Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Moving On......After the Flap

Options

Comments

• Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited October 2013
    Options

Nihahi, I chuckled out loud when I read your comment about starting another thread. I think this new thread will do the trick because those of us that came here from the other side all seem want to concentrate on healthy bodies via fitness & weight loss for those of us that need it. My MO says I need to lose the pounds because extra fat cells could feed a recurrence. I am a member of a small church gym that has all the equipment I need - no excuses. Plus I love to walk in my neighborhood & now that the weather is not so hot I have no excuse there. We can do this, fellow flappers!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited October 2013
    Options

bailey....I think it would be a hoot to see you after 4 hours of laughing and wine....I'm a total basket case after 1 glass....by the time I've finished one, I can't feel my teeth!!! Makes me a pretty cheap date!!!! Sounds like Oktober Fest???? What a great Friday night, hanging out having fun with your sister.

sbe....my feet and legs just ache thinking of your "hot mama" stilettos. I wore a pair of heels yesterday (NOT even close to stilettos) for the first time since last New Year's Eve. By the end of the afternoon, my legs were killing me....my normal footwear is runners, or sandals, or hiking shoes, or ski boots! Almost got altitude sickness from the dang shoes!!!!

I loaded the Map my Walk app onto my phone, but can't seen to find a way to measure what I'm walking, it just shows already entered routes by other people. Am I missing something, or does anyone have a better pedometer app....preferably one that doesn't eat your battery life????

• ironmagnolia
    ironmagnolia Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2013
    Options

I love the idea of this new thread for those of us who have the DIEP mostly in their rearview mirrors. I'm now almost two weeks out from stage 2, doing well, and going back to work on tuesday. PS nurse raved about how everything looks great, but I will most likely not get the tats in Dec as planned due to the holidays and resultant skeleton staff in PS office. Was really hoping to get everything finished in this calendar year.

I do feel a little adrift and anxious with only seeing BS and MO every 6 months now, but thankful my BC treatment was not anymore extensive than the BMX DIEP. Now ready to get on with my life without the shadow of BC hanging over me, but finding it hard. Maybe too soon to expect that at this point?

I think this new thread will motivate me, I'm now trying to concentrate on cleaner eating, regular exercise, keeping weight down, and limiting my glasses of wine each week. That last one is a killer, as I really enjoyed my glass of wine every evening.

jeannie-- my son moved to Seattle 16 mo ago, and I visited there for the first time last Nov, it was absolutely breath taking!! Thank you for the pic!

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited October 2013
    Options

happy Saturday ladies! Just popping by real quick for a "hi" and love love this new thread. A group of us on BCO in the local area do an informal lunch every month so I'm off for that. Don't think Mexican food will do well for the fitness regime, so I'll check back later and steal ideas from you ladies on how,to get back on track.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2013
    Options

Saw something interesting on CBC news here last night. In a study it was found that if women walk just leisurely/slowly for one hour a day, they reduce their chances to get bc by 14%,whether they've had it or not. If they walk vigorously for an hour, it goes up to 25%. What an incentive . . . no more excuses. Let's walk!

Dreamed in the early morning hours that I have to write an exam, the same one as my son - lol. The two of us walk to where we have to write it, but I somehow never reach the place, and cannot find it. Also have not studied for this exam at all, know nothing etc. etc. Woke up in a cold sweat - LOL. Have dreamed this so often in my life.

Cherrie, good for you on making a quilt for your grandbaby - enjoy!

Sweetpickle, good for you on the exercise. It will probably not be easy in the beginning, but hang in there. You will feel so much better in no time. I'm always telling myself that it is a marathon, not a sprint, and that I have the rest of my life to do it.

Nihahi and Sbel, stilettos . . . I probably have to start practising to walk in the sandals that I bought for DS' wedding. About 2 and an half inches high, which is very high for me - lol. I am mostly barefoot or in runners.

Okay. Have to start cooking. Good day to everyone!

• Sharon1942
    edited October 2013
    Options

Liefie, you are right - let's walk!! I saw the same thing on CBS news. I'll try to figure out how to put a link to it here. Whether on the treadmill or while enjoying nature's beauty & fresh air!

Ironmagnolia, you are right, too! For those of us who loved our evening glass(es) of wine, that is the killer part. But we have to pay attention to what the studies say about recurrence & alcohol consumption. Maybe Nihahi could start us a thread called BCAA (Breast Cancer Alcohol Avoidance). JUST KIDDING, NIHAHI! 😉

• Sharon1942
    edited October 2013
    Options
  • jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited October 2013
    Options

Okay, ladies. How in the world are you going to read both of these threads?!? I can hardly keep up with one.

Jeannie, the picture is beautiful. I'm still jealous of you having stage II this month. Just kidding. ;-) I can't wait to hear all about it on the other thread.

I'm not the exercising woman that most of you are. I did start Leslie Sansone's 30 day fitness challenge. Thirty minutes a day, six days a week. I can do it on my lunch hour when I'm working. One DVD is 30 minutes of walking and 30 minutes of some easy strength training. You alternate the walking and strength training. I'm hoping to do the strength training again tomorrow. It's amazing that Campbell's soup cans as weights can cause soreness! Katy you should feel all the muscles that can be sore when you've been a couch potato for about eight months.

I'm definitely wanting my butt and thighs to look like they could possible be on the same human as my smaller chest and much flatter stomach. 20 lbs would be good start.

Don't post too much! I will never keep up. ...Julie

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

sharon.....you're killing me!!! Great link re: walking....thanks for posting it.

Believe it or not, jbloom, these aren't the only threads I stay active on.....!

Today hubby and I walked to the library and back.....8.95km.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited October 2013
    Options

Ha! Nihahi...no not Oktoberfest! The Red Flannel Festival!!! No lie. I won't bore you with all the details....but I will say that I did compete for Red Flannel Queen (no lie) (stop laughing...there was a scholarship!!!) in high school. My sister did, too...she was on the Red Flannel Queen Court and got to ride in the parade. Our parents always have an open house that day. Lots of friends and family. It is fun :) I walked about 4 miles today....workout at the gym tomorrow. I started my recovery "dance" with Leslie Sansone and soup cans, Jbloom....She does a good workout....I yell mean things at her when she gets too peppy for me (which isn't a stretch) but I figure it's a workout and aggression release in one :)

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013
    Options

I looked up Fitbit. There is a Fitbit one, a Fitbit Flex and a Fitbit Zip. How do you decide btw so many options?

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

so does this fitbit thingy accurately measure distance??? Would it work for hiking and skiing, etc.???? Sounds interesting.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2013
    Options

nihahi, did you load Map My Tracks? I didn't have any trouble getting it to work and I am tech-challenged. It measures, distance, elevation, speed, elevation change, etc. and you can switch it for different activities. It uses GPS.

Julie, I wish we could have stage II on the same day again!

I caught a fishy today! A 12" rainbow trout. Don't worry, I didn't even get to touch it because it's catch and release and we want it to live. The experience was a hoot, fun ladies, great guides, gourmet lunch, gorgeous weather. There's a scrapbooking thing that I will miss and then a dinner at a nice restaurant towards the end of the month. The cost of the entire casting call experience is $500, all free. What a blessing. They gave us disposable cameras for pics and then collected them, so no photo to post yet. I didn't dare use my camera on my phone and lose it in the river. The best thing about the experience---I didn't think about breast cancer for a few hours!

I am not posting anything healthy because I just had a huge bacon/avocado burger with lots of fries.....4,000 calories, maybe? A rare indulgence.

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013
    Options

oops, forgot to mention the margarita....two nights in a row, another rare occurrence! I have an article somewhere about a smallish study that showed drinking moderately after bc did not raise your chances of dying from the disease.....I am mostly careful, anyway. Mostly.

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013
    Options

I had wine last night and a margarita tonight if it makes you feel like there is some other devil girl in your boat with you, Jeannie!

I have no desire to get to the end of my life, whenever it is, and feel like I missed out on the enjoyment of the world....a good drink a couple times a month is part of the enjoyment of life for me.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

jeannie...congrats on the fishy!!! I BEG TO DIFFER.....IN THE SPIRIT OF THIS THREAD....YOU DID DO SOMETHING HEALTHY TODAY...YOU HAD FUN AND DIDN'T THINK ABOUT BC FOR SEVERAL HOURS!!!!!! Success sister!!!!!!

fyi....insanity has broken out on the diep thread if you want to stay "silly" for a bit longer!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited October 2013
    Options

Jeannie, what a hoot--a big old party, learning how to fly fish! I went fishing with my dad a lot, but we usually used worms, spinners, and sinkers. When he tried to teach me how to use a fly, I kept catching my flies in the pine trees along the bank of the river. There's a lot of practice involved in good fly fishing.

I love red wine, and I love the ritual my hubs and I have with opening a nice bottle and enjoying it with dinner. I'm with you, Bailey, I don't want to miss out on the pleasures of life. On the other hand, I SO want to do all I can to avoid wrestling with this beast again, so I need to limit my alcohol to a few times a month, instead of a few times a week.

Red Flannel Festival...this California girl is completely flummoxed...

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013
    Options

I love a glass of wine too, but have limited to a couple times a week. All this fishy talk reminds me of my daddy who is gone. We fished off the pier in Ludington, Mi and he was a fly fisherman. I have his old fly rod, but don't know what to do with it. Now, I can't put an innocent worm on a hook or take a hook out of a fish. I am a pansy!

The Fit Bits do steps, calories, and sleep?? I don't think they do distance, but not sure.

Jeannie, how nice to have that experience. Comradre! Peace!

I have been to Red Flannel Days in Cedar Springs.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

Beautiful, beautiful sunrise here this morning....I always think of it as a gift, and a reminder that the world outside is waiting for me. On that note....another day begins. I'm thinking of looking into this fitbit "thang", if I can find out for sure if it measures distances. My hiking, skiing, buddy is a nutcase for knowing how far we've gone each time, and trail records are notoriously whacked now that there has been so much damage after the spring floods. I don't have an IPhone, but I'm thinking I can link it to my PC? My Android phone might work too.....sigh...so much techno stuff...so not my thing! Could the FitBit geniuses advise????

Have great days, ladies....woohoo!

edited to add: hmmmmm.....maybe not...just read a bunch of reviews that weren't so flattering about the accuracy of distances. Oh well....saved myself some $$ I guess. Catch you later!

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2013
    Options

fitbit does do distance as well. I got the fitbit one. I clip it on the waist of my pants and wear it for the day.

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited October 2013
    Options

Jeannie, a lady at my support group went to a fly fishing weekend. I forget what she told me to look up on the internet. I'm not a fisherwoman, but I could try.

My latest Leslie Sansone DVDs have sessions with Leslie talking non-stop, or with music only. After a time or two, I move to music only. She certainly is peppy!

Have a great day ladies. I'm off to get more rubber bands for the rainbow loom. My grand kids are having a great time making rainbow loom jewelry. Love you all! ...Julie

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013
    Options

If you have a smart phone, download Moves for free. Tracks steps, distance, calories, biking for an overall total, not route based. Just slip it in your pocket or purse. Good free daily reminder that logs you no matter what you are doing. Cyclemeter and Endomondo are great for route tracking, steps, heart rate (with strap), etc. Cyclemeter works for walking and running, too. Cyclemeter is $4.99 and way more versitile than Endomondo, unless you do one of their monthly upgrades (more $$). Cyclemeter sends the record of my major activity directly to my calendar so I can quickly check to see if I have been as active as I imagine. I sure do have a good imagination! Now if only my activity can keep up with it.

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013
    Options

Good morning! Rainy and gloomy here, which imho is GOOD. I really need to stay in and manage the "stuff" and the house and laundry and CLEAN today. If it were nice out I would be distracted by the sun and feel pressure to be out there before the snow flies.

DH and I are going to Vegas next weekend with friends. I have never been. Should be interesting. We are supposed to go out to Red Rock Canyon (I can't go on a trip if I don't see natural attractions at some point!). Hope the govt gets their act together and reopens the parks! I can't wait to spend 5 days with my college roommate! Longest we have spent together since college!

So I am sharing a quick lunch idea for when you are sick of salad. We chop lettuce and our favorite veggies up small and fill a low carb tortilla with a big handful, then add a sprinkle or smidge of goat cheese (or any favorite cheese) and a sprinkle of our favorite dressing (mine is balsamic and olive oil) and wrap it up like a tortilla. I usually have it with a Greek yogurt to add protein, but sometimes we will add the leftover grilled protein (fish, chicken, flank steak) from the night before. Yum! And easy and quick for when you are on the run. And my kids will eat just about anything I put in a wrap lol!

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited October 2013
    Options

Great lunch idea Bailey, enjoy Vegas!

Jeannie- I love to go fishing too, its relaxing to me. W are a catch and release family too.

DH and I went to the renaissance fair yeaterday for my irthday which was fun. We had our fortunes told which was a hoot, she said our livex would be boring and stable for at least the next year which I woohooed! I am all about boring and stable after bc...lol

My sil took the kids and MIL for the weekend so we are enjoyi g laying arou d the house for the last couple hoirs before everyone comex home. Happy Sunday ladies!

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

hrf....any idea how accurate it is????? You have no idea how 'anal' this friend is about distance.

marty....how is the "moves" app re: battery consumption?

oops....sorry Sweet....forgot all about your birthday!!!! Glad to hear you had a happy day. Love the fortune teller!!!!!!!

bailey...great lunch tip, thanks!

ok..here's my tip for the day....listen up sbe...I bet this challenges you BIG TIME because of the position of your hands while doing all that bike riding. soooo........

When you're walking around...be conscious of the position of your hands. As you swing your arms, do your hands lead with your knuckles, or your thumbs. When you are standing, with your arms down at your sides, are your fingertips able to brush the side of your leg, or are your palms facing to the rear? HINT>>>>> You should be leading with your thumbs, fingertips brushing the side of your leg. If you are doing the "neanderthal thing"....your shoulders are rotated inward and down. I bet your head is forward of your shoulders too. Sooo....rotate from your shoulders to bring your hands in proper position, and you'll also find your chest opens up, there is less "drag" on your shoulders and likely your head comes up to sit where it should!!!!!!

There...today I have done week 5/day 3 of the C25K workout, some yoga, some pilates....had brekkie...time to go play!!!! Love you ladies!!!!

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

bailey....have a great time on your trip. Who's minding the boys?? I'm the same as you.....do NOT plan a vaca focussed on sitting beside a pool, or stuffing my face! I want to explore, be active and see new things. Awesome vacation destination tip....Sanibel Island in Florida. World famous for "shell collecting" on the beach! Laid back place, you can get anywhere by bicycle! Fabulous place to relax and explore.

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013
    Options

I love looking for shells in Florida and stones on Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. So peaceful!

Question: I am taking a Valium for my MRI on Tuesday. I have never taken this. Will I lose a whole day???? Then I have to wait 3 days for results. We all know what that is like.

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013
    Options

Sherry what is the dosage and frequency? Just one should just relax you. They gave it to me to take at home after DIEP....it was not as sleepy as ativan. BUT we are all different in our reactions. Probably should plan on no heavy machinery tomorrow ;) I had my pet/ct on Thursday, results on Friday....I was impressed. It was ordered by MO/BS and done at LH. I hope you get them back fast, too!

Boys will hang with my parents or sister....some at home. They are old enough and very trustworthy...and they have a "village" of neighbors watching them lol. Our big dog, Moses, is too lame for me to feel comfortable kenneling him or leaving him anywhere except home. The kennel we loved has closed or I might take him there. Anyway it'll be fine.

Speaking of being fine....I am doing ok with the incidentaloma ....worry is not allowed....prayers gladly accepted. :) I choose happy. I choose peace. I choose fearless. I know I am in God's hand.

Have a good day, sisters!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013
    Options

Way to go, Bailey! Great choices! Prayers going up.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013
    Options

Nihahi - Moves says that you should be good for a day with a recharge every night. Since I have moves on all the time and then cyclemeter when going for a specific jaunt, I do use a lot of battery power. I always have a charger in the car and try to plug in while driving. I think the gps can be more draining than moves.

Ah, the Ren Faire. We just went to the one in Maryland - all costumed up. It was fun, but really mostly like a craft show with a 16th century theme. Sweetpickle - glad you enjoyed your birthday.

Cherrie - if you only take one 5 mg valium you shouldn't lose a day. The last time I had to have a breast MRI, they had me take Ativan - 2 mg tabs sublingually. I got home, set my alarm for my afternoon bridge game and took a nap. Apparently it was not a long enough nap as my bridge group found me rather amusing. The game ends in the early afternoon and was on my block. I felt the need to bring a flashlight so I could get home safely. I also remember falling asleep while bidding. I really should have stayed home!