Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Time for hospice and Im really scared

Comments

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited February 2014

I just figured out how to make an avatar and to pull in a photo! It's the little things in life..

• kjones13
    kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited February 2014

well shit! I agree with what Brenda said above. There is a liver mets thread on here. I have 3 liver mets and 1 spinal met. I have not been at this game as long as you have...my first line of treatment was 18 weeks of taxol. Kicked those suckers down to mm's. I have also wondered which mets are the "worst" to have...it all sucks is my only answer. I think of you often and will continue to pray for peace and comfort as you weigh your options. Sending love.

• sarahsmom
    sarahsmom Member Posts: 276
    edited February 2014

Hi Teri, just checking in from over yonder. I hope you're doing ok, I know it will be a long weekend until you see the docs on Monday. Sending you a hug and strength!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited February 2014

Hi Teri!  Just popping in to check and see how you are doing.........the weekend will go quickly and Monday will be here before you know it.

Just settling in to watch the replay of the Opening Ceremony for the Winter Olympics and just watched the snowboard slope style and the Young American lad win the gold.......he had me holding my breath he was so good!

Take care, rest and be as pain free as possible.

Love n hugs.    Chrissy

• phoebe007
    phoebe007 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2014

My words of wisdom...You Don't Have to Accept this...Keep Fighting! All of us are here to support each other..through treatment breakthroughs and especially through emotional support. 

• phoebe007
    phoebe007 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2014

I would like to add-think outside the box! We believe what our Dr tells us because we are scared and want our lives back to normal. I have bone mets in spine, neck, both hips and shoulders. I looked "outside" and found the Dr to help with the mets was an interventional radiologist. They can kill bone & liver mets with injections of chemo directly to the sight instead of destroying your whole body. The destroyed mets is then replaced with a cement for strength. It's also an outpatient procedure covered by most insurances. I start my treatment next week. Will keep posting!

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited February 2014

Hi Teri,

I'm catching up with your latest news... very sorry to hear about the added liver action. Ugh. I don't know about liver tumors moving any faster than other mets. I think it just depends on the pathology. My liver met was very large, but it responded to Xeloda. There are so many variables involved... all of us respond differently! I only hope that your follow-up on Monday gives you some hope, peace, or at least clarity! God, I hate this cancer business. I hope you're snuggled up in Oregon, watching the Olympics or whatever makes you happy this weekend.

Sending love!

Rose.

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited February 2014

Sending hugs, hope and love today Teri.

Amy

• sarahsmom
    edited February 2014

Hi Teri, I'm up and at this morning, it's cool raining in the Arabian peninsula, a strange sight! Very dark and dreary this morning, but I kind of like the change! My daughter wore her ugg-like boots with jeans and a sweater to school. This might be the only day of winter, who knows?! :-) the only bad thing is they already drive like fools over here and no one slows down because of the rain, so driving won't be fun. Anyhow, hope you're feeling ok and resting easy.

• Loveforlife
    Loveforlife Member Posts: 67
    edited February 2014

Hi Teri,

Just thinking of you and hoping you get some answers tomorrow! Sending you (((hugs)))) and healing thoughts. I will keep you in my lovingkindness meditation today!

Laura

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254
    edited February 2014

Teri,

Just popping in to say hi! I know the progression news stinks but we all understand his we need time to digest it and then move on to the plan.

Caryn

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited February 2014

Hi Teri.  Sorry to hear about your progression.  Hopefully, your appt tomorrow will shed some light on a path forward.

I was thinking about Deuce and thought I'd share a little story about my chocolate lab, Hazel Nut (so aptly named, not only for her brown coat, but for her crazy behavior sometimes).  Anyway, she's an escape artist and likes to roam the neighborhood and nearby orchards to bring back avocados.  My husband and a neighbor have been working on a fence the last couple of weekends to keep her in.  They finished up around noon yesterday and decided to give it a test run by letting our 3 labs and senior Jack Russell out in the yard.  It took Brown Dog all of 30 seconds to find the weak spot and gallop off.  So, after we finished laughing and bringing her back, they fixed that spot.  So, we tried again.  This time she surveyed the whole length and decided there was another spot worth trying.  This time Hazel and Micki Bird (our 5 year old yellow lab named by our then 4 yr old son) both made a run for it.  We got a little mad this time.  Long story short, 2 more hours of redesigns and we seem to have them contained......for now.  This is my lazy Hazey dreaming up more escape plans.

• goldengirl12
    goldengirl12 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2014

My beautiful sister lived 9 weeks after it hit her liver. She did not have lesions, her liver was 60% covered. She was also in the middle of brain met reoccurrence. So the doctors warned her it could be a matter of weeks/months. She was 34 and never entered hospice, rather she did chemo and fought until the end. 

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited February 2014

I hope you get encouraging news tomorrow. (((HUGS))))

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited February 2014

Good Evening Teri

Hoping you get some help tomorrow and that it provides the comfort and answers you are looking for. I'll say my prayers for you tonight.

Amy

• chrissyb
    edited February 2014

Hi Teri!!   Keeping my fingers crossed that you get good news from your onc tomorrow!  Hanging in there with you.

Love n hugs.   Chrissy

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited February 2014

Teri, just stopped in to wish you the best.

Leah

• NickyJ
    NickyJ Member Posts: 372
    edited February 2014

Teri, just popped by to wish you luck for your appointment today. I'll be thinking of you. 

Nicky 

• sarahsmom
    edited February 2014

Hi Teri, sending you lots of strength and energy for today, hope it goes well with the docs and you can get a plan in action this week. :-)

Hope, love Hazelnut (what a beauty) and your great story! I have a Fox Red lab and we've nicknamed him Houdini on occasion, not sure how he gets himself into some of his messes...I'll post a picture of him another day. :-)

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited February 2014

Good morning, Teri. I add my wishes for a beneficial appointment - will be thinking of you today and sending hugs.

• teacher911
    teacher911 Member Posts: 152
    edited February 2014

Good Morning, Teri.  Thinking of you and hoping your appointment brings you some guidance and comfort.

• Brendatrue
    Brendatrue Member Posts: 487
    edited February 2014

Hi, Teri,

Obviously you have a lot of women, including me, thinking about you today while hoping your appointment will be helpful to you in whatever ways you need.  Take good and gentle care....

• Capriness
    Capriness Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2014

I don't think I can make it to my appointment because of the ice storms we had the last few nights. Well, snow storms that melted into ice and one ice rain storm.  As soon as they open the office I'm going to call and see if we can do a telephone "office visit" instead.  I hope so.  I, too, am anxious to hear what her ideas are.

I spent the night and this morning writing down questions and I need to rest now but I know I've forgotten things.  So my last question is, "What have I forgotten?" Then I've covered my arse, right?

I'll let you guys know as soon as I do what the plan is.  Just hearing from you all that you're waiting is filling my heart with love.  I love you guys more than you can imagine.  I truley hope you're having side effect free and low or no pain days lately.

Teri  Winking

• chrissyb
    edited February 2014

Teri, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can do the telephone consultation with the onc at least then you will know.  

Of course we are hanging with you and waiting!   We do it because we care.

Love n hugs and good thoughts.    Chrissy

• Brendatrue
    Brendatrue Member Posts: 487
    edited February 2014

Teri, BOO! HISS! regarding the weather and not being able to get out. KUDOS with regard to your plan for a telephone visit--great idea! I hope your doctor cooperates, answers all your questions to your satisfaction, and gives you what you need so you can start making some choices that feel right for you. And, yes, I love the "What have I forgotten?" question. I have my variation on that question, too, and it certainly helps when I get tired of trying to dream up all the questions I know I should ask and fret over forgetting something important. After all, the responsibility is great, but it sure helps when we have shoulders for sharing the responsibility. And hearts and minds for sharing support and caring!

• sarahsmom
    edited February 2014

{{{Teri}} So sorry about the weather getting in the way of the appointment, and hope the phone call worked out! I loved your last question, what have I forgotten = perfect!! Just wanted to check on you before I go to sleep, it's almost 2 AM over here. I'm a nightowl, so was up late working. Catch up with you tomorrow!

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited February 2014

teri,

Thinking of you.  Bah humbug on the snow and ice.  Hope today went well

Nel

• Capriness
    Capriness Member Posts: 111
    edited February 2014

Back from my appointment.  I'm going back into hospice but not because it's my choice. But because she said I'm not strong enough for chemo and she doesn't think hormonals will work at this late stage. And because of my liver I'm definitely within months of death -- less than 6 for sure.

I'm taking this bad though.  I thought I'd be okay with it but I find I'm on the edge of panic about dying now.  Isn't that silly?

But knowing you ladies ( and gents) and how you can always seem to help, I hope you come up with some magic words.  Please?

Thanks.

20130502 Member Posts: 162
    edited February 2014

Teri,

That is hard news.  We are never ready for big things - no matter how much we think we are.  My mom was in a coma for weeks before she passed and I thought I was ready - but when they called to tell us - I found out I was not.  Know that we are all here for you - 24/7 since you have friends all around the world!  In truth - you are not in a new place, just where you were before Hospice acted up on you.  Try to focus on the moment (yes I know SO easy to say and SO hard to do).   I am wishing you a peaceful night my friend and please write anytime - I'll be checking in to see ya! 

PS.  Deuce has gone into business in Halifax and is sending you warm coffee scented thoughts.

image  image

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited February 2014

Oh, Teri, I think we all know that we are all going to die SOMETIME, but it is always IN THE FUTURE and when you hear "less than a year" it really smacks you in the face or more likely, sucker punches you in the gut. Hard to get your breath. Know that I am holding you so gently, yet so completely wrapping my arms around you - you are safe, you are loved. You can cry, you can scream, you can just bury your head on my shoulder and sob as much as you want. You have been so incredibly strong and you have shown how much you love your animals by preparing for this. I am glad yo didn't have to get out in the weather to hear this news - am so glad the new doc would actually talk to you over the phone. I wish there was more I could do for you, but for now, this is it: you are loved!