Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Maybe a dumb flat question?

Options

Comments

• DeliriumPie
    DeliriumPie Member Posts: 1,186
    edited November 2013
    Options

my appts are in the afternoon and they Have called me in the morning twice and once just as I was walking out the door to the appt. my center only has one machine. I think I should switch to mornings as it seems to break down in the middle of the day. Yesterday they said they might open this weekend for us so we don't get further behind. A few days in the grand scheme of things isn't huge since I won't be finished with chemo until February anyway, but no one told my skin that I missed any rads. I'm really starting to have some issues and the missed treatments just mean prolonging things as ft as I can tell. The inside hurts all the time and since yesterday I've developed a nice dark red rectangle marking my radiation field. I'm currently trying to talk myself into putting my bra and foobs on so I can go to work, but I'm losing the argument so far.

Peaceful wishes today zills. I know you will do fine. How many txs will you have? Let's start the countdown.

• honeybair
    honeybair Member Posts: 234
    edited November 2013
    Options

Experienced a delay in treatment yesterday because the computer was down and it took over 30 minutes to reboot it. My radiation center has several different types of machines so whatever type treatment is designed for you, that is the machine that is used for the duration. My treatment has been delayed for four days and so my time stretches into the week before Thanksgiving. Won't we all be jumping for joy (energy permitting) when we are done? i am just happy that radiation is much shorter than the time it takes to complete chemo.

I am fortunate in that 21 Century Radiology where I go is 3 minutes from my home. Any of you go to one of their facilities?. They have 98 of them in the nation and the one I go to is beautiful.

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited November 2013
    Options

More measurements today. Come back again tomorrow. Not sure how many yet. 30? 33? 35? Time different this week and next. Be glad once I get into a routine. Parking is easier first thing in the morning and I can come home and nap and may not have after school care.

I go to the local university. It's a national cancer institute. Everyone I've met have been very nice and helpful.

Do you all dress/undress in the rad room? Not that I have anything to be modest about. Just thought it was strange. Saw the face masks and full body but no bum apparatus. Or maybe I don't know what I'm looking at.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited November 2013
    Options

yes, I'd go in the rad room, take my top off, no buttons grab a towel and get cooked. I had a male student there for a while. I was a bit self conscious, but it's his work no different than a male doc.

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2013
    Options

I think these machines break down all the time. At my place, they gave you a $5 coupon for the hospital cafeteria. I guess that helps to make sure you're a repeat customer at the hospital by making you sick.

Where I went, you sat in reception until someone came on the loud speaker (HIPAA???) and announced your name and that you should come on back. Then you had to change into your gown and wait in another waiting area. I was not self-conscious, but it was not really my cup of tea to sit there all flat and anybody could walk by.

• DeliriumPie
    edited November 2013
    Options

I finally hit the halfway mark. 17 down 16 to go. They did my simulation for boosts today. They put stickers and drew all over me which hurt like heck since my skin is so bad today. Then she says I have to keep the paint pen on for the rest of treatment. They put a little x on me with paint pen a couple weeks ago bcuz I guess one of my tattoos moved. Anyway that thing didn't last a day with all my slathering. I peeked under my gown and I have a big circle around my scar. It was smeared before I even left the building.

My center has men's and ladies changing rooms which consist of a little room with a curtain and cubbies in there to hold our gowns (they only want to wash them once a week) with a small area with three chairs outside the curtain to wait until you get called to the room. No one bothers to tie their gowns. It's only a few steps to the room. The techs always apologize for invading my space when they are putting the bolis on. I told them I lost all sense of modesty and personal space a long time ago. After everyone in town felt my boobs for months and now not having any, my body doesn't really feel like my body. I was put off at one ps visit when they made me wear nothing but a blue post it note with rubber bands (they were technically paper panties, but completelyridiculous) and then brought out the camera. I found it humorous that after first visits, no one anywhere bothered to leave the room any more when I dressed and undressed. We are all family now I guess.

• Zillsnot4me
    edited November 2013
    Options

one down 29 to go. Get off for thanksgiving. More measurements and more sharpies but finally got it done. Arm a little sore from the awkward position. Did shed a few tears. Will have the bolus MWF.

• Zillsnot4me
    edited November 2013
    Options

DP. You ok? Puppy and Reggie ok?

• DeliriumPie
    edited November 2013
    Options

oh my goodness. I just signed on thinking I should say hi since I've been away for a while. What an insane week plus some it has been. I just can't get away from my job fast enough. I have been looking for something else for bf before I call it quits and leave him in the insanity. Meanwhile, we have been getting huge orders from existing clients. Then last Tuesday, a huge account that we bid in a month ago decides to call and say they want to use us and need 150 people to start on Thursday. This is a huge new employer to our area (I may have suggested you buy something on their website a few days ago) with two fulfillment centers about 40 miles apart from each other. We worked all day and night Wednesday getting people ready to start and showed up for a meeting with them 8am Thursday at the site near our office. No one there knew who the guy was we were asking for.,,.. You guessed it, he was at the other location, wondering where we, and his 150 temps were. So not only did we have a bunch of angry people showing up to work where they had no job, we had zero people to go to the correct location and no pool of people or office to work from on the other side of town. We have been working day and night since them trying to dig out of this hole. And we are still not there. I was so defeated and angry on Saturday night at the debacle, and continued incompetence of nearly everyone at my company, that I was ready to just walk away. I sucked it up though, told bf to get serious on the job search, and continued to soldier on.

Puppy is driving Reggie batty. Since I have started keeping all shoes in the house out if the floor, he has decided to chew on Reggie round the clock. He's a real handful.

In treatment news, I missed another treatment last week use to the machine being down. But they opened the office this weekend and I was able to slip away from work on Saturday and Sunday in order to make up two of my missed treatments. I figured out today, that if I can stay in schedule and the machine cooperates that I will be finished the day before thanksgiving. That would be so nice. If I had not missed any treatments, I would have has my 33rd and last treatment the day before my 33rd birthday. So much for that milestone marker. My skin has really taken a turn for the worse. Not broken yet, but so red, purple, brown and itching and painful. Hoping it will hold up, I feel like I can see the finish like now. I start cycle three of chemo this Wednesday. I do two weeks on and one off each cycle. I'm worrying about my skin for that because it always gets so inflamed and irritated the day after infusions.

How are you zills? Are you and the kiddos staying well? How is rads so far? Did you find a cream you like? Are you cooking for thanksgiving?

• spookiesmom
    edited November 2013
    Options

DP I woke up one morning during rads to soaked Jammie's. My skin was so bad it was oozing clear fluid. I was using Biafine then silvadine. For itchey I had lidocaine ointment I had 4 to go plus boosts. They gave me a week off, did boosts, then last 4.

Stay in close touch with your RO or nurse. It can turn nasty fast.

Puppy kisses from Spookie

• DeliriumPie
    edited November 2013
    Options

Ohhhh spookiesmom, that is terrible! And frightening. Your right about how fast it happens. Just before last weekend I was thinking I might get lucky since my skin was not even very pink. Then the red marking the rad field popped up overnight. Then no change for a few days and the itching and purple blotches popped up. Yuck yuck yuck. Don't freak out zills. Everyone is different. I've talked to a lot of ladies who didn't have any problems at all.

• spookiesmom
    edited November 2013
    Options

The itchey was worse than poison ivy. I'd lost all my nails from chemo, good I couldn't scratch, bad I couldn't scratch! The lidocaine numbed it, that really helped. And you're right, some make it through with few problems.

• georgie1112
    georgie1112 Member Posts: 104
    edited November 2013
    Options

Sheila,

Hope you get through. I remember the last half I got really stressed. Aloe and vitamin E cream helped me. Sorry you won't be finished for your Bday, but hopefully for Thanksgiving! Hang in there.

Hugs,

Georgie

• DeliriumPie
    edited November 2013
    Options

I woke up at 3am and my side was on fire. I had been sleeping on it with my trusty heart pillow that I hold like a football. My nightgown was stuck to me, I thought from all the cream I has put in. I felt it and thought I had impression marks from the seams of my nightgown. This morning after I got up I was putting on aquafor under my shirt and not looking because I was multitasking, and they are big blisters raised up and puffy. No foobs for this girl today.

• Zillsnot4me
    edited November 2013
    Options

I'm so sorry. My JS lady said to put your left hand on or hover over the hot spot and put your right hand on top of your left. Hold or hover for 20 min if possible. You may feel your hands get hot or your stomach talk. It's supposed to remove the heat. Also place your palms on your calves to heal your skin. I do both every day.

I'm glad you were doing ok. Sorry work is crazy.

• DeliriumPie
    edited November 2013
    Options

very interesting. I'm going to try it.

• spookiesmom
    edited November 2013
    Options

Call your RO!!!! ASAP. He may want to see you, should rx something to prevent infection, and you should get a break from rads.

• DeliriumPie
    edited November 2013
    Options

I went this afternoon and the techs said they would still treat me because the blisters are not open yet. And that when they open he will prescribe me something. I wanted to ask if he could go ahead and prescribe so I would have it when it happened, but all the stress of the weekend and day caught up with me when I was laying on the table and I wanted to leave before anyone saw me having my meltdown. I will ask tomorrow.

• spookiesmom
    edited November 2013
    Options

Ok, I feel better for you. As long as they are aware. I don't have any other words of wisdom, just baby it. Watch out for doggy paws.

• Zillsnot4me
    edited November 2013
    Options

DP. How did it go today? They give you any relief?

• Zillsnot4me
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hope you had a good birthday. Maybe you should tell BF you want a rain check so you can enjoy it properly without your chest being on fire.

• DeliriumPie
    edited November 2013
    Options

hi zills. No relief yet. My blisters are still in tact but I went ahead and got the silvadine rx from the mo for when the moment comes. Had chemo yesterday and it was pretty uneventful. Except for going out if the house foobless for the first time for an extended period. I made my outfit very "interesting" and topped it off with a scarf I just got from bobo. I still felt very strange.

My birthday isn't until the 23rd. Ironically enough, I told bf I want him to take me to go see Catching Fire which comes out the day before. I had that plan before I knew I was going to be the "girl on fire". Ha! How are your traatments going so far?

• Zillsnot4me
    edited November 2013
    Options

Treatments fine. Just tired. Glad you got some Rx in case you need it this weekend. Are you allowed to use anything while it's blistered? Lidocaine based for the pain? One more day. Any weekend plans?

I'm sure going foobless felt strange. Shame it's not warm outside. I bet some air on it would be good.

• DeliriumPie
    edited November 2013
    Options

glad it's ok so far. They said I could use cortisone for the itching and I still use remedy until the skin breaks then switch to silvadine. It has been cold here this week but that hasn't stopped me from walking around topless in te back yard as much as I can stand. Luckily it was too cold for that yesterday morning. I wa sitting in the patio talking on the phone and the pool guy scares te heck out of me. Glad I had my robe on and he only saw my wacky hair. Lol. No weekend plans. Hoping to get some rest and maybe clean a little. The house is a wreck.

• honeybair
    edited November 2013
    Options

I am experiencing discomfort, tightness and some pain where I had my surgery. I am sure the radiation may be contributing. Finding it hard to remain comfortable in bed and have to resort to sleeping in a recliner. Is this normal? Needless to say, I am whipped after each week of radiation. Thankfully, Tuesday will be my final day under the broiler. Skin is really red but holding together.

I guess recovery from the physical trauma of the surgery will just take a long time. I am having a really hard time and this is with no reconstruction.

• Jennie93
    Jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    edited November 2013
    Options

honeybair, yes, sad to say, that is all very normal. I finished rads in May, skin healed up quickly but the pain and tightness around scar & armpit remain. Been going to PT but it doesn't seem to do much. Everyone keeps telling me "it just takes time". Apparently a lot of time! Sigh......

• spookiesmom
    edited November 2013
    Options

My bmx was Last Dec. I still hurt along the incision, ca side. I was told its because of the rads. Nothing like it was. Hang in!

• honeybair
    edited November 2013
    Options

Spookiesmom and Jennie, thanks for sharing your experiences with me. Guess this is normal and I will just have to get used to it.

• DeliriumPie
    edited November 2013
    Options

im sorry honeybair. I hope it gets better for you. I am having the same issue. I'm in terrible pain on rads side constantly but occasionally have pain in the right too. I like sleeping on the love seat with all the back cushions taken off and just lean back on it. Congrats on being done being zapped.

I massacred my aloe plan last night. It was a lot of work for a little amount of gel. But it did provide some relief for a while. I saved a little in the fridge. Have resisted it all day to save it for tonight. Does anyone know where I can buy the pure aloe gel other than whole foods or some other fancy place? I don't want to make a long trip. I'm thinking gnc, cvs, Walmart? I will have to get out tomorrow anyway. The constant pain is excruciating now. My skin is so tight and crispy that every movement is painful. Especially laying down or sitting up from bed. I can't wait for this to be over.

• spookiesmom
    edited November 2013
    Options

I found some gel at Walmart last summer, good stuff. It's for when you get sunburn. My RO ok'ed it. It's called Ocean Potion. Has aloe,comfrey,tea tree,arnica and lidocaine. I used it on the rad burn, now I use it for PN in my feet. Feels cool, but not cold going on.