Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited May 2014

And Cherrie your babies are so beautiful!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited May 2014

A-OK, no polyps on colonoscopy! However, I was really annoyed when asked, "Why don't you get a port?" since I have to have IVs in my foot. I not so patiently explained that I had had one for a year, thank you very much, and cancer folks like to move on from feeling like patients. "Oh, but you can't see ports. We love them here at the surgicenter," I was told dismissively. "I could see and feel mine," I said. Finally, one of them backed off a little and said, "I guess if you haven't ever had a port you don't really know...." Yeah! When my veins can no longer be accessed safely I will consider a port. I am tired of putting up with so much yuk from my body and from others. I had to have anesthesia/bp monitoring during the c. because of my stupid eye, wore my sleeves the whole time. Don't mess with me. Also, no word on "that job" for DH although we heard some principals are out of town---how rude. He has an interview with someone else tomorrow and someone else on Friday, so he continues getting interviews, at least. 

FBB, shoot, I wish you could get a break. Prayers that it's an incidentaloma.

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited May 2014

Hey guys,

I hate to intrude on your peaceful place, but it's hard to get your attention over on 2014.  I know you all stop in now and again, but I have a question.  For those of you that had expander's, or implants replaced with diep, how long did it take for you pec muscles to calm down after surgery and start to feel better?

Hope all is well with all of you.  I miss talking to many of you on a regular basis.  Hopefully, it will be my turn to graduate to over here.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited May 2014

Dammit.....I am having trouble posting tonight.....

Sbe-Glad you are back....still planning on our rendezvous in a couple weeks before you head off to the hospital for phase 2b.....

Bailey-sorry about your friend......such a sh***y disease......

Spending most of my day(s) looking after my mom, as she is deteriorating almost in front of my eyes.......scary.......and I try to read every day, but finding a few moments to post is a joke......

Bailey beat me to it....check out Southwest Air.....perhaps some better prices.....

I love you ladies, and miss my time chatting on here with you terribly..........Bawling

XO

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited May 2014

love you movie....

jeannie....great to hear the pipes were clean! Yeah, so true on just about anything connected to bc....if you haven't actually been through it, you really, REALLY don't get it.

FBB.....thinking of you everyday....hope some better news starts landing on your plate for you.

goldie....for me, I think it was about a month or so until I didn't notice the muscle issues being quite so dominant, and physio starting at about 8 weeks (I think) was very important for me. I do think after a couple weeks post surgery, I could tell things were "shifting", which means not necessarily better, but just different. The timelines are getting a bit hazy for me, but I think it truly took about 5 to 6 months to see real progress. But....I was quite a well established mess, shoulder and chest wise. I hope relief happens for you too, and in a much shorter time frame.

• goldie4040
    edited May 2014

Thanks, Nihahi.  I need to hope.  I probably will go back to the PT I saw only one time before my diep.  She did that myofascial release massage on me.  It seemed to help a bit. She also recommended wearing a sleeve during heavy exercise, repetitive motion activities like housework, when I walk for exercise, and if I fly. She believes in better safe than sorry. 

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

goldie....we say it so often.....it takes time...and your body is still highly stressed.

My advice would be to make physio a "definite" not a "probably". You need to heal, obviously, but your muscles/nerves also have to relearn a pattern of response. Sometimes the body needs to be taught that stimuli for pain have been altered, before you start to feel differently. (Not sure if I'm explaining it well..it's been a long day). If you feel pain for a long time, sometimes your body forgets to let go of the memory of pain, even if the reason for pain is no longer present. You are still early, early stages. Do you sense ANY change in your previous pain issues??? 

A lot of my issues were scar/adhesion problems as well as rib deformity with scapular and shoulder impingement/involvement. Once the scar tissue was released, and the swelling subsided, things started to shift and begin the sorting out process, but I couldn't have progressed very far without physio. My pec was not stitched back in place..my PS believes it gradually settles back as much as it's going to on its own. 

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2014

Goldie - I so agree with Nihahi.  You gotta give this time.  My pecs were stitched back in place because they were such a mess.  It was 6 - 8 weeks before I noticed no iron bra and then months to get things right.  I am now 18 months from Stage 1 and am doing major pec work to get things working all in sync. My doc didn't want me to start with PT at 8 weeks - she liked a longer profile.   Please give yourself time.  

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2014

It was great to hear positive results from a few of you. Let's keep that coming.  

Goldie- It is still so early. I was a little impatient, but that tightness in my chest is still getting better and I am 18 months out of stage 1. It WILL get better for you. 

I am sitting at the airport right now waiting at a Southwest gate. I will check out those prices however I am going to Seattle first.

Bosum- that is so sad about your Chiro too. I am still so sad about this. He was my age. (59)

Fierce- thinking about you and hope your news is good. 

• goldie4040
    edited May 2014

Thanks guys.  I guess I am too impatient.  I have had two different people tell me they woke up and the pain was gone.  I was hoping for that, but I will take a few months, or even a year, if I know I will get better.  I am standing straighter today, and my tummy incision looks less angry, and stopped draining. My tummy was pulled so tight the skin was shiny. Today the shininess is gone.  Hmmm.

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

Cindy - you are a perfect success story - your perfect success.  Don't hold yourself to anyone else's healing pattern.  It really is not unusual to still have soreness 9 weeks out.  Actually, pretty normal.

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited May 2014

Goldie - Listen to Marty. Try to be patient. 

A lot of gals reported a big turning point at about week three. You're almost there. Hang in there. Keep eating salads and breath as deeply as you can. 

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

It takes several weeks just to get the anesthesia after effects out of the way.  Most doctors ask you to take at least 6 weeks to recover.  They are really serious.  For some of us it takes a bit longer.  7 - 10 hours of anesthesia and a major trauma to two areas of the body.  Patience is what is really essential.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited May 2014

Here is a lesson on patience.

To recap, One month ago I was in the hospital with pneumonia. Ct
    scans and chest xrays show lots of radiation damage with the pneumonia
    and some suspicious areas. Supraclavicle lymph nodes are swollen.
    Doctor number one wants to do a lymph node biopsy, which is somewhat
    invasive because the lymph they want sits on my lung. Doctor number two
    says forget the lymph node, get a lung biopsy. (major surgery) Doctor
    number three says, could be radiation damage, but talks to doctor number
    two (same hospital) and says go for lung biopsy. Doctor number four,
    (same hospital as doc #1) says lymph first, - then lung if necessary.
    Sounds good to me but I get yet one more opinion with doctor I had
    already set up to talk about trials. Doctor #5 says he thinks it's
    radiation damage, but go ahead with lymph node biopsy since it was
    already set up. (Okay, hope everyone was paying attention because
    there is going to be a quiz after this! )

Okay, so my lung lymph
    node biopsy is scheduled for today. It's a two hour procedure. I'm on
    the table, gowned up, IV in, anesthesia prepped and ready to go, 10,000
    forms signed and dated, and surgeon walks in. Feels my lymph nodes and
    there is nothing to feel! After all the opinions, the worry, the sleepless nights.... the lymph nodes have
    settled down and my lungs are clearing up. The surgeon steps into the
    hallway to call doctor #1 and tell him the news. I look at my husband
    and say with a frantic look, "WHAT SHOULD WE DO?" My husband says, "I
    don't have a medical opinion!" LOL! The surgeon comes back in and says
    she's cancelling the surgery and I can go home. All the nurses and
    anesthesia people and we could hardly believe it but it was awesome! I
    got up off the table, got dressed and went home!

Ran away as fast as I could go before they changed their minds! Nothing like a "get out of jail free card!" 

Still doing the happy dance!

• Ridley
    Ridley Member Posts: 95
    edited May 2014

FBB - awesome news!  Nothing like walking (or running) out of the OR on your own two feet.  I hope today's event starts a string of good luck for you!

Ridley

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

Run, FBB, run!!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2014

WOW FBB- that is the best thing I have heard all day. Congratulations. A toast to you. 

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited May 2014

That's wonderful news, FBB!!!  Doing the happy dance right along with you!!

Bailey,  Midway is a bit too far for me.  I will be flying out of Detroit.  Haven't checked prices yet, though.

My checkup today with my MO went pretty well, but he wants me to get a brain MRI.  Told him I will need some Xanax for that!  I have this weird symptom of regularly smelling cigarette smoke when there is no smoke around.  I googled it, and it could be nothing.  Many people suffer from phantom smells, but one of the things it could be is a brain tumor.  I'm still thinking positive, but my doc wants to get it checked out rather than spending a lot of time ruling things out.  Guess it will be good to know if there is any brain matter up there! This is definitely the month of testing!

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited May 2014

Marty, still laughing! Still Running like Forest Gump!

Zen, try not to worry. I think with less people smoking, it lingers longer and stronger. I can smell it when the car in front of me has smokers.  Or there's always the thought that someone you knew who was a smoker but passed on is around you. (I'm wacky, I know.) Loopy

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2014

FBB, that is the happiest news I could hear! Yay for your body getting rid of that stinkin' swelling! I hope you are still dancing and singing!

Zenful, I will think positively with you and throw in some prayers! I remember when I had a brain MRI last November for my eye problem. The doc showed it to me --it was like a video--and it was weird but good to see the gray matter was there. I hope you have the same experience.

• goldie4040
    edited May 2014

Thank you one and all!!!  I love you guys.  Most of us have been here a year, or more.  Oh the things we have been through.  99.9 percent of us are doing good.  I will get there.

Hi Bosum.  Glad your internet is up and running again.  Also, I am happy you are making definite decisions.  I really think you will do fine with your original surgeon.  Crossing fingers for you.  May I ask, why are you waiting so long to see these docs?

Janet. I am holding you to the magic 3 week mark...hehehehe.  I think the hardest part is the isolation.  People call, email, text, send flowers, etc....but I really don't feel like hanging out.  I would invite somebody over to watch a movie, or to bring lunch and hang out, but I don't think I would be much fun.  I have a very nice brother, but it's times like this I wish I had a sister who could be around me no matter how I felt, acted, or looked.  We could just hang out, and it would be easy.  My husband is going back to work at the end of the week.  I am anticipating being more mobile by then. 

• MartyJ
    edited May 2014

oh my, Zenful, I have been smelling cigarette smoke at random times for 22 years since I quit smoking.  I mean just laying in bed watching tv and I suddenly smell cig smoke.  Deep in my nose and throat.  Never knew there might be something wrong with me.  I kind of equated it to phantom pain.  I do hope you are okay!

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2014

DH didn't get the job even though they all said he had their vote.

• goldie4040
    edited May 2014

Zenful,  I walked into our house after being in the hospital for 4 days having my diep, and the first thing I said to my husband is, "is somebody here smoking?!"  He looked at me like I was nuts. But, I use to smoke, and maybe like Marty my mind was playing tricks on me, but try not to worry to much.  I have been smelling other things like toast burning, and I keep swearing a skunk went off in the backyard.  Maybe we have all had too much anesthesia in the last year, or so. Of course, get the MRI to completely rule out anything being wrong, but try not to fret too much.  Prayers and hugs.

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited May 2014

FBB, wonderful news! I may not pass a pop quiz, but I'm happy dancing for you!

Zen, fingers crossed for nothing more than brain on your MRI!

Jeannie, so sorry about the bad news. This must be so hard for you and DH. {{{{{hugs}}}}} to you both. Hopefully it just means something better is around the corner.

• GwennyMD
    GwennyMD Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2014

Bailey - I am so sorry for your loss

Zen - all fingers and toes are crossed.  

Bosom - I am glad that you are making plans for the future. 

Jeanne - Sorry for DH job news.  Will keep fingers crossed that the right opportunity will present itself very soon. 

Fierce - FANTASTIC NEWS  

• GwennyMD
    GwennyMD Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2014

I like Midway.  I have friends in Chicago and I always use Midway because it is right downtown.  My frequent flyer friends say that Tuesday night is the best time to check for sale flights.

Wish I could join you ladies but it is just not possible this year.  I already have some committments for time and money.  My current project is to have French drain put in back yard to stop water from attacking my house.  I still need to have at least one more revision surgery to fill in dents in breast (fat grafting) and then nipples..  If the planets align and everything goes according to plan, I will retire early next year.    

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited May 2014

Oh Jeannie, what a disappointment.  I will keep praying for you and DH.

After hearing from Marty and Goldie, it sounds like this cigarette smell may be more common than I thought. Honestly, I think I'm more worried about having the MRI. I hate those things!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited May 2014

Jeannie, sorry for the let-down.  What a disappointment.  I'm keeping the prayer line open...(((hugs))).

The cigarette smell thing must be common.  Many mornings I have lain in sleepily in bed, thinking I must be smelling a neighbor's cigarette smoke through an open window, but when I got up to check...nothing.  And the smell is gone,.  Weird!

Fierce, what a story.  And what good news!  Yay!

So this morning I'm all low-carbbed for the PET scan.  I lost two pounds--not a bad trade-off, but I'd still skip the PET if given the choice.  

Blue skies, everyone!

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

Fierce.....happy dance, happy, happy happy dance!!!!!!Nerdy

jeannie.....el crappo!!!! Those people just don't know who they have let slip through their grasp. I'm so sorry....don't know what else to say other than another hang in there....still hoping something good comes along.

sbe...never had a PET....why the diet changes???? You have me very curious.

zen......you will show those mri techies you are LOADED with grey matter, and NOTHING else!

goldie.....you're sounding better! One day at a time, little grasshopper, one day at a time.

gwenny....I'm sure there will be more gatherings in the future! I'd even bet on it! You guys gotta come up here to Canada...shoot, with the exchange rate, I'd likely be sending you home with a profit!!