Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Moving On......After the Flap

Options

Comments

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited October 2013
    Options

sbe...just about to turn off the techno and get busy...

I hate wind too.. Haaate it!!!! So of course, I live in a windy part of the planet...hmpf. Are your winds the Santa Anna winds??? Those are the dangerous/wildfire winds aren't they?? Rocks in your pockets when you go outside, girl!!!!

Biking is mostly a forward flexed/anterior workout (muscle wise). You're using some core for sure, but because you're seated most of the time, and supporting yourself with your arms, you are eliminating alot of core demand, while your legs and shoulders do most of the work. (sorry...OT is activity analysis based....old habits die hard).

I think your best bets are swimming (full extension (front crawl or backstroke), core demanding and engages almost every muscle group without impact issues) and my old standby of yoga (core, balance, strength, weightbearing and flexibility)...uber important to get that balance and flexibilty stuff as we age. 

ok.....going to put on a few layers and go for a looooong walk. Have spectacular days ladies....!!!!!!

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited October 2013
    Options

I hear ya, Katy, that's one of the reason I run. I have been liking the kettlebell at the gym for building core....it's kicking my butt!

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013
    Options

Oops crossing posts....what Nihahi said lol! She is expert! Actually was hoping to get some swimming in this weekend!

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited October 2013
    Options

Walking/jogging is a pretty good cross training, Goodie and Sbe. Dark chocolate is for afterwards, nihahi. I found "fitbit" a very good motivator to get me moving for the past week or so. I hope it lasts. Still at work now, will try to win some points this weekend, liefie. My partner is driving so I wave to Jamestown on the way. I really like the "light" picture nihahi posted a while ago. Am I allowed to get a black t-shirt made with that on the back?" TGIF gloobers!

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

I am never going to get out the door....phone rang....I'm still here...which is good because:

1. expert...NOT....wisdom of old age and OT training.

2. Forgot another really good exercise...rowing machine ....works flexion and extension of arms, back and legs. Non-impact, and you really work the core if you maintain the right positioning. You will feel it in your lower back, if you don't!!!!!

seriously...now leaving the building!!!!!

• Tracy516
    Tracy516 Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2013
    Options

Wow it's in the 80's here in New Jersey!! I don't want snow until dec 24th!!!

I can't wait to go back to my gym. Gonna take it easy but still want to lose 20 pounds! I lost 17 from dx til now!!!

Have a comfy day ladies!

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013
    Options

Yes....LOVE rowing!!!

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Another great full body work out is Nordic pole walking. You burn a lot of calories as well as building strength in both upper and lower body.
  • Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited October 2013
    Options

Tracy516, I want to lose 20 pounds, too! I wonder how many of us on the DIEP 2013 want to lose weight? Maybe Nihahi will start us our weight loss thread to make us accountable & motivated?

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2013
    Options

Morning girls,

Here on Vancouver Island we now have a dusting of snow on the mountains, and it has cooled down considerably. Fortunately we hardly ever go below 10 C - grateful for that.

Nihahi, brace yourself, and get out those warm clothes! Some of it is going to be too big, I bet. Tried the treadclimber last night. Not too bad, but will have to work up to it. That thing makes you real tired real quick, which is good. Thinking of naming it Wilbur . . . lol. At the moment we can still walk outside, so Wilbur will come into play once it really starts to rain here.

Sharon, there is a thread here named 'Wednesday Weigh-in'. With the support on there, and being accountable (have to report your weight loss every Wednesday), I have lost 8 lbs so far. Can really recommend them. At the moment they have a challenge to lose 10 lbs by Christmas. We can do it!

Sbel, you really got lots of good advice here re: exercise. What I love about these threads, is that I can also apply all the excellent advice given out here. For instance, you guys have just inspired me to go lane-swimming today. Thanks!

• hrf
    edited October 2013
    Options

I'm also in for 20 pounds.

• Morningsun1
    edited October 2013
    Options

MyFitnessPal helped me with my weight.

• hrf
    edited October 2013
    Options

I also like My Fitness Pal. I have synhed it to my Fitbit.

• Morningsun1
    edited October 2013
    Options

Ok, where do I do the sync of the two, hrf?

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited October 2013
    Options

I'm needing to hang out here more and get inspired by all of you to work out! :). Just curious-- how long did it take for you to get the all clear from the doctors to do ab exercises? I never get a straight answer, but I'm pretty sure I'm good by now. :)

It's 90 over here today, and I can't imagine the weather you all have been getting nihahi and liefie!

Nihahi-- I work for the federal government and am considered "non-essential" so I am furloughed at this time until Congress can pass a budget....

TammyT-- I think you can login to the my fitness pal online and there's a way for you to sync it to your fitbit (cant remember since i did it ages ago). Of course mine is on my nightstand collecting dust!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2013
    Options

I just returned from a glorious walk with hubs, who is working from home today. I'm so blessed to live in such a pretty place! The Olympics (with snow) to the west beyond Puget Sound, which is beautiful itself; Cascades to the east (with snow); Mt. Rainier to the south and Mt. Baker to the north, both are always snow-covered. On a clear day like today, you can see it all. I took pictures.....don't know if I'll figure out how to post them. Nihahi, you posted a tutorial somewhere.....

I have a fancy elliptical machine. I had a rower but it is not "no impact" for me. My tail bone curves out and causes problems. I think I damaged it in a sledding accident, who knows. Any floor exercise where I have to rock on my butt does the same thing. We should have ridden our bikes today but I think walking is actually more difficult for me. The pup needs exercise anyway. I like to use "Map My Tracks" app to keep track of what I do.

Losing twenty pounds sounds about right for me but my PS cautioned me about losing "too much" weight as it would mess up his work. Hard to get motivated when he says that! I have lost about seven pounds since July but it may have been the leftover belly fat he removed, I dunno. I don't stress about it.

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013
    Options

That was just too easy!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013
    Options

Jeannie - Just too gorgeous!

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2013
    Options

Beautiful, Jeannie! I'm waiting for the hubs to come home so we can go for a long walk. Always nice to have company, eh?

Cuetang, my PS said 3 months before any strenuous gym exercise. Walking was fine. I'm out 41/2 months, and doing both leg lifts no problem. Took it easy in the beginning though, lifting only one leg at a time for a long time.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Jeannie...beautiful! Thanks for posting!

Yes, Nihahi, it's the Santa Ana winds around here. It looks like a war zone, with all the tree branches and turned-over trash cans everywhere. And the wind makes it hot, oddly enough. I'll trade you a day of hot wind for a day of chilly windshield scraping!

The PS said maybe a week more of the wound vac, and the infectious disease doc said maybe 4 more days of the IV antibiotics. They drew blood today so maybe that information will help them decide. No matter what, I AM GOING TO THE OFFICE MONDAY. Working at home is kinda fun, but no one can see my red stilettos here.

Can anyone recommend a good, beginniner yoga DVD? I'm willing to do it, I just don't know where to start!
  • nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

sbe...we get winds that raise the temp too....they are called Chinook winds here. They can raise the temp 20 degress in a matter of minutes in the dead of winter, which is heavenly, until they stop, and everything that melted turns to black ice!

Try going to the Yoga Journal website....lots of info there, and you can get yoga videos of various levels from them. You can watch short tutorials too, on that website.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

oops forgot to add.....jeannie...you live in heaven!!!! Thanks so much for posting that pic!

cuetang...always amazes me how little can be achieved unless the "non-essentials" do their thing!!!!!!

• Tracy516
    Tracy516 Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2013
    Options

wow Jeannie !! That view !!

My PS said the more weight u lose you can in your breast! So say 40 pounds would be too much!

Of course going to the Cheesecake Factory didn't help but yum to apple Carmel strudel cheesecake !

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013
    Options

Nihahi, what a great idea.

I am so ready to move on. Love the discussions on exercise already. What is a fitbit? I have been walking, but my weight is not budging. My main goal is really to feel strong and be healthy. I like Fitness Pal. Time to plug back into that. This is getting me fired up.

Jeannie, how beautiful. Can't wait to see those sights in November. It will be my first trip to the NW.

Liefie- My 2nd grand baby is due in March too. I will be doing a quilt when we find out the sex of the baby. Looking forward to this project.

Love this new thread already!

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

sharon...."Nihahi starts another thread" hahahahahahahha.....NOT HAPPENING!!!!!

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited October 2013
    Options

That is pretty Jeannie!

I am signing up for a twelve week class at the ymca that starts on the 21st because I need to lose anout 55lbs to be comfortable. They do a nutrition program with cardio/strength training three days a week. I am really looking forward to it!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013
    Options

That sounds great, Sweetpickle. I'm thinking of joining the Y again. It's just so darn crowded. They had a LiveStrong class I wanted to take but the timing was wrong and now they aren't offering it.

I would love to have a water view from my house but I don't. I have forest ---we call them green belts--- instead. The water view is about a mile away from my house. The beach/lighthouse/ferry is 4-5 miles from here.

All packed and ready to go fly fishing tomorrow! Wish me luck...I hope I don't hook a person by mistake but it's more than likely.....I also don't want to fall out of the boat! It's supposed to be beautiful weather.

• hrf
    edited October 2013
    Options

Tammy, go to the Fitbit website and there should be an item there that directs you to connecting with a fitness tool. Just chose the fitbit and follow the directions. I did it several months ago and it was quite simple if I recall properly.

• goodie
    goodie Member Posts: 39
    edited October 2013
    Options

Jeannie - beautiful picture. Wow Wow Wow. I'd love to have that to walk to on a daily basis! Someday I want to live at the beach and walk/run by the ocean every morning!

I love this encouraging exercise (and weight loss too) talkings! I actually jogged/walk for the third time this week. I'm 4 weeks out from stage 2 this week. Today I jogged 20 minutes of it! and I jogged/walked 4 miles! Yea for me. I prefer to exercise in the morning but I may have to start doing it in the evening after work.

nihahi - what's that name of your new weight loss/exercise thread? LOL

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013
    Options

OMG...just got home from 4 hours at "the beer tent" with my sister lmao! It's our home town festival this weekend. Beer tent on Friday and Saturday nights. We actually had wine. Usually it's quite a few people we know from high school but not tonight....barely knew anybody but each other. Didn't stop us from having a really good time, though.