Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Moving On......After the Flap

Options

Comments

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited October 2014
    Options

Nihahi - Exactly! Even though they're somewhat grotesque - I love having them. 

Plus, it give me more symmetry. My right breast is a bit flat, compared to lefty, but now that they have fipples they look more like sisters. Not quite twins - but I'm okay w that.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2014
    Options

Janet, no more Barbie boobs!

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited October 2014
    Options

I echo Jeannie and Marty, sbe, Aubery does have your smile! I heard a rumor that Wilbur's brother was visiting bailey today...Loopy

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2014
    Options

Called my insurance today, if UofP bills as a procedure then the tattoos are covered otherwise not.  Hmmmm I feel like no matter what I will get them but I have to find out if U of P does bill that way or if the tattoo artist bills separately.  Ugh.  

Well it isn't cancer, ya know?

Hope Bailey does great today, and everyone else as well.  Aubery is adorable!  Sigh.  such a little cutie!

Hugs to each of you!

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi ladies!  I have been given the names of two tattoo parlors.  One does 3D, but you can't call for an appt.  You have to email and he dumps all of his email every Monday so you have to email him again.  Tammy posted the name of someone in Florida, but she is about 3 hours away from where we stay.  I'm still not sure what to do.  There must be someone in the greater Indianapolis area that can do a nipple!  I have NO feeling whatsoever.  Oh, the other tattoo parlor never replied either.  I think they are too busy with being great artists and aren't interested in the small stuff.

It has been a month since the Portland Rack Pack adventure.  That means it should only be about 11 months until the next one!  ...Julie

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2014
    Options

jlbloom, I am seeing a cosmetic tattooist. They do eyebrows, etc. What if you called one of them and asked? Even if they don't do it, they may know one who does.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited October 2014
    Options

Janet--I'm wicked allergic to tegaderm.  I always tell them, and they always stick it on me.  By the time I can get home and peel it off (ouch!) I have a rectangle-shape, itchy, red wheal. 

How are the nipple sisters this afternoon???

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited October 2014
    Options

The tattooist was great...she is a BC'er herself. Lots of kindness, understanding, compassion, support and professional demeanor. 

The process was at times not much more than a "deep buzzing" type of feeling, other times it was "peel me off the ceiling". I think the discomfort served to unlock a whole lot of emotions, and a whole lot of tears. I took a few quick glances while she was working, and seeing "colour" where there has been nothing for 23 years was truly overwhelming for me. Obviously, it will take time for things to settle down, and I go back in about 3 months for the second round. But today was an unbelievable milestone.

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited October 2014
    Options

nihahi, I am so, so, so happy for you. xxx

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2014
    Options

Nihahi - so fantastic.  By January you will be completely finished and whole again after way too long.

• Janet_M
    edited October 2014
    Options

Nahahi - Yippee! I'm really happy that it went so well. You deserve it. 

sbelizabeth - The nipple sisters look like two pale pink miniature marshmallows covered in stitches. I really like them. I didn't think it would make much difference to me, but it feel so much better having something there. Plus, my crop circles are a little smaller - my ps explained that they'd be reduced a bit after the 'orgami' and that's a nice bonus too. 

I had to google the word 'wheal' - but that's what had too.

• MartyJ
    edited October 2014
    Options

Yep, Janet, there is something just a bit different about looking down and seeing bumps.  Not important to all of us, but . . . whew!  End in sight.

• Janet_M
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thanks Marty. 'Whew' indeed! 

Also - you know the end is in sight when your beautiful sister shows up with a boob cake. Made almost entirely from rum, I might add.

• nihahi
    edited October 2014
    Options

yum yum yum!!!!

Hope things are going well for you Janet. How are you doing with the "camo" wardrobe?

Marty...I forget ( it happens a lot...) when is your tat date???

• MartyJ
    edited October 2014
    Options

Tats in February.

Love the boob cake!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2014
    Options

I want a boob cake! A sister would be nice, too, though I am grateful for you, plural!

• lahela
    edited October 2014
    Options

OMG, Janet - I haven't laughed so much in ages! Big kisses to your sister!!!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2014
    Options

Janet, love the boob cake!  And I especially like that they appear to be slightly lopsided, like most if us. 

• MartyJ
    edited October 2014
    Options

Today, I volunteered at a Komen event.  I wore a pale green top.  The organizer hung a pink necklace around my neck with anpink ribbon on it.  I explained that I didn't wear pink in October.  Later in the day at another part of the event, I had a whit shirt with a scarf on.  The scarf was corals, yellows ans dome fascia.  She came up to me and said "you look really pretty in that color.  I thought you didn't like pink"  again I said that I don't wear pink in October.  I am a survivor.  She is a survivor, but she didn't get it.  Oh well.  I guess I started this journey before there was a Komen anywhere but Texas.  At least they raised about $15k.  Gotta start wrapping my head around this pink thing a bit more.

• nihahi
    edited October 2014
    Options

Janet....has the rum worn off yet???Loopy

Marty.....I think the mental "readjustment" needs to be on the people like Komen....imho....awareness has been accomplished as much as it's ever going to be. What the fundraising needs to be redirected to is supporting patients undergoing tx, and in finding a cure. Less money should be paying the exec's at Komen....at that is my rant for the day.

• MartyJ
    edited October 2014
    Options

agreed on the exec pay thing.  Same reason we have problems with wounded warriors. Oh well.

• nihahi
    edited October 2014
    Options

jeez Marty....I am very unhappy to hear that is happening with the Wounded Warrior org.....How can some people live with themselves!!!

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi everybody....I decided that it's been way too long since I posted here....so here I am......I DID have a lovely , lovely visit with Sbe.....LOTS of chips and salsa......can't wait to do it again...came home to a terrible mess from a huge windstorm here....limbs down in my front yard, and more in the back......sure do miss DH.......<sob>.....Bawling

Extremely happy to see life is "keepin' on" on this thread....Sending mucho love to all

XO

• lahela
    edited October 2014
    Options

Tons and tons of love to you, Movie! xxx

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2014
    Options

Seeing you again made my heart happy, Movie, but it's still breaking that you're navigating this time in your life without your life partner. Pay some neighborhood kid to clean up your yard!  Love you, girlfriend!

• nihahi
    edited October 2014
    Options

((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Love ya, girl

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited October 2014
    Options

Love rum boobs! 

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2014
    Options

Colonoscopy/endoscopy this morning, all went well.  We were originally opting for just sedation, so when we were ready to kick chocks and ram the tube, the doctor signaled the nurse to inject the sedation.  Two doses of versed and two doses of Demerol later, I was groggy but awake enough the doctor didn't want to stick a tube down my gullet.  So she called in the cavalry--anesthesia--who slammed in the diprivan and it was lights out. 

I don't get it.  I don't drink more than a glass of wine every few days, and I'm certainly not drug-tolerant.  Weird.

Something else weird--this is the first time I'd been to this particular surgi-center, and when they took me to the pre-op area they wouldn't let my DH come with.  "It's a HIPAA violation," the nurse insisted, so I caved.  Now I know why.  It's just an open bay, where every bed is three feet from its neighbor, and everything you say can be heard throughout the room.  I laughed and told the nurse it's also a HIPAA violation for other PATIENTS to hear their neighbors' medical conversations, but she shrugged and said we do the best we can.

I don't believe I'll be back to this particular place in five years, when I need another internal investigation.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2014
    Options

Janet, looooove the rum boobs! Sisters are the best - miss mine who live so far away. Best wishes on the nipple recovery!

Movie, you are in my thoughts always. Listen to Sbel - pay someone to cut up those trees. We will probably have the same problem if Hurricane Ana does what they say she's going to . . . sigh. ((((((((((Movie)))))))))))

Marty, we'll be the Feb. tatters. Getting mine on Feb. 6, and it will be done in two stages. Jeannie, hope the colour works for you this time around.

Sbel, yes, some hospital rules make no sense at all. If it wasn't so annoying it would actually be funny. Hope you are doing okay after the ordeal today. Little Aubrey and her dad are adorable, and she is growing so fast. Time just flies.

Moose newsflash: DH came home with a box this afternoon. A patient had given him several moose ribs, quite a few moose schnitzels, and some halibut. Will have to get creative . . . seems my moose repertoire will have to expand beyond balls now - LOL. 

• Janet_M
    edited October 2014
    Options

Movie - Hey! Nice to hear from you. I think of you often - big heartfelt hugs from up here in Canada.