Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Maybe a dumb flat question?

Comments

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,921
    edited March 2015

I believe DP said she was on some kind of special medical welfare for cancer patients. If that is true, it would certainly explain the lack of interest in the medical profession. With rare exceptions, they are focused on the bottom line of their personal bank accounts. Texas has never been known to be generous to people who need help. When I lived there in the 60's and 70's they calculated what it would take for a mother with 2 children to feed them and provide minimum other things. Then they fixed the welfare payment to be 80% of that. Didn't want people to just lol around not working.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited March 2015

"You're too poor for us to care about,,, I'll take care of that person over that with good insurance."   Sadly,, all too true.  It's not what health care should be about.  It should not be about the bottom line.  **sigh**

• ldesim
    ldesim Member Posts: 1,193
    edited March 2015

Woohoo M!!! Loved everything about that post!! GIrl's on FIRE! :)

Oh good Wren, thanks for confirming!!

So glad it is Friday night.. still not feeling to good.. just feel off and have been having a bit of vertigo.

Glennie, I hope you find out good things about the one your insurance covers.. and that will solve the dilemma for you.... good thinking arranging your 2nd opinion now.

S. I couldn't say anything better than M did about the situation with your DD. I too supported myself when I moved out at 18 and my parents had money, but they weren't about to pay my way, nor did I ask or expect them to. Woo hoo to being done with Herceptin! :) SO happy for you!

Glennie, seriously you must have been in total shock, I still can't believe that and for FFS, bad enough the computer had that in there, but did the moron really have to read it to you??? WTF?

I noticed earlier that we hadn't heard from ND, then remembered... I too hope she is having a good time :)

STILL waiting on the friggin ND story! BOBO!!

{{{{DP}}}} Still on my mind all the time, miss you.

• bpgas
    bpgas Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2015

My aunt once said 'it's hard to get right amount of a teenager'.

• ldesim
    edited March 2015

She was on some sort of medicaid or something similar.. she stated she took a cut in salary to be eligible. From day 1 it didn't appear that her Dr's listened to her at all.. here was this girl (and I'm not trying to upset anybody, I apologize if I am) who half the time.. while in the midst of radiation AND chemo.. was running back and forth between Drs and never appearing to get a straight answers.never getting her test results.. never getting answers to her concerns. Constantly seemed to have treatment delayed.. etc. etc. etc... I honestly have to wonder if the family doesn't have grounds for a lawsuit. It appears she was undergoing trial treatment in the early months, but I don't get why you would be in a trial program if you hadn't gone the normal course.. usually trial is when other methods have failed.. at least in my opinion ... so many unanswered questions... but iall these things just keep spinning around and round in my mind and I can't get it to stop.

And it crossed my mind that it could have been the insurance, but I really couldn't go any further with that line of thinking, I mean, that is just absolutely dreadful... I have no words.. it's like the theory some ppl have that there is a cure for cancer, but too much money would be lost... I really can't bring myself to acknowledge the possibility of that, because, maybe I am naive, or in denial, but I can't no matter how hard I try, believe that people would sit around and watch other people die senselessly.

Again, apologies, I don't want to get everybody down or upset anybody lol.

Ok, I think I purged that now.

• ldesim
    edited March 2015

Hi BP, meant to say hello to you earlier too!!

• AndreaJ50
    AndreaJ50 Member Posts: 704
    edited March 2015

L, vertigo is horrible...even when it is minor. A neurologist told me when I have vertigo to take Benadryl She said they don't know why it works, but it does. And it worked for me!! I also take motion sickness meds. I think it is called dimenhydrinate.

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited March 2015

poor l. Vertigo sucks. I had it bad when LM was a baby. Now I blame it on the tamox, lack of sleep, allergies, etc. Mine is usually mild and goes away after a long few seconds. I think there is a virus now as my niece has had it. They gave her prednisone. I've also heard Xanax works. So you have some OTC options and others. I think you can get mecklazine OTC. Makes you sleepy.

I believe it was your dad M. How cool and scary.

Are you all trying to scare me with teenager stories? LM is already stubborn. Found out some more about her family history last night. It will be a miracle if she's not addicted, an alcoholic or depressed. Let's hope nurture wins.

Told bond he had a pocketful of crazy women today. Hope the celebration goes without too much family drama.

Hope bobo isn't sick. Go Big Blue!

I had DPs insurance during my 8 months of treatment. I had the chief of surgery and oncology. But my GS did her residency there and my aunt did fundraising there and both called. Was it luck of the draw? My records don't indicate those conversations.

I do believe there is why bother prejudice for both low income and stage IV. I don't feel like she got the best care either but we don't know the whole story.

Boy keeps telling everyone it's his bday celebration. His and four others. He even made a big Star Wars ship (as long as the couch) with satellite ships. It's hanging on the wall for "decoration."

Still need to make snow cream this am, purple cake and find the peppa pig dress I hid!

3 2 1

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited March 2015

from bond

I just got back from walking the boys and said soon as I get back I'm going to write you a little note and say keep me in your prayers today. Tell all the crazy ladies I love them and can't believe the amount of support from a group of people I've never met love you all Bond

• AndreaJ50
    AndreaJ50 Member Posts: 704
    edited March 2015

Poor Bond. Today will be a rough day for him, and the grandparents. I hope DP has a lovely send off. She deserved that, and so much more.

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited March 2015

Hi Z and Andrea, just heading to bed, it is after Midnight here. So glad we heard from Bond, it will be such a difficult day for him. I am very chuffed that he loves us as we do him and he knows we're in his pocket today! We didn't name him Bond, for nothing! I hope it all goes well today and our girl gets a wonderful send off.

Chat later when it is my morning....M x

• Ariom
    edited March 2015

Hello BPgas! Your Aunt was right! Sorry you have to be here, but Welcome!

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

(((BOND))   You are always in our thoughts.

Thanks for passing on the message, Z.     

LM may be stubborn,, and it might be difficult for you in her teenage years (and before), but the good thing about having a stubborn, mindful girl, is that hopefully, she will be tough enough to not be taken advantage of by bad people, and swayed to do bad things by her peers.  All you can do is set a good example.  Hoping nuture wins. 

Is it really Boy's birthday? or is he pretending cuz LM's birthday is so close?

Vertigo sucks.  Glad you found meds that help.

**waving to all**    Running out for bird seed. Back later.

• SC60
    SC60 Member Posts: 403
    edited March 2015

Good night M

Good Morning everyone! It is chilly this morning! We do have the hope of 50 degrees! Looking forward to letting the dogs go outside and get the zoomies out!

My heart and thoughts are with Bond and the grands today. Surely it will be bittersweet. I love how he said he took the boys for a walk! I am sure DP is smiling down from above!

Allie sends lovies and slobbers! Her spay has left her no worse for the wear!

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2015

With you all in spirit right now. Sending prayers to Bond and GPs and everyone else.

• ldesim
    edited March 2015

Hi all... I said a little prayer for DP at Noon and had a little chat with her. The text from Bond brought a smile to my face and again I am so thankful that DP had such a lovely man in her life. I'm sure it was such a long day for him and the Grans, and now the worse part begins as they attempt to move on. I hope there was no drama, it would be a tough enough day.. but unfortunately these situations seem to bring out the worst in people.

I feel fine today, had that feeling for about 6 hours and then it went away as quickly as it came last night. Thank you for all the advice.. I hope I never have to utilize it, but if I do, at least I'll be prepared. I'm still feeling crappy, and I am still having way too many hot flashes. I'm wondering if I am now going through real menopause? It's been over 2 years since I've had a period, which as far as I'm concerned is the only good SE to Tamoxifen!

S, that is the cutest damn picture :)

Z, what's the purple cake for? Her bday is a few days away isn't it? *confused* You have to love the imagination of little boys.. I'm so glad he was able to enhance your decor :)

Ok.. so I've been set the task of filling you all in on the latest MD development, which I think deserves it's own separate post... so go get yourselves a little snack and your favorite hot beverage, because it's coming up in

3, 2, 1

• Ariom
    edited March 2015

Oh good, I am here for the MD update!

Morning everyone, I went to sleep thinking about DP and woke up feeling lighter, knowing she has had her send off and all that love and beautiful things remembered and spoken about her. I am sure, she is flying with the Angels. This is the hardest part now, for Bond and her family, moving on without her.

Sc, Allie is so beautiful, those eyes are fantastic and I can imagine she is like black velvet to touch. I love that double diamond blaze on her chest. Glad to hear she hasn't suffered from her surgery.

Glennie is right Z, willful and stubborn may help her through the tough times in school, with other kids.

I am ready ldesim, turning the page right now. M x

• Ariom
    edited March 2015

oooops, not here yet, must be a longish one!

• ldesim
    edited March 2015

Poor Bobo was having a really treacherous day... she had the sick princess and issues at work with deadlines, so what better way to top the day off, then with a little motherly love. MD being the thoughtful and loving woman that we all know her to be, was requesting Bobo and DLLP's email addresses so that she could send them an invitation to her magic wash cloth party. Apparently, MD's friend has discovered the magical healing properties of wash cloths, infused with silver and she wished to share this groundbreaking breakthrough via a party and was offering Bobo and DLLP (who she has now decided she hates) the unique opportunity of attending this party so that they may purchase some of these wonder cloths. I'm wondering if they can cure cancer..... because.....

When Bobo called MD later on that day to have the kids sing happy birthday to her, she asked Bobo to go in another room away from the kids so that she could inform her that she has.... penis cancer. Yes, you read that correctly, it appears that MD has a touch of the penis cancer and will be seeing Bobo's dads same doctor and will be starting chemotherapy for 6 weeks in the Spring. Mind you, she hasn't had a biopsy or any MRI's but since she had blood in her urine and had a pap smear to rule out UTI, she decided that she has the same thing as Bobo's father and will get treatment from the same Doctor. Now the unbelievable thing to all this is, she somehow got her PCP to give her a referral to the Dr. that is treating Bobo's father! More unbelievable than that is the fact that she is/was a teacher?!?!?!? I'm still reeling over that little morsel of information.. because don't you know... teacher's are prone to getting penis cancer because they have to "hold it' more often than the average person.....

And this folks has not been embellished on any level, this is directly from the Bobo's mouth.

And please forgive me, for being nonchalant about the subject matter... no cancer is a laughing matter as we all know.. I think there is a special place in hell for anybody that would attempt to seek attention in such a manner.....

Bobo, hope I did it justice.. that was even more pressure than ribbon shopping!!!!! Damn you! :)

• ldesim
    edited March 2015

lol M, I can picture you glued to your screen!!! peeing myself :)

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

i did not just read that.  it is not possible.  FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!   Mods, please have mercy on me.  How can MD have penis cancer???  "Hold it more than the average person??"   WTF does that mean???

• SC60
    edited March 2015

WTF. I think my eyeballs fell out of the sockets as I peed myself from laughing so hard! Please don't put her in my profession. No, wait, maybe she taugh PE and Health? ROFLMAO!!!!!

• Ariom
    edited March 2015

Oh my giddy Aunt! I decided to take a shower, because the suspense was killing me, while you wrote that little gem!

I feel like you, I would never make light of anyone's actual cancer, but what's this about? Bladder=Penis?????? Pap Smear to test for a UTI, shit we've been doing it all wrong here, we have always thought a urine test could Dx a UTI. I'm telling Colin! He'll need to look into having a pap smear next time! Ouch!

Me thinks perhaps they are testing the wrong end, I would be trying to assess if there is a little Dementia, at play here.

Bobo, you have my commiserations, your Mother takes the cake!

ldesim, thank you for that succinct report!

I am scratching my head, wondering what will be next from MD and about to walk out the door to get my organic stuff from the Farmer's Market. I shall return. M x

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited March 2015

well, one teensy morsel of that "might" be true. As a school bus driver, without the luxury of a potty down the hall, I did have to hold it for longer than usual. Can't leave the brats alone to go pee.

But, last time I checked, I still don't have penis Cancer. Or a penis to get it in.

• ldesim
    edited March 2015

To clarify.. she didn't literally say she had penis cancer.. she said she had the same cancer as Bobo's father......

Spookie, I have a bladder the size of a thimble, I would have had to wear adult diapers to do your job.

Better to pee yourself S, don't be holding it.

Miracle magic cloth anybody?

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

So she said penis cancer,, but she really has bladder cancer??

• ldesim
    edited March 2015

No.. Bobo said penis cancer.. I'm ashamed to say it was cracking me up the way she was saying it. .MD hopefully doesn't have any cancer. If I recall, he is dealing with bladder & prostate .

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015

But if they are Magic Miracle cloths, wouldn't one swipe cure whatever ails you????

Poor Bobo, having to deal with her

• SC60
    edited March 2015

Oh, she has prostrate cancer. So glad we cleared that up! Seriously she is so over the top! I too think the elevator isn't going to the top floor anymore. How old is she? BTW, teachers train themselves to potty when their schedules permit. We also train the kids to go at certain times. (Emergencies notwithstanding) The bus drivers have it the worst because their routes are long and they can't get someone next door to cover for them!

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015

Not to mention finding a place to PARK the damn thing so you can pee!!!! LO