Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Maybe a dumb flat question?

Comments

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,921
    edited August 2014

It's just amazing so many survive to adulthood. I saw a bumper sticker that said "Grandchildren are your reward for not killing your kids." We are currently visiting grandchildren who are behaving in very annoying ways.

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited August 2014

Bobo could be talking about my two. Except BG can't reach freezer. She slams the fridge and the freezer pops open. Melted Popsicles and thawed meat. Ugh. And mine still have to come get in bed with us in the morning. If you don't respond, they'll pull your eyelid back, put ice cold feet on you, bounce on your bladder. 

DP my children would love the shower chair.  DH installed one of those hand held attachments for after my BMX. It beats having someone bathe you. 

• DeliriumPie
    DeliriumPie Member Posts: 1,186
    edited August 2014

Oh how I love this merry band bobo!  I don't know what is do without checking in with all of you. the chair came today. Haven't put it together yet. Bf will get up at 4am and do it for me I'm sure. Meanwhile aeropilates is collecting dust which is a shame because I need to be moving but the motion jars my head a bit, so I am refraining. Picked up a vanity for my bedroom tonight too. The hour it takes me to stand in the bathroom for hair and makeup has become too exhausting. I'm just falling apart I guess. 

The clueless tacos are actually delicious. It's her signature dish. She is still clueless, but that's just her. I'm quite sure she has realized now that she can't count on me anymore. Turning in my std paperwork on Tuesday. Ugh. Just trying to tune it all out. When I think about everything going on at work and the poor decisions and undoing of what I've done just pisses me off. I am very lucky to have such a caring group of people around me though. They would do anything for me if I would let them. 

• DeliriumPie
    edited August 2014

I have a yummy easy tex mex recipe to share. Made it tonight for BFs 4 year sobriety birthday celebration. 

I also add a cup of diced pickled jalepenos. Drain the corn and rotel. Mix all together then bake in a shallow dish at 350 for 25-30 mins. 

Popsicles sound good. It's almost 10pm and still in the 90s. 

• dawny
    dawny Member Posts: 588
    edited August 2014

ooh, a new dip to try, thanks DP, I had to google rotel tho, and I am guessing that mexicorn, is just corn with mex flavourings?  Sounds good.  Good on your bf, celebrating four years.  I think you should let your friends do what they would like for you!

Andrea, I am not sure a want to eat a baby's butt cake, either, like the photo cakes.

Zills, bouncing on the bladder is so much fun, not

Xx

• Zillsnot4me
    edited August 2014

Mexicorn is just sweet corn with chopped peppers. Either red and green bell peppers or red and jalapeño peppers. 

That sounds like the new dish I tried this summer. Very yummy! Except mine was cold and used chili cheese Fritos.  I didn't use as much cheese and eyeballed everything else. Add Fritos just before serving so they don't get soggy. 

I apologize if I posted this before. I'm blaming it on lack of estrogen not chemo. However I love, love this. Do not sit it next to me. Maybe a good recipe for Bobo to make for md. 

• Zillsnot4me
    edited August 2014

I found a rescue lab. Local shelter fees are $100. She's $375 and WE must pass inspection. Is that right? 

• DeliriumPie
    edited August 2014

yes the mexicorn just has chopped peppers in it. Green giant makes one. I also like the Spanish style one that has onions and black beans. Had to laugh t googling rotel. Some things you just take for granted. It's a total staple around here and the backbone in any good queso dip. 

Zills I have mixed feelings about the rescue groups like that. I completely appreciate what they are doing and try to remember that they so it all with the dogs best interest at heart but it can be of putting for sure. We had to have two visitations and a home visit to get Reggie and he was pretty pricey. It makes me feel a bit more heroic to go to the shelter myself. Toby, on the other hand, was a clearance dog at the local shelter. He was supposed to be the pet of the month but they forgot to put his picture on the website. He was $15 and was next in line to be neutered for free. He was really quite a bargain. We laugh at that and blame all of his quirks on the fact that he was from the bargain basement.  Good luck with your inspection. 

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited August 2014

Zills:  a lot of rescue groups are like that,, very strict.  My friends got so discouraged that they ended up getting puppies at the flea market.  They felt like the adoption process was like adopting a child.  I haven't had that badly of an experience. I did fill out a lot of papers when I adopted Ava,, but she came from an English Bulldog rescue group. Those dogs have such health problems which can be quite expensive, so they want to make sure that the potential adopters are WELL aware of that before they adopt. Since Ava wasn't in that category, and I had previously owned a pit bull, they were thrilled to let me have her. And she was only $80!!    It seems like the breed specific rescue group are more difficult than just a general rescue group that accepts any breed.  Are you going to have the inspection?

DP:  Toby is bargain basement!! You got him on Sale!! Awwwwww.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited August 2014

My groomer was fostering Kris. I've known her for at least 10 years, but we still had the home inspection. Checked for fenced yard, how Spookie and he got along, iDK what else. Seems the fee was about 250, but that was to help cover their expense of neuter, dental, microchip. 

• glennie19
    edited August 2014

Spooks:  I was actually surprised that they didn't charge more for Ava.  They had her spayed. She had a tail injury and they ended up docking her tail when she got spayed because it wouldn't heal. She wags her tail so much that she kept splitting the wound open, so now she has a short stubby tail. And they had her for a whole year before I adopted her.  I know they spent way more money on her than $80.  I can see paying for the spay, care, etc. 

• DeliriumPie
    edited August 2014

yea Toby is a scratch and dent for sure. I don't know if anyone but me would have had the patience to drag him out of the shelter on his belly. He was so timid and had gotten used to the lady there. He did NOT want to leave. 

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited August 2014

Kris was a runner, found on the streets here. His story is long, but not usual. What nobody knew is, he does NOT like kids. Or any smallish adult who resembles a kid. I think in his previous home some kids were REALLY mean to him, he saw an open door and escaped. When my grands are here he cowers in a corner and growls at them. But he's good with adults and other dogs. 

• AndreaJ50
    AndreaJ50 Member Posts: 704
    edited August 2014

So my daughter convinced me to buy her a hamster yesterday. It is adorable. It rolls around the house in a plastic ball and ran on its wheel all night. Cute.

Then this morning I went into the garage and saw a mouse and screamed and ran back into the house, slamming the door behind me.  Does that make any sense??

• glennie19
    edited August 2014

DP:  poor Toby.  I had a very timid Black Lab once. He had lived out in the country and had never been inside a house before. I actually had to train him to come inside. And "town" noises freaked him out. I would try to walk him on a leash, and the UPS truck would go by and he would yank the leash out of my hand and make a beeline for home. he was really sweet. Would bark when the door bell rang,, either mine or the one on TV!

Spookie:  Poor Kris! It's too bad he isn't used to the Grands now. It's hard for dogs to get over that kind of trauma.

Andrea:  totally understand.  A hamster is not a mouse. Hamsters are cute. I had them before with the little ball, and they would go rolling around the floor.

• DeliriumPie
    edited September 2014

Toby doesn't mind noises too much but he watches tv and barks at animals on there. His first night, I woke up at 3am to him barking like there was something in the house. Took me a minute to figure out he was barking at a horse on tv. Crazy dog. 

Getting kind of scary today. My involuntary knee movement episodes are increasing in frequency and severity. It started my first night home from hospital but doesn't usually last long. Today my rads were at a different hospital so we has to walk around a while to find where to go. If bf had not been with me, I would have been in the floor. Took about five minutes to pull myself together. Then it took to long to walk to the machine and I had to grab the wall while the tech was talking to me so I wouldn't fall. Then a pretty bad longer episode after I got home. Yet another thing I have taken for granted my whole life, motor function. But maybe it's positive that my brain is sending extra signals instead of not enough. I caught a clip on forensic files this week saying that without function if your cerebellum, your heart can't function. Great timing... 

• azpreferred
    azpreferred Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2014

I had a double mastectomy in 2009 with no reconstruction due post surgical radiation and size of tumor. I have bilateral prosthesis ..I wear to work and when the occasion calls for them. You will be flat..not concave. There was an adjustment period and a change of clothing styles . Majority of people do not notice . I have no regrets. Also have two sizes...B and C cups. Go to a place that specializes in fitting and try everything on. My insurance covered part of cost. Hope this helps. 

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,504
    edited September 2014

Welcome 'azpreferred' to a community of supportive and compassionate individuals. We are glad you have posted on BCO as a 6 year survivor with BMx and no recon, your experience could be very valuable to pass onto others who are, or are considering joining the Flat Sisters.

We like to encourage members to fill in as much of their profile
    as possible so that other members can get a good idea of where you are at
    regarding stage, treatment etc and that way members are better equipped to
    discuss issues. You can add your Dx and treatment details under My Profile - top right corner of each page.

If you need more help on this you can check out our help
    section: Help

Sending you our best wishes with your treatment and recovery.

The moderators.  

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited September 2014

Thank you Mods.

• bobogirl
    edited September 2014

Hey there DP, we are with you!  Sounds like a shitful trip to the new hospital.  Bobo is driving me crazy today!  We had to put him out of the bedroom this morning; he cried to get back in, then laid on top of us.  He is 70 pounds!

Hoping these rads are going to kick those involuntary movements to the curb.  You deserve the very best, you brave bad-ass warrior princess!  Sending you hugs and kisses.  XOXOXOXO

• AndreaJ50
    AndreaJ50 Member Posts: 704
    edited September 2014

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN CANCER!!

Such a scary time for you DP; I am so sorry that you are going through this!! 

Radiation seems to work quickly though, so I hope your knee problems clear up soon.  Enough already!! Right?!

(((HUGS)))

Andrea

• DeliriumPie
    edited September 2014

enough already for sure!!  Tried sleeping in again this morning but I woke up early feeling good. Which was nice and unusual but I was thinking maybe my brain is tired and needs more rest. I'm always analyzing and looking for patterns. So maybe it's the steroids or maybe I have I finally caught up on resting.  Went to bed before 1am for the first time in ages.   I hope everyone is doing well. 

• SC60
    SC60 Member Posts: 403
    edited September 2014

Hi DP,

Made another blender full of Piña Coladas and brought my frozen glasses for rads!  With you all the way!

Susan

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited September 2014

In the bag for you DP! all the time.

• NoRecon
    NoRecon Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014

Oh Delirium Pie. My heart goes out to you.  Yes there is hope.  I went thru the same thing.  bilateral mastectomy ten months ago.  It took time for me to adjust to looking at myself.  I was horrified at first and cried every time I looked.  I covered my mirrors for two months.  Time healed my head and my heart thankfully.  I wish my chest were more flat.  One side is too puffy and the other has a dog ear.  Maybe one day I will get the dog ear part fixed but I'm in no hurry.  The important thing for me is I have my life back and I'm pain free.  And so far cancer free too.  I will not give breast cancer five more minutes of my life then what was needed to save my life.  Reconstructed breast make no sense to me and I love feeling like I'm giving breast cancer the finger everyday by refusing reconstruction!!

• glennie19
    edited September 2014

GAH!  F involuntary knee movements!  Hoping these rads kick that to the curb. Will you be back at the usual hospital tomorrow?   In the bag also.  

Frozen Pina Coladas and cold glasses,,, Susan, that's the bomb.

Bobo:  Bobo dog just wants to be near you.  He wants to comfort you. 

• DeliriumPie
    edited September 2014

poor little bobo just needed some love!  Aww. So ready to try these piña coladas. One of my very favorite drinks. What could be better than a milkshake with booze in it!? Genius concoction. Before I was old enough to drink, my favorites were all those nasty kaluah drinks. Now the thought of that makes me want to hurl. lol. But piña coladas are just right. 

Thank you norecon. I'm so glad you are doing well. 

• DeliriumPie
    edited September 2014

I may officially be an invalid now. Went to rads at the hospital again. Parked in the right lot this time. Decided the front of the hospital looked like a good place to lie down for a moment. Luckily bf is strong and I felt it coming, so I was just able to kind of melt onto the ground instead of falling. Got a nice ride in in a wheelchair. Dr just said to keep taking steroids. Oh and go to the er if it gets worse. Worse is hard to judge since these things happen out of nowhere. Argh. Just fix my brain already. 

• bobogirl
    edited September 2014

Yeah, Dr, just fix our DP's brain already!  Zut!  Melting down into a supine position in front of the hospital -- however gently and elegantly -- sucks!  That Dr is on my sh*tlist.  Does he need a good slapping?

SGC has got us fixed up with pina coladas... she has got a savage streak in her, I tell you, she makes a perfect friend. We are all in the bag.  I bring plantain chips to go with the drinks.  From Trader Joe's.  I swear, if I could have unlimited plantain chips I would be 3000 pounds.

Bobo did NOT just need my attention this morning.  He slept on me all night.  He just wanted us to wake up and get the party started!  *spoiled*

In the bag for you DP!  You are a brilliant and formidable warrior princess who makes laying down in front of the hospital look like the trick of a gymnast.  Standing by! XXXX

• glennie19
    edited September 2014

DP:  I'm sure you were quite graceful in your slide. And who wants to walk all over a hospital anyway? Now if they would only pimp up those wheelchairs and make them more stylin'

I'm in the bag for doctor slapping. And pina coladas. And plaintain chips. Some would say I'm easy,,,,, They are no longer with us.  **innocent look**