky. You vote once a day and don't have to login. Will you please vote?

http://www.catchow.com/buildingbetterlives#/share

• AndreaJ50
    edited March 2015

Zills, I just voted.I hope your temps go up. BRRRR.

Husband wont be changed in his decision to buy a puppy from breeder.I spent hours researching the place we are considering. They have a facebook page so I was able to see actual buyers. I read about 60 reviews. There were only two bad ones, and they were anonymous reviewers with general vague complaints. Didnt seem like actual customers.

DH was never on board for rescue or shelter dog. But I was hoping to change his mind.