Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Time for hospice and Im really scared

Comments

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited December 2013

No goats or horses in our house for Christmas, but one very brave cat wanted to get very close to the fire and snuggled into his new cat bed. The other one sat on a large box for hours playing with the ribbon.

So glad to hear that you had a lovely holiday.

*susan*

• justjudie
    justjudie Member Posts: 196
    edited December 2013

Hi Teri,

Glad you had a good time with your little granddaughter for Christmas.  I have trouble typing some days now too.  It is due to neuropathy with me.  I hate that stuff.  Hope you are feeling better, Teri. Try to get as much rest as possible. I am thinking of you, as always.  Take good care. 

• aaoaao
    aaoaao Member Posts: 245
    edited December 2013

Teri, I'm so glad you had a wonderful Christmas.  Small children can be so funny.

I love all the animal pictures everyone posts.

Chanah, how does one go about ordering a goat tree?  I've got several apple trees and a lilac bush, but no one around here actually owns their own goat tree.  I don't know how so many of them got up there without breaking the branches. I swear goats are crazy.

• jocanuck1951
    jocanuck1951 Member Posts: 214
    edited December 2013

SmileI'm soooo happy Teri that you spent the day with your granddaughter!  They're so adorable at 5.

Happy that you had a great Christmas and we can always use new Jammie's!  Xoxox Jo 

• Capriness
    Capriness Member Posts: 111
    edited December 2013

aaoaao, "Goats in Trees" can be googled.  I have several calendars of them.  It is a franchise or whatever you call it.  They are pretty hilarious, aren't they?

Teri

• NickyJ
    NickyJ Member Posts: 372
    edited December 2013

Teri,

So glad you got to spend Christmas with your granddaughter. I agree about the pajamas and slippers. It's like there's a list of suitable gifts!  I had the strangest experience with presents a few months after dx. My dx was during the summer, so a lot of the people i would see regularly were away. My DD's dance teacher had been dx'd with bc 2 years ago, so once the holidays were over she came to see me. She brought me - a purple silk negligé, a pair of fine black stockings, and a box of chocolates! At first I was quite shocked;

I said thank you, but really didn't know what to make of her gift. But after she left I realized. Her gift was for me, not the 'sick person'. I smile every time I wear that negligé. 

Happy Christmas. Xx

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited December 2013

Yes, Capri, goats can be pretty hilarious - but not anywhere near as much as 5-yr-old granddaughters! Two of mine are 5 (cousins, not twins) and it's a joy to watch them.

Nicky, how lovely to have a friend who gives a gift to the "friend" not the "cancer patient".

Leah

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited December 2013

Hi Teri and all!  Phew!  What a busy few days........I both like and loathe Christmas........lol......purely for the fact that it's a lot of work but love having all the kids and grands around.  The majority have just left leaving just the youngest grandson to be delivered home on Monday........he gets to spend a week with us.  He is well passed the five year old stage, (he just turned 15 a week ago) but still enjoys his time wth us so I guess I'm pretty lucky as most 15 year olds want to go off and do their own thing......seems his own thing is chillin with Grandma........lol.

Teri so glad you got to spend good time with your grand daughter and even though five year olds can be obnoxious (just coz they think they are 20) they are still a whole lot of fun.

Well time for me to go chill for awhile.

Love n hugs.    Chrissy

• Hortense
    Hortense Member Posts: 718
    edited December 2013

Naughty kitty!

• chrissyb
    edited December 2013

Hortense your kitty is beautiful!  She just wanted to check out what all the fuss was about........lol.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited December 2013

Teri - so glad that you were able to enjoy time with your granddaughter. Children have a terrific way of helping us to look at the brighter side of life and to forget our worries for a short time. I used to work in childcare - loved my job.

Our Christmas was held yesterday - a lovely day of organized chaos - lol. We have dinner (potluck) at my sisters restaurant (much roomier than anyone's home) and then socialize and hold our newest tradition of "Regiftorama" or "Redneck Reduce Reuse Recycle Gift Exchange" With 28 adults involved it takes a bit of time but is soooooooo much fun. The children certainly add to the enjoyment (and #s) of the day.

Chrissy - how wonderful that your 15 year old GS still likes to spend time with grandma! Times to treasure for sure.

• kjones13
    kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited December 2013

Teri--so glad you had a wonderful Christmas! 5 yr olds can take up a lot of energy, but they are also a nice distraction...and you can give them back to the parents :).  Wanted to share a picture of the puppy my brother got his girlfriend...I was hoping he was going to give her a ring, but the puppy is pretty darn cute! It's a cocker.

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited December 2013

Sorry for the late holiday check-in, but hope you all had a wonderful day.  I had a very busy weekend, sang with our choir in one of the most joyful Christmas cantatas I have ever sung. Then started having belly pain and finally gave up and went to the ER yesterday morning to get rehydrated, labs, scans, saw PCP and MO; found progression so am now off Afinitor & AI, started Xeloda and got good meds for pain & nausea, so am doing better. I do have to report negative goat sightings, but we got to baby-sit an 8-week old kitten for our neighbor until Santa took it to her grandson Christmas Eve - so much fun watching this crazy kitten play chase - and our own cat was not all that impressed with the situation, seemed quite relieved when baby kitty left! And she is another one who likes sitting on the dining room table! OK, a little rambling here - blame the good meds!

Hope you all have a good weekend!

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited December 2013

Oh I love those dog and cat photos! Hortense, I think your gorgeous kitty is saying, "Serve me! Now!"

Your Christmas sounds wonderful, Teri. And new pj's are the best!

xo

Rose.

20130502 Member Posts: 162
    edited December 2013

Kjones13:  what a cute puppy.  I am a sucker for puppies.  We raise them for The Seeing Eye and although it is hard to see them grow up and go - it ensures a constant flow of cuteness.  Puppies are like kids - but they never seem to mature beyond age 2!  We don't celebrate Christmas but we went to the movies.  If you are a Mary Poppins fan or even a Disney fan Saving Mr. Banks is a must see.  It makes you laugh, cry, and reminisce.  I am not sure it is completely factual but a very interesting study of how early experiences shape the way we see the world as adults.  Teri - hoping you have been busy and enjoyed these days after Christmas and the best that 2014 has to offer you.

• Brendatrue
    Brendatrue Member Posts: 487
    edited December 2013

Good morning, Teri,

Glad to hear that you had a lovely Christmas and got to enjoy all the shenanigans of your granddaughter! Yes, it's always nice to laugh, and we don't take laughing for granted, do we? Here's to comfort and more laughter as you ring in the new year.

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited December 2013

Hi Teri.  Glad to hear you had a good Christmas.  I got pj's too!  I also got some art supplies and an easel.  Looking forward to spending some time in very unproductive activities!

• MaraUK
    MaraUK Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2013

Hi Terri 

One of My presents was a handbag (purse) with compartments from  dh it's lovely. It has a space for everything the problem  is I am the sort of person who never s puts things back in the same place. I am use to fishing at the bottom of my bag to find things. I guess my New Years resolution is to use the spaces in the bag .I think he thought it would help wonderful man. I will let you know of my progress.

Goodnight from the UK 

Mara x

• chrissyb
    edited December 2013

Hi Teri!  Well the New Year is almost upon us and I can't believe how quickly 2013 has come and almost gone!  So much has happened to all of us!  Here's hoping that 2014 is a much better year.

I have my GS with me and he was chatting while I'm typing so I told him I was on 'the forum'.......'Oh' he says, 'the breast cancer one?' .......'yes' I answered.........'well, tell the ladies hi from me'  he says.  So, a big 'HI' from my GS........lol......he is a sweetie.

Linda so sorry to hear that you have had progression.......here's hoping the Xeloda does good things for you.

Teri, I hope your new jammies are comfy and you are as pain free as possible.

Love n hugs.   Chrissy

• NickyJ
    NickyJ Member Posts: 372
    edited December 2013

imageHi Teri,

I haven't been here much lately, because I have family visiting for the holidays.  None of them speak French, so we have to stay with them or who knows where they'd end up LOL!

We were in Bordeaux to see the Christmas lights on Friday night and I thought you'd like to see some photos.  plenty to see - but no goats....

Nicky

• shazzakelly
    shazzakelly Member Posts: 620
    edited December 2013

hi Terri, I hope you are able to get some good rest after your exciting Xmas with your Grand daughter. I had a great Christmas but it took several days to recover. Lucky I had a very special friend who loves nothing better than to spend the day snuggled up with me. 

• K-Lo
    K-Lo Member Posts: 826
    edited December 2013

There is NOTHING cuter than a puppy.   I wonder if you won't see more animal care volunteers than anything.

Capri, does hospice scare you as much as "the end"?    Because either way, there is no doggone prediction in my experience.

• Romansma
    edited December 2013

This is Fred taking a post holiday snooze in the recliner.  My 9 yr old got him for Christmas.  My kids keeping asking for puppies.....we already have 4 dogs!  Fred was parent approved, but I need to get him out of my chair so I can snooze!  Hope your morning is going well, Teri!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879
    edited December 2013

Nicky - beautiful lights. I really like the giant ornament that you can walk through (or sit under). I especially enjoy the lights at Christmas.

Romansma - that is one large puppy. Looks very cuddly but he does seem to take up a lot of room.

Chrissy - "Hi" back to your very thoughtful GS.

Teri - Hope you are enjoying some down time in those new pj's after the holidays and resting up for any New Years revellers that may stop in. I have spent the last couple of days in my "pj like" pants doing as little as possible. Feeling very lazy.

• Hortense
    Hortense Member Posts: 718
    edited December 2013

kjones13 - That has got to be the cutest puppy ever!

Shazza - Your cat is adorable lying in your arms so comfortably.

Nicky J -  The christmas pictures of Bordeaux are beautiful. What a lovely place.

Teri - I hope you have been enjoying your new PJs and have been comfortable. I've been thinking about your comment about gifts given to sick people, and think perhaps we could come up with some ideas. Special skin lotions come to mind - I found an extraordinary one made with bee pollen and gave it as gifts this year. Good teas perhaps? Fine soaps with lovely scents? An extravagantly luxurious throw to cuddle up in ? A very good pillow? 

For years I have brought brand new down pillows with several fancy pillow cases to people in hospitals as hospital pillows tend to be vinyl covered and far from comfortable. I have also brought colorful blankets to people in hospitals as hospital blankets tend to be polar white - Apricot, soft yellow, light blue. So far no hospital has told me I couldn't and it has made people so happy to have them. Even nurses and doctors like them. A few pillow cases disappeared into the laundry system, so I no longer give fancy white ones. I just give colors as they are easy to keep separate. 

I have also given a pair of travel sized pillows with washable cases to use as props under arms for people spending time in hospitals. They have ben very useful.

• dmacw
    dmacw Member Posts: 64
    edited December 2013

Just checking in to see how our Teri is doing.  Hope your feeling good.

Donna

• stagefree
    stagefree Member Posts: 360
    edited December 2013

happy new year Terri.. :) 

love & hugs

Ebru

• Romansma
    edited December 2013

Happy New Year Teri!

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited January 2014

Happy New Year! Stay warm and comfy. Hugs!

• justjudie
    justjudie Member Posts: 196
    edited January 2014

Happy New Year Terri!