Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited November 2013

ADNAWOT!  (that's TOWANDA backwards, for blessings on the OTHER eye, too)

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited November 2013

You guys are making me tear up! Keep the Towandas coming, please. On to an MRI with the dreaded IV to rule out unlikely but scary things.

• sbelizabeth
    edited November 2013

Just had my yearly T&A check, with the gyno who saved my life two years ago.  I went to her when I noticed the red spot in the skin of my breast, but by the time of my appointment, the red spot had faded--it was room temperature, not warm and flushed from the shower anymore.  Neither of us could see anything, but she sent me for follow-up anyway...and the rest is breast cancer history.  And it's HISTORY!

She couldn't get over how soft and natural my DIEP bumps feel. 

Very gratifying to be alive and in the process of restoration.  And the "A" is just fine, too.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited November 2013

sbe.....exactly HOW focussed are you at work this morning?????? Drink some water, I think you may have over-caffeinated yourself Nerdy! fyi...light snow and windchill of -23.

gotta step away from the techno gadgets for awhile....sending jeannie another TOWANDA.....ADNAWOT!!!!!!!!!

Hubby is home from work today with an "upset tummy".......lord, please help me get through the day.....I'm heading to the gym!!!!!

• Jeannie57
    edited November 2013

Well, the MRI showed I have a brain and no cancer detected there. That's good news! Doc thinks I have ischemic optic neuropathy, cause unknown, no treatment although he's starting me on a baby aspirin a day in hopes it protects the good eye. If my vision improves 100% within two months, then it isn't ischemic blah-blah and I'll have to have more tests. So I guess I'm hoping my vision doesn't improve 100%???

Thanks so much for your wonderful support!

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited November 2013

That is awesome news!!  Here's to baby aspirin.!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited November 2013

I guess it is too late to say TOWANDA! I am so relieved you have a brain. What does the baby aspirin do??

Went shopping for a few things for my trip to Seattle. Getting excited. Can't wait to meet you Jeannie!

I forgot to report that my steps yesterday was 6600 and today I am at 8300 so far. My hubby walked with me which is a very rare occasion. It is cold here and getting colder by the day. In the 20's (f) this weekend.

• Jeannie57
    edited November 2013

The baby aspirin should thin my blood a little to help it move around the eye better, I think. Thanks, Cherrie.

• sbelizabeth
    edited November 2013

Jeannie, does he think it's blood-pressure related at all? It would be great if aspirin alone cured you!

As for the brain MRI...I would think the procedure would be a little risky for the machine itself. Kind of like turning on the microwave with nothing in it. LOL... OK, I'm all finished cracking myself up at your expense...!

Yeah, Nihani, today was a total throw-away day. I futzed around with databases, ran some statistics, played with my tape dispenser, and went to Costco. And figured out how to spell TOWANDA backwards.

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited November 2013

Jeannie- So glad your check up went well and fingers crossed that all is well with your hubbys work! Towanda....belated :)

Sbe-  Love the shoes!!! Wish my feet would put up with heels, Im a flat footed gal now.

Bailey- I have fingers and toes crossed for your boy!  I am so happy for you to be on the otherside of cancer so that you can support him through his process.

Nihahi- Girl stary warm!

Movie- (waving) Hey girl!

Kuka- My scars are light in some paces and dark in others, so weird.

Did I tell you guys that I am scheduled for stage two?  I cant remember who Ive told.  January 15th is my day and they will do the ooph then also.  I am also being sent for an MRI because my left shouler, affected side, hasnt stoppe hurting.  Hopfully Ill have a brain too when they check, some days I wonder.  lol

Hugs to all!

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

Just catching up.....hey, jeannie! Yes, dear, you defo have a brain!!!!! Ok, so I'm somewhat confused (no comments sbe....takes one to know one Winking), but, it sounds like good news???? Weren't you were extra clever to get yourself on BP meds a day early! And, just for the heck of it, here's one more.....TOWANDA!

sbe...your day sounds about as productive as mine. Went to the gym to let hubby "rest in peace"...translation...save my sanity. Then had to go out in the friggin whiteout (again) to buy gingerale and crackers and jello. (I'm kidding....he'd do the same for me for sure).

cherrie...Seattle's getting closer....super steps today...keep it up girl!

hey sweet!!!!! I was thinking of you the other day....saw a car with North Carolina plates driving down the street....covered in snow..hahaha! Glad to hear you've gotten a date...must be things are still moving forward!

• Jeannie57
    edited November 2013

Sbel, this isn't a "cure" situation. My optic disk has been permanently damaged by the nerve swelling if it really is Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy. No treatment. The aspirin may perhaps thin my blood and may prevent AION in the other eye, but they don't really know. I have normal bp and low cholesterol so that isn't a factor. There is so much they don't know.....it was freaky to see MRI slices of my brain. I suspected I had one but one doesn't expect to ever "see" it! Good job on the ADNAWOT!

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

hey jeannie....any chance it could be tamox related ????? If so, could you you "comfortably" pause the tam to investigate if there is any improvement?? Just wondering.

editted to add....sorry, I guess I should be mri'd in the head....I thought you had started bp meds. WHATEVER has caused this, I've got everything crossed that it will not progress, it will "improve" as much as possible, and for goodness sake....leave your other eye alone!

• Jeannie57
    edited November 2013

Nihahi, didn't go on bp meds because turns out I didn't need them, looking at my history in PCP office this year. Good thing because it's thought a drop in bp can bring this AION on. I would like to blame this on surgery or chemo but no known villains here. It's good news that I don't have cancer in my brain...not so great otherwise, especially if my vision improves 100%. That could be bad because it would require more tests for things like MS, perhaps. But doc feels it is AION and I won't get all my vision back because AION swelling causes permanent damage to the optic disk. I don't know if that makes any sense...I have been trying to organize what I know in my mind all afternoon. I think I understand it, at least, even if you don't! I have the advantage of the doc's illustrations on the whiteboard. I can live with partial vision in my right eye, I guess.

• Jeannie57
    edited November 2013

Nihahi, Doc felt it was impt. to stay on the Tamoxifen. You are wishing for exactly the right things! And that it is AION and nothing else. Thanks!

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

jeannie......ThumbsUp!

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

hey sbe....ThumbsUp for you too! Missed your post about your checkup! Gosh, I bet that doc has a pretty special place in your heart. I'm about to go start the whaaaambulance. Lots of fresh powder in the mountains....might be too cold for me to go play in it!!!!

• sbelizabeth
    edited November 2013

Oh, Jeannie...honey...with all you've had to give up to breast cancer, and with everything else going on in your life right now, this is such a blow. I hear what you're saying about AION being the known, and lesser of other evils, but still. I do not want you to have to learn to live with partial vision in an eye! Is there really nothing that can be done? Steroids, laser surgery? You can tell I'm not an opthalmologist, can't you...

Anyway, I'm so sorry this is on your plate. You're STILL in my prayers. Katy

• Jeannie57
    edited November 2013

I am actively seeking a therapist, no lie! Hubs and I went to bed at 8:30 last night because stress is tiring.

Sbel, there is no proven treatment at this point but thanks for the good thoughts and prayers. Ironically, I had laser surgery to correct my vision many years ago. Cost a pretty penny, too. No relation to what is happening now. Great news about your T & A appointment!

I'm thinking of getting a tattoo that just says "FU@K" instead of FU&K CANCER on my ab scar.......I am not usually foul-mouthed. Today will be a better day. It is cold for us today (literally freezing at this hour, 40 later) but I hope to take a long walk with my pup. Nihahi, I don't know how you deal with your temps!

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

sob.....sob.....sob......2 friggin FEET of fresh powder in the mountains.....

-17 FAHRENHEIT windchill. at home, -29 in the mountains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! waaaaahhhhhhh BawlingSadThumbsDown

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2013

Jeannie, hope the eye issue will be resolved one way or another, and that it will be good. Towanda!

Nihahi - LOLOLOL! Stay inside, please!!!

I'm saying good bye as I'm leaving for South Africa tonight. Wishing everybody a merry and blessed Christmas, and good health, and will 'see' you when I get back on Dec. 29.

Quickly want to finish packing, then take the dog for a last walk before I shower and get dressed - we have beautiful sunshine here today - can't waste it. First flight is 9 hours long, second is 11 hours long, so I will do well to do some walking.

Good bye, and take care!

• Jeannie57
    edited November 2013

Liefie, thanks and safe travels! I hope DH continues to feel well, the wedding is wonderful and you have a fantastic time with your loved ones. We will sure miss you while you're gone. You return on my birthday.

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

safe journeys liefie....

WOOHOO......forecast for tomorrow is 18F in the mountains.....PIECE OF CAKE!!!!!Nerdy

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited November 2013

After all that snow, can you still go up the mountains, nihahi?

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

oh yeah.....I can get there....as long as the **** wind stays quiet! They are pretty good around here with plowing the main highways. Once I get closer to the mountains, we carpool, and another gal usually does that drive, since she has a much shorter drive than I do. If you don't hear from me tomorrow....I'M PLAYING IN THE SNOW!

• sbelizabeth
    edited November 2013

Liefie, safe travels and keep your legs moving during the flights.  A DVT would sure scramble up the wedding for you.  We will miss you!

Nihahi, it's snowing here too!  Oh...wait...that's just the dust from the empty field across the street.  Rats.

Jeannie, you're a solid human being.  I just know you'll do what needs doing and incorporate it beautifully into your life.  Still praying.

My gyno offered me some estrogen cream for "hoo-ha" atrophy due to the letrozole.  She said it has no systemic effects, and is limited pretty much to hoo-ha improvement.  I said no thanks.  Stage III breast cancer, 95% estrogen-receptor positive, is in my rear-view mirror, and I'm not putting anything that begins with an "E" anywhere near my innards, hoo-ha included.  W-D 40, maybe?

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited November 2013

Liefie - Have a wonderful Christmas, and stay safe and healthy. Talk to you when you get back.

Jeannie - I hope today is a better one. If not, it is completely appropriate to write FU*K across your tummy.

• Jeannie57
    edited November 2013

Haha, Sbel! I agree about the hoohaa and E of any kind. I got the same offer. Let me know if the WD-40 works......

• nihahi
    edited November 2013

www.rd.com/slideshows/13-amazing-uses-for-wd-40

not smart enough to make it a "link", but good reading!!!! heheheheheheh

• sbelizabeth
    edited November 2013

Yeah, it's worth a try.  Maybe it'll at least take care of that distracting squeeky noise we make.  Or maybe that's from our hip joints?