Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited January 2014

Bailey, so nice to see you back!

Happy New year all! Trying to eat less move more this year but rads are still kicking my butt. Three weeks out and I could still sleep the day away! Wintery weather is moving in tonight so I'll have to spend the day getting the girls (chickens) ready. 

Last day of 2013 I lost my beloved cockatiel after 25 years. She was part of my "original" family before I had kids. But she had a good long life. 

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

bailey.....that food sounds like true winter comfort food.....yum yum yum.

We had chinese takeout for New Years.....I totally pigged out.....and I still feel full.....I thought with Chinese food you were supposed to be hungry an hour later??? It's two days now, still full!!!!

hey bluebird......2014 is going to be a GOOD year....RIGHT!!!!!

• FierceBluebird
    edited January 2014

Yes it is!  Now I'm jonesing for Chinese food and clam chowder. 

Chinese New year of the horse is January 31st!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

Bluebird - so sorry for your loss.  Cockatiels are such fun birds.

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited January 2014

Bluebird - I'm so sorry to hear about your bird. It seems so profound to part ways on the last day of a year, especially when that year has been so challenging. It must mean something, in a good way. And I'm glad she had a long and happy life. I hope you do too.

I'm so happy it's 2014. Last year was good, and I think this one will be even better. However, I have broken almost all my New Years resolutions.  And I'm gaining weight. No mystery there though - I like to eat. (Coq au vin on the 31st, Indian take-out last night, and lots of snacks in between). I think I've been in denial. I'm so happy with my lovely flat stomach that I'm letting a round arse sneak up on me. 

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited January 2014

I "pig out" when there is good Chinese food. I was in Atlanta last week and really over did it with both Chinese home cooking and the varieties in the Chinatown food court. Gained at least three pounds as evidence. Blue, 新年快乐!(Happy New Year!)

• Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited January 2014

I posted pics of my shrunken nipple on the pic forum. Let me know what you think. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2014

IMO... It is really really hard to match a recon nipple to the natural nipple. Right after the nipple was done, it was not huge. Mine was huge and shrunk a lot... so I think the amount it shrank may be normal. The timing is just interesting.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited January 2014

Sunrise over the Gulf of Mexico

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

Beautiful!

• Morningsun1
    edited January 2014

Love your picture of sunrise bailey, makes me feel upbeat Smile

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

Bailey....Love it.....love you. Thanks for sharing that beautiful photo.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited January 2014

Bailey, lovely! Wish I were there! Did you know there is a forum called A Place for Peaceful Contemplation where beautiful peaceful photos are posted?

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

jeannie....that photo thread sounds like my kind of place..thanks for the info.

I've planned a snowshoe outing tomorrow....that'll fix things!!!!

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

sigh.....oh the irony of life.....it's snowing too hard to go snowshoeing.Loopy!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited January 2014

My goodness, Nihahi, I'm sorry!  You really needed your outing today.  Maybe the snowfall will ease up later and you can get out in some fresh, fluffy stuff.

Every morning since we moved to California from Denver, I ask my hubs, "did it snow last night?"  Not once has he said YES! 

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

No, Jeannie, I didn't know. I will check it out and maybe make a contribution. Thx.

Nihahi - I am truly sorry your plans were cancelled Sad what else brings you peace? I always say my garden is my church....in the winter I will spend time planning for the next spring when I need a fix.....drawing and finding plants on the internet, etc. Somehow the plans rarely make it to fruition, but it does calm me. 

Do you draw or paint? Your photographs are always beautiful...maybe go through them and select a few to enlarge and have printed and framed???

Praying for busy hands (or feet) and peace on your heart and mind.

• Morningsun1
    edited January 2014

for the peace in my mind, I will settle for the story of liefie's trip, Happy

nihahi, it's very cold here too. We are to have -7 temp on Monday and lots of snow. sbe, want some of ours? I will send it by express.

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

sbe and bailey {{{{{X}}}} to you....I'm good today (well, considering the snowshoe cancellation) ....nothing like "someone else's" difficult news" to make you realize you have such minor issues... One of my neighbours, the one I occasionally drive to chemo, has been told she is now terminal (Lung ca) with very short term expectations. Just spent some time with her this morning. Makes me feel like putting a paper bag over my head in humiliation for being stressed. But, has certainly put things in perspective....I might just suit up and go for a long walk in the snow..it's not that cold here, just lots of snow.....it's not the mountains, but nothing is more peaceful than a snowy day.

• Morningsun1
    edited January 2014

Sorry about your neighbour, nihahi. Hope you have a peaceful walk.

• FierceBluebird
    edited January 2014

Nihahi, sorry to hear about your neighbor friend. It's wonderful that the neighbors are all there for each other.

Jeannie, I love that forum. I'm trapped inside with snow and little energy, so I can at least travel to other places visually!

Bailey, I also love reading about different plants and envisioning having them. I'm in the NJ Pinelands with acidic soil and too much shade so rarely do I attempt anything other than native plants or extremely hardy ones. But I love learning about them. 

Tammy, do you celebrate Chinese New Year?  I always joke that I am a reincarnated Asian. I do traditional Chinese brush painting and love Asian culture. I have more fun on Chinese New Year than regular New Years. Recently I got a Shiba Inu puppy and now I'm really into Japanese culture now. Being raised in a strict German/Irish Catholic family, my parents were always baffled of my interest in animals and Asian art.  lol... 

• Jeannie57
    edited January 2014

Bluebird, is that your artwork? Lovely! My friend gave me watercolor paints because she thought I needed something to do. Painting is hard! I did manage to make her a primitive painting of her garden and, I have to admit, it was fun. She cried when I gave it to her, though.....I am so sorry about the loss of your old bird-pal. Do you have others?

Nihahi, so sorry about your neighbor. It does put things in perspective. A master gardener I know is in her last days from f-ing cancer. So sad.  I just went to a master gardener lecture, first in a winter series, which gets us all excited to garden even though it's gray and mucky outside. A friend gave me today's ticket. Hoping for more generosity or a job for hubs so I can go to the others. Thinking about gardening makes me happy, like Bailey. I am not ready to give up my garden and hope I don't have to yet. You've managed it, though, so that gives me hope. I do have a lot of pictures of my plant babies to bring me joy!

We're celebrating our DD's 5th wedding anniversary tonight with a big family dinner. Tomorrow they go back to frigid Michigan. We've had such a great time together.

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited January 2014

Bluebird, that is beautiful.  Sorry to hear of your loss.  Bailey, your picture is very calming!  Janet, I like too eat too much, too.  Trying to cut out most sugar now that the new year is here and most of my excuses are over.  Jeannie, I need to check out that forum!  Nihahi, sorry to hear about your neighbor.  It strikes a chord in each of us in a way it never did before BC.

Our furnace has been out since New Year's eve.  So happy we didn't tear out the fireplace in our remodeling!  That and a few strategically placed cube heaters have kept us warm.  We found a replacement part on Ebay.  Read through most of their information and found out they are 30 minutes away from us.  We now have a repaired furnace and a spare replacement part.  What a blessing!  Also, to have a DH who can fix it.

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

Blue!!! It's beautiful.....you are Asian at heart, I think! 

Thing 2 just shaved and is walking around touching his face telling me (sarcastically) how beautiful he is.....lmao....he is so funny 

Thing 1 is CAMPING this weekend......and it's below 0·F all weekend!!! 

• Jeannie57
    edited January 2014

Julie, you got that furnace fixed just in time!

Lahela, I hope you are soon feeling yourself again soon. Be patient with yourself. You have been through so much!

Bailey, holy moly!!!!!' Your boy is either brave or crazy!!!!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2014

Nihahi, the painting is beautiful.  I have found that tapping into my artistic side gives me a very peaceful feeling.  I think I would like to try water colors.  On a sad note, I lost my brother to lung cancer last week.  I hadn't talked to his family for a couple days (800 miles away) so I called and he died while I was on the phone.  I literally called minutes before he passed.  It is so very sad, but I feel like I was there with him.  I am so thankful I made the trip to see him a few weeks ago to say my goodbyes.  Damn cancer. 

• FierceBluebird
    edited January 2014

zenful, so sorry to hear. Hugs to you and your family.

jlbloom, your furnace curse passed to us. ha..ha.. Hubby is downstairs working on it right now. Of course it had to go on the coldest day of the year!  It's 8 degrees outside and going below 0 tonight. I've been getting estimates to replace it, but so far none have been below $10,000!  

Luckily we also have a gas fireplace. Fingers crossed hubs can fix the furnace.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2014

Lynn.... So so sorry. <<<<HUGS>>>>

• Jeannie57
    edited January 2014

Oh, Zenful, sending you a warm hug. I'm glad you were able to see your brother recently and felt a closeness by being on the phone. Cancer is a horrible disease!

Yikes, Bluebird! Stay safe and warm. I hope you can get that furnace fixed and not replaced!

Just said goodbye to my DD and DSIL.   :( They fly back to freezing Michigan tomorrow, Lord willing. It was a fun evening with both families combined. I only wish I knew when we will next see each other.

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

zenful.....such difficult news to share about your brother. I believe you must have a strong connection to him, to have made that last call when you did. I have no doubt he felt you "with him". So sorry you and your family have to go through this sad time.