Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Moving On......After the Flap

Options

Comments

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited October 2013
    Options

cherrie- Glad to hear that all went well with your MRI.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited October 2013
    Options

Sometimes life is so insane all you can do is smile and carry on. Today, my daughter called to tell me she had been diagnosed with sleep apnea. So it's a trial with a cpap machine for her. I worked as a med.receptionist at a sleep clinic for a few months, so I have seen how cpap can truly make a positive difference for people. So, I stressed to her all the good things that could come from this....might even help with some of her depression issues....get her off some of the meds that don't seem to help anyway...that kind of stuff. Got her in a good frame of mind about the whole thing....lay down to take a short nap, as I'm still bagged from not sleeping the night before, worrying about our son.......SHRIEK......fire alarm in the condo goes off!!!! So much for a nap! Sometimes you just have to laugh....or cry.....I choose laugh.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited October 2013
    Options

(((((Nihahi))))) blessings on your day today!

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited October 2013
    Options

Nihahi, happy to hear that things smoothed out a bit with your DS!

Cherrie, glad the MRI went well. Now for good results! I saw that the reimbursement to my PS was very low for the DIEP. I don't know if they have appealed it or not. Would love to know how to help.

Sweet, I hope you find out something very soon about this water retention. You are starting to scare all of us!

Jeannie, one more week!

Happy Wednesday everyone. ...Julie

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2013
    Options

cheri was the MRI routine? or for symptoms? I often wonder if we should have MRI's to check under the flap.

Bailey where is this study on accupuncture. any locations near Va or DC?

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

hey marty.....how's that sewing project coming along?

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013
    Options

Ooooo, Nihahi, don't remind me that I am not on task (tee hee). The under dress needs hemming, top edge facing and attaching straps. The outer dress needs the shoulders twisted and attached to each other (that is how the bias is darted with twists). So, I am close, very close - though this afternoon is dedicated to bridge.

Tried out rubonnipples tatoos today. Very strange. I haven't had them is way too many years so I think this will take some getting used to. DH didn't even have much of a comment. I def think I need to have nipples plus tats. This is giving me food for thought.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

wow...that outfit sounds pretty special!!! Way more than a hem, two side seams and cut outs for the arms and head!!! I bet it will be awesome when you're done. Life is all about balance....enjoy the bridge game!

How is hubby doing post back surgery....much better I hope.

It's a beautifully sunny, but friggin cold (feels like minus 2) morning here. Guess I need to break out the toque and mittens for my walk. I know....you're probably still in sandals and shorts. (sigh).

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013
    Options

MRI is the standard now that we shouldn't have mammograms. You don't want your flaps squeezed like that.

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013
    Options

Well 57 F did feel a bit chilly this morning when I went for my walk, but nothing like your weather. Do love my flip flops!

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013
    Options

I love flip flops t! Leaving for Va on Monday. Hing for some flip flop weather.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

Just an FYI.....I have just sent my photo, info and quote to Melissa. I hope many of you do the same. This site has been so helpful for so many of us.....I believe in "paying it forward"....To me....this has more meaning, awareness and actual "support" than anything else in "Pinktober". (nihahi)

Oct 8, 2013 10:55am Moderators wrote:

Excuse me breaking in here, but we are looking to show your faces, names and quotes at our fundraising event in October (www.rockforbreastcancer.org), and would love your help. This event is one of our largest fundraisers of the year and we'll be joined by hundreds of generous donors.

Specifically, we will have two projector screens up during the event, and want to show the people attending the event YOUR faces--- the women of our community, the women who use and rely on BCO ! Having the opportunity to share your photos and quotes that night will reinforce to our donors, in a meaningful and personal way, just how vitally important their contributions are to our community.

For this, we are looking for people willing to share a photo of themselves (either alone or with family, friends, pets, other BCO members, etc.), allow us to use your first name, say where you are from (it can be from anywhere in the world!), and give us a quote on how important BCO is to you. We are looking to have at least 40 people and have (only) a few weeks to work on this.

If you are interested, could you please email Melissa at mjenkins@breastcancer.org, with your photo, first name, where you live, and your quote? Also, PM us if you have any questions!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for helping us!!

Melissa

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi ladies.......it's been a few days for me, and I am sorry to have been MIA....this is the first year anniversary of my BC journey.....mammos, Us, MRi, LX.....and lots and lots of PINK, everywhere.....I really did not expect to have such a strong reaction to the time of year, but, there it is.....Have been staying off the DIEP thread because I just don't want to be reminded about it right now.....silly, I know...

Like Nihahi, I have also been having drama (more) with DD#4.......we were afraid she was going to lose her job (a wonderful, well-paying job w/full benefits) at a medical research firm, due to her extended illness/time-off work.......I found out today that she will be going back....part-time for the first few months (CEO said he didn't want her going 0-100 mph) and she will actually have MORE responsibility as their Project Manager.....I was so happy to hear all that that I cried....

Although I have been quiet, I HAVE been at the gym........working on stretching out muscles tightened by last surgery.....Wow! That's a process! But it is coming.....slowly. I have been sticking to 65 minutes/11,000 steps (give or take) on the elliptical, at a low incline and low resistance.....I don't really want to bulk up, I want to "winnow down" :) I have dropped about 20 lbs since stage 1, and hope to drop 10 more before stage 2b. Fingers crossed

Weather is definitely changing here in Oregon......chilly, leaves are turning, and rain, rain, and MORE rain......DH is busy, busy, busy with his CPA firm, finishing up 2012 income taxes before the 15th......if we can work it out, we may take a few days and head up to Vancouver Island to explore....and hopefully I will get to spend some time with Liefie! :D

My PS 's office manager called me today to ask me a favor....would I mind talking to a patient who is considering a flap procedure......hard to believe that I am THAT far out! I like that! Of course, the first thing I am going to do is recommend that she sign up on BCO to talk to others who have been there, done that, and then I will tell her that if I had to do it all over, I would......

I have missed talking to you sistahs......sending my love!

XO Jackie

• sweetpickle
    edited October 2013
    Options

I just sent my quote off :)

I spoke to the lymphedema folks today and guess what? Their first available appt. is in February. Hand hitting forhead! I asked to be put on the cancellation list and she is working on trying to squeeze me in sometime next week if possible. I may just be screwed for a while. Bleh.

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013
    Options

FEBRUARY WTH!!!! (Hi movie so happy to see you here....been worried about you a bit :) I am praying for that cancellation, Sweet. FEBRUARY!!!????

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2013
    Options

Sweetpickle, how about seeing your regular doc for an exam while you wait for your LE appt? They don't typically know a lot about LE but he could rule out other conditions that could be causing the fluid retention. I'm pulling for you!

Movie! I have missed you. I completely understand wanting a total fbc break once in awhile. I am so afraid of getting hopelessly behind on pages here, though.... I'm glad your DD's job worked out! Wow, 65 minutes! That's great! I will be inspired by you as I do my 40, up until a WEEK from TODAY when I have stage II! You will be such an encourager to your PS's patients. I wish every woman was told about bc.org when they are diagnosed. Please give Liefie a hug for me.

My best friend and next door neighbor just moved to Texas for the winter yesterday; my neighbor on the other side is going to Arizona for the winter. I feel abandoned! But happy for them. I went to a master gardener meeting today and I need to decide if I want to continue with the program. I seem to have lost my gardening mojo, especially since LE set in. I need to make a decision soon. I love the gardeners I have met. They helped me more than anyone else with meals, rides, etc. sigh. On the way home I heard a radio spot for a local mall that said, "Come celebrate breast cancer awareness month with us!" Excuse me?????? It's a celebration, a holiday now? When I became "aware" of my bc I didn't do any celebrating.....After nearly crashing my car and actually getting teary over that ad, I came home and wrote the mall owners an email. I may have to start taking that Ativan sooner than next week! My tummy is in knots, my neck aches....I don't feel very well, if I'm honest.

Sbel, hope you lose your farting friend! Sherry, thinking of you! Those waiting for test results, thinking of you, too. Good healing to everyone who needs it.

• sweetpickle
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hey Movie, so glad to "see" you! Way to go on the weight loss!!!

Jeannie- I already have an appt. with my pcp on Monday. PS also wants to see me next Thursday.

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2013
    Options

am I supposed to be getting annual MRI to monitor under flap?

am going to texas next week. found doc there that will give me the scans and proper monitoring I need. so fed upwith local docs.

cherie. its getting chilly n wet here in Va.

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013
    Options

Lost my post I wrote! Errrr

Fredntan- hoping weather is better next week in Chesapeake. I know it will be warmer than Michigan. 🌞🌞

Movie- Nice to hear from you again. We all understand breaks. I know I have done it too.

Sent Melissa my pic and quote today!

Wow Jeannie, just two weeks! Time flies!

Sweet- glad you will be getting in soon. It just doesn't sound right.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

Just back from a watercolour class....(hahaha..snort)....sure not gonna be taking up any gallery space with MY work.....but it was fun, and for two hours there was not a shadow of a thought about bc, flaps, boobs, etc. Just me having a good time and trying to not tip over the water bucket!!! For me, doing something that I am not skilled at, or knowledgeable about, has always been a great way to give my thoughts, and emotions a break!

bailey....what colour are your "vegas toes".....please dear lord, do NOT say PINK!!!!!

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013
    Options

They are pink, Nihahi, with a bc ribbon on each big toe so everybody knows.

bahahahahaha! I didn't wear pink nail polish BEFORE BC...and I sure as hell am not wearing it now! The closest I come to that is a deep salmon because I have these 4-inch, wedge, open- toed, Caterpillar (yes, like the equipment manufacturer) brand sandals that are salmon pink and go with a cute chocolate brown dress.....BUT....can't hack those shoes with my "Femara feet". So I did a metallic red for Vegas....Will peek out from my Teva' s lol!

I was in the store the other day.....

salesperson: would you like to make a donation to b/c?

Me: No, thank you.

Salesperson: But it goes to help the blah, blah, blah.

Me: No thank you, I think I have given enough to breast cancer already.

Salesperson: (crickets and mean look)

Me: ( mean look back).

I love November 1.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2013
    Options

nihahi, I recently did a watercolor for a friend. I know nothing about it and have never expressed a desire to learn but this friend thought I should try it while I recuperate. She bought me supplies, sent me videos. It was annoying, actually. But this friend (the one who moved to Texas) just had her birthday. We're both gardeners so I attempted to paint her garden for her birthday. It wasn't great but she cried so at least it made an impression. It was a wonderful process to take my mind off bc, it's true. Wow, that was long-winded!

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

jeannie....I used to be an avid gardener. Had tons of books, took courses, (considered becoming a Master Gardener, but couldn't fit the classes in with my other commitments) ran a garden centre a couple of summers. I had beds of perennials, annuals, grasses, shrubs, trees,veggies.... spent half my life wandering around garden centres and planning where to put the "next plant". I started plants from seeds, I poured over catalogues in the winter, planning what to order/search out in the Spring. I spent hours upon hours in the yard, happily digging, weeding, deadheading, watering, pruning, etc. .....I was really wondering when we sold our house and moved to a condo if I'd regret leaving the gardens....NOPE....don't miss the work and expense at all. Now I go for walks and admire other peoples gardens and hard work....then come home and put my feet up and smile!!!!

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited October 2013
    Options

I could do without a Lot of yard work......but I get where those who love are coming from......to me, it's just work....... :\

XO

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013
    Options

http://swog.org/Visitors/s1200.asp

Above is the link for the acupuncture study and it lists the participating study sites. I am in the control arm. I can't remember who asked me about it or on which thread!

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013
    Options

I love my garden and so do the deer😉.

• Tracy516
    Tracy516 Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2013
    Options

oh the double edge sword of October !! I love the trees turning colors and the cool temps. I love the Halloween decorations and the smell of pumpkin latte! Hate pink! Never was my color! I know people mean well. I did the same a year and a half ago! My friends are wearing pink and I told them that's great. Just be careful buying things. Not all $ g0es to research:( boo

I'm 8 weeks post surgery today!!!!!!!!!!!

Movie I started the gym last night!!! I did 39.5 mins walking! I was happy and slept great!

Rain for the next 3 days;( boo

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited October 2013
    Options

Now ladies, I love pink. Always have and always will. It's one of my best colors. I agree that breast cancer is certainly nothing to celebrate.

Jeannie, don't get too worked up. I'm so anxious to hear about your stage II.

I'm on day 10 out of 11 of my Leslie Sansone 30 day challenge. That 30 minutes is all I can do.

Happy Thursday! ...Julie

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013
    Options

30 minutes is GREAT jbloom! You go! You, too, Tracy!

My garden was always my refuge. It was sorely neglected the last two summers...but better thus year. I have always wanted to do the master gardener thing!

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

Bailey....my garden was my "refuge, sanctuary, sanity" place. When things were horrible in my family, "relationship" wise, I could spend time in the garden and feel some peace. No one else in my family ever had the slightest interest, so everyone left me alone out there. I think I would have gone insane without it, but eventually, I got "strong enough" to learn how to carry the sense of peace within myself, no matter where or what I was doing. I know my garden served its purpose for me. It got to be physically too much work and took all my free time. I found I wanted more and more to be doing other things. I left a beautiful yard for the family that bought our house, and was happy to move on. For all I know, they have torn everything out and installed astroturf and trampolines.....! That's ok..... I have moved on!

It can be hard to keep the threads separate....(knowing what I posted where....:) so my theory is I try to post nothing flap related on this thread...(re: the "spirit/intent of the thread"), and save those flap related messages for the Diep thread. Of course, that 2013 thread can wander in many directions (aka marching bands, hubby's with remotes, etc.) but I try to to keep this one Flap Free.

hey jbloom.....they say it takes a minimum of 30 days to create a new habit....you're almost halfway there!!!!