Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2014

Congrats, Bailey! You can be rightly proud of your son!

Bluebird, always good to hear from you, and to see that you are getting better!

Good night, everybody, and sleep well.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited March 2014

Bosom- Nihahi, the Wise One is hard to argue with, isn't she?  So happy you are "getting your Warrior on".  We all care about you. Smile

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited March 2014

Bailey, my brother was an Eagle scout and my dad was the scoutmaster.  It was a HUGE deal when he earned it.  My own boys finished up Cub Scouts but then were so active in church group and sports and music, we just ran out of time in the week.  

Bosum, it seems to me like it's perhaps the anxiety of confusion that's being a barrier for you.  It might be that if you just take a deep breath and dive into the insurance mess, you WILL figure it out.  

Good Morning, world!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2014

Good Morning Aubrey - And GOOD MORNING BLUE! 

Bosum - I hope today is a less frustrating one, and I hope everyone is feeling well. Good advise from Nihahi - just  do what ought to done and try to have some fun as well. 

Well, I almost had stage 2 done yesterday. I booked in for an appointment with my handsome PS so check on my 'agressve' scars and make plans for our next step. But somehow I actually got booked in for the whole procedure, and when the nurse came to get me in the waiting room and told me the whole appt would take an a few hours, I almost slid off my seat. When the PS came in I told him I wasn't psychologically ready for stage 2. He laughed, and said 'ok. Another time then'.  I almost reconsidered because I could have just jumped on the table and have it done with. And I love my PS and wanted to spend the afternoon with him, but I just couldn't do it. Partly cus I'm a chicken, and partly cus I'm going on a vacation, and I don't want to be sitting on the edge of the pool again. I want to be in it.  But he explained exactly how it would be - and his calmness is contagious, so now I'm super excited about this next step. I'll be going the Jeannie route of staying awake, and I'm looking forward to talking Dr. H for an hour. This, of course, calls for a pedicure. 

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited March 2014

Good morning happy baby! There is something about smiling baby face, if you look at her, your mouth starts to curl up. Thanks for sharing sbe.

bosum, the exchange thingy bailiy posted works. My son just got insurance via the website and he said it was pretty easy.

I made myself a "sleep cream" and put on my feet last night and slept through the night without waking up. This morning I feel so refreshed! I've been waking up at least once every night since my stage I. 

Read you book on the TNS group, blue, looks like you are getting doing great! I am going to find that warrior bluebird pic bailey posted and change into that...

Do you have date with your handsome ps, Janet_M?

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited March 2014

morning aubrey....!!!! (such a sweetie). 

wowzer janet....I don't think I could have done it "spontaneously" either, pedicure is often not "up to par"! But in reality, it's the whole lipo while awake thing that has me anxious. What else is Dr gorgeous doing for a Stage 2 for you, besides nips??

• Janet_M
    edited March 2014

Nihiahi - Dr Dreamy is doing my left dog ear and a pair of nipples.  When I read about Jeannie going through her Stage 2 wide awake I was in awe, and didn't think I could do it. But this man is so calm and easy, that my inner warrior is jumping into 'I can do anything!' mode.

• Morningsun1
    edited March 2014

I am the total opposite, nihahi and Janet, I would have jumped on it.

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

I could handle the dog ear and the nipple recon, and the fat grafting.....it's the harvesting of the fat...aka lipo...that has me trembling. I've observed lipo surgery....it's not a delicate procedure to watch!!!!!! I'd rather have been awake for my flap...that is surgery to me, the lipo procedure...more like exploratory closed pit mining with a blunt shovel and a blindfold....Shocked!

editted to add....sorry if tmi....I'm going for a run to get my head in a better place.

• Janet_M
    edited March 2014

Yes - in retrospect I wish I'd jumped in too. I'd love to be that kibd of person.  I'm going away next week, and I don't want anything to interfere with that  trip. I tell myself that that's part of the reason - but in reality I'm just a big hairy chicken. But, I did call today and book my procedure which is coming up on May 27. Nipples for summer! Yahoooooo

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited March 2014

Bailey, you are right, we all get it. I'm so happy you get to experience these milestones.

No job for hubs yet but at least he is still interviewing. 

• liefie
    edited March 2014

I won't forget how the DIEP flap surgery was sprung on me 6 days before it was supposed to happen. Jumped right in, and had it done. Same thing now with stage 2 being moved up from April 23 to March 31, next Monday. But I agree, Janet, that would have been a bit fast for even me - LOL.

Hi Aubrey! You are a cutie pie! Got my daily photo from DD this morning of Emily sleeping in her bassinet with both arms stretched above her head, so relaxed and peaceful.

Nihahi, your description of lipo makes me shudder. I'm also having a little bit done on my dog ear, but do not have the slightest interest to see how it is done. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Bosum, good luck on your insurance issues. It sucks, but it is a bit like cancer. There is no way around it, just through it. Hope you can get it sorted.

Jeannie, still praying for DH and that job. Something's gotta give!

• Downey30
    Downey30 Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2014

TammyT,  what is the "sleep cream" you used on your feet?  I'm always looking for something to improve sleep.  Thanks, Jamie

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2014

Wow, I missed a whole page when I posted before!

Bosom, I sympathize with feeling stuck and overwhelmed. Baby steps are all I can do sometimes but at least it's a forward motion.

BLUE, it's understandable to feel sad and all kinds of emotions. Don't be hard on yourself! You are never alone with this flock of birds surrounding you.

Janet, wow, that would have been freaky! I would have needed at least fifteen minutes just to process. It really was a surreal experience for me. Breaking up the scar area in my boob with the lipo thingy was weird but not painful. I think I am good at "compartmentalizing." Of course, the scar area is still there but smaller. SadHonestly, the numbing shots on the outer edges of the boobs were all that twinged for me.I had my dog ear revised in the OR so I can't speak to that. I was pretty fascinated with the nipple construction although I didn't watch it all.  He also zapped little veins on my boobs with a cauterizer. My rads side looks a lot better in that regard but he had trouble getting the ones I really wanted done on the other side because they disappear under local. I may try that again. Maybe he can draw on them first with his purple pen. Why didn't HE think of that? Anyway, other than having to break the sterile field halfway through because I HAD TO PEE, the three hours flew by. He requested parenting advice and I got insight into, among other things, his "surgeon snootiness." He's always been kind to me, don't get me wrong. I think it's pretty common for surgeons to think highly of themselves which probably works in our favor. It was just interesting conversation. I wanted to be well-hydrated and caffeinated so maybe my bp wouldn't drop as it sometimes does. It worked but my bladder could only take so much.....

Liefie, so excited for you! Knowing you, you'll be just fine to play at church after six days.

Tammy, glad you got good sleep! What was in that potion of yours??

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

back and in a better head space....

liefie...I'm so sorry....didn't mean to scare you. You're going to do wonderfully. You have a history now of "spontaneous surgery" Loopy

My curse is knowing "too much" about surgical procedures sometimes. I need the details, mentally, but struggle to apply it to my own body, emotionally. I'm sure my PS will make sure I'm comfortable and amnesiac.....right????!!!!!!!!!! That's one of the things we'll be discussing.

bosum....nihahi is indeed a First Nations word. It means "a rocky place". Nihahi Ridge is a special place for a number of reasons to me. It is the gateway to the eastern slopes of the Rockies, in my part of the world. I have experienced deep emotions sitting on the ridgetop. I had "visions" of being on that ridgetop during the most powerful Reiki session I have ever had. It is the first hike I got my daughter to do with me. It is the first true hike I did after my flap recon.  I wanted a screen name that had positive emotions connected to it, but also acknowledged the "rocky path we are on in life". 

This is the trail you walk to get to the ridgetop......

This is the view from Nihahi Ridge top. To me.....it's a window into heaven.

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2014

Beautiful, Nihahi, both photo and words.

• liefie
    edited March 2014

Nihahi, 'spontaneous surgery' . . . . Whahahahaaaaa!!!!! You do have a way with words, really! No, I'm not put off by your description of liposuction. As long as I'm fast asleep, they can do whatever.

Jeannie, like your new avatar!

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

can't help you, bosum.....don't understand your system, sorry, but my inclination would be to be truthful. Rarely does deception work for me....and things can get screwed up when you're completely honest too.....("sayeth the dead person").

• liefie
    edited March 2014

Bosun, I'm with Nihahi. Honesty is the best policy. Once you start lying, it becomes a slippery slope.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited March 2014

Tammy -please share sleep cream recipe,

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited March 2014

Bosum- That is the program I used in here and this is how it went down for me. Found lump, called local health department and had an exam. She signed me up for the program for screening on the spot and said that if they found anything on mamo, I would be automaticly enrolled for coverage.

Having been on medicaid this past year, be honest because they will check against your medical records. I have until November but I wont qualify again next year because my income will be higher so I plan to buy the plan my dh did on the exchange. Hang in there, if you keep asking for help, it will come.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2014

Bluebird.....thinking of you as I finally drift off to sleep.....come fly with me!

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited March 2014

Bosum, I spoke to my PS on Monday about upcoming nip surgery and she said the scar would be right on the inner panty line (presumably that means I will be going commando for a month or so while it heals!) but regarding the hair, I'm going to have a couple of sessions of laser hair removal beforehand. Can't wait to explain why to the person doing it!

Tammy, recipe please?!

SBE, that pic of Aubrey and the dog reminded me of a story I read when my youngest was a baby about a woman who was germ obsessed for her baby daughter... until she found her sucking the dalmatian's tail!

Love to Bluebird and all you wonderful ladies.

• Janet_M
    edited March 2014

I think I missed I've missed a few pages. Just reading and the part that made me happy is Bluebird saying 'F*ck Cancer'

MUSIC TO MY EARS BLUEBIRD! GLAD TO KNOW YOU'RE IN THE MOOD TO BIGHT BACK!

Jeannie - Love your new Avatar - you just keep getting cuter and cuter. My whole procedure, (nips & a dog ear) will apparently take about one hour. There's no grafting - just a some origami on the boobs, and a small ellipsis around the dog ear,  where I'll have fat removed and be restitched. 

Nihahi - I'm the opposite of you. I don't want all the details - not at all. All I require from my surgeon are broad strokes, a lot of trust, and a recovery plan.

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2014

Hey all, need some advice. I was told no more mammograms and to do annual breast MRI's as a followup to my DIEP. I had my first MRI post DIEP in December and Blue Cross is refusing to pay for it. They keep telling me that I need to be doing mammograms! I'm about to be sent to bill collectors but I really don't want to pay another $4,000! Health care got enough of my money last year since I have a high deductible. What have the rest of you done for followup care and have you had any problems with insurance paying for it? (And is this okay to post here or do I need to put in under DIEP 2013 or 2014? I've moved on... except for these stupid bills!) ;)

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited March 2014

Klanders, have you written a letter and filed an appeal with Blue Cross?  I have Blue Cross as well, although there are a zillion different plans.  When they didn't want to pay for the cardiologist who read my echocardiogram (he was "out of network," but I was a hospital inpatient and he was just assigned to my case without any input from me), I wrote a letter to appeal the decision and won.

You might need to get a letter from the physician who ordered your MRI, and one from your plastic surgeon as well.  Don't let it go to collections if you can help it--call the MRI provider and let them know you're working with Blue Cross and not ignoring their bill. 

Good luck!

• Morningsun1
    edited March 2014

I am not sure how useful it is because the recipe calls for
    two of the Young Living (YL) Essential Oils blends and some singles. YL essential
    oils are expensive (imho). I believe other brand of the single EO can be used, but
    the two blends are YL special.

Recipe for Sleep
    Cream:

1/2 cup coconut oil, 8 drops each oils: lavender,
    cedarwood, Peace & Calming, and Valor.

Peace & Calming is a blend of orange, tangerine,
    ylang ylang, patchouli, and blue tansy.

Valor is a blend of rosewood, blue tansy,
    frankincense, and spruce.

Another version of the recipe calls for extra 5 drops of lemon
    and 4 drops of Thieves to be mixed in.

Thieves is a blend of clove, lemon, cinnamon bark,
    eucalyptus, and rosemary.

Apply to feet before bedtime.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited March 2014

Sbe....LOVE your adorable grandbaby!   Any picture of Aubrey is an instant hit with me!  

Nihahi....Love the pictures you posted......when my Mom passes.....I am heading up your way to get my brain put back together....Loopy

Jeannie.....keeping your DH (and YOU) in my prayers...XO

KLanders.....I am going to remember this when I am to have my MRI.....will clear it with insurance, first!  Good luck!

Tammy, I am a DoTerra gal myself......will have to see what works for sleep in their collection, and give it a try!  Thanks for the tip!

Well, I have to get my Mother's breakfast, and get her dressed, and then off to a friend's Birthday luncheon.......

Love you all!

• nihahi
    edited March 2014

movie....I'm going to hold you to that!!!!!! (but, hope Mom stays well for lots longer). Huggles, sister!!!!

awww bosum.....you just made my day!!!! But give YOURSELF the credit, YOU'RE the one who DID it......I'm just good at nagging....! So glad things are sorting out for you, at least in one category....keep the forward motion going gal!

klanders...wowzer, Shocked.....but sbe has the best advice, I would think. Communication is ALWAYS the best tactic, imo.....that way they are aware that you are trying to resolve the issue and not just trying to skip out. Hope it works out for you.

I was going to wish everyone a happy Spring.....but.....the scene out my window today brings a different emotion.....sooooobbbbbbb Sad

• Morningsun1
    edited March 2014

Moveie, dōTERRA's Serenity is the calming one.