Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Maybe a dumb flat question?

Options

Comments

• grammaB
    grammaB Member Posts: 1,118
    edited January 2014
    Options

I have to admit that I do eat spam.  Always have it in the cupboard.  My first DH was Chinese, and MIL cooked with it often. Now that I am on a very low carb high fat moderate protein way of eating it fits in just fine!! It is a fast and easy meal. If you can share, would love the recipe!

• DeliriumPie
    DeliriumPie Member Posts: 1,186
    edited January 2014
    Options

here it is. A bit lengthy. I think they are working on simplifying it to fit on a can. Lol. I couldn't put it in the official recipe, but I used lea &perrins Worcestershire, it has way less sodium, which is important so you don't gag on all the salt.

1 12 oz can Reduced Sodium SPAM

1 green bell pepper

1 yellow bell pepper

1 large yellow onion

3 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons prepared dill veggie dip

4 slices white American cheese

3 slices smoked provolone cheese

2 slim French bread loaves

Coarse ground black pepper (to taste)

Cut bell peppers and onions into thin slices. Sauté in large non-stick skillet with 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat until peppers and onions are tender, about 10 minutes.

While peppers and onions cook, remove SPAM from can and shave into very thin, non-uniform slices with sharp knife.

Remove pepper and onion mixture from skillet and set aside, covered.

Return same skillet to medium-high heat and add SPAM slices in an even layer. Add Worcestershire directly on top of the SPAM, covering each piece. Cover generously with black pepper. Let cook 4 minutes, then stir and flip meat and allow to cook for about 5 more minutes, until meat is cooked through and slightly crisp.

Slice bread loaves most of the way through and toast in separate skillet with remaining butter.

While bread is toasting, return pepper and onion mixture to pan with the SPAM. Mix together well, then spread into an even layer. Place cheese slices evenly on top of mixture and reduce to medium heat. Once the cheese is melty, remove pan from heat and stir the entire mixture with a spatula to incorporate the cheese into the entire mixture.

Place toasted bread loaves onto serving dish. Spread a very thin layer of the dill dip onto the top halves. Scoop sandwich filling onto bottom halves of bread. Serve hot. 

• gunnergrandma
    gunnergrandma Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2014
    Options

I HAD A right side mas. on Nov 27 I am kinda flat on top by the scar but lumpy high on my chest I am wondering too if it will be flat in time

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited January 2014
    Options

I have thought about nola, but some part of me has a feeling that's where the body perfectionists go. I will never look good in a bikini, and don't have the type of body that anyone would ever look twice at. I know they do beautiful work there, but the idea of traveling for surgery (I'm famous for complications) and being so far from home is not appealing right now. I have so many scars and lumps and bumps, I can't see anyone being able to put humpty dumpty simply back together again.  At least not without multiple trips there. 

I would never say this on another forum, but unless someone can give me back feeling and sensitivity, my chest area is just not that important to me anymore.  I would not want to go through another flap surgery and have yet another part of my body cut off. I HATE the numb feeling left behind. I'd rather have extra fat in my tummy and still be able to feel my husbands hand gliding over my skin.

But that's just me and it does seem most people are thrilled with nola creating their new bodies. And they do look great.

• grammaB
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thanks Delirium!  Looks yummy! 

• FierceBluebird
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thanks Delerium. I will also try the recipe. Although as a born and bred Philadelphia native I have to tell you that real Philly cheesesteaks don't have peppers! 

They come either "wit" or wi-tout"  (with or without onions said with a Philadelphia accent!) 

But the recipe does sound yummy!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,176
    edited January 2014
    Options

Ok I need to ask this. Bluebird, have you ever heard of a place called Delcos in Phil?  They have opened a small place in my town, claim they import the bread from Philly. Have all kinds of baseball stuff on the walls. 

And do a DYNOMITE cheesesteak

• FierceBluebird
    edited January 2014
    Options

I haven't heard of delcos. I did a quick search(always open to trying cheesesteaks!) HappyAnd it looks like they are in Chadds Ford outside Philly. Next time I'm in the area I'll try to remember to look for them. 

The famous shops are Genos, Pats, (family feuds break out over who's is better), johns, Tony Luke ThumbsDown and my favorite Gooey Looies! 

You can see Philadelphians take their cheesesteaks seriously. Lol 

• DeliriumPie
    edited January 2014
    Options

that's funny bluebird. My mom and I had long debates on what was and wasn't a real cheesesteak while I was testing my recipe. She wanted me to add mushrooms and not use white American. But I was trying to go for mass appeal since replacing the "steak" with spam already three authenticity out the window. Lol

I hear you on the recon. Curious and scared of what it will feel like with mounds Of flesh I can't feel sitting on my chest.   My body is faaaaar from ever being perfect and with it never have been I want to try for the best te first time around. I am like you, always complications. I don't know if I could be atrong enough like you are to retry after a failure. Looking at this as my one shot. The PS I saw, who is the only one in ft worth who does DIEP shocked me by insisting that I should have bariatric surgery before recon. Don't get me wrong, I am overweight, even more so from treatment. But I never thought in a million years that I would be a candidate for that. He makes it sound like a dream: lose 50 lbs in 4 months, have enough tissue for boobs as big as I want and get a free tummy tuck. This sounds tempting after having struggled my whole life with my weight and small chest but I've never been a fan of weight loss surgery and am fearful of the lifestyle changes involved and yet another surgery. And after as hard as he insisted it makes me wonder about him. I think you are a rock star with all you have been through. 

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited January 2014
    Options

Bluebird, I hear you and what you say makes sense. Only one small quibble, I was just looking at the NOLA pics yesterday, and saw virtually none that I would want on my own chest. Personally, I would be all kinds of mad if I traveled and endured massive surgery to end up looking like most of those photos. The only ones that look halfway acceptable to me are the ones done in conx with skin- and nipple-sparing MX. But I am a bit weird, and I definitely have perfectionist tendencies.

• FierceBluebird
    edited January 2014
    Options

Momine, it seems to me that some women have very good cosmesis and others, not to much. I agree, it would be very disappointing to travel there and not be happy with the outcome. My main reason for trying the flap route was that I didn't want implants, I didn't want to use prosthesis (I am on the heavy side and come from big boned German stock!) which has its own set of problems staying flat. I think most women look great flat, (very svelte) but I would have a hard time rocking the look.

I have noticed on the photo forum that the women who get the best results are the ones who go back over and over for nips and tucks and scar revisions. Not interested!  Some women seem to enjoy having surgery after surgery and it becomes a hobby for them.

Deliriumpie, there's something off about the suggestion for bariatric surgery. One, the flaps created are from fat. If you lose weight, they shrink.if you lose weight first from b.surgery, you'll have plenty of loose skin, but less fat to create mounds.  My suggestion is to try to listen to your body and your heart to see what feels right to you.

I made the best decision for me at the time, it just didn't work out the way I'd hoped. I lost one flap and the other is horribly burnt from surgery cauterization and radiation so I'm more Frankenstein than me anymore. But keeping hope that one day they can make me look more humanlike and I will learn to love the new me regardless.

And I think your spam recipe is awesome without even trying it yet! Before I saw your recipe hubs and I were talking about it and joking that it was probably sliced spam with onions and cheese whiz. But you put some real thought into it and I can't wait to try it! 

• DeliriumPie
    edited January 2014
    Options

that's exactly what I was thinking bluebird about the fat loss. He talked up how the excess skin would be such a good thing for size options. I didn't get to ask him about yet because I can't schedule another appt with him until I've been through the gastric sleeve seminar (another hmmm). My thought is that with as unpredictable as the weight loss can be after surgery, that the timing would have to be spot on to make sure I have enough fat left. And what if there isn't enough? What then?  I think I really want to give it a go at losing it myself. I will have 6-8 months to do it. I've been too afraid to start anything because I have not made a firm decision yet and if I lose even 5 lbs, I would definitely not qualify for the surgery. I'm a yoyo dieter. I have lost and gained 50+ lbs several time over the years. My problem is I always hit a plateau, can't lose the last 10 or 15 I need to, then slowly gain it all back. My fear is, after chemo and chemopause that I will not be able to lose as much I need to and be stuck in some middle place where I can't lose more and am not a candidate for the surgery. It's so much to think about. 

Lol on the cheez wiz!  I told my mom during those debates that one article I read said that is what made it authentic. 

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited January 2014
    Options

Bluebird, yes, agreed. I figured out pretty quickly that I would be uncomfortable with implants, so if I ever did recon, it would have to some sort of flap. Although I am thinking they might be able to do something with 3D printing before too long.

I am really sorry you had that outcome.

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited January 2014
    Options

I love Philly cheesesteaks. My BIL lived in Philly for awhile. Actually my Walmart sells a Philly cheesesteak kit in the frozen food section that's not bad. My DH can even make them! 

I agree with bluebird. No sensation, no surgery. I know everyone is different. 

My prophylactic side is pretty smooth. The other has a concave dimple where the tumor was next to the chest wall. Otherwise it's smooth. I'm 8 months out from surgery with chemo and rads during that time. 

DP that does sound a little fishy. Can you ask him for some stats about success rate? Will your ins work at NOLA? It would be great to find a buddy. Good luck! 

• Zillsnot4me
    edited January 2014
    Options

So DP you've been off for a well deserved break. Make any decisions? 

• DeliriumPie
    edited January 2014
    Options

hi Zils. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to myself. Have not given it a lot of focused thinking. I finally saw my MO for the first time in months last week and she ordered a lot of tests for me to try to get to the bottom of my back and hip pain and some possible neurological issues. Ultrasound was clear. MRIs and CTs are not until February. Last chemo is this Wednesday. Not feeling good at all this week. Didn't stop me from painting my office and moving furniture on Saturday (didn't help, so sore) and jumping through hoops on Sunday because kohls decided to call. So now they are back on indefinitely. Ugh. 

How are you doing?  Getting any rest?

• Zillsnot4me
    edited January 2014
    Options

Kinda in a catch 22. Not always able to nap but then crash early. It's like a late nap then I'm up in the middle of the night like tonight. 

I've been walking. Start strength training next week. Hope that helps with mood and sleep. 

Right now can't decide if I have a UTI or yeast or irritated skin from hormone. Went to dr but he said I was clear, think it's the hormone. Don't see onc until end of month to ask him what to do. Won't that be a fun question to ask a 70 year old man. 

Sorry you're still in pain and can't get tested until Feb. That seems like a long way away. I remember getting tests ASAP when first diagnosed but now have to wait two weeks + for an appt. 

I wish I had some of your oomph. Painting! I'm impressed. I bet you are sore. How's the dogs? 

Bluebird. Did you order the baby cream from bass farms or just the lotion? My skin stays dry. I want something creamy and heavy duty like the silva dyne not like desitin. 

• DeliriumPie
    edited January 2014
    Options

glad your getting at least some rest zills. I bet the strength training will help. I keep wanting to get started on something but am always so darn beat. I guess that's a catch 22 too. Had my last (hopefully) chemo yesterday. Now just waiting for all these tests to hopefully put my mind at ease. 

• grammaB
    edited January 2014
    Options

Yay!! Sheila!! Crossing everything I can cross that you get good results!!  I just noticed you had your sx the day before I did.  Practically surgery sisters! :)

• FierceBluebird
    edited January 2014
    Options

Zills, I use the triple B cream. It gets sucked in and moisturizes the skin and disappears quickly. I also use their oatmeal sugar scrub on my radiated breast and it is helping to remove the dark skin. Love Bass farms!

• donaldtrump369
    donaldtrump369 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    Options

I am sure DeliriumPie, all the tests should be in the favour of  you. Hope for the best.

• Zillsnot4me
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hey DP. It's Feb. When are your tests?

• DeliriumPie
    edited February 2014
    Options

I had the MRIs on Tuesday and the ct today. I know the results of the MRI are in already and am struggling with whether or not to wait until my appt on the 13th or to call and get them myself. Kind of leaning towards waiting. I'm afraid of the results. I broke out in hives today from the IV contrast. First time ever. It was weird and freaked out the newbie tech. I took benedryl and seem to be fine though. 

What's going on in your world?

• grammaB
    edited February 2014
    Options

DP do what makes you feel the less stressed.  If waiting is less stressful than wait, but if you are going to stress every day up to the appointment, call and get some answers now.

Besides having frozen pipes since the wee hours of Thursday morning and waking that day to a broken furnace with temps around -20°F, it's been pretty quiet here!  Shocked   LOL, at least I got the furnace fixed late Thursday afternoon.  Still no water and since it is Friday and after 5:30PM I doubt I will see any one until Monday!! Scared

Got my exercise today shoveling snow, boy would a shower feel good!!

Hugs!

• kicks
    kicks Member Posts: 319
    edited February 2014
    Options

grammaB - don't you have your pipes wrapped in heat tape?  Supplimental heat in house?

• DeliriumPie
    edited February 2014
    Options

oh no Grammab!  Thank goodness you at least got the furnace back on. It has been in the teens here some this week and we got a little snow. That puts Texans in panic mode and no one knows what to do.   Are you able to get out to the store for water?  

I can't really decide what makes me less stressed. I'm a glass half empty girl and am expecting the worst results, so in a way I am thinking that if I wait, I can have that much more time not "knowing". But in the other hand I am impatient as well. If I get the results now and they are bad, I would still have to wait until the appointment to talk to anyone about them and that would be a worse wait, so I think I will just let it ride for now. That's what I think tonight anyway. In coming really close to a year now. Feb 15th was the at I noticed something was "off" with my breast. It feels kind of spooky now for some reason. 

Stay warm Grammab. Hoping a plumber comes your way soon!

• grammaB
    edited February 2014
    Options

Yep, but it hit -30°F (-34.4°C) in the night and the power went out for a few of hours. It was the perfect storm for disaster, didn't take long to freeze up. I do have a natural gas fireplace in the living room, but it couldn't heat under the house. Thursday daytime temps didn't help anything to thaw.  At least I had a small area that was warm.  I turned on the burners on the kitchen stove (natural gas) to help heat the kitchen a little.  Until the furnace guy arrived, the furnace was blowing out cold air and I couldn't shut it off.  (Some weird fail safe, when the power goes out when it is on, the blower runs continuously whether unit is on or off, apparently to cool the unit down.  All it took was clicking a switch to reset.  Dude could have told me that over the phone...) :((

Still without water, guess I need to find someone else to help me this company has really let me down!

• grammaB
    edited February 2014
    Options

Thanks DP!  Fortunately my neighbor let me come over and fill up my gallon jugs with water.  I was going to go out and buy more but they offered and the price was right!!  LOL!   I hate buying water to use to flush the loo!

I am going to call a friend tomorrow and see if I can go over there and shower.   And call someone else to get things fixed here!!  I'm out in the boonies so there is limited choices of dependable people for repairs.  

Oh, so it is a bit more than just the test results, there is an anniversary lurking in there too adding its own stressors.  I understand your apprehensions either way.  If you got bad news though, you would have some time to research and know more about what is coming.  If good, you can relax. You will make the decision that is right for you, just go with what is most comfortable for you.

Hugs!

• DeliriumPie
    edited February 2014
    Options

got my results today. Spine and brain are clear. Spots on my lung have grown. Have to have a biopsy. 

• FierceBluebird
    edited February 2014
    Options

DP, I'm sorry you need more tests. That totally stinks. Hopefully it's just a precaution. Hugs!