Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited January 2014

I am in.

Jeannie, no snoring can wake me up, so we can be share a bunk. I call for the upper bunk!

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited January 2014

Now you're going to have a good laugh. It's just been confirmed to me that I do have chemo brain/whatever BIG TIME. Came back last Sunday from South Africa, and totally forgot that this thread, one of my two favorites, exists - I can't believe it, but so it is. Just happened on it by chance a few minutes ago - LOL. Read a little, looked at the pictures, and will catch up on all the posts later today. I hope everybody had a wonderful Christmas with their families, and want to wish you all a very happy, healthy 2014 filled with peace and joy. 

Excited about the possibility of meeting in Missoula! Sounds lovely!

Jeannie, belated congrats on your b-day. Hope it was a very good day, and that this year will bring only good things to you!

Movie and Sbel, looks like you two had a lovely visit with little Audrey in tow - so cute!

Still not over the jet lag completely, but we're finally beginning to sleep better now after a week. At times my head still feels as if it's stuffed with cotton wool. Have to play piano in church later this morning. Don't feel 'together' or energetic at all, and I'm flying solo today to make things even more interesting.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited January 2014

Thanks for the offer, Tammy. 

Liefie, glad you found us again!! Church is the best place to play or sing. People are more forgiving there---no tomatoes thrown! I have made some whopping, glaring mistakes while singing at church but still felt loved. You will be just fine!

Speaking of church, off I go to greet people outside. I have my long johns on because it's only 29F. I know, that sounds like a heat wave to some of you!

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited January 2014

Meet me in Missoula in September, flapper girls...boo-boop-bi-doop!

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

Don't worry Jeannie, I had a grandmother who snored so loud she literally shook the walls of the house (pre cpap machine days). I ain't skeered.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

NerdyIsn't that a song title????....."Meet Me in Missoula"?????????? Nerdy

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

Oh dear.....just had a thought....what if I'm still "dead"??????

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

Oh dear...I have nothing helpful to say....my first thought was, "won't they be surprised!"...not helpful.

How about, it's a whole 8 months away ...surely they'll have straightened it out by then! Use it (the trip) to (nicely, of course) put pressure on them.

Wait....aren't you coming here before then?

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

Oh my word!!!!! 

I love these people...DH and the Things 1&2....but they all just left to do things for a few hours and I am sooooo happy to be ALONE for a little while. It seems WEEKS since I had a minute to myself.....oh the quiet....

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

bailey.....enjoy!!!! Sit all cozied up with a blankie, a hot cup of "whatever" and watch the snow....totally healing!!!!! You people around the Great Lakes have the worst of it in winter, inmo.....I grew up in a "lake effect" snow belt, there is no way to describe the way the damp cold gets into your bones, and how heavy the snow is. Our snow is usually so light, you can blow it into the air like a dandelion gone to seed.

yes....my "oh dear" moment isn't just about the rendezvous in "ole Miss".....it hit me when I thought of crossing customs. Never entered my mind when we booked the tickets to Arizona......YIKES!!!!! But then, technically, I was already deceased this past August, when I crossed to meet up with movie....so....maybe the Social Security and the IRS and the Border/Immigration people don't communicate with each other. I travel on a Canadian passport which might keep me under the radar too, so, hopefully, maybe.....please.......oh please!!!!!!!!Shocked

OK...snowshoe trip has been re-booked for tomorrow.....fingers crossed people!!!!!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2014

Bailey, I love it!  Betty Boop can be our new flapper girl mascot!

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

I live this pic of her! First of all, she is a Flapper from the 1920's...in case anybody didn't know :) A bit of side boob is showing (obviously she's had time to heal from her flap). She has a curly haired pixie cut like those of us who lost hair to chemo....penciled in eyebrows and about 8 lashes lol!

And Sbel's shoes!!!! 

Oh, I kill me.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2014

Oh, you kill me too, Bailey.  VERY clever, indeed!

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

Seriously, bailey.....open the window....your O2 sats must be falling Loopy.

• Jeannie57
    edited January 2014

Nihahi, during the time period Bailey suggests to visit Missoula, there is a "Dead Hipsters Dance Party!" You're in!  

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

jeannie!!!! ThumbsUpThumbsUpNerdyNerdy

I have a gardening question for you, oh mighty guru of the beeeooouuutiful garden........I bought an amaryllis bulb on impulse at a Home Depot this year. The first stalk gave me 3 blooms, and the second stalk is opening to 4 blooms. I'm thinking this is a keeper, but I have never tried to "keep" an amaryllis from year to year. I know they need dark/dormancy at some point...but other than that, I'm clueless. Is it possible for me to hang on to this and have it re-bloom next year???? 

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

Oh Jeannie, it's too much ha ha ha. Nihahi, I am so sorry you are dead/not dead. Every time we talk about this I think about that movie, "Cool Runnings" with the Jamaican bobsled team that went to the olympics. Have you seen it? Every time they crash their "sled" during training the one guy says to the other guy, "Hey, mon, you dead?"

I think this compression is going to my head. Or I am loopy with worry that Thing 1 is out driving on these roads. He should be home soon, I hope. Say a prayer.

And while you are at it, please kindly say a prayer that the parents get out of town safely and successfully on Tuesday this week. They leave for Germany for 2-3 months. I think my dad's head will explode if he has to wait an extra day. More on that tomorrow.

So are we thinking that the weekend of September 20 in Missoula is a go? Should I announce it on the other thread or are we in a holding pattern for any reason? My thought is, once we feel confident at least several of us are going, I will book one of the houses I found and place a deposit. I will probably wait a bit on flights to see if they go down at all, we have lots of time. The more I think about it, the more I am considering flying straight into Missoula....idk yet. There will be room for two more with me at the one house (there are two bedrooms and I will take the pull out couch). There are other houses, hotels, etc in the area and anyone else who wants to go can make their own reservations wherever they like with whomever they would like. Thoughts??? Please share. 

I was poking around on BCO today and went into the shop. I am not much for "BC wear" but they have a t-shirt (among other products) that says "I Have Information And I Am Not Afraid to Use It". I love that :)

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited January 2014

This is how some of us spend our time with the snow!!  Byron Center, MI--wanted to share some fun!!  Happy

imagehere's a link of the news article:  

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/01/byron_center_snowman_gets_nati.html#incart_river

• Jeannie57
    edited January 2014

Now that's a snowman!

Nihahi, sent you an email with a link.

Bailey, it's so hard for me to look beyond today right now. Having said that, September is a long way off. I would like to go. Since you offered a room where I won't disturb others.....Snort!....I will take you up on it. Thanks.

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

Ok, no worries Jeannie, if for some unforeseen reason you can't make it I'll take your bed and we will skype you in :)

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

bailey.....prayers going out for all that need them. Why on earth is thing 1 out on the roads anyway???

I definitely want to join the "Miss" gang, but can't commit until hubby makes some decisions. He and I are starting to plan a "celebrate his retirement" road trip around that timeframe, but he hasn't yet "picked the timeframe yet". There's a possibility that I may have to combine the flapper time with part of the itinerary of hubby's trip.

I was also wondering if movie might know of any other places for lodging, too, but I think she's still down for the count. 

I like your suggestion of as others join in, we can sort out our own arrangements as to where to stay. Missoula isn't so huge that planning "rendezvous" would be too difficult. It would be nice if possible, to get places relatively close together, so "group time" is a bit easier to manage. Trying to find somewhere to accommodate everyone, is sounding about as feasible as herding cats.

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

jeannie....got the emails, thanks....darn.....I thought it might be info for us dearly departed!!!! Loopy

I'm a lazy gardener too, and have always just tossed these before. But, I am half Scottish, and....I did get 7 blooms out of this thing....but.....I'm not sure I want to dedicate any condo space to it....so.....stay tuned. 

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

Thanks, Nihahi, I will wait until you and DH get things sorted out. Plenty of time. I think I will just sit on it for now so that it doesn't go off in 42 directions....like cats. I have been a paid cat herder for most of my life and I am not inclined to spend my free time doing the same thing :)

Thing 1 is in love. Need I say more? 

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

I completely understand where you are coming from bailey....somehow I have become the "recreation director" for a bunch of girlfriends. Everyone wants to get together....no one makes the decisions....until I get so blinkin frustrated I cave and "yet again" make all the plans.

I thought that "young hearts" might have something to do with tonights excursion....any headlights pulling into the driveway yet????

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

Yup yup, he's been here almost an hour, thankfully. That was a VERY good experience for him. He and the GF were supposed to go up and visit my parents for dessert (this is a relatively new GF) tonight. However, my dad nixed their trip (10 miles north of us) up there due to the weather. He said they would feel better knowing he was home (not that he stayed home lol). So, then they went to a movie instead. He came out of the theater and was very nervous about driving in the dark and on crappity roads. So, he says he now knows why Grandpa told him not to come over. And he knows just how bad it can get (although he's never had to drive in ice or deep fog, so he still has some learning to do). but he also knows that he can do it, which is important, too. I am so glad he had the experience without any tradgedy. 

Ha, social director stinks. I can remember the high school girlfriends and I sitting around talking about our approaching 40th birthdays. Talked turned to taking a trip. Somebody said camping, somebody said EWWWW to camping, somebody said cruise, somebody else said OMG I am not getting on a boat at that point my best friend leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Ok you plan it." Needless to say, I didn't plan it. And we didn't take a trip.

But I also can't handle talking about doing something incessantly and never getting the thing rolling. Makes me crazy. Next Sunday is our first "Second Sunday" meeting. I said to h.s. girlfreinds we are meeting the second Sunday of the month at Panera Bread at 4 p.m. Second Sunday.....4 pm....every month. I will be there. I hope I am not all alone LOL. But I am not going to remind everybody. I am not going to coordinate alternate dates or keep track of those who can't come. It=

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

Glad to hear he's home safe and sound and maybe a wee bit "life experienced without difficult consequences"

Have a great sleep...I'm going to try to find matching socks for tomorrow's outing. Nerdy

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

Just sayin'...

• nihahi
    edited January 2014

ThumbsUpThumbsUp GO TO BED!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited January 2014

I DID go to bed.  Now I'm up.  Can't sleep.  Love the socks!

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited January 2014

and I never went to bed.......coughing so much I feel like my head is going to explode, or at the very least I will crack a rib, or worse.....I may pop out a few internal "tummy-tuck" sutures.........Shocked

One thing we need to keep in mind about Missoula , is that it is a pretty spread out city.......and we won't want to spend all of our time just driving to get together......Bailey, I will check out your link, to see where it is, and maybe we can rent another home close-by.......

Another thing I will throw out there, is that there is a HUGE resort area in central oregon called Sunriver.....it has TONS of vacation rental homes, all in one lovely community, some with as many as 6-7 bedrooms, or  hotel rooms with small kitchens, etc.   there are miles of bike trails, gorgeous hiking, swimming, and night life (in Bend).  Not that I wouldn't like to go to Missoula , but it has nothing like this......sept would be slower there and we may have plenty of rental homes to choose from depending who is in, or out....sept in Oregon is pretty hard to beat.    (I am putting this on the table simply because it may be easier to get homes close to each other.......). Google it, and you'll see what I mean....the hiking is superb, and no grizzlies......   :).   All that being said, I will do WHATEVER!

Okay...sleep MAY be sitting on the edge of my bed..........love you all!