Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited June 2014

it is very difficult to keep up with you girls!

Jeannie... I'm so happy you DH got a job.

Bossom... My nip hasn't shriveled.  It is just a little lower than my righty.  I'm trying to decide if I can live with it or not.   Can they move a nipple?   I might have to share again to get your opinion😊.  

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited June 2014

@nihahi, my latest rash/leision was on my right breast skin next to the incision. It started out being a dime sized pink-red area and the top layer would dry up and peel off and becomes a pink-red area again. The cycle of pink-red to peel off lasts about 4 to 5 days and it repeats. When ps did the biopsy (b9, happy dance), the cycle had been going on for about 6 weeks and size of the area had become larger. Another larger area near it also become rash like. In those 6 weeks, I've tried all kinds of lotions/creams including Triamcinolone Acetonide that I was given for a previous episode of rash. Nothing worked. Now, after the punch biopsy and using a different cream, it has stayed brownish longer (not peeling) and the tissue under it does not seem to be pink-red any more. I am not sure if it has run its course or the new cream worked, or a combination of both. I do have two other smaller spots (both near an incision) that act similar to that. I am going to a dermatologist next week, will let you know what she says.
    I will get my ticket soon and will try to arrive as close to Julie's time on the 19th as possible. 99 days to w3.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited June 2014

Thanks morningsun....sounds like you have really had a struggle! I haven't had peeling, just the rash, that comes and goes. I'll be looking for your message post derm appt. I'm trying to keep track of what I've done, what I've worn, etc....to see if there is any "pattern" to mine. 

sbe....that cream for bcc can lead to some painful spots as time goes on. Hope hubby tolerates it well. 

bosum...movie named the recon nipples to be "fipples".....idk.....I'm pretty comfortable calling mine a nipple, and my flap a breast at this point. I think it's a "time-acceptance-moving on" thing for me, since it's all "me" again.

movie....hoping that hospice is giving you and mom support and understanding, in every category!!!!!

busy days here.....hugs to all.

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2014

Cherrie, your mermaid story is very good.  Who would ever think that something as horrible as fbc could bring about such good and lasting friendships.  It certainly helps you see the good side of so many people.  Thanks for sharing it!  The ticket I purchased was the first one I saw that was under $400, although not after the trip insurance.  I was afraid that there would be no good flight times if I waited.  I'm voting for a midwest meet-up, too!  Lots of love, Julie

• Morningsun1
    edited June 2014

Beautiful story, Cherrie.

• Morningsun1
    edited June 2014

Yeah, I remember that, movie at her ps's office telling him that we called our flaps "foobs" and her ps asked her what did we call the reconstructed nipples, movie's answer was "fipples!" That was priceless!

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2014

Cherrie, thanks for sharing your story with us. Dr Marga is a godsend to so many women, and you were lucky to have her as your surgeon.

Aging parents . . . something that I had to deal with too. Not always easy to know what the right decision is, and not easy to decide for them, because that is just so weird - they are normally the ones making the decisions, right? In the end we try to do what is best for them although that may not be what they envisioned. It is what it is, and we have to take care of them. My mom was so unhappy when she lost her independence and her driver's license in 2009, and never really got over that. There was no choice in the matter. I feel good knowing that she got the best care that we could afford. Proof of that care and compassion was  clear when the two headnurses of the care facility came all the way to her funeral service, which was held in another town. Those people are angels, of that I m sure.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited June 2014

Drive by here...I read every day....posting is more sporadic (as if you didn't already know that!).    Cherrie, LOVED your story!  I am glad you gathered up your courage to share it with the world.....you NEVER know who it may help......

Love, Love, LOVE you all, and cannot wait for September.....

(also, it doesn't matter to me if your flight is later...you can hang out at my house!)

XO

• liefie
    edited June 2014

This photo was taken on Sunday. Doting uncle, youngest DS with Emily.

• Morningsun1
    edited June 2014

Emily is making her mark (on her uncle's shoulder)!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited June 2014

Aww! Emily is sure a cutie. 

Thanks everyone. Your comments were appreciated. 

Leaving for a wedding tomorrow and won't be "seeing" you for a few days. Stay healthy.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited June 2014

Ooh, is Emily a ginger? She's beautiful, DS is ok, too!

• liefie
    edited June 2014

Jeannie, she sure looks like a ginger in the photo. Will find out on Sunday!

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited June 2014

I noticed something really strange yesterday. After I did my workout (stretches and exercises from PT then 30 minutes on the stationary bike), I went to take a shower and noticed that my noobs were quite red where my bra had been, but also, my belly button scar was really red and there was a big red triangle descending from it right down to my ab scar! DH suggested it could be a circulation thing. I'll ask the PT today, but I wondered if anyone else had experienced anything like it?

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2014

Oh liefie, she is adorable.  I'm so happy you are getting to see her on Sunday.  BTW - the cabinets in the picture are what I want to put in our kitchen.  My DH is working hard on renovating it.  Lahela, I haven't had any similar experience.  Hope all is well with your PS appointment today!  Love to all. ...Julie

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited June 2014

okay, so I call the MO office to see if my brain MRI results are back. Silence while she is looking it up....then she says. "Okay, I need to forewarn you that NPs can't give MRI results over the phone, so I will have the doctor call you". Why the freak wouldn't she have prefaced our conversation with that statement rather than making me think the results are so terrible she can't talk about them?   It's going to be a very long afternoon...

• Morningsun1
    edited June 2014

(((((zen)))))

• Zenful
    edited June 2014

All is well. In fact I was told "the MRI Doesn't show anything". Geez, I was at least hoping for a little gray matter!  I gave them an earful about how to approach a patient's call that is reading every nuance of what is said on the phone.  

Bosom, I had the MRI because I consistently smell smoke., which apparently can be a sign of a brain tumor. I can live with unexplainable!

• nihahi
    edited June 2014

Glad to hear it's good news, zen.....I did chuckle at your "little gray matter" comment! I totally agree with the need for some serious sensitivity training for some health personnel. As for the "smoke awareness".....I'd chalk it up to your daily meditation putting you on a highly level of enlightenment. (((X))).

Bosum, sorry your appt. didn't give you the guarantee/answers you are so passionately seeking. Have you considered a phone consult with the PS that cherrie and marty have used??? If you feel you now have more "donor" fat, maybe she could help you???

• Zenful
    edited June 2014

Nihahi, at this point, I'm not even seeking any answers. Just delighted to know what it is not.  I have a very long way to go before reaching enlightenment, but I like your brainstorming (no pun intended). 

• nihahi
    edited June 2014

zen.....ThumbsUp

• Zenful
    edited June 2014

Bosom, I hope you are able to get some answers that you are comfortable with.  Have faith, dear.  ((Hugs))

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014

BosomB, sorry for your disappointment! I think Nihahi's suggestion is a good one but you have to do what is right for you.

Zenful, glad you got some good news. It was actually reassuring for me to see my brain on the MRI I got for my eye problem. It was a video! It was weird and wonderful to see my healthy brain. I hope that smoke smell settles down, not fun.

Wow, I really have a roaring case of plantar fasciitis going, maybe something more, too. I can still ride a bike, though! I am so happy with how much stronger I was getting by running in the pool. Another week, hopefully, and the tats will be healed enough to get wet.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited June 2014

Jeannie, I had plantar fasciitis something awful many years ago.  My heel hurt so much I couldn't even rest it on the bed; I had to dangle my foot over the side.  Prescription orthotics fixed it, but there's a boot you can buy online that a friend said cured hers. 

Bosom, sorry you're disappointed.  I bet you come out of all this with a beautiful result, though.  You're so investigative about what's best and what works!

Zen, I think I told you I sometimes smell cigarette smoke for no reason.  It's usually while I'm half asleep and it doesn't happen frequently, but it's sure weird.  It's a smell I really dislike.  And I, too, would raise hell at the MO's office for their "looking up the results but shhh...I can't tell you!" policy.  Why didn't the NP just say, "I'm sorry, I can't help you, the doctor will call"?  My MO's nurse calls as soon as results are available and it's good news.  My MO calls if it's not so good.

Nihahi, just....hi!

It's been almost ten days since the abdominal surgery and I'm noticing effects I didn't expect.  We went for sushi and overdid it (it was happy hour, OK?) and  I was so breathless I wondered if I had a pulmonary embolus.  No PE...just a tight abdomen and no place for an overstuffed tummy to go but up into my diaphragm.  I'm thinking this is like an external stomach stapling.

Dinner's ready.  A half chicken breast, a handful of salad and rice.  Yummm.

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014

Thanks, Sbel. I've had p.f. off and on for years.  I'll have to get my orthotics out again. 😭

• nihahi
    edited June 2014

sbe....been thinking about you. Sounds like you're on a bit of a new "rodeo ride" this time around.....I'm betting it'll be worth it in the end. Hope the binder blues are over quickly. Are you able/allowed to bike ride with that thing on????

jeannie....you know about the ice bottle trick, right??? fill a water bottle/pop bottle with water, freeze it. Then, lay the bottle on its side, put your foot on top, and roll it back and forth for about 15 minutes. It's a great way to "ice" the arch of your foot, to reduce inflammation. Being a veteran of PF, you know about taping it, I bet.

ok ladies...(.especially you, movie)....I'm in need of someone to come up here and come hiking with me. My main hiking friend is heading off for 6 weeks in Europe....sob sob sob........so....who's coming to play with me????

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014

Nihahi, well obviously I'm out!!! I hope you get to get out there.

• nihahi
    edited June 2014

sigh.....Scared

• sbelizabeth
    edited June 2014

Me!  Me!  Nihahi, I'll be there in the morning.  I so wish...  No, the PS said no biking for a couple of weeks.  I'm walking for exercise and sanity, but it's just not the same.

Great tip on icing a foot.  Do you have any magic to prevent nocturnal leg cramps, or cure them at 0330 when you're hobbling about squeaking in agony?  I seem to get them when I've either cycled far and hard, or when I'm cutting back on the calories.  Like now, since I'm fond of breathing.

• sbelizabeth
    edited June 2014

Hey, movie, how's it going?  Have you connected with the hospice people yet?  Thinking about you, GF.