Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited May 2014

jeannie, I'm so  sorry about the disappointment.  That was a crappy job anyway, and i have it on good authority that the boss is a real a-hole! The building has black mold and the company is going under in 6 months anyway. Good riddance to them! A much better job is coming along any day now!

Goldie, hang in there! The first few weeks are rough but as everyone says, it will get better. 

Nihahi, for a PET scan they give you radioactive glucose. You do a no carb diet for 24 hours beforehand so that that any suspicious cells gobble up the glucose. But there will be none of that for sbel!

Zen, of all the tests ive done i didnt find the brain MRI that bad. And i hate tests!

Sorry about the huge pic. Cant resize for some reason.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited May 2014

Fierce...ThumbsUpThumbsUp on everything!!! Love the pic!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited May 2014

Sbel, praying for you this morning. Low carb diet, colonoscopy prep=lose two pounds! The prep really wasn't that bad but can't/shouldn't/who would want to do that every day. I don't think I've had a PET scan or if I did I didn't have to cut back on carbs. Like Nihahi, I'm curious.

Gwenny, I'm sorry you can't come to the gathering. Nihahi is right, there will be others. You have a lot going on! Retirement! If we can somehow make it through six or seven years, DH can retire, too. Last night I was actually looking at trailer parks online....

Flying off to California today-Sunday with hubs, thank God, to help my parents get ready to move. I don't know if I could handle it without hubs. A big snafu is that they have tried to reach their landlord for two weeks and he has not responded. Weird. My dad's 88th birthday is Friday so it's nice to be there for that. My aunt tragically died last year on that day so it will be tough for my mom, though. 

I'm so thankful for your support and prayers. That and my faith are seeing me through.

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

Just caught your post jeannie....

Haven't heard much about the wildfires in CA lately, so hopefully things are settling down???? I'm glad to hear hubby will be joining you. Yup....tough stuff on the horizon...keep focussed on the prize...Mom and Dad will be in a safer scenario, and the rest of the family can breathe a bit easier.

I bet you come home with a whole new outlook on purging too Nerdy!

Special occasions are so often tied to sad events. I completely understand what your mom will be feeling... my mom's funeral was on my birthday..we had to do it that day, to accommodate her only surviving brother coming in from out of town.....just don't feel like celebrating on that date anymore.

Later ladies.....gotta dash.

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2014

Nihahi, how tragic. I will celebrate your birthday for you because I'm thankful you are alive to teach and encourage us all! When is it? This will be the second purge I've done with my folks. We got rid of junk the first time. There will be a little of that but mostly it's antiques, crystal, etc. I guess Goodwill is in for a nice surprise. I don't think there will be time to get rid of it properly. Such a shame but at least they can claim it on their taxes. I'm supposed to get my Grandma's china set. Good grief, my mind is a little overwhelmed, thinking of the purging I may have to do myself soon. It's hard to wrap my mind around it. We've received some heartfelt messages today from friends and family about how we are encouraging them by still standing despite what we are/have been going through. It's comforting to know our faith is shining through our tears and lives.

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2014

FBB, I didn't see your post. Oh, how I love you and your kick-a$s attitude!

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2014

Oh, and Nihahi, the fires have been contained. Sadly, this was a very early start to the fire season so these were only the beginning. Thankfully, all the different firefighting/police agencies have learned to attack them together which is very effective.

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2014

FBB-I hope you ran faster than the gingerbread man!!  Congrats on not having surgery!!! 

I have been trying to move on but the body just wants to lag!  I must be having spasms in my tummy and the outsides of my flaps.  It feels like a "sunburn" sensation.  I am taking  doxycycline twice a day for infection in the inscision.  I hope it is strong enough.  Wounds are slowly healing.  I saw a new MO yesterday and he was a little more proactive but still remains in the guidelines of government protocol.  I think I am more tired than anything but life does go on!

• Kat-ski
    edited May 2014

This is a little bit of my thoughts I wanted to share with you:  I hope you enjoy it and especially understand it as I have a way of thinking backwards!!(lol)

"I am a free spirit and as long as I am able to do things w/o hurting anyone, please, just let me be that fluttering spirit to visit all I love in my soul whether living or not. This brings the utmost comfort of peace to those who we do love dearly. How can you hold a moonbeam in your hand? You can't, they go to where they are needed and give warm fuzzies to one that are in need. PLease don't ever hold back my moonbeams because there are plans for them whether they are big or small. "How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?" WEEEEEE
    I am free and no one can catch me but I will be back after I make it aound the universe-just listen for me, I will never forget you! I will be humming in your heart!"

Cathy Elwartowski  April 2014

• FierceBluebird
    edited May 2014

Katski, that was beautiful!

Jeannie, purging parent's stuff is the worst. I still have post traumatic stress from helping my parents move after 50 years of collecting by my Dad!

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

This is too interesting not to share. Comes from ruthbru on the exercise thread. And, fyi......I already have raisins soaking, even though I'm not on Als...why pass up a good thing, eh ?Nerdy

"This is the 'recipe' my aunt's doctor shared with her on a natural way to counteract the aches & pains that go along with arthritis. Both she & my mom used it successfully for years. I am thinking that it sure would be worth trying for the similar achiness that can go along with Als......if you are having problems, it sure would be worth a try!

To prepare gin-soaked raisin, first empty one box of dried white raisin in a shallow container. Only white or golden raisin should be used for this recipe. Then pour enough gin into the container to cover the raisin.

Cover the container and keep it covered for 7 – 10 days to allow the raisin to steep in the gin.

Allow all the gin to evaporate to leave gin-soaked raisins in the container. These raisins keep well when refrigerated. The popular advice is to take nine of these "drunken raisins" every day. Most users report improvements in arthritis symptoms between 1 – 8 weeks of using this remedy.

Why it works:

1. Golden raisins- the ONLY type of raisins worthy of the recipe- require sulfur or sulfides in their processing to make them golden. Sulfur is an active ingredient in 2 effective natural arthritis supplenents: glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate. Golden raisins come from sultana grapes and are cultivated under the name Thompson seedless grapes in the United States.

2. Sultana grapes contain proanthocyanidins which are thought to help fight infections and reduce inflammation. Grapes also contain resveratrol, a powerful anti-oxidant that is being studied for many of it's disease fighting properties.

3. Gin is flavored with juniper berries and juniper berries contain Terpinen. Terpinen has anti inflammatory properties. The essential oil that is in juniper berries contains more than 100 compounds including myrcene (an anti oxidant), catechins (anti-oxidant), and flavanoids (anti oxidant). Test tube studies have shown that juniper berries can inhibit prostaglandin synthesis. Prostaglandins help mediate an inflammatory response and increase the sensitivity of nerve endings to pain. By inhibiting their production, a reduction in pain can occur"

• FierceBluebird
    edited May 2014

Cindy, great looking family!  You look so pretty dressed up for Easter. 

Nihahi, good luck with raisins. Its an urban myth thats been passed around since the 70's, (nondetectable levels of helpful chemicals) but some people swear by it. Maybe a placebo effect. 

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

hahaha...fierce.....I'm not on Als or suffering from anything more significant than old age. I just thought it was a neat thing to do with raisins...who doesn't want a bit of a "zippy nibble" every now and then ?

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited May 2014

Gotta run before the grocery store closes--I need some golden raisins and some gin!  

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

fyi.....please read carefully, sbe......I wrote "zippy nibble".....not NIPPLE!!!!!

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited May 2014

Cindy, nice family photo.  Your hair is adorable.  I have a bob too, and I am tired of blowing it straight all the time.  I like the way yours is more free.  Very pretty. Now that I am too tired after I get out of the shower to do anything with my hair I have just been letting it air dry.  I look like...well not quite sure.  hehehehehe

• Kat-ski
    edited May 2014

"gin raisins" sound good to me!  My husband might even eat them as he like gin and tonic.

I remember my mom soaking raisins and the red cherries in a jar full of whiskey!  Hmmn, wonder what she did with them?

• FierceBluebird
    edited May 2014

if you eat enough of them it will cure it or you won't care! Winking

• sbelizabeth
    edited May 2014

Let's see...I'm supposed to soak my nipples in gin for a zippy relief of joint pain?  So confused. 

Thank you for your prayers and good vibes, dear friends.  The PET scan came back all clear. 

Now on to more revisions on June 4 (what better way to spend our 37th anniversary than getting a new nipple constructed?!)  Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be evened, nipped, tattooed, and on the other side of this damn speed bump.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited May 2014

Great news, Sbel!  Love to hear those clean reports!

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

for sbe.....

HAPPY DANCE......or I suppose it could just be the gin/nipples.....GIPPLES!!!! Nerdy

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2014

Sbel, thanking God with you for a clean PET! Before you know it you will be all tatted and truly moving on. Cancer-Schmancer. I am refraining from commenting on gin nipples, etc. --it is tempting, though!

This tired organizer/packer is going nighty-night. Getting my mom to focus is like herding cats, or cat. Even one cat would be hard to herd, I suppose. Obviously I am delirious.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited May 2014

Ladies, I could use a couple of Gin Nipples about now........finally have come to the conclusion (after a lengthy discussion with my Mom's Doctor) that it's time to call in Hospice for her.....if she makes it past the summer I will be surprised........Actually quite a relief to have finally made the decision......she isn't going to get better, and it's ALL downhill from here on out......

Sbe-I want to see you before your surgery......I think DH is riding down to LA with me on Saturday, May 31st......Maybe Salsa and Beer Sunday Evening?  Our treat this time!

Okay...I am nodding off......Love you all!   (Is it September, YET?????)Loopy

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

dear movie.....119 days....till we meet again.

I am so blown away by your compassion and care for your mom, and your strength for calling in hospice. You have mentioned all the right reasons to do so for her, but have left out that it is also the right decision for you and hubby. You have gone above and beyond for mom, now it's time to admit that you need help and support and "being cared" for too.....my hope is that hospice will be there for you too.

Hiking with Ade, today......you'll be "in the pack" as we natter away down the trail.

jeannie....herding cats would be MUCH easier than what you're doing, but no where near as important. 

I wish I had issues of any kind to "deal with" again with my mom or my dad........but they both had hard lives and "later years", so I just have to keep reminding myself they are no longer struggling.

• sbelizabeth
    edited May 2014

Movie, Salsa and Beer on Sunday, June 1 is a date!  Can't wait to see you, and meet your DH. 

After witnessing friends caring for their aging parents and finally calling in hospice, I can say, it has always been a positive experience.  The help and support that hospice provides is wonderful. 

Jeannie, wish we could come help with the sorting, discarding, saving, organizing, packing, and all that must go on to dismantle a long-standing household filled with memories. 

You know...a gin-soaked raisin, perched appropriately in the right spot, might make a nice nipple.  At least for a couple of minutes. Hahahaha....

Ok, enough of that!  Time to get to work here.  Have lovely days, dear friends.

• FierceBluebird
    edited May 2014

{{{{{{{{movie}}}}}}}}

• sbelizabeth
    edited May 2014

I watched "Pink Ribbons, Inc." on Netflix last night.  It's a very powerful movie, and no matter what your opinion is of Pinktober and fund-raising walks and rah-rah "awareness," the movie is very thought-provoking. 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2014

Jeannie- I don't know what to say, as I know how disappointed you are. Focus on your parents for now and deal with this when you get back. You have each other and will do fine.

Movie- I have dealt with hospice for my parents and my father in law. They do a good job. Use everything they have to offer, especially support and answering questions. All in all it was great for the parents, it is us that have a hard time saying goodbye. They are ready and you need to give them permission to go. We have no living parents and we will miss them forever, but hold many great memories. ((((Hugs))))

I soaked my nipples in gin. It felt great, but I still have no sensation.   :-)

Deb- You have definitely come a long way. You are lucky to have found your faith back. I have had a lot happen in the last few years and have never felt my prayers were answered. I now have faith in myself and the kindness of others. It has gotten me through so much and given me a strength I never knew I had. You are going to do wonderful. Count on it. 

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

Went for an easy ramble today. Unfortunately, all I have are cellphone photos, since I forgot to charge my camera battery. Bawling

As you can see, the rivers are starting to rise around here.....hope they behave themselves this year......

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2014

GREAT pictures! I always look forward to them and am never disappointed.