Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited August 2014

Sharon, congratulations and happy dance!  Your pictures are beautiful.  I'm SO looking forward to my own light at the end of the tunnel!

Glad Movie is getting away for some R&rR.  I know it won't be long enough and she'll be back at it too soon.  Wish we could all pitch in and make it easier for her.

We're riding like crazy people lately, and trying to do it in the cool of morning or evening, but a longer ride means it's just going to be hot.  I think you get used to it, though.  Four more "sleeps" until the next revision.  I'm hoping the PS can really dig out the radiation damaged tissue, and get the origami nips on the same horizontal plane.  Then it's hamster tube time!  Movies!  Naps!  Two hours with no computer, cell phone, or pager! 

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited August 2014

Well, friends, I don't want to say this but I have found a lump above my boob. It is on the non-cancerous side that was completely clear at BMX which included SNB on that side. I am hoping it is scar tissue or incidentaloma, but it did just now appear. I see the PS on Tues. for a regularly scheduled checkup on the (almost) final result but will call the MO, too, regrettably. It's a good thing I started therapy a couple weeks ago! 

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited August 2014

Jeannie57 - thinking of you. Keep us posted.

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited August 2014

As I PMd you Jeannie, our prayers and thoughts are in your pocket as you see the doc.  I have a little lump where my drain came out so I too see onc Tuesday but I suspect it is scar tissue, and that is what it is until proven otherwise :)  

Katski hope you see things get better soon, how stressful to have the Dad thing now... too.  All four of our parents are gone and although I miss them I think to have to deal with the things we went through before I had cancer would really be challenging.

Cleaning out my shoes from my closet, I am on a mission to downsize crap in our house now that the kids are both moved out.  Gave a patient a bunch of books that I noticed she had one of the series, knowing that she will enjoy em is fun.  

Teacher is that lump behaving itself on your side?  I am to massage some lumps that are small on my abdominal incision and I just need to keep diligent at it.  

Hope all the newbies who are soon to have surgery do great!

Cindy

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited August 2014

Been AWOL all week due to computer issues. Did a quick scan to catch up. As always your babies and dogs are all lovely in their own ways :)

So the switch from Femara to  Arimidex....jury is still out.....the hot flashes have definitely decreased,.so that's a plus. The numbness and tingling has increased. The pain decreased for the first week or so and is now returning......it's duller, but more constant. So yeah, my love/ hate relationship continues. 

Bosom glad you are up and running and moving forward! 

I can hardly wait to meet everyone! I've been hiking 3-4 days a week on my ankle (um, obviously lol) and it is feeling better. 

My parents are doing all right. Mom is great. Getting her diabetes medication lowered has been so good for her. Dad is walking every day, still in a lot of pain. I was at their house this morning filming him and he tried to show me how he could maintain his balance and lift his arms....but he usually does it in front of the sink so he can catch himself, today he was in the wide open. He started falling forward and calling for my mom. She was closer than I was so she stepped in and slowed him down but there is no way she could ever hold him up.....so then they were both going down and I flew across the kitchen and got my arms around him and uprighted him. This all happened in seconds and all at once. It scared the wits out of all three of us. 

Jeannie....hugs, all day and night.....we've got your hand, friend. Waiting sucks, fearing the worst sucks.....but you are never, ever alone.....praying for incidentaloma.

Love to all!

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2014

Jeannie.....you are in my prayers and hoping it is only pesky scar tissue!

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited August 2014

(((((Hugs)))))  Dad had ultrasound on Saturday and sees the doctor on Wednesday.  

I have a Breast MRI and Lumbar MRI scheduled on Sept. 10th in the evening.  Sometimes things just move slower than a jar of molasses!!  lol

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited August 2014

Bailey, that gives new meaning to "being there" for your parents. What a blessing you were close enough to sprint to them. 

Jeannie, praying for an incidentaloma.  We will be waiting with you. Try not to let your mind wander.   Hugs. 

• Teacher64
    edited September 2014

enjoyevrymoment - I truly expected more than I should have from stage 2. The bulge and pain in my side is still bothersome at nearly 5 weeks. Time for serious questions on what to do when I see PS Thursday. It's wearing me down.

• enjoyevrymoment
    edited September 2014

Oh Teach, sorry to hear. My stage 2 was nipples only and I can't imagine how it would be to feel like things are not right.  You are a very upbeat person but anyone would be getting worn down with this.   I say ENOUGH already to all these things, we had cancer, we have had it removed and now we are ready to get moving on just like the thread name says!  Tell PS a whole lot of people care about you and are wishing him great success as he fixes this.  Grrr.  ;)

• The1toC
    The1toC Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2014

Jeannie (((((HUGS))))))thinking of you and sending you peace and patience for your appts and waiting for info.

Teacher sorry to hear you are going through some disappointment and bothersome bulge...you have certainly put great effort into getting it all right with physio and other treatment. Really hope iits something simple to resolve. 

Wonder why seems so few of us are as elated with stage 2 as with stage 1. I don't believe it is from too much or exceptional expectations and I don't think that the surgeons do a poor job....and I don't want to believe that it is some post op funk like the common 3 week post stage 1....Anyone know the answer?

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited September 2014

BB, I'm really looking forward to hearing how it all goes for you!

Jeannie, sending you all my hugs and best wishes for incidentaloma. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

• bailey6760
    edited September 2014

Good Monday morning, friends! It's Labor Day in the states so we have the day off! The boys are both here so I'm a happy momma! 

It is likely going to rain but maybe we'll just watch movies and play  Monopoly all day :) We'll see!

Love to all, enjoy your day.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited September 2014

well jeannie.....el crappo news from you. BUT.....you know the drill....try not to "go there" until you know that's where you are. Of course, we're all in your pockets. So put on the suspenders to hold your pants up, and know you're not alone. With all you have gone through....glad to hear about the therapy. Hope you've found someone you connect with.

bailey...enjoy the boys. Sunny here....hubby and I are heading out for the day.

sbe...hoping you get good an dusty on your bike today!!!!!

lahela...so good to hear from you. How's life on the "finished" side?!

1 to C....can't say as I fit into the non-elated after Stage 2 group. I thought I was happy after stage 1....stage 2 made me see how much better things could be. I think with any surgery, there is an "energy cost", maybe that feels like "disappointment" for some??? We all approach recon with different emotions, expectations, information and bodies too.

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited September 2014

Jeannie, saying a prayer for an incidentaloma too.  I was having another Sunday until I read your post Bailey and realized it really is Monday.  All our kids and grand kids were here for most of the weekend.  It was wonderful to have them here and to wave good bye as they all return home.  Liefie I don't know how you handled all that company for a long time like that!  Nihahi I hope you are having some warm weather to go with the blue skies.  Have a good Monday everyone...

• sbelizabeth
    edited September 2014

Jeannie, dear heart, we are all in your pocket.  I had a lump appear above my non-cancer, prophylactic DIEP side, and my MO was a bit concerned about it, but my PS was certain it was fat necrosis, and it was.  I'm so sorry you're going through this.  When your thoughts wander into the "don't go there" zone, think "DELETE, DELETE, DELETE." 

Bailey, you're literally such a tower of support for your parents!  What a blessing you are!

Teacher, I've had several "stage II" surgeries after my original DIEP.  Because of my radiation damage and other issues, it's taken a few nips and tucks and digging out's.  I'm trying to be patient, but I want it all DONE and DUSTED by the end of the year. 

And speaking of that...I have an appt with a gastroenterologist tomorrow morning; my MO said I needed a colonoscopy and that's something else that I'll get done before the end of the year "out of pocket maximum" deadline!  Maybe I can talk them into taking my appendix out...piercing my nose...scrubbing my eyeballs...

Just got back from an early morning ride in the cool and shady.  Movie, I bumped up my cable package so I could get "Outlander," and now I'm hooked.  I intend to spend the rest of my holiday with Claire and Jamie.  Yummm.....

• bailey6760
    edited September 2014

Rains held off and we got a three mile hike in on a new trail.....so fun to check out new scenery!!!

I was disappointed in stage I and had to live with it for several months .....stage II was a huge success, relief, blessing....I still have more to go, but am putting it off. Too much other stuff on the table right now. It'll get done....maybe yet this year.

• Teacher64
    edited September 2014

sbelizabeth - I have to have a colonoscopy and believe it or not am getting the eyes "scrubbed," well cataracts removed anyway. Next year is co-pays only!

I had in my brain that stage 2 was it until tattoos and I hadn't thought of it as 2a, but now I don't know. I have another ultrasound treatment this week and plan to ask how to make the hard bulge better. I read on line that some women use a rolling pin to lessen the scar tissue from lipo. I haven't used the rolling pin since Christmas and would rather make cookies or a pie. Maybe this is just the DIEP version of rolling with the punches.Smile

• The1toC
    edited September 2014

Jeannie (((((HUGS))))))thinking of you and sending you peace and patience for your appts and waiting for info.

Teacher sorry to hear you are going through some disappointment and bothersome bulge...you have certainly put great effort into getting it all right with physio and other treatment. Really hope iits something simple to resolve. 

Wonder why seems so few of us are as elated with stage 2 as with stage 1. I don't believe it is from too much or exceptional expectations and I don't think that the surgeons do a poor job....and I don't want to believe that it is some post op funk like the common 3 week post stage 1....Anyone know the answer?

• The1toC
    edited September 2014

sorrry for the repost. Not even sure how that happened.

Between the first and repost I got to read some positive stage 2 comments..thanks. not sure if I had some selectivity going on for the past few pages and just noticing the not so pleased comments or what but am very happy to hear ladies so happy with it all!

• enjoyevrymoment
    edited September 2014

Honesty is how we roll here and there are just parts of this that we can't predict and furthermore can't predict our responses.  If you are reading this be assured that many people do well with both stage 1 and 2 but they don't always post here.  If you have troubles though, it is so great that we can say what is going on-- we are trying to help each other so say it like it is.  

When I was first diagnosed I couldn't read too much here, I wasn't ready to absorb it and was still sorting through which direction to take.  There are about a zillion variables that contribute to how we get cancer and how we heal and who gets what in follow up, all we can do is our best and as others have said before me "show up", try not to dwell on the parts that are hard whenever we can, and trust that we are in good hands.  

How I always thought I would be with any hard spots in my life is not always how I respond.  Like I tell my friends, you don't really get it unless you have it, and some days I don't even "get" myself.  

All I can say is I have never met a more determined and (sp?) interminably-spirited group of women and I am honored to be a part of this discussion board.  Take heart ladies, the end of the story is written only when it is written, and until then, let's find something to rejoice in each day even though some days it is harder to dig for than others.  Hugs.  

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited September 2014

1toC, I am absolutely thrilled with my stage 2! I had a 2a which was crop circle scar revision, then 2b which was ab scar revision (just over the hips) and skin graft nips and I couldn't be happier! I love my new boobs and I keep peeking at my nips! LOL! I won't even need tattoos because the grafts are so damn good  :)

I'm doing the "delete, delete, delete" thing again. I've had a really bad back (C8-T3) for the past couple of months which hasn't responded to treatment at all, so the PT sent me to my PCP who has ordered an MRI for tomorrow. Hopefully it's just a crappy spine. Wouldn't they have seen anything nasty on the chest CT last month? I really don't know how these things work in real life - I'm not sure that Dr House is the most realistic representation  ;)

• Jeannie57
    edited September 2014

Lahela, welcome to the lifeboat! Thinking of you.

Every moment, wise words, thank you. I'm trying hard to find joy in this moment. We don't know what the future holds so we might as well find something positive right now. I see my PS in two hours and my Onc. tomorrow to find out what this lump in my chest is all about. Thanks to all for your kind, supportive words.

• Jeannie57
    edited September 2014

Woohoo! Never thought I'd be so happy to have fat necrosis! PS is very sure that is what the lump is but I had him do biopsies just in case, results next week. Thanks for your support, as always. Hugs all around.

• Zenful
    edited September 2014

Great news Jeannie! Positive energy and love to you and Lahela while you await your results. 

• Teacher64
    edited September 2014

Had a blue day so I had sewing therapy for a friend's little boy. Tomorrow I'm having lunch with  DIEP friend. She's having her stage 2 next week when I have my first cataract surgery. I'm wondering if stage one is DIEP, then stage 2 is DIEPer and tats are DIEPest?

• Jeannie57
    edited September 2014

Aww, Teacher, so cute. I guess I am in the DIEPiest. I have tattoo touch ups and an in-office procedure to fix some tummy spots left to go. I may wait until January since we have new insurance. How many deductibles do I want to pay???  I understand your blue-ness. I'm glad your sewing gives you pleasure.

Thanks, Zenful!

• sbelizabeth
    edited September 2014

Jeannie, what WONDERFUL news!  Yay for fat necrosis! 

And beautiful work, as always, Teacher.

Pre-op appt with PS this afternoon.  I signed the consent and noticed he'd written "revision abdominal scar."  I thought, huh, what's that, because I was OK with the abdomen (as lumpy and uneven as it sorta is).  So I asked him.  He bent over and appeared to be staring at...my crotch...and said, "I'm just not happy with that."  Hahahaha....

• Teacher64
    edited September 2014

sbelizabeth - I had a little lift of mons. PS said it often happens that a fullness develops that can be taken care of in stage 2

• Zenful
    edited September 2014

Sbel, too funny!  The question is "are you happy with it?"  Lol. Certainly, you must have had a funny reply.  Sounds like your PS is a perfectionist, which is good!  I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. How soon after surgery will you start the hamster tube?