Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited June 2014

Party well tonight.....and tomorrow.....and the weekend.....have a good cry to let out the stress of all these months....spread the word to family and friends....just CELEBRATE. Hugs, jeannie.....great big hugs.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited June 2014

Thanks, good advice. I feel thankful but numb. Of course, the numbness will come in handy tomorrow for tats!

• nihahi
    edited June 2014

Good point, jeannie.....it'll maybe take some time to feel "safe"...BUT....you guys have gotten through another huge pothole of life. I'm thinking it's going to be smooth pavement for a good long while now!

I'm off to bed.....have happy dreams tonight, dear jeannie.

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited June 2014

Jeannie, that's such wonderful news! I have tears of joy for you in my eyes right now! xxx

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014

Thanks so much, Lahela! I can breathe deeply again.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited June 2014

Jeannie, I would text you, but it's too late....crying tears of joy for you and Tom.......you two SO deserve some good news!   So very happy for you! Have fun getting tatted.....I still haven't even tried to book.....

DD is out having dinner with the 6 other 30-something's in the movie.......curious how they all got on......good chemistry amongst all of them would make for a good movie......hope so, for her sake! 

I return home Sunday night....am driving up to Mammoth(where they are filming) and then over the Tioga Pass into Yosemite.....if I have to drive, I'm gonna make it interesting! Nerdy

Zen-I will check out your photos, but have no doubt they are wonderful, when I get back to Portland......

Nihahi, wish I could bottle some of Sbe's lovely SoCal sunshine and warmth and send it to you!  Poor thing.....

Liefie, you take care of yourself, you naughty girl!  You have too much upcoming to be laid up for too long.....(((hugs))))

To everyone, I send SoCal Movie (((hugs)))

XO

• GwennyMD
    GwennyMD Member Posts: 68
    edited June 2014

Jeanne

This is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fantastic.  Now that I can uncross my fingers and toes I will probably have a glass of wine with dinner tomorrow to celebrate.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited June 2014

Jeannie,  Yaaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!  So, so very happy for you. Thinking of you today with warm thoughts as you finish things off with your tats. You have so much to celebrate, and we are celebrating right along with you!!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited June 2014

Jeannie! This news is thrilling!

I am so so happy for you, and Tom, and your family. This is a great day - and such a fantastic new chapter of your life. A new job for your lovely hubby, and the finishing touches on your new, improved, gorgeously healthy new boobs. I can hear you exhaling all the way from Canada. This weekend I hope to hear you celebrating. 

I'm sending you a high five and a hug, and a big hug for Tom too. The positivity that you two share is really wonderful and as a couple you resonate faith and strength. 

I read your post at three this morning - and when I went back to sleep - it was as though I'd just read the best bedtime story, ever. Have a fabulous day my dear friend.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited June 2014

{{{{{Jeannie}}}}}  That is awesome news!!!!  Congratulations Tom!

Good luck with tats too!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited June 2014

Oh, Jeannie, hugs, high-fives, dancing about with hands in the air!  Such great news!  Thanks for sharing with us, we are all thrilled for you and Tom.

Post-op day two, and all is well.  The grand unveiling is tomorrow and I can't wait to see the new girls and my new fipple.  The surgery on the boobs doesn't hurt much, which makes sense--they were already numb!--but the work on the abdomen is a bit zingy.  And for the first time, I have to wear one of those hated binders.  This thing is just awful.  It's hot, it itches, it's got blood smeared on it, and I have to wear I until next week, when I graduate to some other medieval garment.  But I am an AFTER THE FLAP GIRL, and I will bear it bravely and uncomplainingly.  Especially with a percoset on board.

Blue skies, everyone!  Can't wait until September!

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2014

Jeannie, I am so happy and thankful for the good news of Tom's new job!  I'm sure the relief is such a welcome feeling.  Hope all is going/went well with the tats. 

My nipples are two weeks old and still intact.  Can't say the same for the right areola.  It's not looking so good.  My PS's nurse said nothing can be done but the tattoo will hide the skin imperfection.  Just want to keep the nips alive and well.  Not sure when the tattoos will be scheduled.

Is everyone booking their flights or are you waiting for better deals?  I don't think I fall into the hugger category, except for my grand kids.  However, I am looking forward to the hug fest in September.  I love hugs, they just don't come very naturally to me.

Zenful, I need to get over to the picture site.  I'm anxious to see your results.  I haven't done it yet, but I will post mine someday.  I want ladies to know you can love them even if they aren't perfect.  Neither was the original equipment.

Jeannie, I just want to say congratulations again!  Have a good Friday everyone.  Lots of love. ...Julie

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2014

Oh Jeannie, you just made my day! Just came on here, and saw THE GOOD NEWS! I am truly so happy for you and Tom - what a huge relief it must be for you guys! And you bore it so stoically, and with such faith . . . you two are truly an example to the rest of us. Big hugs to you both! DH also says hi to Tom, and congrats - wow!

Beginning to feel a little better, and moving better too. Will attempt to cook for tonight seeing that I can now stand up - lol.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited June 2014

Happy Dance for Jeannie.  New job, new boobs.  Time for fresh starts all around.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited June 2014

Cindy,  it must be hard to face your fears like that, but those things make us stronger.  I'm sure you are much better support than you even know.  At some level, I'm sure you feel and sympathize with what they are going through, it's just so darn hard to put ourselves in their shoes!  Well, you don't have to walk in their shoes, just understanding what it might feel like is enough.  I will pray for strength to get you through those tough days.  Send them loving thoughts straight from your heart and they will feel it.  ((Hugs))

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014

You guys are so sweet! Your love, encouragement, praise, prayers, words have seen me through some difficult days. I can't imagine having gone through everything without you! Thanks to each and every one of you who has encouraged me.

Sbel, you sound great. Let the healing continue at warp speed!

Cindy, I am sure that you are helping those dear ladies. I just want to say, though, that you also need to take care of yourself. Cancer is a big deal and takes time to process on our own, let alone having to be reminded of it by the patients you see. You are not that far out from your dx. Just keep doing your self-evaluating and if you even suspect talking with a therapist or somehow backing off seeing those patients would help, do it! Take it from me, the fall can be hard and if it can be prevented, it's worth it!

Liefie, glad you are up and around a little. No five-course meal preps for you!

Julie, I hope you will be satisfied with your nips in time. I hope they continue to heal well.

Nip tattoos were easy. I globbed on the Lidocaine cream an hour before, Saran wrapped the boobies and off I went. The PA, whom I love, and I talked about color and she tried a few on me until we settled on one. They will fade a lot and I may need a touch up in 3 months but she hopes not. She applied it 4 times instead of the usual two, so I'm pretty scratched up, a bloody mess, contained, though, with bandages and Tegaderm. No pain whatsoever!!

Tonight we will enjoy a Mexican feast, our favorite, with friends. I will make a toast to all of you --- wish you were here!

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited June 2014
    Path report shows that the skin lesion on my right breast (the fbc side) is not tumorous!!!

great news on hubs job, Jeannie. zen, you look much better than the "chart lady"

liefie, I am right there with you, got a sore ankle and bombed knee. I guess playing tennis with a bad ankle is not recommended.
    have a great weekend everyone!
  • Jeannie57
    edited June 2014

Yay, Morningsun! So, so happy for you! But not so happy you have injuries. At least you have the French Open to watch?

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited June 2014

you are still up, Jeannie! I should change my screen name to "night-owl." Our mother hen will shake her head, hehehehehehe. Nite, nite!

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014

Well, it's only 10:15 here in Seattle......

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited June 2014

Oh Jeannie, what wonderful news!!!  I know you and your DH are so happy and excited.  You two have shown such grace under pressure this last year.  You deserve some peace and security.  I hope it all goes smoothly from here on out. 

• Curlylocks
    Curlylocks Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2014

Hi Ladies,

I will be back...drive by for now...SO EXCITED....I am meeting HRF today!!!!!  In a few hours for lunch with a bunch of other Canadian bc survivors.

Michele

• sbelizabeth
    edited June 2014

Morningsun, great news!  And Jeannie, still thrilled for you and Tom!  Happy dance!  (Actually, my happy dance is also a way to surreptitiously scratch under this d**mned binder).

So I have a wedding to attend tonight and am a complete loss as to what to wear.  The recovery room nurses kindly let me wear home my hospital gown, which has a lovely, convenient pocket in the front for stashing the grenade-drain.   But I'm thinking it's not the thing for a wedding. 

A festive black trash bag with armholes cut out? 

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2014

Morningsun, that is great news.  Breathing a sigh of relief with you.  sbe, what all did you have done that you have a drain?  Jeannie, I'm still smiling from your good news.  Have a great Sunday ladies!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited June 2014

I wasn't near internet for a couple of day and got right up this morning as I was thinking about Jeannie. What thrilling news for you and Tom. You must be on cloud nine. What a relief. So so so happy for you guys.

I am shy, but definitely a hugger. How exciting for all of us and what we have to look forward to. 

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited June 2014

Morningsun- CELEBRATION! This is great news. 

All this good news is a great way to start the day!!!! Thanks Jeannie and Morningson. 

• nihahi
    edited June 2014

good grief....having techno glitches with bco lately.

before everything goes "south" again....morningsun.....wonderful news. Glad to hear of the "negative" report....what does your doc think it is, and what did he suggest you do to resolve it? Doing the happy dance, but don't dare leave the thread to post the cartoon....that has meant "shutdown" for me lately.

sbe...hope you had a good time at the wedding, binder not withstanding. Sounds like you had lots done.....quite the anniversary present from your PS.

better end here before something shuts me down again..

hugs to all.  Jeannie.....hope hubby has a fabulous first day of work tomorrow.

• sbelizabeth
    edited June 2014

I found a dress for the wedding.  It was quite the production.

My DH found his oldest, most worn-out "wife beater" tee and I put that on.  Then he helped me cinch myself into the binder.  A small fanny pack held the grenade-drain, and then came the dress.  It had a relatively high square neck, so DH got the scissors and tailored the wife beater so nothing showed.  The dress had a loose, wide skirt that hid the drain pack.  Problem solved.  Nice wedding, too!

My current complaint is that I seem to have developed dermatitis under the binder.  It looks like poison oak and itches like stink.  I'm taking Benadryl and it helps, but six weeks of this seems like madness.  And catch this...when we cut the dressings off the girls, there's a staple in my side!  No incisions or anything close by, just a lonely little staple sticking in there.  DH tried to pull it out, but no go...PS must tackle it, as well as explain its presence, tomorrow.

The new girls are amazing.  I almost cried when we took the dressings off.  Beautiful.  A bit Frankenboobish, yes... but perky, youthful, and mine

Jeannie, hugs and happy wishes for DH's first day on the job tomorrow.  Bailey, how's your daddy doing? 

• nihahi
    edited June 2014

sbe....so so so happy for you, that the new girls have put a smile on your gorgeous mug! You've waited a looooooong time for that emotion to show up! I will tell you.....you're account of getting dressed for the wedding made me think of "Gone with the Wind", when you mentioned hubby "cinching up" the binder. The dermatitis sounds very uncomfortable.....can you use something zinc based (try a dab of aubrey's diaper creme maybe)? The staple is just weird.....but, I think jeannie mentioned something once about them stapling towels to her shoulders during surgery. Maybe it's something like that?

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014

Hi, this is my one and only post for a few days because we are on a GETAWAY! I wanted to let you all know that Tom probably starts his new job on the 16th, date not confirmed yet.

Sbel, I SO sympathize. That binding garment was the worst! I got a rash as well but mostly in my groin area because it was pulled up too tight in the OR. I wore it for two weeks like that because I had to wear it 24 hours a day, which was dumb, and I didn't realize what was happening. The garment was bloody and smelly like a meat locker and no amount of eventual soaking with various things got it out. I should have kept it to burn in Sept. but I couldn't stand the sight if it. And yes, I had punctures on my upper arms that looked like staple marks. What we go through....but I am done! I am just waiting for my tats to fade to a more human color. I must say it will take awhile to get used to the big size, but she had to cover the round scar/skin. Of course, I am still bandaged up for a couple of weeks.

Excuse me now while I watch the sunset over the bay......