Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Maybe a dumb flat question?

Options

Comments

• DeliriumPie
    DeliriumPie Member Posts: 1,186
    edited December 2013
    Options

yay! Champagne all around!  Glad you feel like celebrating bluebird and glad your done with rads Zills. I got up at 3am today and went to Walmart and kohls (the retail store, not the living hell I'm currently in). I'm all done now except for a couple of gift cards and providing my package from qvc gets here Monday. When I got back, after sparring with client via email for two hours, I decided I had to clean this place up if I am to get any work done. I can't work in these conditions. Lol. So now that that is mostly done I am going to dig in to all this admin payroll stuff that has to be done by tomorrow due to the holiday week. It's raining non stop today which is making me feel productive for some reason. Merry Christmas ladies!

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited December 2013
    Options

Oh the cleaning of the nest!  I have been all aflutter trying to do too much. I finished rads two weeks ago Christmas day, but just started with some more zinger pains and soreness. I know I need to rest but it's hard to sit still with so much to do!

Merry Christmas!

• DeliriumPie
    edited December 2013
    Options

bluebird, I hope you found enough time to get everything done and get some rest. Did everyone have a nice Christmas?

Question for anyone who had their port placed prior to mx: did you port migrate south? Mine was noticeably lower after bmx, but since then, it seems to be lower and lower every week. The nurse at chemo today jokes that it is going to be a belly button by the time I am done. It started out just above my bra line sitting on my boob, after bmx it was just below bra line. Now it is just above where my nipple would be. I have to wear a formed bra for chemo so I can take my foob out. This time around the needle is painful the entire time I am accessed and anything touching it makes it worse. A few treatments ago, while the nurse was digging in my bra to access me, another patients husband asked, why did y'all put my wife's port so high?  After she corrected him that "they" did not place the port, I told him that mine didn't start out that low and that it really wasn't a good thing anyway. Anyhow. Just curious if this is fairly normal or just another saga in my port drama. Insomnia in effect tonight. 

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited December 2013
    Options

My port is in my shoulder and the swelling has finally gone away. No migration for me. Sometimes I wish it was lower because it sits right where a bra strap goes. I'm assuming I'll keep it for at least a year. 

Energy coming back. Still tired in afternoons but not able to nap with kids home but I still lay down. Zombie flesh peeling under arm but trying to resist helping it along. 

• FierceBluebird
    edited December 2013
    Options

I cannot wait to have my port out! Mine hasn't moved (that is a bit odd) but it can be annoying while trying to sleep or move my arm and the area can get tender and swollen.

Twice I've had surgery and it was scheduled to come out and both times they forgot!

I recently heard they put them on your arm now.

• DeliriumPie
    edited December 2013
    Options

they forgot?!  What!

• FierceBluebird
    edited December 2013
    Options

Yep, both times the surgeons were extremely embarrassed and almost didn't believe me when I reached up, felt it and told them they forgot. The second time it happened the surgeon got a funny look and then said he decided not to take it out because he didn't want the area to get infected. ???????   WTH?

• DeliriumPie
    edited December 2013
    Options

wow bluebird. That is scary carelessness. I just got an idea though. It could be a new accessory. We can make different little dangly jewelry pieces with a long pin in the back to insert in the port. You can change them out with your outfits each day. Ha!  So will you have a separate procedure just to get the port removed? Hopefully they won't forget if that's the ONLY thing they are doing. 

• FierceBluebird
    edited December 2013
    Options

Love it! Port accessories for the girl who has everything! 

I will be sure to magic marker large arrows pointing to the port next time! Winking

• Zillsnot4me
    edited January 2014
    Options

I would sharpie it too. I asked the nurse and she said yes they do migrate. So no worries. 

What kind if cream did you all use after your skin peeled? I don't think I need the silva dyne anymore but I haven't found anything that feels as good or moisturizes well. 

I've been released. Don't report back until end of April. Happy 2014! 

• FierceBluebird
    edited January 2014
    Options

I use a goat's milk cream from bassfarm.com called Triple B.  I love it! I just started using their oatmeal sugar scrub also and I think it is helping to lighten my skin. My skin is silky smooth and soft now.

If anyone wants more info let me know. They also have discount codes.

Happy healthy New year to all!

• DeliriumPie
    edited January 2014
    Options

yay zills!  Do you have any further treatment planned then?  I went back to using the Remedy cream. It is very moisturizing. Also using Josie Maran argon oil. I use it on my face now too instead of my regular moisturizer and really like it. You can also put it in your hair. It is expensive but I bought the supersize bottle from qvc, so I don't feel so guilty using so much. My rad field, like bluebird, is silky smooth now, and being nice and tan, it looks the best it ever has. Lol. The only tan I've ever been able to manage was out of a bottle. 

I think I must be experiencing cumulative effects of the Halaven. Neuropathy is creeping up and I'm losing my brows and lashes. I'm also having terrible hip and lower back pain, but I don't think that is from chemo. It's so bad that I'm resorting to pain pills and that scares me. It used to go away after I got up and around in the morning but now it's lasting all day. I have treatment tomorrow but won't see the dr for two weeks and I feel funny about calling. 

I hope you girls have a nice New Year's Day today. Be sure to eat your cabbage and black eyed peas!  

• Zillsnot4me
    edited January 2014
    Options

Just the lovely pill tamoxifen. 

Yes having black eyed peas. What's cabbage for? 

Sorry you have SEs. I wouldn't be afraid to call. You have to be able to get out of bed in the morning. Does stretching help? 

• DeliriumPie
    edited January 2014
    Options

I think the cabbage is for money. Grandma always insists. About to head over for pork chops,mashed potatoes, cabbage and black eyed peas. I try to slip my pork chop to the dog though. 

Stretching doesn't help. I can only move so far without getting "stuck". Like I can't bend over at my waist, I have to kneel. And sitting down is difficult. Before I could take Tylenol in the morning and it would go away for the day. This morning I took a leftover codeine and it is back already. I feel like I'm 90 years old. 

• grammaB
    grammaB Member Posts: 1,118
    edited January 2014
    Options

Yay Zills, I think I already gave you congrats on another thread, but what the heck!!

I am a diabetic besides having bc, so I have a real issue with dry skin. Delirium, I'll have to go to the QVC website and look up that Argon cream.  Something that can be used on your body, face and hair sounds like a winner to me!  Bluebird, I'm going to check our your Triple B too.

Delirium, so sorry about your se!!  Hope you can find some relief some how.

• FierceBluebird
    edited January 2014
    Options

Bassfarms will give a 30% off with the code   newyear2014  and 50% off to those undergoing treatment. Use code BEATCANCER 

I am like a 90 year old as well. I'm still sleeping a lot and achey.

• DeliriumPie
    edited January 2014
    Options

NP said back pain can be a side effect of chemo. Ha. I knew that's what should would say. But seriously, like I don't know the difference by now?

• DeliriumPie
    edited January 2014
    Options

where's that champagne?!  Kohls staffing season is over!!!!!! I have never been so relieved to lose $300k a week in revenue. It's always a sad time but I am dumping this elephant off my back with a cheer. I am so relieved. I just have to finish the final payroll which I will do today then I am taking off until Saturday. I have two more treatments left of chemo. Then it's time for big decisions, but this week I am taking a break!  Happy Sunday ladies!

• Zillsnot4me
    edited January 2014
    Options

Wahoo! Congrats! You deserve a break. I think all of us will be making big decisions this year. BC changes your perspective. Have fun. Do more than just clean house. Treat yourself. 

• Kristan
    Kristan Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi there Delerium Pie. 

My bilateral mastectomy was August 5, 2013 so just about the same time as yours!  I am choosing not to have reconstructive surgery.  It is a bit of an adjustment and I am concave & lumpy!   I did get the prothesis, but in all honestly I am just more comfortable without them.  I did do a very thorough wardrobe cleaning.  Seems like cowl neck tops (with camisole underneath) and things with distracting prints or ruffles look better than tight flat tops.  The people who know me well have all gotten used to how I look and I just don't care much how strangers see me.  It has been hard though and I have to remind myself sometimes that I am more than how I look and that beauty comes in all shapes & sizes.  I hope you are recovering well and wish you the very best of luck. 

• DeliriumPie
    edited January 2014
    Options

hi Kristan. Thanks for the outfit ideas. I've been learning to adjust and went through a period during rads when I couldn't wear foobs. Time is coming to decide on recon. I really never considered not doing it but now with treatment drawing to a close, I wonder if I really want to go through another year of pain. I think I would probably be ok staying flat if I could lose quite a bit of weight. We will see. 

• grammaB
    edited January 2014
    Options

Kristan and Delirium, my BMX is right around the same time as yours.  Kristan, I totally agree with everything you said.  I was fortunate not to need any other treatment beyond the BMX and that was just fine with me.  I have been totally comfortable going out flat, scarves and vest in the Fall were good covers, here in MT in Winter everyone has on so many layers and scarves that who knows who has boobs and who doesn't???  One thing I have learned is that most people don't even notice the flatness, I have friends that are almost as flat as I am now naturally.  My very last worry is someone questioning/wondering about my flatness!

• DeliriumPie
    edited January 2014
    Options

guess what zills!?  I'm not supposed to say anything until the official press release, but I'm so excited.... It's not like we are big press here, right?  Remember the thing I won back in October? They called today to tell me I won the national contest. I'm going to Hawaii!!  How crazy is that??  I really really don't know how to cook, I swear. Yippee!

• Zillsnot4me
    edited January 2014
    Options

That's awesome! You so deserve a nice trip. Not sure how relaxing it will be. Maybe you can tack on a few days at the end. I bet your family is so proud and excited. Congratulations! 

• FierceBluebird
    edited January 2014
    Options

Wow! Fill us in!

• grammaB
    edited January 2014
    Options

I remember, spam wasn't it?  How cool is that!?!  You'll have bragging rights forever!

• FierceBluebird
    edited January 2014
    Options

That is some Spam!  I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I actually like Spam. Can't wait to see the recipe. 

Well, I've decided to go ahead and let my PS take a try at fixing my failed flap mess. If I had a nice smooth mastectomy I would probably stay flat. But when I lost my flap, they removed it and whatever they did left a lumpy bumpy scarred mess. I need to have my port out anyway, so giving it one more shot.

• Zillsnot4me
    edited January 2014
    Options

Good luck bluebird. Be sure and draw a smiley face or arrow around your port! 

• FierceBluebird
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thanks! I'll be sure to put my stamp on it.Loopy

• DeliriumPie
    edited January 2014
    Options

yes, apparently I am the greatest spam cook in all the land, lol. They are going to send people to interview me but try have to prep me first. I guess it is fairly common for people to make negative comments about the way spam tastes during interviews. I have thus far graciously withheld that I knew the recipe was right the this time, when I tasted it and didn't want to throw up. Have not decided if I want to share that I have been in treatment during all this. I have not told anyone, not sure if I want "those" looks. 

Good luck bluebird. Is sx scheduled yet? Have you thought about nola?  I initially dismissed the thought, but the more I read about failures, I am really considering making the trip. You need to send us a pic of your sharpie work, maybe a light up neon sign would do. Or a sticky note on your forehead. 

Goodnight ladies!