Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited January 2014

Bailey that was just the laugh I needed this morning, thank you!

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited January 2014

Ok blue I will. I am sitting here in my room for a bit letting morning traffic die down. 

My dad is a double amputee and has been since he was 10. He is now 72. After 62 years of dealing with the traditional socket type prosthesis (where the stump fits into a plastic socket or hole so to speak, and is held on with suction) and all the problems sockets entail he has found an alternative. It is called osseointegration. They put a titanium rod into the bone, in his case the remaining femur bones, and that rod sticks.out through his skin. So, the area around the rod is a stoma site (I think that's the right term)....kind of like where our drains go through our skin and into our bodies, but permanent. On the end of that titanium rod (after it heals and fuses with the bone) they put a fitting. The prosthesis then connects to the fitting and totally eliminates the socket. 

Osseointegration is not approved in the states yet so he had to go overseas to get it done. He has researched for a year and investigated Sweden, Australia, Mexico and Germany. Germany send d up being the right doc and right price for him. He has first surgery on the 14th to implant the rods. Then a second surgery to add the fitting part in 4-6 weeks. Then learning to walk all over again.

He is so brave. And so is my little mom. At 72 to travel abroad for surgery is amazing to me. This is life changing for him. It will make donning and doffing his prosthetics a simple thing. Without this he is quickly nearing the point where he can no longer wear the socket type prosthetics and would be in a wheelchair and not walk again. 

Can you imagine planning your flap for a year and then having to change your flight plans and wait 12 hours (and drive to Chicago in horrible weather)to get on the plane and be disabled and relying on others to even move through the airport??? Idk girls. Yesterday was very, very hard on them. I told them to remember we have seen the end of the world and yesterday sucked but it was not the end of the world. Nobody was dead and nobody was dying. I know they were thinking maybe God was trying to tell them to go home. I told them that I thought God was just making sure they worked really hard for it. 

They ended up having two hours in Heathrow before their connecting flight to Hamburg. I hope that was enough time. Their movements are controlled by whomever is there to push them around in wheelchairs. If making that happen at Heathrow was as slow as O'Hare I am concerned. 

We should hear something soon, I hope. All right friends I am going to head home. Love to all.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

Bailey.....hoping with everything I can muster that the trip and the surgery turns out great for your Dad....He is obviously made of "strong stuff", not hard to figure out where your "fight" comes from. I understand the rules about boarding, etc, but surely, you'd think the factors such as trying to get to unexpected airports while driving through horrible weather could cut some slack!!!!! 

Be careful on you drive home....get some rest..that certainly took some energy on your part too!!!

sweet....Sometimes, fighting something like bc with someone you love, helps you find ways to fight harder yourself. You've had your own struggles....maybe this bonding will good for you too!

Welcome curlylocks....it's a "different view from this side", hope it helps you move forward, cause the future is a good one!

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited January 2014

Sweet, so sorry to hear about your sister. What can I say? You will be of great comfort to her, no doubt about that!

Nihahi, you seem to be holding up fine, eh?

Curlylocks, welcome!

Movie, how are you doing? Coughing any better? I sincerely hope so!

Bailey, what a brave man your dad must be - he has earned my utmost respect! Hope his surgery goes very well too. 

Your airport story reminded me a little of my big mess-up when I was traveling to S.A. on November 20. We live on Vancouver Island, and I flew to the mainland early that afternoon to get to Vancouver airport in time. When I went up to the check-in counter at 6.30, 3 hours before the flight, and presented my passport, it was not my photo, but DH's staring back at me! I was shellshocked, speechless etc., but there was no way I could leave without my passport. He had taken the passport out at home, gave it to me, and I never thought to check it. So there I stood stranded with all my luggage, going nowhere. It was not as if he could just quickly bring over the right passport to the airport. Needless to say I had to spend the night at a hotel. DH took a two hour ride on the last ferry to the mainland that night to swap the passports, spent two hours at the hotel with me, and traveled back to the island on the first ferry of the day. He had not slept at all, and was in time for work that morning. We live about an hour and half from the ferry terminal, so he had to still drive home. So my long-awaited journey started 24 hours later than planned - luckily there was room on the next evening's flight, and on the connecting one to Cape Town. One thing is sure. Will check my passport every time before I leave home in future.

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited January 2014

Oh, ladies!  Sweetpickle, what a heartache.  I do know I really appreciated a good friend that had traveled this road a year before me.  Bailey, you are amazing and so are your parents.  Praying that everything will go smoothly for them.  Liefie, your and Bailey's stories just make me realize how happy I am that I switched from a consulting job to working from home.  Let's see, full time travel or working from home.  That was an easy choice I made over 14 years ago.  I am not a fan of airports for the reasons you two have experienced and more.

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited January 2014

News flash: Wilbur, the new cabana boy, is visiting nihahi

• Curlylocks
    Curlylocks Member Posts: 61
    edited January 2014

Awe Nihahi, hopefully you are being entertained and things went well! Yes the future is certainly very bright....I feel a little better and that things are turning the corner for sure.....

Bailey - what a worry, so many flights in the Toronto International Airport have been affected by this extreme cold.....many people waiting a few days now to get out of here....what a MESS!  Hoping your Dad's surgery goes well. You gave me a good laugh, enjoy that gorgeous hair of yours!

Michele

• Morningsun1
    edited January 2014

Hope your dad's surgery and thereafter goes super smooth, bailey. He is a super tough man.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited January 2014

Bailey- hope all goes well for your parents. What a day you have had. I am sure they will get there fine. How long are they in Germany and for how long? My friend's daughter lives there with her German hubby. 

Thinking about Wilber visiting 3 of our girls today. Can't wait to hear from you. 

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

I am home. Took about six hours but I am home. We received a very brief email from them saying they are in Lubbeck, very tired and going to bed. So, they are there...praise be to God. They have traveled extensively in the lower 48....by car. The was my dad's third flight ever and my mom's 2nd!!! So no experience with the ways of travel, especially in winter in the Midwest! 

They will be there 2-3 months, Cherrie. Where do your people live?

• Cherrie
    edited January 2014

Heidelberg, Germany

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited January 2014

Sweet, my sister, older by four years, was diagnosed with inflammatory BC 9 months after my diagnosis.  It was pretty awful, but we walked through it together, and her last herceptin was on Dec 27!  She's doing great.  I'm so sorry to hear about your sis.  BC should have gone the way of smallpox and the dodo bird, but we still have it.  Your sis having YOU to help navigate this will be a huge relief for her, I know.

Bailey, your parents are made of strong stuff, and so are you to brave blizzards and traffic and flight headaches for them.  Bless them and their journey, and bless your dad as he embarks on this life-changing surgery!  Did you know the Germans blazed the trail with open reduction and internal fixation of fractures?  Some of our soldiers came home from German POW camps in WW II with rods and pins and stuff, and at first the US physicians thought it was an odd form of torture...then they realized how brilliant these techniques were for fracture repair!

Nihahi, rest sweetly in Wilbur's arms.  We'll be happy to hear from you whenever you can focus your eyeballs.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited January 2014

Bailey, that is a wonderful story. And just goes to show the strength your family has. I had a similar (though I was younger) experience when I had a fall from my horse. I shattered my shoulder, neck and arm. I went to every orthopedic in the Philadelphia area and all of them wanted to plate me together with a million screws and I'd never be able to wear a shoulder seatbelt again. For six months I could not stand up or hold my small children. But I did research online and found a doctor who was willing to try to put me together again using a similar osseointegration, though it wasn't permanent. I went to Duke University in North Carolina and Dr. Basamania used a rod he invented that linked all the broken pieces together, then filled it with a healing essence he spun down from my blood cells. The rod also stuck out through my skin and it stayed that way until all the pieces joined. It was like a miracle. I traveled back to NC and he pulled the rod out. To this day I have a very tiny scar (only I know where it is) where the rod poked out, but I don't have any issues with my bones at all. Not a twinge, not an arthritic ache, nothing! 

Wishing your Dad and parents all the best and as you said, they worked hard to find an answer so I hope he is happy with the outcome. 

And hoping all the Wilbur girls are resting comfortably!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited January 2014

Wow, Bluebird! You have been through so much. I'm glad you have such a good result!

Liefie, what an adventure you had in Vancouver! I will check mine more closely when I use it, too.

Bailey, words fail me. All three are you are very brave! I hope your dad's procedure and recovery go really well and he comes home with something to teach our docs. Was DH mesmerized by your hair?? 

Nihahi, is Wilbur with you? I really hope you aren't hanging your head over a bucket...really, really praying you can avoid that.

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

Ooh, Heidelberg looks like a very long way from Lubeck (sorry I see I continue to spell it wrong).

Oh, Liefie, your journey started out bad, too...I certainly hope it improved quickly and stayed that way! Bless your DH! 

Edited to add: Oh rat's rump I missed a bunch of posts whilst speaking on the phone to an aunt and friend from work and my bff ....thank you all for your kind words and well wishes and shared stories. I am so excited for Dad. He will be teaching anybody who will listen and bending a few other ears as well, I am sure. 

Liefie while we were waiting for the plane we met a young family from Johannesburg. They were headed back home after visiting her father in Omaha. She had my dad's number right away. Her husband asked where my parents were traveling to and they said Germany and there was discussion of weather, of course. She looked at my dad (sitting there in shorts with his prosthetics showing) and said, "well, at least your feet won't get cold". Winking She later told me that her best friend's daughter is 18 months old and just recently had a leg amputated. She will eventually have the same surgery my dad is having. A doctor is flying in to Johannesburg to do the surgery, but she couldn't recall where the doctor was from. We were marveling at the possibility of it being my dad's doctor. Their little boy was about 5 and fascinated with my dad's "robot legs"....especially when dad released his knee "joint" and flipped the whole lower half of his leg 180 degrees.

We had a good time while waiting, because we always do, but it was heartbreaking at the same time. And worrisome. The stress was tremendous. I think dad was about to fly the plane himself. My mom just wanted to cry ....and go home....But she held up really well. They may still have rough road ahead....But they never have to do the last two over again....those are on the books. :)

No, Jeannie....it was false advertising lol....or maybe I pulled too much of it out during the 45 minutes I spent traveling 3 miles around Gary Indiana ....there was an accident with a semi truck :(

Blue - that is truly amazing. To have no arthritis or so much as a pain. I know so many people with residual pain from being broken. Bless you...and that doctor.

Sbel no I didn't know all that originated in Germany. I was a nurse's aide at the rehab hospital here for 4-5 years when I was young, so I have seen and cared for plenty of patients with pins, rods, screws, halos, etc. I think dad's type originated in Sweden. They do it all the time here in dentistry, but not with amputees....yet!

Ok I've edited this about 42 times. I think I have jetlag....from thinking about jets.

• liefie
    edited January 2014

Bailey, yes, my journey got off to a rough start, but the rest went like clockwork. DH felt soooo bad about the passport mix-up, but he certainly made up for it. I wish your parents uneventful traveling in Germany, and a very good outcome for your dad. They are real troopers!

Nihahi, sincerely hoping with Jeannie that you are resting comfortably, and avoiding the bucket. Hang in there now!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited January 2014

Bailey - Your dad is an inspiration. If I ever go down my pity highway, I'm going to think of him flipping his leg 180, and getting on that plane with your little mom even he wanted to go home . Amazing people. And I think your entire family unit sounds so strong and wonderful. A Thing in love, and and brave parents. 

Thinking of all the girls today who had a date with Wilbur

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited January 2014

Bailey,  Wow!  I am just amazed about your parents going to Germany and getting surgery done.  Your Dad must be a very strong and determined person.  Your mom probably didn't even bat an eyelash about going with him. What incredible parents you have.  They are in my prayers and may your Dad heal quickly so life can continue.  And giving your mom patience and strength for her to get to the other side of this surgery. 

• Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited January 2014

Nipple report - all is good. My nipple shrunk the normal amount & is only very slightly smaller that the natural one. All my friends & daughters had already told me it looked good. I get a tattoo touch-up in a couple of weeks to enhance the 3D effect. I am happy with my DIEP results & never thought at the age of 71 I would have perky D's & a flat tummy! I will probably be getting on with life & off the boards on a regular basis, but feel free to pm me with any questions. Prayers & good luck to those of you beginning this journey & those of you right behind me. God bless!

• liefie
    edited January 2014

Sharon, happy to hear all is well, and you are so pleased with your results. At 71 you have a lot of living ahead of you, so go out and enjoy it to the fullest!

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited January 2014

Congratulations, Sharon, on graduating from DIEP university!   I am not far behind......nipples in place, (and looking good) all I have left is tats......

If you are interested in a get-together......please check out Sunriver.......or Missoula........I'm with Bailey......let's make some plans!Nerdy

Nihahi.....sending (((hugs))) your way!

XO

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

Movie is there a specific web site you are looking at for accommodations in Sunriver?

We were waiting a bit until Nihahi gets a bit more past surgery and she and DH make some dates for later this year.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited January 2014

oh.....I MISSED that post!........Loopy

No specific web sight.....Sunriver lodge is one we can rent through, but there are 5-6 rental companies there.......I am pretty familiar with the village......know better areas to rent, and which are closer to stores/swimming, etc......as soon as we have a date.....(if we DO go there, no need for waiting for a football-free weekend) I will hop on it, and post info........

Remember, extra car (van, whatever) on me........

XO

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited January 2014

sbe- So glad to hear that your sister is doing well! I am grateful to be able to be there for her. I am sending her a chemo care package this weekend with all the things that helped me.  I was also able to share my brca test results with her docs which will help them know what to look for in her brca test. So while this sucks that she has to go through this, there are some silver linings in it.

Bailey- Hope all goes well for your dad, that is so brave to travel so far for treatment!

• Morningsun1
    edited January 2014

Movie and bailey, where ever you decide the place, count me in for the gathering.

• Cherrie
    edited January 2014

Me too! I have Mid- August to September open as of right now. 

• Cherrie
    edited January 2014

Through September open. 

• liefie
    edited January 2014

I'm also in for the get together, Sunriver or wherever it is.

• bailey6760
    edited January 2014

Good morning, Flappers! Mom and Dad called this morning. All is well. The anesthesiologist worked very hard to find a "fly in the soup" as the German surgeon put it, but there is none. Dad checks in Monday at noon and surgery is early Tuesday. My sister is headed out today and will be there late tomorrow afternoon. They are finding, as everyone told them, that many people speak English. This morning dad took his electric scooter to the grocery and a tiny 95 year old woman went all over the store searching for pepper for him and found it.

So they are there. They have a phone. Surgery is on. And they have pepper. Life is good :)

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2014

Sounds wonderful bailey....so happy things are falling into place for them. Must take a real load off your mind. Now you can really focus on that housework!!!!!.....btw....I'm been a bit slack around here for a couple days...so when you're done dusting in Michigan....I'm just sayin'....Nerdy.