Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited May 2014

Gwenny, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister. My thoughts are with you and your family.

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited May 2014

Missed you all a lot, and sending love and hugs to all. 

GwennyMD, my thoughts are with you.

FBB, I tend to try to make my own anti-depression potions. Over the years, I've tried sewing, reading, origami, painting my own nails, running, walking, tennis, tai chi, bridge, tennis, shopping... At times, I would have tried drugs if knew where to find them, alcohol if I was not allergic to it (my heart wants to jump out of my chest with a little bit of it), smoking if I could stand it... Bridge and tennis stuck with me and shopping only works when I can afford to do it. Now, I find reading of the groups like this thread and ones on FB very therapeutic to me. 

Have a great weekend! Marty, my ankle still have me chained to the bridge table, no tennis yet Sad

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited May 2014

ohmygosh I miss you all SOOO much! We got through the Eagle ceremony and it was awesome. I'm picking up thing 2 now to go for oral surgery! Many tales to tell and pics to show and catching up on all of you to do! Hopefully tonight! Love to all!!!

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited May 2014

Gwenny, so sorry for your loss.  Sounds like good things came out of it with everyone being together.  May God give you all strength and peace.  Please don't let your own health slip through the cracks.

Bailey, you sound like one busy lady.  Congrats on having an Eagle!  Morningsun, you sound like you have it together.  Sorry that you are stuck at the bridge table.  Fierce, thinking of you always.  Jeannie, Sbe, Liefie, Movie, Lahela, Nihahi, Bosum, MartyJ, and anyone I may have missed, have a good weekend.

How is Goldie?  I haven't seen anything from her lately.  I bet she's on DIEP 2014.  I need to go there...

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited May 2014

Gwenny, my heart goes out to you and your family.  I am sorry you have so much to deal with right now. I know from experience that it can be difficult to stay positive when so many negative things are happening, but keep telling yourself that you are healthy, and believe it!  It is important. Do whatever you can to keep the stress level down. ((Hugs)), dear. 

• OneTexasDay
    OneTexasDay Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2014

I am having DIEP ON 6/12. 

I have an office job, I am an IT consultant so I am usually at a desk but do float around the office. leading and attending meetings. I am curious what to expect about going back to the office from those who went through this and any suggestions/lessons learned on recovery. Thanks!!!!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited May 2014

Gwenny.....so very sorry for the loss of your sister. It sounds like she was surrounded by love, and that you have a family that truly supports each other. (((X))).

OneTexasDay....I saw your post on the Diep thread too. I'm glad you've found that one also...it's a very "special" connection to find ladies going through this in the same "timeframe" as you. The most important thing you'll learn, is that everyone of us is different and has different experiences. The best advice I can give you is to get as healthy as you can, pre-surgery. Try to get to a good BMI, healthy eating, find activities/exercises that you enjoy doing to build up good core muscles and cardiac status... I'm sure you'll do great in June.

bosum...I am getting so excited for the start of your yoga class...cannot wait to hear from you about it.

bailey...hope son's dental stuff went ok...wisdom teeth??? 

Morningsun....take care of the dang ankle!!!! 

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

bosum.....thou shalt not bash thyself......! Just go next week with a smile on your face!

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2014

Thanks to everyone of you for your continuing support!!

• bailey6760
    edited May 2014

Oh my, I caught up reading here, finally.....BUT.  ....Thing 1 just walked in from the prom so I'll be back in a few minutes!

All right then, I got 5-6 pages behind so we'll see what my brain will remember, it fails me so often!

Blue decaf coffee is my band name. I like FBB's the best! No pants java is my favorite band ever!

Gwenny, I am so sorry you lost your sister...brought tears to my eyes. Hugs and prayers to you and your family. 

Movie so glad you got a vacation.....much needed, for certain....and flowers, too! You are a very good daughter. 

Em and Aubrey are adorable! Liefie I love your party picture, and Cherrie's PS picture ....and Nihahi's scenery is always inspiring Smile

FBB, FBC. In your pockets every day, my friend. 

Bosumblues, hugs, honey, keep on it, hang in there....you're coming along. It's hard to see when you've still got your head down in the trenches, but you are progressing.

Jbloom, you always have kind words for all and I appreciate that about you. 

Morningsun, how's the ankle?

Sbel, I think you said you are going to Israel? That's so wonderful....so happy for you!

Yes, Nihahi, Thing 2 had lower wisdom teeth out on Friday. He was quite convinced afterward that he was a Ninja, that he should go for a run, needed paper and pencil to do math and chemistry equations and was certain that his chin was not his own. Wow. Really makes me wonder what the heck I say to people when I am loopy. Wilbur was with him, for certain! He's doing well compared to all the horror stories I've heard.....but still swollen and painful and put out about it. He says his uppers are just fine staying in his head lol! We'll see about that.

Here is a picture of Thing 1 at his Eagle ceremony. It was a really terrific day....yes we are very proud of him. Oh, and prom was GREAT! He looked wonderful and his girlfriend was lovely.

Yes, we are BUSY....but it's all good stuff.

Love to all, gnite!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited May 2014

Gwynny - I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I'm glad you are at peace with her decisions. I think that peace and good memories are the best possible gift we can be left with after such a tremendous loss.  My thoughts are with you and your family

Janet

• bailey6760
    edited May 2014

Here are the articles about my dad....there is a link to the second article within the first article.

I think you'll need to copy the link into a browser window to get it to go.

The reporter did a great job, we are so pleased. Although there were a few errors, my mom was from Hulbert, MI, not Eckerman and Dad started his first job after college in 1962, not 1972. They are over the moon!

Here is the link to the first story:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/05/cutting_edge_legwork_local_man.html#

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited May 2014

Bailey, what a wonderful article! (I was able to read both). Your dad is amazing and so is your mom and her support. You are blessed to have them. Great pic of your oldest kiddo, too. I love hearing about the happy things going on...

Good grief, my cold is back or it's a new one, I don't know. I really want to go to Livestrong tomorrow because Sherry Lebed will be speaking to us and leading us in exercise. She has an exercise program called the Lebed Method which she put on DVD for those of us with LE or those who want to maybe prevent it. Apparently she is a member of our Y. Maybe if I stand in a corner and sniff by myself?

FBB, thinking of you....I hope you get some good news. We've been watching a junko family in our Hydrangea vine right by our family room window. Eggs are hatched!

• Zenful
    edited May 2014

Bailey, I read both stories, and they brought tears to my eyes.  I can't help but think your dad is a warrior similar to us DIEP gals, and trying to get the word out about it.  His strength is amazing.  I loved the quote about what your Dad taught you: 

“You carry on, no matter what.  You don’t let anything slow you down.”

You learned it well, Bailey.  A chip off the old block!

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

Bailey....amazing stories.....amazing family....and you do your family proud, yourself! Thank you so much for sharing that with us. 

• Morningsun1
    edited May 2014

Wonderful story, bailey! You are your father's daughter, a true fighter. I am going to send the link to someone I know who works at VA Pittsburgh.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2014

I know I don't post often, but I think of all of my FBC friends so often. I scanned posts and saw many different topics. 

Gwenney- I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. Thank you for telling us. My heart goes out to you and your family. 

Movie- hope you are getting some relaxing time. You deserve this so much.

Katy- wow! We all have children spread out across the US. I need to toughen up about that. Where in Virginia? 

Bailey- the article about your father was amazing. What spirit he has. 

Jeannie- I was following the talk about sex. Yes, FBC has really put a dent in that. I am currently trying a very low dose vaginal estrogen. Just started after much deliberation. We' ll see. 

Nihahi- I love seeing those first birds that let us know Spring is on the way. 

Liefie- I love that pic of your son reading to your adorable grand baby. It is so much fun. Like you I wish I had more contact. 

Take care friends! I will be back.

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

OMG bosum......hope things heal up quickly! You're going to need to be super protective of your skin from the sun for awhile, after such an agressive "peel". I hope the yoga class works out a bit better for you this week.

Had my nip followup appt today...He's happy, I'm happy. He is pretty sure that polysporin should be a no-no for me. He gave me a bit of a lecture about not contacting him when things were going south, but he also agreed with what I did to sort things out. I am off all restrictions so put on a support bra and went for a run tonight, that had to include some walking, since I've lost some fitness, but.....nip survived, and I know the fitness will come back.

Happy camper here tonight Nerdy

Morningsun...how's that ankle coming?

cherrie...ALWAYS good to hear from you.

I checked the airfares for the gathering this morning....my flights have gone down again........by 35 cents.....SERIOUSLY?????

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited May 2014

Bosum, I did the same thing to a lesser degree a few days before my DS's wedding in November last year. Was supposed to use very little of the (expensive!) stuff overnight, but obviously had put on too much. Woke up with some redness, peeling and dry patches on my cheeks, defo not the look that I wanted - LOL. Could blame nobody but myself -  the things we do to ourselves, eh? Just stay out of the sun, and use lots of moisturizer.

Nihahi, so happy you are happy! It's a good feeling, for sure. I've been using coconut oil on my nipple and sutures after I read about your reaction to the polysporin, which my PS had recommended. The coconut oil works beautifully, and everything is very soft, and looks really good. There's still some sutures there. They sure take their sweet old time to dissolve - it's been more than a month now.

Okay, I'm off to check airfaires for September. Hope it is affordable, otherwise I will be taking several ferries - LOL.

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

liefie...hope you find some decent prices, but if not, a couple ferry rides sounds like not a bad alternative!

I've been using my old friend, Glaxal Base, ever since things healed up on the nip. It is so "basic", it seems to suit me. The coconut oil sounds like it's been working well for you...that's great. I know many people swear by more "natural" things, but so many of them have botanical/herbal ingredients, and I seem to react to them. Bio Oil was a huge no no for me. I get a very upset tummy if I eat raw coconut.....I'm thinking I will stay away from the oil too. Seems the older I get, the more I react to things. Such is life. 

Have good days everyone. Movie.....if you're reading.....hugs and wishes for a good "time off" going out to you.

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2014

Liefie, you know I will be your chauffeur if needed! 

Nihahi, I hear you on the skin reactions or body reactions, for that matter. I have to use a prescription antibiotic cream instead of polysporin or bacitracin because they give me a rash.  I need it because every little hangnail has to be treated so I avoid cellulitis. I did use Manuka honey recently on an area that was taking its time to heal. It was better overnight! Now I have excema, too. And I can't tolerate fresh garlic, which is supposed to be good for all kinds of things! It goes through me in the most painful way...I try to remind myself that my body is doing all kinds of things to take care of me every second of every day. It is a wonderful creation despite what we have been through. 

Bosom, you have received good advice about staying out if the sun! Your new skin will probably be fresh and beautiful. I don't like the sound of that postal worker...I hope you enjoy your yoga class--don't worry about your face there. Even though it's a class, it is an individual exercise--no comparisons of face skin! I hope you make some good, supportive connections with people there.

I am sneezing my way through life so now I think the cold has morphed into allergies. The only problem is, it's been pouring and pollen counts are low. Who knows. 

DH has an all day round of final interviews for the job he wants today, except for one more interview with someone on Friday who couldn't make it today. I hope everybody unanimously gives a thumbs up!  

My brother is driving my parents down to San Diego in a two-day trip this week to check out the senior living place he found. The trip down will most likely exhaust them---not the best condition to be in when viewing the place. My mom is already coming up with reasons not to like it. It just has to happen. None of us are giving them a choice anymore. My dad turns 88 this month. I feel sorry for them. My admiration for you, Movie, grows by the day.

Love you guys.

• Morningsun1
    edited May 2014

136 and counting...

Thanks for asking, nihahi, ankle is healing very very slowly. Still some swelling that won't go away, but not much pain. My PT friend told me to do some exercises to "pump" out the stagnant fluid, doing it as I type, but need remember to do more. A friend of told me to check the prices on Wednesdays for good deal, so I am checking tomorrow.

I love the smell of coconut oil, and I use it a lot. It's does not seem to do anything for me by itself, so I use it as a base oil to mix with the essential oils. I am throwing in everything anyone has ever mentioned about scars, so when I am done, I wont know what has worked what hasn't, but I will know that I've done all I could, maybe...

Love to all!

• Zenful
    edited May 2014

Jeannie,  my fingers are crossed for you and hubby. I just feel like this one will work out for him.   It's your turn, dang it !

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2014

Thanks, Zenful! It went really well today. An added perk is that corporate headquarters are located in Ann Arbor, MI and Engineering is in Rancho Bernardo, CA where we used to live. We have daughters in those places! Perhaps DH would have cause to travel there if he gets the job....One more interview on Friday and a decision next week. Trying to temper our excitement....

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2014

Jeannie--Sending positive thoughts to your husband today, tomorrow, well everyday!!  It is too much of a coincidence for it not to happen!!  Kat

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2014

Jeannie- Sending warms hugs and positive thoughts your way. It sure sounds hopeful. I will keep my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed. Well maybe not my eyes. 

We're finding airline tickets expensive too. They are still near $400 and both my hubby and I are coming to Seattle. Has anyone gotten a deal yet? We may wait longer and hope prices don't go up.

My DH and I will be wintering in Sebastian, FL. We bought a place in a 55 + community. Looking forward to warmth, sun, outdoor activities, and friends visiting. I am excited, but nervous about "spending". Well I guess retirement is the best time to try these things. 

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited May 2014

Jeannie - I hope that everyone unanimously gives your husband the thumbs up too. In the meantime - thumbs up from me!

Janet

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

jeannie...this has GOT to be "the one"....the connections are just too perfect for it not be a sign! I have some pollen allergies, but the past 5 or 6 years, mold has been the bigger issue for me. Not the mold like "bad housekeeping", but the "natural" stuff found outdoors. Wetlands, marshy areas, ponds etc., make my head explode within seconds. I wonder if you have some of that going on??? Tough stuff for your folks, but I agree, it sounds like the time for it to be a "choice" has passed.

Morningsun.....you could try contrast baths to help kickstart the circulation in your ankle. Get two buckets, or something big enough to dunk your foot about 2 inches above your ankle. Fill one with ice cold water, and add some ice cubes to keep it cold. The other is filled with very warm water, but not "burn" hot. First you soak in the cold for about 2 minutes, then right into the warm for a minute..then right back into the cold for 2, warm for 1, cold for 2 warm for 1. If you can manage a couple more cycles, that's ok....likely more than 6 cycles will not mean more benefit though. When you're done....legs up the wall pose, or at least elevate your leg for about 10 minutes. 

cherrie....a warm winter getaway haven sounds wonderful!!!!!! Enjoy!!!

Kat-ski....hope things are healing up for you.

Janet...it snowed here AGAIN today, but I've heard you easterners are actually having spring...can that be true??? sob sob sob.

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2014

Thanks, ladies, for your good wishes! 

Oh, Nihahi, snow??? So sorry. Thanks for the tip about mold. I'm sure it is around. We have record rainfall for May already. I was tested for allergens years ago but I don't remember mold. Grasses and olive trees, yes. Can you tell I was tested in California? Not too many olive trees here, at least that I know of.

Cherrie, wintering in Florida sounds great! I'm glad you're giving it a try. 

Liefie, I still have a few sutures in one nip.I did have some removed and removed some myself. Tattoos one month from today! First I have to get through a 4 month MO appt. next week and a colonoscopy on the 19th, ugh. 

FierceBlueBird, thinking of you!!!

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited May 2014

Thanks Jeannie. Getting my stereotactic radiosurgery today and PET scan on Friday.

Sounds like things are looking up for hubby! If you want to stimulate some career Feng Shui energies for extra luck, put a water fountain (or picture of water) at your front door or entrance. Or even just tack up a black and white picture or company name of where hubby wants to work. There are other ideas out there, but these two are quick and easy.

Good luck to him!