Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Maybe a dumb flat question?

Comments

• AndreaJ50
    AndreaJ50 Member Posts: 704
    edited October 2014

Ooooh I would love to see pics of everyone's handiwork!!! I am currently painting canvas shoes for my DD in Canada to sell . I am supposed to get a lot done this month to ship to her for a table she is having in a sale in November. But then she keeps getting me special orders , so that is slowing me down. 

This all started because I was looking for a cheap gift for all mine of my grandchildren last Xmas.

Painting really helped me relax and focus on something else between my DX and first surgery.

I paint characters in them. 

What craft do any of you do? Anyone up for a show and tell?

• AndreaJ50
    edited October 2014

I have had a couple of night sweats since I started taking Tamixifan last May. I heard they can get worse after the first six months.

No advice; just sympathy.

Oh, I should mention we are celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving today, even tho we live in USA now. (Actually it's tomorrow but we don't get the day off here). Hubby likes to do the whole thing himself...and I get stuck with the huge clean up at the end. Lol.

So Happy Canadian Thanksgiving !

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited October 2014

Happy Thanksgiving, Andrea!!  What is hubby cooking?

I'd love to see pics of your shoes.  I'm not very crafty. I used to really enjoy it, but I have too much nerve damage in my right hand and lots of things set off the pain.  I used to quilt and do other needlework, but can't hold a needle anymore. The nerve damage is from herniated discs in neck from car accidents. **I'm a mess**

• AndreaJ50
    edited November 2014

Well, since you asked, lol. Here are a few of my favorites.

• SC60
    SC60 Member Posts: 403
    edited October 2014

Wow!  Andrea you are so talented!  I am awe struck!  

Hey DP!  Thinking about you!  Sorry you are having those shitty SE's.

Glad you had some uninterrupted sleep last night Glennie.

Love to all! S

• glennie19
    edited October 2014

So cute, Andrea!!!  I love them!!   

Hi S!!   **waving my Betty arms**

• DeliriumPie
    DeliriumPie Member Posts: 1,186
    edited October 2014

wow Andrea. Those are great! You are very talented. Before work consumed my life, I used to do beading and jewelry making and scrapbooking.  During my first chemo rounds I got the notion to start an etsy store with these jewelry holder thingies i made.   Still hasn't happened. I got a web domain and everything. I was wanting to start with the jewelry again but the neuropathy in my fingers is no bueno. I was trying to repair something for bond the other night and it was a real struggle just to close a jump ring. 

Bond seems a bit better. He went to a meeting today. We are going to look at houses with grandparents this afternoon. 

• AndreaJ50
    edited October 2014

Thank you. they are fun to do.

I tried my hand at both quilting and beading and sucked big time!!!!  So impressed by those who can do that.

Not to mention anyone who can sing...or dance. Totally devoid of both those skills.

Anyway, if anyone needs some cheering up today this should do the trick. I couldn't stop laughing!!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/24-people-who-shouldnt-be-allowed-to-decorate-cakes?utm_term=3emvmpv#311qstd

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited October 2014

OMG Andrea, that was just so funny! I can't believe those cake decorators actually did that!

You are so talented, those shoes are just fantastic! I love them!

I will take some pics of my Suncatchers, before I take them to the shop today. I'd be interested to see what everyone does. 

I understand about the hands DP, I used to knock over a fairly detailed Suncatcher every 15 minutes, but since I had the surgery to my right hand, it takes much longer, same with the dexterity to do makeups. It feels like my hand has a life of its own! lol

Waving to everyone, this chilly wet morning. I might just make more Suncatchers today, since it is so miserable outside and I have the bug to do them again.

Happy house hunting DP.  M x

• Ariom
    edited October 2014

Hi girls, just put this on the other thread. These are the ones I made yesterday. I display on a rusty old rake and they are packaged in small noodle boxes, with tissue paper and a handwritten card, on handmade paper. The small ones are mainly for kids rooms and the large ones, which are 40mm lead crystal have some antique glass beads in most of them.

• glennie19
    edited October 2014

They are lovely!  We have such talented people here!

• DeliriumPie
    edited October 2014

beautiful m. What other talents have we out there?

• AndreaJ50
    edited October 2014

M, they are beautiful!!! What a lovely job you do!!  So creative, even in your presentation.

Pray tell what other talents do you all have? And it doesn't have to be limited to crafts.

• glennie19
    edited October 2014

I read.  A lot.     Is that a talent?  

• AndreaJ50
    edited October 2014

seriously Glennie, I think now a days it is!! Lol. Since I got an iPad I spend all my free time on it, instead of reading. I actually miss holding a real book.

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited October 2014

checking in to see how DP  is doing.. HI!! and wow such talents going on here. Glennie.. sure hope reading alot is a talent cause I do that!! I do play piano and love it and love to garden and grow pretty flowers that is it for me. I have never enjoyed doing arts and crafts but envy the people that do them well. Always wished I could draw/paint, Wren is our resident artist here.

Ariom, how cute to use an old rake to display them... now that is creative!

Hello to everyone.

• glennie19
    edited October 2014

I love real paper books.  I get teased constantly by certain "friends" cuz I do not have a KIndle. But my job requires me to be on the computer for 8 solid hours every day, 40 hours a week. I get tired of looking at a screen. I know all the arguments about why a Kindle is so great, and you can get ebooks instantly instead of being on queue at the library. I don't care.  There is too much instant gratification in this world today and waiting for something is not a bad thing.

The Friends of the Library book sale is Oct 25 - 29. I can't wait. Even though I don't NEED any books,, I have to go anyway, cuz you never know what COOL book you might find there. And all the $$ goes to my local library. So it's a win-win.

I like arts and crafts, but I'm not really good at them!  When I was a kid, I used to cut pictures out of magazine and paste them onto bottles or coffee cans and then shellac them.  Decoupage??  Something like that.  I do love gardening, but it's getting more and more physically difficult to handle the outside part. I have lot of plants living in pots on the porch, and at the kitchen window. And I like to take photographs, especially of nature scenes. And the dog.  LOL!  I would like to be able to draw or paint too.  When I retire, I want to take classes, no matter how crappy I am at it.  And I collect penguin things.  Trying to cut back on that,,,, but sometimes I can't resist a really cute one.  Since I can't tattoo over my scar, due to the LE,,, I am thinking about a penguin tattoo,, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough. I'd put it on my right hip,, far from the LE area.

So today is 2 weeks post-op!  I go back to work on Friday and I don't really want to!  I'd love to be retired, but I'd miss the paycheck! And the health insurance!!   **one day**

I must be feeling OK,, I just typed a novel!!

• glennie19
    edited October 2014

part of the penguin collection 

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited October 2014

awesome Andrea! I used to read. Not much since chemo. My talent is clutter and dirt:)

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,921
    edited October 2014

Zills, Spoken like a Mom with little kids. DD said her image of that time was of her vacuuming while her oldest followed her eating crackers, destroying her work. I used to blame the kids for the mess. They went away to college and the mess didn't change. Both kids got formal apologies for my blaming them instead of DH. High schools here require community service to graduate. Perhaps there's a student who would help with cleaning?

• DeliriumPie
    edited October 2014

my stepdad collects penguins. Go for the tattoo. It's not that bad. Way easier than all the shit we've gone through. I love decoupage. It's one of the oldest crafts. 

Have to go in to the dr today. Been running fever for two days. Something is wrong with my ear. Maybe it's an infection. Been telling then for weeks about all this congestion. Appetite is the worst today. Having a hard time even forcing myself to eat anything. Animal crackers have proven most palatable. This particular brand had made the hippo twice as thick as all the ither animals. Stereotype?  It has a barn and the hippo is also bigger than the barn. Can we consider the hippos feelings here?  My stomach is growling. Ugh.  

I can be a colossal smart ass. Is that a talent?

• prb1956
    prb1956 Member Posts: 401
    edited October 2014

OK.. time for my lecture on drawing!   All of you who want to draw, but don't think you can... think again.   I am a firm believer that everyone can draw.   Sure, some people have a natural ability and are wizards at painting/drawing, but it's like everything else... all it takes is practice.  People think they should be able to sit down and draw that beautiful flower...but in reality, most artists didn't just sit down and draw it... they loved drawing and they tried, and tried again.   Kind of like athletes.  No one comes into the world dribbling a basketball.

My case in point is my DD.  I adopted her when she was 2 1/2 years old.  I started on her early.  I would draw things that she loved -  Lion King creatures come to mind -  and then I would encourage her to try.  We would sit around the house and play 'games'... drawing objects in the house to see if the other person could identify the picture.   I once drew every Disney character I could think of on the white paper that's on the examination table in the doctor's office.  It was a long wait, and I often wonder what the person who cleaned up the room thought when they saw all that.

My sister has always been one of those people who says "I wish I could draw".   One day she said to my daughter "You are such a good artist...all I can draw is stick figures!".  My daughter pointed to the drawings on our refrigerator and said.. "See Aunt Sandra?  I used to draw stick figures too ... you just need to practice!". 

So with that.. I will post her stick figure pictures we have on the refrigerator.... the last one she drew when she was 10 years old (her own design).  See?  You just have to practice!

• prb1956
    prb1956 Member Posts: 401
    edited October 2014

Oh DP.. I think your smart ass comments are a true talent.   It's what we all love about you!!   Funny thing is.. I think most of us on this thread and flat sisters are smart asses.  Maybe that's why we connect so well.

Hope they give you something for the fever.. geez you deserve a break for sure.   I love animal crackers.. unfortunately, I cannot eat just a few... I end up eating half the bag and feeling somewhat sick.  Not sure if it's from the animal crackers or the water or pop you have to consume because they are so dry.   Same goes for licorice.. red twizzlers to be exact.  I cannot buy them or I will end up with a lead weight in my tummy that is NOT comfortable. 

• glennie19
    edited October 2014

DP:  hope you feel better. Ear infections suck.  And being a smart ass is a definite talent! Many try, but only a few are successful.  And you are an amazing cook.  There is another talent!

PRB:  Wow,,, awesome drawing!

Why are the hippos so much bigger??   Are there any penguins?

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited October 2014

Hi DP!  Are you feeling better?  Ear infections are so painful.

OMG, those stick figure pictures are amazing!  PRB, so cute!  And our M is so talented, of course.  And Andrea, those shoes are amazing!  They look professional.

As many of you know, I make Waldorf dollies.  My kids' room is chock full of dollies of all kinds, homemade with natural fabrics, blah blah blah.  Knitted dollies, sewn dollies.  Knitted farm animals.  And last Christmas I made real old fashioned sock monkeys!  They were hilarious!  The baby loves hers -- she laughs out loud when she plays with it.

I have never posted a picture before.  Let's see.

• bobogirl
    edited October 2014

I reply to myself.  Here is our baby.  She is the most beautiful one in the world.

• glennie19
    edited October 2014

BOBO!  You posted pics!!  Baby is adorable!!

and your sock monkeys are awesome.  You are so talented.

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950
    edited October 2014

Bobo, yes she is!! but you and dllp are a very close 2nd well and 3rd, how adorable. And you have a great talent! how cute are those dollies. Sock monkeys are the best.

Prb, wow those pics are amazing! I have heard this many times that anyone can draw.. all four of my grandsons are great artists without any lessons, one even did a pencil drawing of his Mom before she died and he even captured the anguish in her eyes, he did a wonderful job but it is too sad for me but it was still amazing. His dad had it framed. Enough of the sad memories... I need to learn to draw, thanks for the encouragement!

Zills, I have a real talent for messy houses too, hate to dust. I can sure relate to Wren, used to blame it all on kids and gkids, but just us two messy people now... but I am not giving them an apology!!NerdyThey will figure it out.

DP, how are you feeling now? any answers about the ears... ouch, like you need anymore. I love a smart-ass, do pretty well at it myself.. keep it up. It takes a quick mind and wit to be a good smart-ass!! good for you.

• Ariom
    edited October 2014

OOOh how wonderful! Sock monkeys and pictures, smart asses, musicians, readers, artists, and messy Mothers what great company you all are!

Bobo, what a gorgeous pic, she is so cute!

Well, my dining table has turned into a production line! I had my meeting with the ladies at the Craft Shop and they loved my Sun Catchers! They kept the 6 I had made and want more. They were on a stand in front of the window before I even left the meeting! So I have made another 10 and we will see how they go. I have someone to make a base for my rusty rake and do a clear coat of lacquer so no one catches anything from the rust,  I can then supply my own stand.

Freezing cold here today, I think it was 4c, such a difference to Sunday when it was 29c!

I hope you get somewhere with the Dicktor today DP. A sore ear is a bloody awful thing.

Glennie I am with DP, do the Tattoo! Just be mindful of where on the hip you put it. I had my little vine of flowers put on my hip and now 20 years later, it is a tad lower! lol

I hope you've all had a good day...catch you later..M x

• bobogirl
    edited October 2014

Oooh!  Our M is a suncatcher magnate!  

M's grandchildren are Clinton democrats.  Although our princess voted for Obama at the last minute (man crazy).