Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited May 2014

Goldie, the plastic surgeon who did my DIEP surgery is Dr Jennifer W. Robinson in Victoria, British Columbia. She is excellent, and does not proceed with anything unless she is 100% sure of the outcome.

Jeannie and DH, we hope/pray that Friday is the day something very good happens for you guys.

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited May 2014

Jeannie, you and your DH are in my thoughts and prayers.  I will go eat some chocolate, too, if you think it will help!  Love, Julie

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2014

Jeannie- My fingers are always crossed for you and DH. Your garden will be very well tended. You have done so much for your parents and I am sure they and your brother must know this. We do what we can and you need to find comfort knowing this. ((( hugs)))

My grand babies will be here tonight. They are on the road for a 12 hour trip. So far the 12 week old (Carter) is doing the best. The 3 year old is having a tougher time. They left at 4:15 this morning and Elly hasn't slept yet. Can't wait to hold them. Carter is being baptized at our church here in Michigan. I am hosting a luncheon with 40 people afterwards. I am mysteriously calm about this.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited May 2014
    Just time for a drive by posting, friends. So sorry. Still caught up in the whirlwind that is senior year/ college transition. 

And my dad is not doig well. The left side is not healing correctly. They are making plans to go to Mexico (German doc coming to Mexico) for repair. My turn to go with them, so now planning for that as well.
    Love y'all!
  • FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited May 2014

Jeannie, good luck for hubs on Friday. My siblings never even showed to help me pack my mom's things. I had to pack all her things, go through her clothes and donate stuff, and yet later heard comments about how "Kris got all the good stuff."   Sheesh.

Nihahi, we have Indian pipes too, but they are boring compared to yours. Ours are the ghost ones, pure white. I will eat wild mushrooms if they are the right types. Chicken of the woods and oyster mushrooms are the best. Hen of the Woods or Maitake is pretty rare around here but I have found it and it's also a potent medicinal mushroom.  

Yummy!

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited May 2014

Hi everyone! I am still around, reading more than posting. Just clicked on the countdown, 114 days to go...

fbb, I love mushrooms, any kind as long as they are eatable. 

Jeannie, re: job for dh. Sometimes when I want something really bad, I would dismiss my best prospect as not a prospect at all to everyone including myself. Call it superstition or low expectation or whatever, but it has worked for me a good number of times in the past. My other trick is to tell myself, it's not going to happen, it's not going to happen and I start to prepare for my next move based on it's not happening. If it happens, nice surprise, if not, I am ready for the next step.

Nihahi, I always show your wonderful pictures of the nature to everyone around me. They make me wanting to retire in your neck of the woods. 

Good luck with your dad, bailey!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited May 2014

Bailey, I am saying prayers for you and your dad. How wonderful for the doc to meet him in Mexico rather than making other trip overseas. He sounds like a caring doctor.  ((Hugs))

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited May 2014

Thanks Zen and MS1.....need all the prayers we can get!

This is really hard. Not feeling like I have the stamina I used to and still raising kids and helping parents.....and working. It's exhausting.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited May 2014

Morningsun....I've been thinking of you everytime I watch some French Open tennis...how's that ankle of yours?

bailey.....soooo sorry to hear of the setback for Dad...crossing everything double now....for jeannie and for you. 

I'm so glad you ladies enjoy the pics....sometimes I feel like I'm overdoing it....this isn't a photo forum, after all, but I just get excited to share what I'm seeing with you. 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited May 2014

Oh no Bailey! Life can be so overwhelming at times. I hope for the very best for your father. Thinking of you for sure. 

Liefie- I forgot to say welcome back. I am sure it is bittersweet after spending time with family. Always hard to leave. 

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited May 2014

Nihahi, your pictures are beautiful. Don't you dare stop posting them! I have never seen Indian pipes before - so pretty!

Bailey, sorry to hear your dad is not recovering as he should. Hopefullly the trip to Mexico will see everything sorted out.

Cherrie, enjoy your grandchildren. I miss my little Emily so much. Hope the mysterious calmth endures . . . lol.

• jlbloom
    edited May 2014

Bailey, more prayers for you and your family.  Asking God to give you strength.  Jeannie, strength for you and your DH.

Grandmothers, that is why I live in Indiana now.  Our twin grand children turned six shortly after we moved here.  Their older brother was eight.  It is very hard seeing them only on occasion.  I know everyone can't move to be near their grand babies.  Praying that Skype and lots of pictures will keep you in close touch with those little ones.

FBB, how are things going?

Love to all. ...Julie

• jlbloom
    edited May 2014

Nihahi, I love the pictures.  I didn't have a clue what the Indian Pipes were.  ...Julie

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited May 2014

Hey guys, the diep 2014 thread is awesome.  Some really great gals over there, but we are seem to be in the same stage of recovery.  I have another question if you would all be so kind to answer.  How long does your tummy stay numb?  I decided to try on my favorite jeans just to see where I was at, and I couldn't feel them across my tummy.  The only way I could tell if they weren't too tight was to feel the waistband and see if there was room to stick my fingers in.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2014

Goldie - I still have some numb parts and it has been 17 months.  Patience grasshopper - it has only been 3 weeks for you.  Your body has a lot of healing and adjusting to do.  Standing up straight will happen, too.

• lbrewer
    lbrewer Member Posts: 96
    edited May 2014

I'm having trouble moving on. My flaps came out fine but I'm sore from the lipo.  Dealing with stress of MIL death.  I seem to cry all the time. Any ideas on how one goes about finding a good therapist?

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited May 2014

lbrewer ask your PCP or a friend. But please give yourself time to heal and recuperate. 

• FierceBluebird
    edited May 2014

yoga would be great except i am still recovering from pneumonia and should probably see a physical therapist  to evaluate my range of motion first. Whats the name of the yoga place?

Bailey, i missed your post. So sorry to hear of your dads trouble. Taking care of kids and parents is certainly overwhelming for anyone. What a wonderful daughter to go with them to mexico!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited May 2014

Whew.  I just got back from a 2-day conference in San Diego, and it took me almost 5 hours to drive 165 miles home this afternoon.  Pass me the cabernet, please.

Bailey, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers a lot these days.  I hope your dad and his doc get things sorted soon.  

I see the PS tomorrow morning for my pre-op visit.  Surgery is next Wednesday--fipple day!

I missed you guys...

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited May 2014

Ah, Sbel....San Diego, Cabernet, fipples! I'm right with you. My parents move to SD tomorrow, I like Cabernet and I get nipple tattoos next Friday! 

Bailey, so sorry about your dad, after all he has been through. God will give you the strength you need. Where in Mexico? I surely hope your hotel or the doctor himself (!) will pick you up at the airport. Mexico can be a dangerous place. I hope doc can fix him right up and you're back home in no time.

This is my last week of membership at the Y through Livestrong. I worked out in the pool with my friend, Ree. She is 70, has an incurable form of lymphoma as well as some sort of chronic bacterial meningitis and I can barely keep up with her!! She makes me laugh which is something so valuable to me right now. She even offered to have us move in with her! Her husband drowned a year ago so she needs company. I met her through Livestrong. When we were done, I met with the membership gal and she gave me 3 free months of membership and offered me a receptionist job! Unfortunately, the shift is from 4:30-9 AM and there is no way I can get myself together right now, especially that early. I know myself. Of course, if DH gets that job tomorrow, I can pay for membership.

I love you guys. Your support means the world to me.

• sbelizabeth
    edited May 2014

Ah, Jeannie, I'll be knitting my brows in prayer for you and your hubs tomorrow.  Things will get sorted.  I just know it.  Blessings...

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

for all who are in need of some "better times".......

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2014

It's a lot of pink, but DH and I are doing Race for the Cure on Sunday. This (huge) pic is shortly after my BMX 2 years ago. The harder part of treatment, for me, was still in front of me. When I say "doing," I mean walking the 5K. DH has raised money for it. I'll be thinking of you all during the Survivor's Parade!

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited May 2014

I miss you guys......Bawling

Bailey, you and your brave dad and mom are in my thoughts constantly.......my pocket is getting crowded.....I will have to ask FBB and Jeannie to move a bit to make room for you.......Winking

I am scurrying around like a chicken with its head cut off.....leaving for L.A. at the buttcrack of Dawn, Saturday morning.....to visit eldest DD.....who just booked the lead role in an independent film......so who knows how much I will actually get to see her????  However, I am planning on meeting Sbe and DH for dinner Sunday night at the same Salsa and Beer we met at last time......5"ish" sound okay?  I think DH will be coming along for the ride down, and if so, he will join us.......maybe even Erin and Carson.....This time Dinner is on us!

Marty, DD Erin plays the wife of the Police Chief in "Reckless".......I think she is in Ep. 3.......

Did I mention that I am getting Hospice involved with my Mom?  Her Dr. thinks it is time........ >sigh<

Love to all of you dear, dear women!

• GwennyMD
    GwennyMD Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2014

Jeanne - I remember a few years ago when my DD was unemployed for several months.  She started getting depressed.  I told her that God has a reason for everything and the right job would come at the right time.  Since she was unemployed she was the one who drove to Baltimore once or twice a week to take my mom to MO appts and radiation prep appts so that my sisters and I would not have to take time off work.  When she finally got the job with a government agency she found out that she had been selected two months earlier but the paperwork had been misplaced.  I believe that the paperwork had been misplaced because my mom needed her during that time.  Maybe DH was supposed to be home with you during this trying time. My prayers are with you both.

Liefie - Glad you made it back home safe and sound.

Bailey - so sorry to hear of your Dad's setback.  Please take care of yourself.  You are both in my prayers.

Nihahi - I am not a nature girl and will never go hiking, skiing, etc.  Your pictures are not only beautiful but they are also calming.  Do not stop.

Bosom - I also stopped wearing wig last weekend.  I would previously take it off around family and friends but rarely went in public without my "hair".  I have several weekend wigs but I always wore a long black wig to work that was identical to what I called my real hair.I was apprehensive about going to work with my new short hair because most of my coworkers do not know about the BC.  I work in large division in an enormous government agency. A lot of them are younger than my DD.  I was not in the mood to share my medical history with people I am not close to so I only told my close friends and my managers.  They were all very supportive and respected my privacy.  During the last few months another women in the division has been walking around with her thinning then shiny bald head without wigs, hats or scarves.  I looked at her and realized that I needed to stop thinking about the hair I used to have.  It may or may not come back as it was before but I have to accept who I am now.  We are not the same and will never be the same.  Hopefully we are stronger and wiser.  

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

sbe....hope your appt. today goes great......that finish line is getting closer and closer!!!!!

movie.....hugs, just giant hugs, humongous hugs, big as the universe hugs. I am so envious of your 2ND MEETUP WITH SBE!!!!!

jeannie....your pic is just barely big enough to show that beautiful smile of yours. Good luck to hubby today. Everything is crossed.

mountain playtime again today... Gotta find the bear spray though....it's definitely THAT time of year.

• FierceBluebird
    edited May 2014

Yikes, I'm really afraid of bears!  My cousin does wolf research and when we visit Yellowstone, I'm so nervous about bears on the hikes. You know how to tell the difference between grizzly bears and black bears don't you?

At the National parks they advise visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they
    make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming
    from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up
    on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
    Visitors should also
    carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying
    the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it
    will run away.
    It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh
    bear poop so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should
    be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear
    scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries,
    leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to
    contain small bells and smell of pepper spray. 

Winking  LOL!  

Have a great weekend everyone!

• sbelizabeth
    edited May 2014

FBB...ha ha ha ha...

My pre-op took a freakin' three hours.  By the time I got the consent signed, labs drawn, EKG g'd, pre-op nurse talked to, I was mondo late for work.  Sigh.

My surgery is next Wednesday at 1300 (that's 1:00 P.M.).  The pre-op nurse said, "nothing after midnight," and I said "wait a minute..."  She rolled her eyes and said, "I know, I know."  I intend to follow the guidelines of the American Association of Anesthesiologists and keep drinking clear liquids up to 6 or 7 hours before surgery.  And then lie.

Jeannie, it's Friday...praying...

Movie, date night Sunday!

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2014

Okay, guys, DH's interviews went great! He just got a call at home asking for some more references. It looks really, really good. He was told everyone he talked to gave a thumbs up. They will check more references and let him know T or Wed. We have learned not to count chickens.... He has to be sitting at a desk to feel confident but he is feeling good about it! Keep the prayers coming, please!

Have a glorious weekend!

• nihahi
    edited May 2014

omg..jeannie...that sounds soooo promising!!!! I'm going to find something else to "cross", cuz I'm already crossed up like crazy woman for you guys!